Most anticipated Disney movie of 2023

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Most anticipated Disney movieAhof 2023

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah, thank you Sotiris! Whoops!
Sotiris

Re: Most anticipated Disney movie of 2023

Post by Sotiris »

According to a Fandango survey, these are the most anticipated films of 2023.
Most Anticipated Blockbusters

01. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3
02. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
03. Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
04. John Wick: Chapter 4
05. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
06. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
07. Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning (Part One)
08. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds & Snakes
09. Creed III
10. The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Most Anticipated Action/Adventure Movies (Non-Superhero)

01. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
02. Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning (Part One)
03. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds & Snakes
04. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
05. Fast X

Most Anticipated Superhero Movies

01. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3
03. Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
04. The Marvels
05. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

Most Anticipated Family Movies

01. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
02. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
03. The Little Mermaid
04. Haunted Mansion
05. Elemental

Most Anticipated Comedies (Live-Action)

01. Magic Mike's Last Dance
02. Barbie
03. Cocaine Bear
04. House Party
05. 80 for Brady

Most Anticipated Horror/Thrillers

01. Salem's Lot
02. Insidious: Fear the Dark
03. The Exorcist
04. Scream VI
05. M3GAN
Source: https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/gua ... 023-754674
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

AW YEAH! Guardians of the Galaxy sweep! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! It's my most anticipated movie of next year as well.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Excited for:

Dune, Part 2

Will watch, but not excited to see:

Scream 6
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 3
The Little Mermaid
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Elemental
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Barbie
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Wish
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I did a quick scan of films coming out in 2023 on Wikipedia to make a full list this time rather than Disney-only, since I think I've posted here before:

1. Wish ~ Julia Michaels being a radio artist is the only reservation I have about this one, otherwise I'd say this one's probably the most I've been excited for a Disney film going into it (so far) since Raya--and TP&TF before that.
2. Wildwood ~ Laika is great, and the plot sounds very interesting on top of some nice casting choices (Angela Bassett, Carey Mulligan, Awkwafina, Jacob Tremblay). I believe this is releasing next year?
3. How Do You Live? ~ Likewise with Laika, also a Ghibli fan, so I'm excited although the story sounds kind of boring. More in line with something like The Red Turtle, as far as my expectation is it may be beautiful and yet not something I'd watch often.
4. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse ~ Loved the first one.
5. The Color Purple ~ Fantasia's performance of "I'm Here" has always been incredible and tear-inducing even not having seen the show; I would have enjoyed seeing a film version of the musical even if Fantasia wasn't returning for the role though.
6. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 ~ The second one wasn't as good as the first, but still, pretty good.
7. Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget ~ Hate the ageist voice actor changes (other than Gibson, who was probably for different reasons), but I do like Zachary Levi.
8. Wonka ~ Adore Timothee Chalamet and this seems like it could be a fun concept. Olivia Colman should be fun, too.
9. Teen Wolf: The Movie ~ Another one I hadn't heard about until just now. I really enjoyed the series up until Alison's death, I forget what season. The fact that all the old cast is returning makes me interested to see what they'll do with it.
10. Shazam! Fury of the Gods ~ The first one was pretty fun, and (again) I like Zachary Levi a great deal these days after Tangled: The Series and the first Shazam! He seemed really nice during an interview on Sherri Shepherd's show earlier this year (for anyone interested)--and handsome, of course. ;)
11. The Little Mermaid Remake ~ Its tenuous connection to the original film keeps me chained to this thing, because it sounds and looks terrible. I do like Awkawfina, Tremblay, McCarthy, and Bailey (even if I think most of them are miscasts to varying degrees--the others I don't like and also find to be miscast except for perhaps Grimsby and Vanessa). A faithful remake more in the vein of the B&TB and Aladdin remakes would've been #3 at least for me. I say #3 rather than #1 because, while the original TLM may be my #1 film of all time, even the best a Disney remake could manage wouldn't be as good as a potential great original film, which is why I would still be more excited for Wildwood and Wish overall. :P Well, unless I had actually ended up with my dream cast (Midler as Ursula).
12. Sailor Moon Cosmos ~ Of course I'm a Sailor Moon fan although I've never been that interested in the Crystal series, tbh. It's sort of lifeless at times.
13. The Flash ~ The character along with Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman were the only good things about that Justice League film from some years ago, I'm surprised it's taken so long.
14. Nimona ~ Although I'm happy it's getting released and the story it's based on is something I'm interested in learning more about...the company is not one whose product I've ever had much confidence in. Still, I'm glad the backlash kept it from being vaulted by Disney.
15. Black Clover: Sword of the Wizard King ~ Black Clover isn't my favorite anime at all, but it's decent and "decent" with an animated product still gets more interest from me than most live-action stuff. The animation for the series has always been very pretty, too.
16. Renfield ~ Awkwafina, Nicholas Hoult.
17. Elemental ~ I'm sort of meh on this for now because of how formulaic it is, but the romance aspect is interesting. The fire character has the most potential from what I've seen so far. I'm trying to give current PIXAR a little more benefit of the doubt after Turning Red and Luca... We'll see.
18. Dune: Part Two ~ Love Chalamet and the first one did surprise me. Still, Zendaya will probably be much more heavily featured in this one and she isn't a very good actress, imo. *shrug*
19. Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
20. The Critic ~ Ian McKellen alone would be reason enough, but there's also Romola Garai (my favorite version of Emma, my favorite Austen novel <3), Mark Strong, Alfred Enoch (who has always been hoooootttt)... Strong cast with a somewhat interesting synopsis.
21. Scream VI ~ I actually only just watched V a week ago. I'd had it sitting on the DVR for the past month. It was okay, although I'd put 1-2 and 4 above it; at least it wasn't terrible like 3. So my expectation is this would most likely be at least "just okay" like V was.
22. The Marvels ~ I thought Captain Marvel was decent, so... Should be alright
23. The Super Marios Bros Movie ~ I'm going in with a great deal of skepticism. My gut instinct would be to expect it to be awful, but Sonic the Hedgehog was surprisingly pretty good.
24. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny ~ I've seen the others, so I'll see this, although I thought the last one was pretty weak even with Shia LaBeouf and Cate Blanchett there, who I thought would've lifted it.
25. Aquaman and the Last Kingdom ~ I like Jason Mamoa... I don't expect anything great, just something tepid or around that level.
26. The Deliverance ~ Mo'nique and Andra Day, plus it being an exorcism horror film, make it something potentially worth seeing.
27. Napoleon ~ Joaquin Phoenix is usually a great actor, so could be good.
28. Oppenheimer ~ Decent cast list between Murphy, Blunt, Malek, DeHaan, Goldwyn, Angarano, Zuckerman, D'Arcy and Hartnett, but with a most likely boring Oscarbait plot.
29. Barbie ~ One big question mark. Could go either way.
30. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes ~ I didn't know there was a prequel coming. THG was not one of my favorite series, although I'd say the first film was great and the rest of the story had its high points. It was sort of one of those things you watch once, but don't return to for me. Viola Davis though.
31. Knock at the Cabin ~ Rupert Grint + the plot.
32. Love Again ~ Priyanka Chopra, Russell Tovey, and the Celine Dion connection.
33. Haunted Mansion ~ Very skeptical about this, but I like Danny Devito, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tiffany Haddish, Jared Leto, and Dan Levy.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:10 am I did a quick scan of films coming out in 2023 on Wikipedia to make a full list this time rather than Disney-only, since I think I've posted here before:

1. Wish ~ Julia Michaels being a radio artist is the only reservation I have about this one, otherwise I'd say this one's probably the most I've been excited for a Disney film going into it (so far) since Raya--and TP&TF before that.
2. Wildwood ~ Laika is great, and the plot sounds very interesting on top of some nice casting choices (Angela Bassett, Carey Mulligan, Awkwafina, Jacob Tremblay). I believe this is releasing next year?
3. How Do You Live? ~ Likewise with Laika, also a Ghibli fan, so I'm excited although the story sounds kind of boring. More in line with something like The Red Turtle, as far as my expectation is it may be beautiful and yet not something I'd watch often.
4. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse ~ Loved the first one.
5. The Color Purple ~ Fantasia's performance of "I'm Here" has always been incredible and tear-inducing even not having seen the show; I would have enjoyed seeing a film version of the musical even if Fantasia wasn't returning for the role though.
6. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 ~ The second one wasn't as good as the first, but still, pretty good.
7. Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget ~ Hate the ageist voice actor changes (other than Gibson, who was probably for different reasons), but I do like Zachary Levi.
8. Wonka ~ Adore Timothee Chalamet and this seems like it could be a fun concept. Olivia Colman should be fun, too.
9. Teen Wolf: The Movie ~ Another one I hadn't heard about until just now. I really enjoyed the series up until Alison's death, I forget what season. The fact that all the old cast is returning makes me interested to see what they'll do with it.
10. Shazam! Fury of the Gods ~ The first one was pretty fun, and (again) I like Zachary Levi a great deal these days after Tangled: The Series and the first Shazam! He seemed really nice during an interview on Sherri Shepherd's show earlier this year (for anyone interested)--and handsome, of course. ;)
11. The Little Mermaid Remake ~ Its tenuous connection to the original film keeps me chained to this thing, because it sounds and looks terrible. I do like Awkawfina, Tremblay, McCarthy, and Bailey (even if I think most of them are miscasts to varying degrees--the others I don't like and also find to be miscast except for perhaps Grimsby and Vanessa). A faithful remake more in the vein of the B&TB and Aladdin remakes would've been #3 at least for me. I say #3 rather than #1 because, while the original TLM may be my #1 film of all time, even the best a Disney remake could manage wouldn't be as good as a potential great original film, which is why I would still be more excited for Wildwood and Wish overall. :P ). Well, unless I had actually ended up with my dream cast (Midler as Ursula).
12. Sailor Moon Cosmos ~ Of course I'm a Sailor Moon fan although I've never been that interested in the Crystal series, tbh. It's sort of lifeless at times.
13. The Flash ~ The character along with Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman were the only good things about that Justice League film from some years ago, I'm surprised it's taken so long.
14. Nimona ~ Although I'm happy it's getting released and the story it's based on is something I'm interested in learning more about...the company is not one whose product I've ever had much confidence in. Still, I'm glad the backlash kept it from being vaulted by Disney.
15. Black Clover: Sword of the Wizard King ~ Black Clover isn't my favorite anime at all, but it's decent and "decent" with an animated product still gets more interest from me than most live-action stuff. The animation for the series has always been very pretty, too.
16. Renfield ~ Awkwafina, Nicholas Hoult.
17. Elemental ~ I'm sort of meh on this for now because of how formulaic it is, but the romance aspect is interesting. The fire character has the most potential from what I've seen so far. I'm trying to give current PIXAR a little more benefit of the doubt after Turning Red and Luca... We'll see.
18. Dune: Part Two ~ Love Chalamet and the first one did surprise me. Still, Zendaya will probably be much more heavily featured in this one and she isn't a very good actress, imo. *shrug*
19. Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
20. The Critic ~ Ian McKellen alone would be reason, but there's also Romola Garai, Mark Strong, Alfred Enoch (who has always been hoooootttt)... Strong cast with a somewhat interesting synopsis.
21. Scream VI ~ I actually only just watched V a week ago. I'd had it sitting on the DVR for the past month. It was okay, although I'd put 1-2 and 4 above it; at least it wasn't terrible like 3. So my expectation is it would most likely be at least "just okay" like V was.
22. The Marvels ~ I though Captain Marvel was decent, so... Should be alright
23. The Super Marios Bros Movie ~ I'm going in with a great deal of skepticism. My gut reaction would be to expect it to be awful, but Sonic the Hedgehog was surprisingly pretty good.
24. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny ~ I've seen the others, so I'll see this, although I thought the last one was pretty weak even with Shia Labuff and Cate Blanchett there, who I would've thought would lift it.
25. Aquaman and the Last Kingdom ~ I like Jason Mamoa... I don't expect anything great, just something tepid or around that level.
26. The Deliverance ~ Mo'nique and Andra Day, plus it being an exorcism horror film, make it something potentially worth seeing.
27. Napoleon ~ Joaquin Phoenix is usually a great actor, so could be good.
28. Oppenheimer ~ Decent cast list between Murphy, Blunt, Malek, DeHaan, Goldwyn, Angarano, Zuckerman, D'Arcy and Hartnett, but with a (most likely boring Oscarbait) plot.
29. Barbie ~ One big question mark. Could go either way.
30. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes ~ I didn't know anything about a prequel coming. THG was not one of my favorite series, although the first film was great and the rest of the series had their good points. It was sort of one of those things you watch once, but don't return to for me. I do like Viola Davis though.
31. Knock at the Cabin ~ Rupert Grint + the plot.
32. Love Again ~ Priyanka Chopra, Russell Tovey, and the Celine Dion connection.
33. Haunted Mansion ~ Very skeptical about this, but I like Danny Devito, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tiffany Haddish, Jared Leto, and Dan Levy.
Have you seen Zack Snyders Justice league by any chance? :-)
Disney's Divinity

^ Yeah, I mentioned it in regards to The Flash above. While I didn't think Justice League was that great overall, it did make me interested in seeing a Flash film. That character, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, and the "Everybody Knows" cover that played over the opening credits were the best things about it for me.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:15 pm ^ Yeah, I mentioned it in regards to The Flash above. While I didn't think Justice League was that great overall, it did make me interested in seeing a Flash film. That character, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, and the "Everybody Knows" cover that played over the opening credits were the best things about it for me.
I’m not talking about the theatrical cut, Which is what you were talking about here I’m talking about the four hour version that’s available on HBO Max in the states/crave or wherever else you get that content And that you can still buy on iTunes and on Blu-ray :-)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Adds a Ton of 'Untitled Disney' Movies, Including One This Year
https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainm ... this-year/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney is expected to feature several trailers during the Super Bowl, including:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
The Little Mermaid
Pixar’s Elemental

Also possible:
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
The Marvels

Source:
https://deadline.com/2023/02/2023-super ... 235247160/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

According to Letterboxd, these are the most anticipated films of 2023.
Most Anticipated Films (as of December 2022)

01. Barbie
03. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
04. Dune: Part Two
05. Oppenheimer
06. John Wick: Chapter 4
07. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
08. The Marvels
09. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Asteroid City
Source: https://collider.com/most-anticipated-m ... etterboxd/
Most Anticipated Films (as of April 2023)

01. Barbie
02. Oppenheimer
03. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
04. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
05. Dune: Part Two
06. Killers of the Flower Moon
07. Asteroid City
08. Wonka
09. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. The Killer
Source: https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/ ... 0178240512
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I got my tickets to see Guardians of the Galaxy opening weekend in IMAX. :D Super excited about it.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I've heard a lot of bubbling about Barbie, so I'm not surprised. I guess because it looks sort of quirky? IDK, I'm not excited about it even though I was a child who played with Barbies. :lol: But I'm sure I'll see it at some point out of curiosity.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

According to a Fandango survey, these are the most anticipated summer films of 2023.
Most Anticipated Summer 2023 Movies

01. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
02. Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning (Part One)
03. The Flash
04. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
05. The Little Mermaid
06. Fast X
07. Barbie
08. Oppenheimer
09. Haunted Mansion
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
11. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
12. Insidious: The Red Door
13. The Meg 2: The Trench
14. Asteroid City
15. Gran Turismo
Source: https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1649072979689500675
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Is The Big Loser Of Summer 2023 - Examining Its $900 Million Worth Of Box Office Disappointments
https://screenrant.com/disney-movies-su ... ointments/
Disney's Divinity

Hopefully, Wish will become their second success this year, along with GOTG3. At least TLM and Elemental may break even despite their underperformance.

With TLM, it's pretty clear decisions to be unfaithful with that film are what hampered its ability to do as well as past remakes that were more faithful than it was what with both Mario and Barbie ending up in billion status on either side of it. Hopefully Hercules, L&S, Moana, etc. will be a return to more faithful remakes like Aladdin/B&TB/TLK/TJB in part because of Mulan's, TLM's as well as (more than likely) SW's failure. Elemental, on the other hand, I simply see that as a miscalculation on the company's part. They assumed going back to the formula would bring success and I'm personally glad it didn't--more incentive to embrace the new.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:53 pm Hopefully, Wish will become their second success this year, along with GOTG3. At least TLM and Elemental may break even despite their underperformance.

With TLM, it's pretty clear decisions to be unfaithful with that film are what hampered its ability to do as well as past remakes that were more faithful than it was what with both Mario and Barbie ending up in billion status on either side of it. Hopefully Hercules, L&S, Moana, etc. will be a return to more faithful remakes like Aladdin/B&TB/TLK/TJB in part because of Mulan's, TLM's as well as (more than likely) SW's failure. Elemental, on the other hand, I simply see that as a miscalculation on the company's part. They assumed going back to the formula would bring success and I'm personally glad it didn't--more incentive to embrace the new.
I actually think Elemental will have ended up having met expectations of ending up with $500-$600M WW and breaking even, if you ask the Box Office Reddit forums.

It’s really The Little Mermaid that underperformed.
Disney's Divinity

That's possible. I suppose they may have only expected around 600 million for Elemental. Whereas TLM, they expected in the 900 million-1 billion area.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:22 am That's possible. I suppose they may have only expected around 600 million for Elemental. Whereas TLM, they expected in the 900 million-1 billion area.
Do you think that the merchandise and home media sales will help the little mermaid do better? I mean at least you got the bare minimum to have a beer successful, and with it’s overall positive reception, not to mention it’s selling very well on VOD and other digital platforms, do you still think it’s possible for it to be considered “successful“ and or possibly get a sequel?