Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Lightyear

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Blasting into theaters June 17, 2022, Lightyear is the definitive story of the original Buzz Lightyear. Voiced by @ChrisEvans, get ready to go to “infinity and beyond” with Lightyear.
https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1337195228797661184

Last edited by rodrigo_ca on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robster16
Special Edition

Re: Lightyear (Pixar Film)

Post by robster16 »

OMG, a Buzz Lightyear origin story, with Chris Evans voicing the new/original Buzz Lightyear!!!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I figured it must be about Buzz just from the title. I'm looking forward to it! Toy Story is one of their franchises that can continue forever in my opinion!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This is a little too cash grabby for my taste. It’s a little audacious to claim to tell the story of the “real Buzz Lightyear.” And if I was Tim Allen, I’d be pissed.

Surprised nothing about this leaked beforehand, though.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I guess they felt a "Toy Story 5" would have been too repetitive.
So here's a way to erase from memories the TV Series made by DTVA 20 years ago ^^

First teaser here :-) : https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337195326407651330
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote:And if I was Tim Allen, I’d be pissed.
I suppose this is supposed to be like a movie about Buzz, the character that the toy is merchandised off of? Perhaps that's why they picked a different voice actor--to differentiate this "fake" character and its franchise from that one? Idk.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Yes, but if I was Tim Allen I’d still be pissed. It’s his character.

The idea of this being a movie makes me think of the ending of Chicken Little with the characters watching the in-universe movie adaptation of their lives. I know it’s not the exact same thing but it strikes me as just as silly and parodic.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's the full synopsis:
Lightyear, slated to open in theaters on June 17, 2022, is a sci-fi action-adventure and the definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear (voice of Chris Evans)—the hero who inspired the toy. The film reveals how a young test pilot became the Space Ranger that we all know him to be today. Lightyear is directed by Angus MacLane and produced by Galyn Susman.
Source: https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/docum ... bccd9a.pdf
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:This is a little too cash grabby for my taste. It’s a little audacious to claim to tell the story of the “real Buzz Lightyear.”
I agree. It reeks of desperation and greed. I'm surprised they haven't announced a Frozone spin-off yet considering the fan demand and the increased focus on diversity.
Clindor wrote:So here's a way to erase from memories the TV Series made by DTVA 20 years ago.
I hate they're retconning the character's origins, especially since Pixar was involved with the pilot. Buzz's toyline was supposed to be based on a fictional TV show, just like Woody's was. Why not make a "real" Woody movie too then while we're at it?
UmbrellaFish wrote:The idea of this being a movie makes me think of the ending of Chicken Little with the characters watching the in-universe movie adaptation of their lives. I know it’s not the exact same thing but it strikes me as just as silly and parodic.
Or the TV show in Bolt.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

When I was watching the presentation and they mentioned a sci-fi Pixar film, I was on board for sure. But then I had the thoughts that you guys had, that there already was the Buzz TV show. And that Tim Allen is Buzz. But I'm also always on board for more Toy Story, so I'm being cautiously optimistic about this...
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: I hate they're retconning the character's origins, especially since Pixar was involved with the pilot. Buzz's toyline was supposed to be based on a fictional TV show, just like Woody's was. Why not make a "real" Woody movie too then while we're at it?
I had a thought earlier about a Woody film. They probably will if this does well.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:This is a little too cash grabby for my taste. It’s a little audacious to claim to tell the story of the “real Buzz Lightyear.”
I agree. It reeks of desperation and greed. I'm surprised they haven't announced a Frozone spin-off yet considering the fan demand and the increased focus on diversity.
Agreed with both of you. Not that I'm not looking forward to it, but really? :| After that garbage ending to the fourth one, they should put the series to rest. And though Evans will be great and I get that it's a human version of the REAL Lightyear, Tim Allen IS Buzz Lightyear. Again, a slap on the face to another Disney veteran. I get he's a Trumper and I HATE Trump, but it's still not right to replace someone over their views.

The Incredibles or a grown-Boo is what I REALLY want.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:And though Evans will be great and I get that it's a human version of the REAL Lightyear, Tim Allen IS Buzz Lightyear.
Yes, I don't like they're replacing Tim Allen either.
disneyprincess11 wrote:The Incredibles or a grown-Boo is what I REALLY want.
I'm surprised they haven't announced anything based on the Inredibles or Finding Nemo considering there are no plans (that we know of) to produce more feature-length sequels. I know a lot of Pixar fans hate the idea, but I would also like a Monsters, Inc. sequel with an older Boo.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, I don`t mind a Buzz Lightyear movie that shows his origins. Despite that it would`ve been better suited for a TV movie. But why the heck replacing Tim Allen with Chris Evans? I`ve nothing against Chris Evans, but I just don`t see why.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm excited for this, because I have long wanted to see Pixar make a Buzz Lightyear of Star Command movie for theatres. There is so much potential. I wonder if they will find some way to incorporate the characters from the tv series, even if only in brief cameos. Zurg will definitely be in the movie, although I assumed not voiced by Andrew Stanton like in "Toy Story 2." Here's hoping the three-eyed aliens are included. Would be weird to have a space-themed Toy Story spin-off movie without them.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

In my mind, including the other characters is impossible, because as I see it, this is a human Buzz Lightyear that does some heroic doing and gets famous, prompting someone to make a tv series based on him and then, toys of that tv series which resulted in the Buzz we already know. But we shall see.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This feels like a cash grab, but I guess 99% of all the production revealed the this investors day. I also always thought that starting with the remake of Beauty and the Beast, Disney has started a new era and it was pretty much confirmed yesterday. I never thought that a day would come where I'd feel put off by Disney, but I guess yesterday was that day. Disney just doesn't feel innovative and artistic to me anymore (Pixar included). It's really depressing to say it but that's how I feel.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

farerb wrote:This feels like a cash grab, but I guess 99% of all the production revealed the this investors day. I also always thought that starting with the remake of Beauty and the Beast, Disney has started a new era and it was pretty much confirmed yesterday. I never thought that a day would come where I'd feel put off by Disney, but I guess yesterday was that day. Disney just doesn't feel innovative and artistic to me anymore (Pixar included). It's really depressing to say it but that's how I feel.
Farerb, don't lose hope. :)

Remember that WDAS and Pixar ≠ Corporate Disney

Yes, both animation studios may need to bend their heads to the commercial demands of the parent company. They cannot operate like Cartoon Saloon or the other European studios, making movies for primarily for artistic reasons, and for commerce second. However, I believe that there is nevertheless no shortage of passion at both places.

It is very easy to write off mainstream American animated films as soulless, generic and unoriginal. And yes, often they can be. However, I would never blame this on the people that actually make them. The filmmakers tend to be faced with many limitations and I believe that even on the most commercial projects (think the Cars franchise) they truly give their all to create worthwhile, even great films.

I am not saying that we should celebrate mediocrity or that the American animation studios are absolved of subpar films "because they are faced with limitations so they can't help it."

It is more about appreciating the good things about the WDAS and Pixar films and understanding that when they do not satisfy you it is not a black or white assessment of "This film sucks! The character designs are generic! The concept is so lazy!"

God knows what goes on behind the scenes of these movies' production. I simply don't think it is realistic to expect Cartoon Saloon or Studio Ghibli poetic filmmaking from these studios. I am certain the people there are more than capable of delivering an "arty" film like those studios, but I know they cannot (unless there's a major shift in the parent company. :( ) So, I evaluate mainstream American animation accordingly, and I don't think it is fair to compare them with foreign animated films.

Also, try not to dislike a movie too much based on its premise, or even trailer.

I firmly feel that on this board we tend to grossly over-analyse based on a three-sentence premise and with nothing else at hand. (I'm thinking of Luca.) I truly think it is a waste of time and energy to write reams of text speculating based on a vague synopsis, and actively disliking the movie at that early stage. People jump to conclusions so quickly here! I wouldn't do that even an hour before the film's release and with a bajillion released teasers and trailers at my disposal, let alone with just a text description!!

So people, please calm down. :) Enjoy the announcements and don't write movies off 2+ years prior to release. Even when you know for a fact that they contain story elements that are not your cup of tea, you may be surprised because in the finished film those "disliked" story elements may be executed in a way you actually like and not as you predicted! :wink:

I've been wanting to get that off my chest for soooooo long! 8) I think I should repost this in some other threads to make sure everybody reads it! I'll spam this place up! :P
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Jules :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Jules wrote:Also, try not to dislike a movie too much based on its premise, or even trailer.

I firmly feel that on this board we tend to grossly over-analyse based on a three-sentence premise and with nothing else at hand. (I'm thinking of Luca.) I truly think it is a waste of time and energy to write reams of text speculating based on a vague synopsis, and actively disliking the movie at that early stage. People jump to conclusions so quickly here! I wouldn't do that even an hour before the film's release and with a bajillion released teasers and trailers at my disposal, let alone with just a text description!!

So people, please calm down. :) Enjoy the announcements and don't write movies off 2+ years prior to release. Even when you know for a fact that they contain story elements that are not your cup of tea, you may be surprised because in the finished film those "disliked" story elements may be executed in a way you actually like and not as you predicted! :wink:

I've been wanting to get that off my chest for soooooo long! 8) I think I should repost this in some other threads to make sure everybody reads it! I'll spam this place up! :P
Agreed so much with this. There is too much of a tendency on this board to prejudge a movie even before it comes out, due to not fulfilling certain specifications. I've actually been thinking a lot lately about how expecting filmmakers to make movies that cater to your specific tastes just isn't the way to approach movies. [Insert any movie director here] doesn't know me. If they include something in a movie that maybe doesn't jive to my tastes, well, it's because they (or someone else involved in the production) wanted it there. And I will either agree with that creative decision or not.

I think people get too fussy over some decisions or try to give notes on how the movie should be done. I find it ironic when people claim to support creative freedom for filmmakers and then give notes and suggestions that aren't that dissimilar to the sorts studio executives or producers might give. I've noticed on this board a particular dislike for when the right songwriter isn't chosen or if the movie possibly breaks from the things an animation studio is known for. And I feel wanting, say, Disney Animation to stick to a certain way of doing things limits creativity. If Disney Animation always stuck to preserving their "legacy" when approaching a new project, one of my favourite movies "Lilo & Stitch" wouldn't exist.

This can also apply to the ways character designs are treated here. The older I have gotten, the more I begin to appreciate more and more character designs and see the beauty and creativity and imagination in every kind of art style. A video clip actually went viral on Twitter a few days ago of someone ranting about the designs of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" of all things and I saw so many animation professionals dunking on it for how misinformed it sounded.

And yeah, just because a storyline doesn't seem like your cup of tea doesn't mean the execution will be disappointing and the project is already dead in the water. I often dislike the storyline of the workaholic father who doesn't have enough time to spend with his family because he's focused on work, because the ways those movies are usually written, the wife and children just come across as ungrateful and whiny and I just feel bad for the father who is trying his hardest to put food on the table. And yet there are movies like "Hook" and "Liar Liar" and "The Santa Clause" that utilise this kind of storyline and manage to executive it well or, at least, in a way that doesn't annoy me.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland