Oscar for Best Original Song 2020—Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Oscar for Best Original Song 2020—Present

Post by D82 »

"Naatu Naatu" from RRR, the song that won at the Golden Globes, has also gotten the Critics' Choice award.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's next year's nominated song by Diane Warren. :P I'm just kidding. I don't think it's the kind of song that tends to get nominated, but I said the same about previous titles by her that ended up doing just that, so who knows. However, as we know, she has also written a song for The Little Mermaid remake that will be released this year as well. If it turns out to be in the film itself and it's not for an album with songs inspired by the movie, then I think that one is probably more likely of having Oscar chances. This one is titled "Gonna Be You", it's from the film 80 For Brady and it's performed by Dolly Parton, Belinda Carlisle, Cyndi Lauper, Gloria Estefan and Debbie Harry.

By the way, here's my attempt at ranking this year's shortlisted songs. I quite like the first two. From 3 to 12, I think they're OK, and I don't like the last three.

1. “Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
2. “Til You’re Home” from “A Man Called Otto”
3. “Applause” from “Tell It like a Woman”
4. “Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick”
5. “My Mind & Me” from “Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me”
6. “Ciao Papa” from “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”
7. “Time” from “Amsterdam”
8. “Nothing Is Lost (You Give Me Strength)” from “Avatar: The Way of Water”
9. “Naatu Naatu” from “RRR”
10. “Stand Up” from “Till”
11. “Good Afternoon” from “Spirited”
12. “Carolina” from “Where the Crawdads Sing”
13. “This Is A Life” from “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
14. “New Body Rhumba” from “White Noise”
15. “Dust & Ash” from “The Voice of Dust and Ash”

And these are the ones I predict will be nominated:

“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
“Ciao Papa” from “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”
“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR”
“Applause” from “Tell It like a Woman”
“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick”
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The Oscar nominations are out.
Best Original Song

"Applause" — Tell It Like a Woman
"Hold My Hand" — Top Gun: Maverick
"Lift Me Up" — Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
"Naatu Naatu" — RRR
"This Is a Life" — Everything Everywhere All at Once
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Diane Warren did it again! She will be attending the ceremony as both an honoree and a nominee. Though, she's not likely to win this time either. I'm rooting for "Lift Me Up" from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever to get the Oscar, but I guess "Naatu Naatu" from RRR is the frontrunner, having won both the Golden Globe and the Critics' Choice award.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Is it possible that next year Alan Menken will have two songs nominated - one for The Little Mermaid and one for Spellbound?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:04 pm Is it possible that next year Alan Menken will have two songs nominated - one for The Little Mermaid and one for Spellbound?
That would be great, although perhaps he would have a higher chance of winning if only one got nominated, as the two could cancel each other out. Maybe he's more likely to be nominated for Spellbound, since the songs from his previous Disney remakes ("Evermore" and "Speechless") didn't manage to do so. In fact, no Disney live-action remake has been nominated for Best Song yet.

This time, though, his partner is Lin-Manuel Miranda and he's quite liked by the Academy, so who knows, perhaps that'll help. This is another opportunity for Lin-Manuel to achieve EGOT status, by the way. I bet the one they plan to submit is Ariel's new song "For the First Time" since it's the one they're highlighting in interviews. Speaking of that, it just occurred to me that there's a possibility that both Halle Bailey and Rachel Zegler might be performing at the Oscars next year (if both films get nominated in the category and the songs are sung by their respective characters).

This is also Wish's year. Can three songs from animated musicals be nominated in the same year? It seems a bit unlikely, but who knows; if the songs are good, maybe it's possible.
Last edited by D82 on Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Honestly, with the Academy's bias against him, it would be a small miracle to just have one song of his nominated. I can see him getting shortlisted this year, but getting nominated will be an uphill battle. Perhaps the Academy's love for LMM will swing the pendulum in his favor. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't nominate a Mermaid song after all and choose to give LMM another nomination for some other project of his down the road.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up this time. I'm just excited we'll get these new projects by him and happy he continues working.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘I’m Just Ken,’ ‘Peaches’ and More Front-Runners for 2024 Oscar Nods for Best Original Song
https://www.billboard.com/lists/oscar-2 ... -analysis/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Apparently, Disney is submitting just "Wild Uncharted Waters" from The Little Mermaid for awards consideration. Personally, I'm glad that's the chosen one as it's my favorite of the new songs, but I think it's a shame Halle Bailey won't be able to compete with "For the First Time."
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

D82 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:45 pm Apparently, Disney is submitting just "Wild Uncharted Waters" from The Little Mermaid for awards consideration. Personally, I'm glad that's the chosen one as it's my favorite of the new songs, but I think it's a shame Halle Bailey won't be able to compete with "For the First Time."
Yessssss! I love “Wild Uncharted Waters” and it’s the only new song to me that feels like it can fit in the original. Ariel’s voice being the backing track of this song and how Jonah Hauer-King sang “Time won’t change the shoreline/But time will not change me!” makes it my favorite addition to the movie. Seriously, how he sang it gives me chills everytime I listen to it. So glad it’s getting submitted at the Oscars to be nominated.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea by Joe Hisashi (Song)
2. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. Shin Megami Tensei V (Video Game)
5. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I agree it's a great song. I love it too. Now that you mention Ariel's voice as the backing track, I guess they could have Halle sing that part of the song at the Oscars if they wanted if "Wild Uncharted Waters" was nominated.

By the way, I've just noticed Howard Ashman is credited as lyricist along with Lin-Manuel Miranda on the website. Why is that? Could it be because of Ariel's vocals that are from "Part of Your World" which he wrote or is it just a typo?
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Wild Uncharted Waters”
Lyrics by Howard Ashman & Lin-Manuel Miranda
Music by Alan Menken
Source: https://debut.disney.com/fyc/twds/movie ... categories
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

D82 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:57 pm I agree it's a great song. I love it too. Now that you mention Ariel's voice as the backing track, I guess they could have Halle sing that part of the song at the Oscars if they wanted if "Wild Uncharted Waters" was nominated.

By the way, I've just noticed Howard Ashman is credited as lyricist along with Lin-Manuel Miranda on the website. Why is that? Could it be because of Ariel's vocals that are from "Part of Your World" which he wrote or is it just a typo?
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Wild Uncharted Waters”
Lyrics by Howard Ashman & Lin-Manuel Miranda
Music by Alan Menken
That would be cool if it did get nominated, sort of like a semi-duet when it’s performed on stage. I think it’s either when it comes to Howard Ashman being credited as a lyricist. Since he wrote “Part of Your World” and maybe know’s how Ariel’s “siren voice” would sound like (When Ariel gives her voice to Ursula), it would make sense but I can also see it as a typo D82
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea by Joe Hisashi (Song)
2. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. Shin Megami Tensei V (Video Game)
5. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:45 pmApparently, Disney is submitting just "Wild Uncharted Waters" from The Little Mermaid for awards consideration. Personally, I'm glad that's the chosen one as it's my favorite of the new songs, but I think it's a shame Halle Bailey won't be able to compete with "For the First Time."
While Wild Uncharted Waters is my favorite of the new songs, I think it's a mistake not submitting For the First Time too. Halle has a lot of support in the business and members of the Academy will be more inclined to vote for her song than the song by a guy who's not a professional singer and has no ties to the music industry. Also, there will be more pressure to vote for Halle's song just to spite the "haters" and as a reward for all the backlash she had to endure. Submitting only the "white guy's song" may sour the Academy and turn the public against it. It's very likely there will be backlash when people find out Halle's song wasn't submitted and accusations of Disney being racist will start being thrown around again.

When will Disney learn they should just submit all of their eligible songs and let the Academy choose which one they prefer? You would think they learned their lesson with Encanto, but apparently not. I would even argue that Disney should submit Scuttlebutt too. The song has gained a lot of attention and infamy and that might be in its favor. You never know how these things will turn out.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:03 pm
D82 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:45 pmApparently, Disney is submitting just "Wild Uncharted Waters" from The Little Mermaid for awards consideration. Personally, I'm glad that's the chosen one as it's my favorite of the new songs, but I think it's a shame Halle Bailey won't be able to compete with "For the First Time."
While Wild Uncharted Waters is my favorite of the new songs, I think it's a mistake not submitting For the First Time too. Halle has a lot of support in the business and members of the Academy will be more inclined to vote for her song than the song by a guy who's not a professional singer and has no ties to the music industry. Also, there will be more pressure to vote for Halle's song just to spite the "haters" and as a reward for all the backlash she had to endure. Submitting only the "white guy's song" may sour the Academy and turn the public against it. It's very likely there will be backlash when people find out Halle's song wasn't submitted and accusations of Disney being racist will start being thrown around again.

When will Disney learn they should just submit all of their eligible songs and let the Academy choose which one they prefer? You would think they learned their lesson with Encanto, but apparently not. I would even argue that Disney should submit Scuttlebutt too. The song has gained a lot of attention and infamy and that might be in its favor. You never know how these things will turn out.
Those are all valid points, but what I think gives "Wild Uncharted Waters" the edge over "For the First Time" is that the former song is a little more universal and not so ensconced in the specifics of the story the way that the latter song is. There are obviously continuums at work here, but I feel like the average person would "get" Eric's song without knowing its specific context a lot more easily than Ariel's, which has to make it an easier sell.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Apparently, Disney changed its mind regarding what song from The Little Mermaid to submit for the Oscars; now "For the First Time" is the song listed on its awards website:
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“For the First Time”
Music by Alan Menken
Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Performed by Halle Bailey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I still don't understand why not submit both and let them decide.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yeah, that's clearly what they should do. Especially, in a case like this where they're not sure what song to submit.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

They’re probably concerned about vote split if more than one song from the same movie gets nominated. Vote split might have been a factor in Enchanted and The Princess and the Frog losing their respective years’ Academy Awards for Best Song.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I know, I understand why they do it, but sometimes that strategy backfires, like when they selected "Dos Oruguitas" instead of "We Don't Talk About Bruno." Sometimes it's clear what song they should submit, but other times I think letting the Academy decide would be a better strategy.