Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Post by Patricier21 »

https://youtu.be/qjJfN5H0XgI Here is my reaction to the new fantastic beasts movie about to come out! :-)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think it looks decent. I hope it's better than the second one, but I don't have much hope. I'll still buy it though. I don't blame Rowling since the second film felt sort of like the HP films where it's nothing but plot and with all the charm of the books excised. The problem being there isn't a book to turn to for the missing charm with Fantastic Beasts, unfortunately. I hope eventually she'll write book versions or at least release the screenplays she probably has saved from before the executives interfered and started cutting all over the place to get the missing content. It's just a shame they ruined the films here, too, since I liked Eddie Redmayne's Newt.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore's first reactions have arrived

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3957 ... umbledore/
Disney's Divinity

I hope it does well to get 4 and 5 as originally intended (as streaming releases, if nothing else). Although, admittedly, that was because of how much I loved Jacob, Queenie, Credence, and most of all Newt, and the 2nd one sidelined Newt altogether. I blame that on the WB people interfering because I don't believe Rowling would have sidelined her own protagonist like that. Those people did the same thing to HP, as far as making them nothing but plotplotplot at the speed of light with none of the warmth of the books, which is why I blame them. Unfortunately, we don't have the non-screwedup version to refer to in this case. Maybe they learned their lesson and will let Newt and the other characters shine more here. We'll see. Those early reviews definitely give me hope!!

I wish she'd write a book version that's unaltered, especially if the third one is the last. Either way, I'm glad the romance between Dumbledore and Grindelwald is overt in some of the stuff that's been revealed of the movie, that way nobody can pretend it's not a fact of the story now. And even though I believe Depp should get his jobs back now the accusations have been proven false, at the same time he was never a good choice for Grindelwald to me... So I'm excited to see someone different, hopefully better in the role. And Mikkelsen is probably a good choice, since I think he's known for playing a LGBT romance in the past, that was complicated (as far as one of them being a villain / monster) in Hannibal.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I hope it does well to get 4 and 5 as originally intended (as streaming releases, if nothing else). Although, admittedly, that was because of how much I loved Jacob, Queenie, Credence, and most of all Newt, and the 2nd one sidelined Newt altogether. I blame that on the WB people interfering because I don't believe Rowling would have sidelined her own protagonist like that. Those people did the same thing to HP, as far as making them nothing but plotplotplot at the speed of light with none of the warmth of the books, which is why I blame them. Unfortunately, we don't have the non-screwedup version to refer to in this case. Maybe they learned their lesson and will let Newt and the other characters shine more here. We'll see. Those early reviews definitely give me hope!!

I wish she'd write a book version that's unaltered, especially if the third one is the last. Either way, I'm glad the romance between Dumbledore and Grindelwald is overt in some of the stuff that's been revealed of the movie, that way nobody can pretend it's not a fact of the story now. And even though I believe Depp should get his jobs back now the accusations have been proven false, at the same time he was never a good choice for Grindelwald to me... So I'm excited to see someone different, hopefully better in the role. And Mikkelsen is probably a good choice, since I think he's known for playing a LGBT romance in the past, that was complicated (as far as one of them being a villain / monster) in Hannibal.
If I may ask, have you seen the extended edition of crimes of Grindelwald? There is also access to an even extra Extended cut that I could give to you with anyone else on this forum that might help with a lot of problems that they may have with the movie :-)
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

But we need to worry about more is people refusing to go and see it all because of her comments; I’d highly encourage and recommend everyone [please Encourage as many other people as you can as well please :-) See it as many times as they can in theaters, and even If possible,buy a ticket for it In place of going to see another movie so that way it still gets money without you actually having to see it multiple times. Buying as many merchandise directly related to it as possible will also truly help.

Also remember that if you’re refusing to see it because of #JohnnyDeppIsMyGrindelwald Then please remember that this movie needs to do well so as to give Johnny the chance to actually come back in the Later movies, For the actor who played MacNair The executioner was re-casted for prisoner of Azkaban and then came back for order of the Phoenix. The bottom line is that if #FantasticBeastsTheSecretsOfDumbledore Doesn’t do well, And they don’t make the remaining two movies,then Johnny definitely will never be back as Grindelwald!Plus you also have to remember that it’s about to be a new company with new people over seeing it, So as such you were technically not paying that company and are actually giving more of a chance than not having him actually return. Especially depending on what may happen with the results of his trial that’s going to be happening shortly after the movie comes out, the new people taking over Warner Bros. right before it comes out……

Also remember in regards to her that she doesn’t necessarily get a whole lot of money from this, as well the fact remains that as many people have pointed out that she already has so much money that not supporting the series will not really change any kind of “power“ that you may have against her, and after all the series should not suffer at all because of her for Regardless of what you may think, nothing I repeat nothing will ever ever truly take away what a series overall truly means to you let alone other people, And again it’s not The series that’s the problem at all in any kind of way :-)
Disney's Divinity

Patricier21 wrote: If I may ask, have you seen the extended edition of crimes of Grindelwald? There is also access to an even extra Extended cut that I could give to you with anyone else on this forum that might help with a lot of problems that they may have with the movie :-)
Yeah, I have the Blu-ray. I didn't dislike it as much as other people, I just hated that there weren't those small, warm moments with Newt, Jacob, and Queenie like in the first one.

I don't blame people for not seeing this or buying anything by her, that's their choice and I understand it. I personally don't believe she hates trans people outright despite her mistaken comments. I guess I'm more forgiving because I know she was a battered woman and how that could've caused her to fall for the fearmongering talking points out there about trans people. It's a shame though and I do hope she'll grow on the subject with time, even if on a religious level she may not agree. I don't really fear supporting her myself, personally, because she's always been blatant about being a liberal and a feminist whatever her hang-ups about the trans bathroom issue specifically. I don't believe her money is ever going to go to conservatives, but that's just my opinion. *shrug*
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

The first fantastic beasts is either my favourite or second favourite out of all the Wizarding world movies so Far, let alone within my top three favourite movies of all time and possibly my favourite live action movie of all time :-) The second one is also better than pretty much all of them except for the first fantastic beasts, the first two Harry Potter’s, and goblet of fire. Both fantastic beasts movies have Truly captured the essence and feeling of being in the Wizarding world especially [and ironically surprisingly] more than David Yates’ harry potter movies.

Indeed, I cannot believe how it’s actually possible for the same Director who gave us the worst harry potter movies actually gave us the leagues better fantastic beasts movies, let alone the fact of whether you agree or not, the fantastic beasts movies just feel and seem like they were made with more and better passion and effort, as if David Yates actually wants to make them out of passion and genuine interest as opposed to his other movies seemingly only being made for a paycheque/just trying to find the most efficient way of doing them/ the movies Just overall having this “let’s just get this over with” attitude.

I mean, the fantastic beasts movies do not have the horribly abysmal colouring and lighting that the David Yates harry potter movies have, even though they are still of course dark but at least you can actually see let alone actually care about what’s going on. As well, they have a lot more nuance with their filmmaking and just do a better job of capturing the emotion and connection and relationship between the characters without either over or under doing it or making it overly complicated.

As noted before when you watch them it just feels and seems like they’re having a lot more fun with it when regardless of what was in the script, as in the half blood Prince movie it was literally David Yates, Not originally the Script’s idea for the bridge scene, and even though the scene is decent in the movie, it still doesn’t feel like it was fully realize what it could’ve been, unlike literally everything that was in the fantastic beasts movies only suffering if any at all from the material that he was given. Again why couldn’t he have fully realized and made the scene more engaging in better with half blood Prince even though of course it was long before fantastic beasts? Same with the Sirius Black and Bellatrix dual in order of the Phoenix which he has stated that he apparently “understands“ why people are supposedly upset with the duel being cut short when it was in fact filmed [An even featured a bit in a teaser trailer and then some prominently released B roll footage], And would not of interrupted The overall pacing and flow all that much, When they were even other scenes they could’ve cut out to help with that.

#FantasticBeastsTheSecretsOfDumbledore
Disney's Divinity

Patricier21 wrote:The first fantastic beasts is either my favourite or second favourite out of all the Wizarding world movies so Far, let alone within my top three favourite movies of all time and possibly my favourite live action movie of all time :-) The second one is also better than pretty much all of them except for the first fantastic beasts, the first two Harry Potter’s, and goblet of fire. Both fantastic beasts movies have Truly captured the essence and feeling of being in the Wizarding world especially [and ironically surprisingly] more than David Yates’ harry potter movies.
I agree, the first Fantastic Beasts is great. My ranking of all the HP-related films would be:

1. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
3. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
4. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
8. Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald
9. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
10. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

4 and 5 are close to tied for me. After those, HBP is decent. 7-8 are okay, but not something I would re-watch often. 9-10 are absolute dumpster fires. I do love Imelda Staunton as Umbridge even despite the OotP film being a miss in bringing her to life as truly horrible and menacing as she was in the book; it wasn't Staunton's fault at all, she was a perfect cast and she shines more in her one scene in DH-P1, I think. She's the main reason I put OotP above GoF.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Also keep in mind like most people are not actually acknowledging that even though it’s not the best example they have at least one transgender person or someone who identifies themselves as “They” in the cast so much for her transphobia……
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

And now here’s my out of theatre reaction towards it :-)

https://youtube.com/shorts/r2hfHK6C4TU?feature=share
Disney's Divinity

Box Office: 'Fantastic Beasts 3' Becomes Warner Bros.' Fourth Covid-Era Movie to Top $400 Million
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 0-million/

The funny thing is the article goes on to argue this film isn't a hit despite that title, lol. They compare its gross to the previous two despite COVID making them incomparable; really just a case of the media wanting something to be true regardless. The author clearly has an ax to grind considering they even came out and said they wanted FB2 to be a flop. Wahwah. By that logic, Sonic 2 and Dune were also flops.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The box-office is a lot more recovered now, so I don't think movies underperforming can be blamed on the pandemic anymore. The demographic breakdowns for Top Gun: Maverick even show that older audiences (who have been the most reluctant to return to theatres) are coming back. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 managed to make more than the first, The Batman and Uncharted have started new franchises and even The Lost City topped $100 million domestic, something few romantic comedies have done in the last ten years. There's also the impressive staying power of Everything Everywhere All at Once, which is now A24's highest grossing movie.

I think Fantastic Beasts 3 was always going to see a drop, considering the less-than-enthusiastic response to Crimes of Grindlewald. When there are other tentpoles (like the aforementioned Batman, Sonic and Top Gun) performing really well, that this became the first Wizarding World film to make less than $100 million domestic probably won't please Warner Bros. They have higher expectations for the Harry Potter brand.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

estefan wrote:The box-office is a lot more recovered now, so I don't think movies underperforming can be blamed on the pandemic anymore.
If that were true, I don't believe this would be only the fourth movie since 2020 to have managed this "feat" for WB. I think a fourth one will happen, not so sure about a fifth one.

What I feel certain will happen after this franchise is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (likely split into 2 or 3 parts) with the return of Emma Watson, Dan Radcliffe, and Rupert Grint. There have been rumors of a HP mini-series at HBO, and I really wish that would happen. I've always wanted a proper telling of HP with lots of breathing room, similar to what's been happening with The Golden Compass at HBO as well as the new Amazon series for LOTR. A 10-episode season per book at least, would be such a wonderful idea.