Jules' Disney Music Piano Performances

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Jules' Disney Music Piano Performances

Post by Jules »

I can't believe I finally did this.

I've been here for over 15 years, yet somehow almost never mentioned the fact that I am a classical pianist. I started lessons at age six, and "discovered" that I could play by ear at age seven. I've been playing ever since, and completed my piano diplomas about 10 years ago, though I've since slowed down greatly and sometimes go months with barely touching the keyboard.

Oddly, despite being just the right age when YouTube came along, I never really uploaded anything of note to the internet. I think I was just too depressed and insecure about it.

Well, now I'm 32, and I guess it's about time I put something on YouTube.

I think I last played about two weeks ago. I'm feeling rather sad right now, and came to my keyboard to play about 3 hours ago. Then, I spontaneously decided I wanted to record the theme song from "Mickey's Christmas Carol." I practised it for about 75 minutes, and recorded it! I couldn't believe I'd done it when I saw the finished footage.

It's not perfect. There are imperfections in my performance that bother me, but I figure getting this out there is important. I'm sharing it here as an unlisted video as I am still unsure whether it's fit for complete public consumption.

I wish I wore something better or even shaved, but oh well! :lol:

I hope you guys enjoy this, and I hope I get the courage to create more.

https://youtu.be/vouDfnXHenM
Last edited by Jules on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Jules' Disney Music Piano Performances

Post by Disney Duster »

That was really lovely. I can't even remember that song from that special, and yet here it's a beautiful piece that you played beautifully. And you looked so cute doing it! I don't see why you shouldn't make it public, too.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Thank you so much for the kind words Duster. :)

If I keep making videos, my aim is to create my own piano arrangements of mostly animated film music. If I am honest I am not too keen to do mega-popular pieces like A Whole New World or Let It Go. I guess it's just that I imagine YouTube is already filled to the brim with piano covers of those, and everybody will just yawn at a "new" piano version. (Not that I wouldn't consider them entirely.) I think I would prefer to adapt lesser known music. I have my eyes (ears?) set on the overture to Miyazaki's Nausicaa and even the end credits music from Black Cauldron. I really, really, REALLY want to do a lot of the music from the Ward Kimball-directed Disney short - Melody. I love that thing to bits. ("The Bird and the Cricket and the Willow Tree" sounds lovely on piano.)

Years ago I was considering a medley of Scott Bradley's Tom and Jerry music, but that's QUITE an undertaking. :wink: I've also found myself riffing on several themes from the classic Silly Symphonies along the years. (Escpecially "The Flying Mouse.") However, my improvisations for those are not yet really structured, and I am still unsure whether I should create my own "piece" using the musical themes, or faithfully recreate the entire soundtrack from start to finish. For obvious reasons, the former is a lot easier.

I'm also interested in video game music, and would love to share some of my renditions from Final Fantasy VII (specifically those that do not have an official piano arrangement by Shiro Hamaguchi.) Maybe I can find a way to make Crash Bandicoot music sound good on piano, or some classic Commodore 64 tunes. 8)

EDIT: Can anybody tell me how to embed the YouTube video rather than posting the link? I tried both the YouTube tags, as well as the BBCode supplied by YouTube itself, but neither worked.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jules wrote:and even the end credits music from Black Cauldron
:pink: :pink:

I bet we had some different games than each other, but what Commodore 64 music are you thinking about?!

I have had issues imbedding pic/video links for years...

Okay, I just watched the video - my mind is blown!!-- I love the winter wonderland you are in! I am BEYOND IMPRESSED (yes, I am yelling)-- you are so talented and are you a musical genius? You improvised that?! And you played without sheet music?!? That was amazing and I subscribed to your channel and I would love to see more!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I bet we had some different games than each other, but what Commodore 64 music are you thinking about?!
Well, I've long wanted to try the music from The Last Ninja, specifically the first level of the game. I think it's known as "The Wastelands." Ftr, that's as far as I got. The game was so damned difficult! :lol: The music was incredible. I think what composer Ben Daglish managed to achieve with just three synthesised voices in unison is remarkable. The music sounds way "bigger" than one would ever expect of the hardware limitations. (To be fair, though, the C64 did have the best sound chip of any computer of its time, and even those that came after!)

I am also considering Mark Cooksey's music for Ghost 'n' Goblins. There may be others I'm forgetting.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Okay, I just watched the video - my mind is blown!!-- I love the winter wonderland you are in! I am BEYOND IMPRESSED (yes, I am yelling)-- you are so talented and are you a musical genius? You improvised that?! And you played without sheet music?!? That was amazing and I subscribed to your channel and I would love to see more!
OMG, thank you so much Amy! :) :oops: It's lovely to see you so excited. You made my day!

Yes, that is improvised. I specified that in the opening titles because while the piece is certainly my arrangement, that same arrangement is not set in stone. Basically, every time I play it, it'll be a bit different than the last time I did. I never remember the exact harmony and musical texture I used the previous time I played a musical piece by ear. I may remember certain stylistic touches I make, but do not reproduce a performance note for note. To be able to play it the same every time, I'd need to write it down as sheet music and stick to that arrangement religiously.

I don't know about genius. :oops: I am aware that I can play very well, and certainly as a young child I recall lots of praise at school when playing during events like school concerts or talent shows. I won't forget when I played my own rendition of the "Hooked on a Can Can" medley at school in the main hall. I was eleven years old at the time. (I used to listen to "Hooked on Classics" obsessively as a toddler.) However, rather oddly, awareness of my abilities never really translated to a motivation to broadcast them ... and I don't know why. It's like I was trapped in a shell, and starting in my teenage years till today, my audience has always been the desk and the computer and potted plant and all the other furniture I have in my music room. They are not very receptive, but they don't make a nuisance of themselves either. :|

EDIT: The last time I played to an audience was in 2010, when my piano examiner chose me to perform at the graduation ceremony of my second piano diploma, along with some other students. I was selected again for the ceremony of my final diploma, but I was so depressed that I ended up not submitting any piece, and did not participate in the recital. That was a sad occasion. It's really odd when you're graduating with such a qualification (it should be a joyous experience) and don't even want to go. I don't even have a photograph of that ceremony. I think my brother shot a video of my performance the year earlier, though it's very low quality.

I apologise for being such a downer. I'll perk up now, honest. :)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jules wrote:Basically, every time I play it, it'll be a bit different than the last time I did. I never remember the exact harmony and musical texture I used the previous time I played a musical piece by ear.
That makes perfect sense.
Jules wrote:my audience has always been the desk and the computer and potted plant and all the other furniture I have in my music room. They are not very receptive, but they don't make a nuisance of themselves either.
:p I think it's common to keep talents to oneself I suppose. It's cool that you're starting to share more with the world.
Jules wrote: really odd when you're graduating with such a qualification (it should be a joyous experience) and don't even want to go.
I can absolutely relate to depression not wanting you to do anything. I'm sorry you were going through that though. :( A memory still happened even if there no photographic evidence of it. :)

Yeah, I am not familiar with those games! We had a few but not those!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Thank you for your thoughts, Amy.

I am considering a medley of The Beautiful Briny, The Age of Not Believing and Substitutiary Locomotion as my next piece. Not sure if it'll work pianistically. Guess I'll find out! :)

If that fails for now, or requires a lot of practice, I guess I can fall back on the Nausicaa overture (or something else.)
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Jules this is amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You're so talented! Can't wait for whatever you have in store for us next...
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Thank you so much Steve! :float: I am practicing the Bedknobs and Broomsticks medley right now! (I'm taking a break because my wrists are getting tired. :wink: ) It's coming along quite nicely, but it's a bit more complicated than the last one, and not something that will be ready to record in 60 minutes. :P I will need days to master this one, if I can fit in a practice session daily.

It will open with The Beautiful Briny. I have made some minor but necessary alterations to the structure to accomodate the medley. It will then transition to The Age of Not Believing, which will serve as a brief bridge (and a musical breather), and then climax with Substitutiary Locomotion. The last one is the most difficult to play. It requires a few leaps, and I am crossing over my hands at times to create certain effects. The fact that I am very much out of practice doesn't help either. :mischief:

As much as I can, I aim to retain Irwin Kostal's orchestral texture for Beautiful Briny (in piano form), but will take The Age of Not Believing into a slightly different direction (a semi-Romantic/20th Century style). Substitutiary Locomotion should feel faithful in spirit to Kostal's arrangement, but will have differing elements.

Stay tuned! :) I don't know when it will be ready, and when it is, recording may take long if I make mistakes. (That happens a lot when you know the camera is rolling. :P ) But I do hope I can complete it soon, and I can't wait to share it!

EDIT: Just realised it's 10 PM. Perhaps I'd better call it a day. The next door neighbours may not appreciate a blaring piano at this ungodly hour. :P
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

Hey, Jules! I’m actually a composer/arranger and a fellow pianist! I’ve been studying Alan Menken for a few years now, and after writing some music for a 20-piece orchestra I’ve decided to transition to piano solos. I’ve also arranged/transcribed some of Alan Menken’s songs, straight from video footage, filling in the rest by ear. I could send you the sheet music if you're interested. :)

EDIT: Okay, that sounded pretty dodgy, didn’t it? Sorry, mate. In case you don’t want the sheet music, most Alan Menken songs can be played with a (in the key of C) C, A, F, G chord progression. He also loves to base his melodies around (in the key of C) an octave from G to G with the middle three notes (C, D and E).

Does anyone else want the sheet music? I did, Colors of the Wind, A Whole New World, Santa Fe, and Be Our Guest. They’re all as close to what Alan Menken plays as I can get them. My other non-Alan-Menken Disney songs I transcribed/arranged are Lost in the Woods, and Into the Unknown. I also did full scores of Lost in the Woods and Into the Unknown, along with Santa Fe, although I never finished that one because I lost enthusiasm after it got to the western-instrumental part. :lol:
"You're my favorite deputy!"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I was just to post another update to this thread, when I realised you left me a new post, Woodrow Wilson, and I never read it!

I would love to see you play if you have videos available, and I am impressed that you've arranged music for a 20-piece orchestra! I went back to college last October, and am currently reading for a Bachelor of Music degree, but I have never even thought about arranging for orchestra, probably because the thought alone intimidates me! (However, I intend to learn. I will be doing composition and orchestration in the second year of my degree programme.)

Anyway, forgive me all for never following up my first post with any new videos. However, I am in the process of uploading new (unlisted) videos of a live performance of mine at the Sala Isouard - part of the historic Manoel Theatre in Valletta.

In short, last November I was told a special awards event organised by the University of Malta was in need of a musician, and I jumped at the opportunity. The brief was "film music," but otherwise I had carte blanche. The downside is that it was very short notice. I had just a week to perform! However, I set to work, and in two days I created arrangements for a medley from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, for the Main Theme from Jurassic Park, as well as the suite from Independence Day. I spent the week furiously practising, memorising, and tinkering with the arrangements till the last moment - a full 17 minutes of complex music, which was a very difficult task to do in a week. And then the big day came, and everything unravelled. For reasons I will not get into here, I could not perform. I was devastated.

However, my piano tutor at university listened to the pieces and told me to perform them at a Christmas concert that was to be held on 2nd January 2024. I was thrilled, and even had the opportunity to bolster the programme, as the concert required 30 minutes of music.

I performed the following pieces yesterday. They are all arranged by me except were noted.

1. IRWIN KOSTAL Oh, What a Merry Christmas Day (from Mickey's Christmas Carol, 1983),
2. NOBUO UEMATSU One-Winged Angel - Arranged by Shiro Hamaguchi (from Final Fantasy VII, 1997)
3. DARIO MARIANELLI Dawn - Arranged by the composer (from Pride & Prejudice, 2005)
4. DAVID ARNOLD Independence Day Suite (from Independence Day, 1996)
5. NOBUO UEMATSU Tifa's Theme - Arranged by Shiro Hamaguchi (from Final Fantasy VII, 1997)
6. RICHARD M SHERMAN A Medley of Music from Bedknobs and Broomsticks (from Bednknobs and Broomsticks, 1971)
7. JOHN WILLIAMS Main Theme (from Jurassic Park, 1993)

While I did get an attack of nerves at the keyboard, and the resulting performances were far from my best, the concert was a resounding success. It seems the music was greatly appreciated by the audience, and I am very happy. I should write here that this was my first public performance in over 12 years, and my first one of note.

Thankfully, my brother captured my performances on his phone. The videos are shot at an awkward angle, but the audio is quite clear. I performed on a magnificent Bosendorfer grand piano, and my only regret is that with the nerves I was battling, I did not bring out the contrasts in the music adequately. I need a greater dynamic range in my playing, and more delicate, pianissimo passages.

I will be uploading some of the pieces to Youtube and posting the links here. I hope you enjoy them. :)
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

And the first video is up!

Here is my rendition of the music from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, featuring "The Beautiful Briny", "The Age of Not Believing" and "Substitutiary Locomotion." Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qs2Jc6K7lQk?si=gMKXkjtRtnUR3G29
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Jules wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:36 pm And the first video is up!

Here is my rendition of the music from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, featuring "The Beautiful Briny", "The Age of Not Believing" and "Substitutiary Locomotion." Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qs2Jc6K7lQk?si=gMKXkjtRtnUR3G29
Jules, I don’t know the first thing about piano or music but that couldn’t have been an easy piece to perform. You are very talented! I always forget how beautiful “The Age of Not Believing” is— thank you for sharing with us!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Thank you so much UF. :) No, it isn't easy, especially the climax. I made quite a few slips throughout, but I disguised them by improvising a bar to fill in when needed. One day, I'd like to record the piece at home, but first I think I need to make further revisions to "The Age of Not Believing." I repeat the theme thrice, with variations. I think I need to find a way to distinguish the third iteration a bit more.

Anyway, new video! Here is the Main Theme from Jurassic Park. In creating this arrangement, I followed the recording of the Vienna Philharmonic, conducted by John Williams himself.

https://youtu.be/1A7VyksT8bI?si=MhwawCndTnaok49j
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I agree with UmbrellaFish, I'm completely musically illiterate but those two performances of yours were quite lovely. I think I enjoyed the Jurassic Park theme a tad bit better. But keep 'em coming! You're very talented, Jules.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Well done Jules, sounds great :clap: :clap: :clap:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That bit of "The Age of Not Believing" was nice, but you made the Jurassic Park one so beautiful! Magnificent, Jules!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Hey Jules, I watched your video. Congratulations, that performance was beautiful and so passionate.

I actually share your hobby, because I play the saxophone. I can play by ear, too, and at some point, I played "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca. But it's been so long since I last played.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Thank you all for the kind comments. :)

I have still not shared my rendition of the Independence Day Suite, composed by David Arnold, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_KRkiGs40

I am aware the world has a love-hate relationship with the movie. I happen to think it's pretty darn good, but it wouldn't be the same without David Arnold's music. I based my arrangement on the suite as it is heard on the film's end credits. (However, I made some ommissions and additions, and my performance runs 7 minutes - one minute less than the orchestral version.)

Enjoy!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like Independence Day fine, but I sure LOVED your playing of that score! It was truly so beautiful! So, I guess that movie has a great score, I just never realized!