Descendants: The Rise of Red

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Descendants: The Rise of Red

Post by Sotiris »

Two more Descendants movies are in the works. We don't know yet if any of the original cast will return. The animated special teased Alice in Wonderland, so it's safe to say the new movies will focus on the descendant of the Queen of Hearts.
Marsh is currently finalizing the first projects on the inaugural development slate of his company, including two new Descendants movies, extending the popular Disney Channel movie franchise.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/09/gary-marsh ... 234840832/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Re: Descendants: The Royal Wedding

Post by Disney Duster »

Yay! I hope they are live-action. I wish the Royal Wedding one had been, too.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

A new "Descendants" movie is being developed as a Disney+-exclusive movie under the working title "The Pocketwatch." It will apparently focus on the daughter of the Queen of Hearts and the daughter of Cinderella as they travel back in time (via the White Rabbit's Pocketwatch) to prevent a coup in Auradon--one tied to a new royal baby.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/descendant ... 235020234/
Disney Duster

Re: Descendants: The Pocketwatch

Post by Disney Duster »

Yay! Sounds great! But Cinderella had a son. Did they just never mention his sister till now? Maybe she was too young to go to the high school?
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Some casting announcements for "The Pocketwatch."

In addition to (confirmed) returning cast members China Anne McClain (Uma) and Melanie Paxson (Fairy Godmother), the biggest announcements are Rita Ora as the Queen of Hearts and Brandy as Cinderella--the latter reprising her role from the iconic 1997 ABC TV movie. (Perhaps THIS will convince Disney to get off their butts and put the movie on D+...)

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/brandy ... 235438829/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, Brandy reprising Cinderella again! Amazing news! But didn't you know, the ABC Brandy Cinderella is already on Disney+.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't like they're making Cinderella (1997) canon to the Descendants film series. The worlds of these two properties aren't compatible. I hate cheap gimmicks like these that put fanservice over world-building and consistency.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Disney Duster wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:18 pm Wow, Brandy reprising Cinderella again! Amazing news! But didn't you know, the ABC Brandy Cinderella is already on Disney+.
My mistake. Thank you, Disney Duster, for bringing it to my attention.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

No problem, NeoSuperBlissey! Now you can watch it on Disney+ whenever you want!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I forgot to say, I agree with Sotiris in his problem with crossing Disney properties with non-Disney ones, but I think Brandy is playing the Walt Disney Cinderella with just a wink to her Rodgers and Hammerstein one.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

This is a series I never intended to like very much, but it really grew on me and I think out of all the DCOM content, I revisit Descendants and it's sequels the most. I'm hopeful I like the direction this series is taking. Right now I don't have any strong opinions either way, but I am happy the see the lore of the universe expanding.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:25 pmOh, I forgot to say, I agree with Sotiris in his problem with crossing Disney properties with non-Disney ones, but I think Brandy is playing the Walt Disney Cinderella with just a wink to her Rodgers and Hammerstein one.
If that were the case, they wouldn't have cast a Southeast Asian actor to play the teenage version of Prince Charming. It's clear they are treating the 1997 Cinderella and Descendants as part of the same universe.

https://twitter.com/descendants/status/ ... 9614994437
Sotiris

Re: Descendants: The Rise of Red

Post by Sotiris »

The film will be called Descendants: The Rise of Red.

https://twitter.com/descendants/status/ ... 8319357954
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. I suppose you could be right, Sotiris. But then again if he is Prince Charming and not Prince Christopher, it could still be the Walt ones with winks to the Rodgers and Hammerstein ones. Maybe they are just blurring the lines, which, I understand you not liking, but Descendents was never faithful to Disney to me anyway with characters from completely different time periods and worlds going to a modern high school together.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

A new casting announcement for "Rise of Red" and another 1997 Cinderella reunion.

Website Deadline Hollywood is reporting that Paolo Montalban will be reprising his role as Prince (excuse me, KING) Charming and reuniting with Brandy Norwood as well.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/descendant ... 235307396/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

You can watch a behind-the-scenes video of them both, here. Why does Cinderella have blue hair? :eyebrow: Why is Christopher referred to as Charming? Disney should have done a sequel to the 1997 film if they wanted to capitalize on the nostalgia for the original so bad instead of making them part of the Descendants universe.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like their looks. But I guess they're paying full homage to the 1997 Cinderella now with colorblind casting with a Black woman and Filipino man having a white son.

I want you to know, Sotiris, I do understand your view. While I'm watching the film, would I see this Cinderella as Walt's or Rodgers and Hammerestein's?! But I have decided I can watch her and think she is Walt's with a wink to Rodgers and Hammerstein's.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

A new casting announcement: Alex Boniello ("Jessica Jones") has been cast as Jack of Diamonds, a member of the Queen of Hearts' army.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/descendant ... 235309355/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A new entry in the New York Times bestselling Descendants series by Melissa de la Cruz—and a prequel to the forthcoming Disney Channel Original Movie. Filled with humor and adventure, this novel tied to Disney Channel’s newest addition to the Descendants film franchise explores a madcap prequel set in Wonderland.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Isle-Lost ... 1368081436