Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Lightyear

Post by D82 »

Avaitor wrote:Overall, I'd put it above the fourth Toy Story, but definitely below the first 3.
That's more than I expected, so it sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the film, I'll real the spoiler part once I see the movie.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

And for all the noise around Lightyear, Mitchell indicates that animation hasn’t traditionally “played well” in Saudi Arabia anyway, so the lost revenue isn’t something that’s likely to keep Disney top brass up at night. One high-ranking studio exec tells THR that the loss was expected to be around $2 million, describing it as “an inconvenience more than anything else.” An interesting detail reported about the Lightyear news was that Disney didn’t actually submit the film for release in Saudi Arabia, knowing that they would be asked to remove the same-gender kiss.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235167557/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

I have to admit, I didn't really check the previous posts. But in my interview with Angus MacLane (director) and Galyn Susman (producer), I asked them about how the different Buzz media projects (including the animated Buzz Lightyear of Star Command) line up with each other. Also a fun question in there, on who's the in-universe actor portraying Buzz (as it's a "live action" movie within the Toy Story universe)

https://youtu.be/KK1ULuX1vKA

Feel free to share feedback for me as well =)
Image Image Image Image Image
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I liked your interview! It's funny because they are going to be asked these meta questions a lot I'm sure! I especially liked the "who plays Buzz in-universe" question."

I just saw the film. I loved it. I'll have more questions when I watch it with a pause button and a pen, but I didn't fully understand all the science space stuff but it didn't make it any less enjoyable.

Sox stole the show. Love, love him. I read Avaitor's spoilers so I knew about Buzz/Zurg. I was nervous about it but it totally worked, in my opinion. RIP Sox #2 (or technically Sox #1). That made me sad. I loved the group of characters, I loved them all, including Buzz. Zurg and the robots had jump scares that scared me every time!

I know that I like everything that Pixar and WDAS put out, but I really loved this. It was a great adventure and it was really fun.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, blackcauldron85!

I didn't know if I would be able to see it this weekend, but finally was. It's definitely not among Pixar's best films, in my opinion, but I quite enjoyed it too. There were several interesting ideas and themes and I feel that maybe they could've made a stronger film with them, but it was still good.

Sox was adorable as everyone is saying and the rookies and Alisha were also likeable, but my favorite character was Buzz himself. I think he worked as a protagonist here and I found it refreshing he wasn't as perfect as most lead characters, but a bit stubborn and obsessed with his mission, which made him interesting and more like a real person.

Now that I've seen the film, I think Alisha being gay is indeed an organic case of representation and was done well. She doesn't have too much screen time, though, but is mentioned a lot throughout the movie.

Actually, it did feel like an '80s or '90s movie to me sometimes, though of course, it generally felt more modern. But it's supposed to be like the Star Wars of the Toy Story world, and in my opinion, it seems like a smaller movie that would've been just a moderate success. Also, ironically since this is a children's film, it feels quite serious and adult. I don't see it getting an animated series for children and then toys and other merch based on it. Anyway, that's not that big of an issue to me, but it's an aspect I think could've been improved on.

By the way, there are three end-credits scenes. The first two are just brief jokes, but the last one, though also very short, is a bit more important. It comes at the very end, after the Disney and Pixar logos.

And something I didn't realize until the film was about to start is that there's not a short attached to it this time. Luca and Turning Red didn't have shorts in front of them either, but they were streaming movies. They could've prepared something for Pixar's return to theaters.
blackcauldron85 wrote:I read Avaitor's spoilers so I knew about Buzz/Zurg. I was nervous about it but it totally worked, in my opinion.
It worked for me too, though I think the execution could've been a bit better. I found it hard to believe Buzz would've turned that evil. I think the Buzz from the future could've still been obsessed with his plan, but have been a little more human. Anyway, it's no different than how Marvel, for example, has portrayed their heroes who have turned into villains, so maybe it's a bit of an unfair criticism.

By the way, Buzz never reveals the real identity of Zurg to the others, right? I guess he probably feels a bit ashamed of that and prefers to keep it a secret.

Sotiris wrote:I think The Flash series on the CW did the exact same thing.
I haven't seen The Flash, but in a Star Trek movie they also do something similar. Well, at least it's a bit different from the typical surprise villain and new for Pixar.

I guess they probably came up with the idea in an attempt to recreate the "I'm your father" moment from Toy Story 2, while at the same time not wanting to do the exact same thing again. Now we know why they made Zurg so big and look like a robot.

Sotiris wrote:Another thing that doesn't make sense is that at the end the people of the colony decide to stay on the planet they got stranded on instead of going back to Earth. Who would choose a barren, alien planet over Earth? This is like the opposite message of Wall-E.
From what I understood, they don't really decide to stay. Buzz destroys the object that could've made it possible for them to return to Earth in order to get rid of Zurg. That's why they can't return. But the colony's new leader decides to reinstate the space rangers program, so I guess that means they'll keep trying to find a way to return home or find a better planet to live.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Here is my out of theatre reaction: https://youtube.com/shorts/zyVUypdv4xw?feature=share
blackcauldron85

I'm glad you liked it too, D82!!
D82 wrote:Also, ironically since this is a children's film, it feels quite serious and adult. I don't see it getting an animated series for children and then toys and other merch based on it.
I think it's very possible; it's not like it was very violent or anything else. The little kids in my theater seemed to have a good time based on their noises!; the little boy next to us barely sat- he was standing up at the edge of the railing through most of it, watching! And grown-up movies have absolutely gotten toys and cartoons in real life, being way more inappropriate than Lightyear

https://www.cbr.com/r-rated-movies-kids-toy-lines/

Den of Geek also has an article about R-rated movies getting cartoons, but I couldn't post the link here. And Lightyear, to me, feels like a Jurassic Park-type movie, in Andy's world I mean, where it's PG13 but it's very popular with kids.

Patricier21, I think it cut off your review?

Buzz Face Character Now Appearing in Tomorrowland at Disneyland
https://wdwnt.com/2022/06/photos-video- ... isneyland/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I saw the film today and I thought it started okay, the second act was meandering and I didn't care for the supporting characters.
I especially didn't like that twist.

However, I think that my main issue is that they didn't really utilize the animation medium, this could have easily been a live action film and that just raises the question of what's really the point? If anyone understands what I mean.

Overall, not bad but very underwhelming - 3/5.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I think it's very possible; it's not like it was very violent or anything else. The little kids in my theater seemed to have a good time based on their noises!; the little boy next to us barely sat- he was standing up at the edge of the railing through most of it, watching! And grown-up movies have absolutely gotten toys and cartoons in real life, being way more inappropriate than Lightyear
I didn't mean it was inappropriate for children, just got the impression that between the serious tone and adult themes a movie like this would be more appealing to grown-ups than to them. Star Wars, in comparison, is more colorful, a bit lighter in tone and has more fun creatures and things like that. Here only Sox seems designed with kids in mind. But it's true that the spacesuits and spaceships are cool and Buzz and Zurg are also characters children could want toys of. I guess I could see a movie like this getting merch for children, but not being as popular as to fill full aisles as we can see in Toy Story 2.

There weren't any kids at my showing, only teenagers and some adults, probably because it was quite early in the afternoon and most people go to the theatre later, so I haven't witnessed children's reactions to the movie. Maybe I'm wrong and they're loving it. Though, the fact that this is an animated film probably helps too. According to the filmmakers, it's meant to be a live-action film in the Toy Story world. I guess we'll find out if the like it depending on its success at the box office.
Farerb wrote:I saw the film today and I thought it started okay, the second act was meandering and I didn't care for the supporting characters.
I think the second act could've been improved too. The locations, for example, could've been more varied, as well as the types of adventures the characters experience. Speaking of that, I noticed that this joke from the second trailer wasn't in the final movie.

I also saw someone commenting on another site that the villain twist is similar to the one in The Lego Movie 2. I didn't remember it, but I've looked that moment up and it's true.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The movie is performing below expectations.
Disney’s Lightyear, despite an A- CinemaScore and 4 stars/85% positive on PostTrak, is coming in way under its $70M-$85M projection with a $51M-$55M 3-day weekend.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/06/lightyear- ... 235047729/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm not surprised. People are boycotting the film because of the lesbian kiss and because Tim Allen doesn't play Buzz.
In addition, Disney pretty much got people used to watch animated films on Disney+, and they probably didn't consider competition from both Jurassic World: Dominion and Top Gun: Maverick. In my opinion, they should have postponed the release to June 30, and then release Thor in August, which doesn't seem to have any blockbusters scheduled to premier.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Glad this woke crap is bombing with the unwashed deplorables.
But I’m sure Disney will keep on checking the boxes no matter what it costs them.

This will be the first of probably many Disney/Pixar animated features I won’t purchase for my collection. (I have every film from Snow White on.)

To be honest, I saw the Lightyear trailer in theaters when my boyfriend and I saw West Side Story, and I had zero interest in it then.... even before I read about the virtue signaling, wokeness and political correctness connected to the project.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm pretty sure Raya and Encanto both underperformed...because Disney's been training people to wait to see animated films when they hit streaming rather than seeing them at theaters. I don't believe they even released Turning Red or Luca to theaters. It's the same thing that happened to hand-drawn films with DTV releases.

I'm not worried this will slow down the advance of LGBT characters in film at all, thankfully. Strange World has a main character that's LGBT, I'm sure that'll really trigger that crowd. :D Nobody believes that those types were seeing Disney films anyway.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

I saw Lightyear yesterday at Annecy's Festival and I was quite disappointed though I was not particularly excited by it.
I learnt nothing about Buzz Lightyear's character. I don't understand how Andy in 1995 would have seen THIS movie which is a "nowadays" movie, not very much a sci-fi one from the 90s.
I even didn't catch the polemic added lesbian kiss while being very attentive. Btw, the Alisha's backstory is the only interesting and emotional aspect which surpasses in a few minuts only the overall 1H30 of Buzz' story.
And the post credits scenes were : oh no, pffff....
Of course the movie is visually awesome, especially the lighting and Sox is fun but that's barely all for me.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Speaking as someone who always felt the Toy Story films were one of the few things I liked about PIXAR before Luca and Turning Red started to change things for the better, I personally just never liked Buzz Lightyear that much as a character to want to see a film that revolves around him (or his brand creation, whatever). I never watched the Buzz Lightyear animated series as a child for the same reason--generally I have limited interest in space-related fare. And TS4 was much weaker than the other 3--not unwatchable or something that I think kills the franchise, but with a noticeably different feel to it that makes me hope a fifth film will be an improvement.

I would've been more interested in a Woody film, but, even then, the idea of a western film would be just as boring to me. It was really the Winnie-the-Pooh esque conceit along with all the various IPs (Barbie, Potato Heads, etc.) that give nostalgia that made TS interesting, and neither of those things were ever going to be a part of this.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

D82 wrote:I guess I could see a movie like this getting merch for children, but not being as popular as to fill full aisles as we can see in Toy Story 2.
Yes, that's a good point!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:In the film, we say he (Andy) got a Buzz for his birthday and this was his favorite movie. So I actually feel like this movie might be early '80s, late '70s. So it's more like his favorite movie that he saw on VHS probably.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/832759/how-li ... -timeline/

The director has changed his tune again. Now Lightyear is supposed to have been made in 1986. :roll:
“I imagine [this movie] was made in 1986 and Andy watched it on tape,” added MacLane.
Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... -explained
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

But they keep posting this image where Andy brings his toys to the theaters to watch "Lightyear" and buys extra seats just for them:

In addition, he got the Pizza Planet aliens after he got Buzz.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Farerb wrote:But they keep posting this image where Andy is a weirdo who has no friends, and brings his toys to the theaters to watch "Lightyear" and buys extra seats just for them:

In addition, he got the Pizza Planet aliens after he got Buzz.
You’re all over reacting this way too much. This is just a promotional image and it’s not meant to be taken as overall Canon. You’ve seen them do this kind of thing for other movies so why are you taking this as a canonical thing now?
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

carolinakid wrote:Glad this woke crap is bombing with the unwashed deplorables.
But I’m sure Disney will keep on checking the boxes no matter what it costs them.

This will be the first of probably many Disney/Pixar animated features I won’t purchase for my collection. (I have every film from Snow White on.)

To be honest, I saw the Lightyear trailer in theaters when my boyfriend and I saw West Side Story, and I had zero interest in it then.... even before I read about the virtue signaling, wokeness and political correctness connected to the project.
Don’t judge a movie based on political Woke Ness or anything like that for despite anything you read you may actually like/not mine how it’s portrayed, for just because this is An overdone thing even with/especially with Disney nowadays it doesn’t mean it’s a Cearley bad and order you may not necessarily not like it the age? :-) Just because you hear about something doesn’t mean you may not like it why I’ve heard lots of things about movies online and I end it up actually quite liking them in the end so the same could be said for you EH? :-)