Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Lightyear

Post by Farerb »

Mooky wrote:I'm in the camp that says the concept behind this movie doesn't work the way they're trying to promote it. Between the polished look of the movie, muted colors/cinematography, AND diversity in characters, there's no way a sci-fi movie like this would have been made in the early 1990s, let alone the '80s. It's probably not that big of a deal for most people, but things like that take me out of the movie.
I agree. I'm going to be un-pc for a moment, but a 90's blockbuster would have one maybe two black guys in it, there definitely wouldn't have been an LGBT couple (when even blockbusters nowadays have issues with including one), and there would have been a Liv Tyler waiting for Buzz to be his prize.

I also noticed from the sneak peeks they have released that the pacing and the humor is very modern (90's action films tended to be quicker).

The way it feels to me is that someone pitched a Star Wars type film and another person suggested to connect it to Buzz, or it came from above Pixar, because connecting it to a familiar character means that more people will be interested.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

All that. And it wouldn't deal with the passage of time and mortality (i.e. it wouldn't be interesting to a kid Andy's age), it'd be a straight-up action-adventure movie without any deeper themes.

Besides, I always thought that, in-universe, Buzz originated on Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. I suppose since that wasn't made by Pixar, they kind of want to sweep it under the rug.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They didn't even acknowledge Buzz Lightyear of Star Command in their special, and as far as I know it's not on Disney+.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I agree with both of you; that was my issue with the concept from the start. What bothers me the most though is the whole disingenuous marketing and promotion of the film. It's beyond evident they didn't even try to be culturally, historically, and aesthetically accurate to the blockbusters of the era. Pretending they did is insulting to audience's intelligence.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Mooky wrote: The only way it'd make sense is if this were a modern reboot of a movie Andy saw as a kid and Andy's taking his own kid to see it. ...
It would also open up the opportunity for a future Toy Story movie (you know it's coming), where old Buzz would be introduced to the modern Buzz toy, and explore/face his own obsolescence. Kind of like old, simple Transformers or Masters of the Universe figures compared to modern, more elaborate ones.
I like this explanation. I don't mind the modern stuff since it's a modern movie, but I do agree that it's "off" when trying to pass it as a mid-'90s movie but it could have been before its time, you know?

I have an existential question: There are toys of Toy Story Buzz. Toy Story's Buzz is based off/his backstory in the new movie Lightyear. Andy in Toy Story would have seen the Lightyear movie and wanted the Buzz toy. But there are TOYS of the LIGHTYEAR movie Buzz. Explain. :p
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Farerb wrote:An article listing the more negative reviews of Lightyear:

‘Lightyear' Getting Mixed Reactions
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/6 ... format=amp
The person who wrote that calls one of the reviewers he mentions a "quote whore." That's not very professional and the overall tone of the article suggests he's not looking at the film with an unbiased lens. The review embargo drops on Monday, so that will give a better idea of the overall consensus than someone picking and choosing reactions that suit his own narrative.
Mooky wrote:Besides, I always thought that, in-universe, Buzz originated on Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. I suppose since that wasn't made by Pixar, they kind of want to sweep it under the rug.
Angus MacLane has been mentioning the television series on Twitter and is acknowledging its existence there, saying he basically views it as the Toy Story equivalent of "The Real Ghostbusters" and other animated shows based on movies.

A lot of them would change things from the movie, depending on what the creators and producers wanted to do or what they were allowed to do. I recently read an article about the three animated series based on Jim Carrey's 1994 movies, where it was revealed that "Ace Ventura" was the only one allowed to use Carrey's exact likeness and the "Dumb and Dumber" series giving the leads a pet beaver was an executive note.

Even Disney is prone to this. The "101 Dalmatians" series existed in its own universe, picking and choosing elements from the animated and live-action film to use. The "Hercules" series had Hades know Hercules was still alive as a teenager, even though the movie has him only find out when he's already an adult.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

estefan wrote:Angus MacLane has been mentioning the television series on Twitter and is acknowledging its existence there, saying he basically views it as the Toy Story equivalent of "The Real Ghostbusters" and other animated shows based on movies.

A lot of them would change things from the movie, depending on what the creators and producers wanted to do or what they were allowed to do. I recently read an article about the three animated series based on Jim Carrey's 1994 movies, where it was revealed that "Ace Ventura" was the only one allowed to use Carrey's exact likeness and the "Dumb and Dumber" series giving the leads a pet beaver was an executive note.

Even Disney is prone to this. The "101 Dalmatians" series existed in its own universe, picking and choosing elements from the animated and live-action film to use. The "Hercules" series had Hades know Hercules was still alive as a teenager, even though the movie has him only find out when he's already an adult.
The documentary said something like "this movie is what Andy saw at the theaters". Because Andy is so excited about his toy, it can't have been more than a few months since he saw it. In the movie it is still summer outside Andy's house, and ends with Christmas, snow and winter. Maybe it was the big Christmas movie of 1994.

If Star Command is not in the movie, but was added later, the animated series would have been released shortly after, or the toys would have been partly used as a marketing idea to promote an upcoming animated show.

Not only is it meant to be made in the first half of the 90s, it is probably also ment to be a live action. Computer animated movies like that would have been impossible, and it doesn't look like it would have been hand-drawn. That would also have made it one of the most expensive movies ever made, shooting would have started at least a couple of years earlier, and the studio would have decided to play it safe to make sure the money invested were not lost.
Recently mentioned elsewhere; the main reason Disney's live action adaptation of John Carter in the early 90s was dropped was because it would be too difficult and expensive to make (it would cost more than Kevin Costner's Waterworld). Even King Kong from 2005, ten years later, was a huge challenge to make.
(What really matters for the studio is of course that the audience is having a good time at the theaters, and most will probably not pay any attention to these details. But it is fun to use the brain trust approach as someone not involved in its making.)
Mooky wrote:And it wouldn't deal with the passage of time and mortality (i.e. it wouldn't be interesting to a kid Andy's age), it'd be a straight-up action-adventure movie without any deeper themes.

I'm in the camp that says the concept behind this movie doesn't work the way they're trying to promote it. Between the polished look of the movie, muted colors/cinematography, and diversity in characters, there's no way a sci-fi movie like this would have been made in the early 1990s, let alone the '80s. It's probably not that big of a deal for most people, but things like that take me out of the movie.

The only way it'd make sense is if this were a modern reboot of a movie Andy saw as a kid and Andy's taking his own kid to see it. Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't go for that if they didn't invest time and effort into making it look and feel like a true "old school" sci-fi.
Repeating myself, it would have been a very expensive live action movie, and I don't think they would have dared to explore such themes directed towards children. Andy would probably not have been so obsessed about it if they had. If the original Star Wars had been about the importance of good family values and the things that matters most in life instead of just being a rollercoaster of fun and action, it would most likely not have become the phenomena it was.

Instead of making it a remake of the movie Andy saw, or even the "original", Pixar could simply have called the movie a Toy Story spin-off. The 90s movie Andy was could have been made for Disney+.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I see Lightyear as basically the Jurassic Park/Independence Day of its year. The big blockbuster everyone went to see. The special effects in those movies were really state-of-the-art and pulled off the spectacle required. The outer space scenes in Apollo 13, released in 1995, were also very impressive and made audiences believe that the actors were astronauts in space. Armageddon was then released a few years later. So I don't find it too unrealistic that an outer space/science-fiction movie with this level of special effects could have been released in the '90s.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Outer space is not that much of a challenge, but the whole base (unless made as matte paintings), alien flora and the interacting with the large robots would have been more difficult and expensive. Even in Jurassic Park they used a real size T-Rex in some of the scenes to make it look more realistic. And all of this takes place on earth (or right next to it).
In King Kong there were scenes where every single leaf in some scenes had to be CGI, even if the audience is not aware of it. And Avatar was not possible before some years later.
It remains to be seen how many alien worlds he will visit.

With the exception of Apollo 13, which is supposed to be a true story, the other examples are adventure stories and mostly pure entertainment, except from some warnings in Jurassic Park that we shouldn't play gods.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I had forgotten about it, but the director also mentioned that Lightyear could also be an early '80s, late '70s movie:
In the film, we say he (Andy) got a Buzz for his birthday and this was his favorite movie. So I actually feel like this movie might be early '80s, late '70s. So it's more like his favorite movie that he saw on VHS probably.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/832759/how-li ... -timeline/

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:The documentary said something like "this movie is what Andy saw at the theaters".
Yes, that's true. They're not giving a single explanation for this.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:What really matters for the studio is of course that the audience is having a good time at the theaters, and most will probably not pay any attention to these details.
Exactly, they know most people won't even notice these details, so they take some liberties and don't bother to make it all fit the concept. I do care about these things, but to me this is not worse than what they did with Bo Peep in Toy Story 4, for example.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:
In the film, we say he (Andy) got a Buzz for his birthday and this was his favorite movie. So I actually feel like this movie might be early '80s, late '70s. So it's more like his favorite movie that he saw on VHS probably.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/832759/how-li ... -timeline/
He can just say it's Star Wars.

And it doesn't make any sense if it's late 70's, early 80's movie because Andy would have already had a Buzz toy by 1995, and Buzz was presented as this new shiny toy that was just released. And what about Buzz 2.0? With the belt? Do they have explanation for that too? Honestly at this point I feel that Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis made this film.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:And it doesn't make any sense if it's late 70's, early 80's movie because Andy would have already had a Buzz toy by 1995, and Buzz was presented as this new shiny toy that was just released.
In the same article I posted before, Angus MacLane says the Buzz toy would've been based on an animated TV-show based on the movie, something like Buzz Lightyear of Star Command:
"I imagine this was a movie that then later there was the spinoff cartoon, and then the 'Toy Story' toy was made off of that cartoon design. Because that very much was the way it would be in the '80s and early '90s, that there would be a big-budget movie, like a serious movie, and then would get ported to a TV show."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:Honestly at this point I feel that Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis made this film.
:lol:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Farerb wrote: And it doesn't make any sense if it's late 70's, early 80's movie because Andy would have already had a Buzz toy by 1995, and Buzz was presented as this new shiny toy that was just released. And what about Buzz 2.0? With the belt? Do they have explanation for that too? Honestly at this point I feel that Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis made this film.
well the toy buzz is clearly not modeled off what we see in this movie, so it must be some other spin off.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Pixar’s ‘Lightyear’ Banned in Saudi Arabia Over Same-Sex Kiss
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235163872/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I hope Disney realizes this is bad press for these type of countries and not for Disney.

It will make bank in western countries anyway so who cares. The west needs to stop being addicted to money from intolerant countries.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I wonder why they don’t edit the kiss out , rather than banning the entire film outright in Saudi Arabia United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Malaysia (so far). The portrayal of homosexuality is an insult to Islam is the reason being given.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's because the woke crowd demands it. When Disney used to censor their films in those territories, they would get a lot of criticism on social media for it. Disney decided it's not worth the backlash and are willing to forgo the modest money they made there (as they are small theatrical markets) to appease them. This is Disney's choice, not the local distributors'. They have repeatedly asked Disney to allow minor cuts, often mere seconds, but Disney keeps denying them. It's just virtue signaling since no one benefits from this policy. It's actually harmful as it exacerbates anti-Western and anti-LGBT rhetoric in those countries whenever something like this happens.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Thank you, Sotiris. I didn’t know all that.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I like how people attach the word "woke" to anything they don't like these days; it's funny being a liberal myself, since I've never used that word to describe myself ever. It's one of those slang words only ever used to prop up regressive viewpoints. It's not "woke" for gay people to merely exist in film, and it's quite something to hear the argument that homophobic censorship is somehow supposed to prevent homophobia and anti-LGBT rhetoric. What kind of logic is that? By all means, if LGBT simply allowed themselves to be censored and silenced, then maybe some religious nutjobs wouldn't want to murder them then... Yeah, sure. Blame-shifting from the victimizer to the victim. People who hate LGBT will hate them regardless--giving into their demands will not help LGBT -in the slightest-.

Moreover, I'm not sure Disney even cares about theater business anymore with the way they've treated both Encanto and Raya even here in the U.S. Seems to me like Disney is trying to encourage the death of theater and the rise of streaming. Besides, Russia is already off the table for them and they learned with Mulan 2020 that catering to China only burned them with no benefit to come out of it (and good).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"