Tiana (Disney+ Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
User avatar
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:30 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by PatchofBlue »

Kyle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:32 am But part of the reason it hasn't being raking in cash is the lack of compelling original content. Their back catalog alone hasn't been enough on its own. They did say early on they would be operating at a loss for a while anyway, but they do expect to be profitable as early as this year is what I think I read. But they would have gotten then faster if they had more original stuff that people actually wanted to see. I think we will still see them continuing to try, because its hard to just go back to the days before they launched it. Cable tv is a dying medium and people do not buy physical anymore. This is the only future they got, they have to get it right.
That could be an interesting thing to discuss in the Disney+ thread, or even as its own topic: what original content do each of us personally want from the service?
Last edited by PatchofBlue on Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kyle
Platinum Edition
Posts: 3357
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by Kyle »

I won't derail too much, as you say its probably a topic for another thread, but quickly, and these are just off the top of my head.

More hand-drawn stuff, imagine if they did something like House of Mouse again. (it would be outsourced of course, but It'd be something)
Gravity falls movie? (there's apparently a novel coming out that continues the story, maybe they could adapt that to animation)
more behind-the-scenes stuff perhaps, like the stuff they used to put on dvd/blu ray. A lot of that stuff disappeared for new movies.
Maybe more extensive interview/podcast-style shows could be neat, talk to more artists, technicians, and directors.

More serialized dramatic shows, this would be new ip I can't even come up with here, but it would be something in line with those event-type shows that got big in the mid to late 2000s, like Heroes, Lost, etc. Something not tied to Marvel or star wars.

Something comedic, a single-camera comedy, maybe. I guess we kinda got some of that with the muppets, but that didn't really land for me.

Overall though, I just see a lot of gaps that they could be filling with that Disney money. I want to see more risk-taking. And of course, for the shareholders I expect more safe choices.

Oh, and this could just be the Toy Story bias in my coming through, instead of Toy Story 5, what if they tried a Toy Story series? Like, a real one. They'd have to use sound alikes which would take getting used to, but I could be down. I've seen some of the stories they come up with in kids books and they sometimes get me wondering what it could be like to see them animated.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Joyce Sherri recently did an interview with NYU just 6 days ago, and the first part of her interview has her talking about working on Disney+'s Tiana: https://www.nyu.edu/alumni/news-publica ... booth.html.

Another L for the lying, grifting site Inside The Magic claiming Tiana is seemingly cancelled.
User avatar
friendoftheotherside
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:15 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by friendoftheotherside »

Bad news, folks. From what I was told, Tiana won’t be hand-drawn animated. The animation will be similar to Wish, with CGI trying to emulate hand-drawn. At least, all the artwork seems to be gorgeous. And sadly, the series most likely won’t be released this year. The studio is eyeing a 2025 release.

On a happier note, the plot of the series will revolve around Tiana becoming queen of Maldonia 8)
User avatar
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 4:23 am
Gender: male
Location: Andalasia

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by The Disneynerd »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am Bad news, folks. From what I was told, Tiana won’t be hand-drawn animated. The animation will be similar to Wish, with CGI trying to emulate hand-drawn. At least, all the artwork seems to be gorgeous. And sadly, the series most likely won’t be released this year. The studio is eyeing a 2025 release.

On a happier note, the plot of the series will revolve around Tiana becoming queen of Maldonia 8)
Queen? Oh does this mean something might happen to Naveens parents and they need to prepare to take over? #Shrek3 :wink:
But im so excited to see finally see Maldonia!
And I hope Lottie joint them as shes my personal fav :)

In theory, I have no real problem with Cg, as long as they can Experiment more with it and nail that Renaissance painting style or something in the veins of Arcane or Rapunzel Unbraided. But the 3d total flat shading that tries to imitate 2d always looks ugly, like in most animated 2010s TV shows or disneys sparkshorts :oops: . But I have to admit Wishs Animation grows on me :huh:

Thanks again for sharing! :D
Do your friends on the other side know anything plot related to Toy Story 5 or Frozen 3? I need to know arghhhhhhh :biting: :drool: :pooh:
My favourite Disney songs:
𝟏. 𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓦𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭 (𝓵𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓵𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓶𝓪𝓲𝓭)
𝟐. 𝓦𝓪𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓼 (𝓣𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓵𝓮𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼)
𝟑. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)🎶 :cry:
𝟒. 𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓾𝓭 𝓸𝓯 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓑𝓸𝔂 (𝓐𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓭𝓲𝓷)
𝟓. 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒞𝓁𝒾𝓂𝒷 :cry: (𝓗𝒶𝓃𝓃𝒶𝒽 𝓜𝑜𝓃𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒶 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝒾𝑒)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), 𝒴𝑜𝓊´𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓁𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 (𝒟𝒾𝓈𝓃𝑒𝓎 𝒫𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒𝓈𝓈: 𝐸𝓃𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓃𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝒯𝒶𝓁𝑒𝓈), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am Bad news, folks. From what I was told, Tiana won’t be hand-drawn animated. The animation will be similar to Wish, with CGI trying to emulate hand-drawn. At least, all the artwork seems to be gorgeous. And sadly, the series most likely won’t be released this year. The studio is eyeing a 2025 release.

On a happier note, the plot of the series will revolve around Tiana becoming queen of Maldonia 8)
I’ll believe that when I see it. I don’t believe this.

I can’t believe it yet, because there are folks who are out there who have heard, or at least read from somewhere, that the whole reason that people in Walt Disney Animation Studios in Vancouver helped out on the 2D/hand-drawn animation elements on Once Upon A Studio was to serve as training for animation on the Tiana series: https://x.com/kingoftoons/status/171406 ... 28094?s=46.

And with all due respect, friendoftheotherside, people like myself already heard, from Grace Randolph, that Tiana might be delayed to 2025, but she said that the delay was because they need more time on getting the series’ hand-drawn animated style right, a detail Skyler Shuler in a deleted post of his on Patreon said.

So, I can’t believe it until I actually see it for myself. And I’ve heard more to believe that it will be hand-drawn than not, not just from Grace Randolph or Skyler Shuler, but also iC back in June 2023, too.
User avatar
friendoftheotherside
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:15 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by friendoftheotherside »

The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 pm Queen? Oh does this mean something might happen to Naveens parents and they need to prepare to take over? #Shrek3 :wink:
But im so excited to see finally see Maldonia!
Sorry, I’ve watched Shrek 3 a long time ago, so I don’t know how to connect the dots here lol I truly don’t know what happens to Naveen’s parents. But Tiana and Naveen will be summoned to Maldonia so they can be crowned, and this set the whole series in motion.
The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 pm In theory, I have no real problem with Cg, as long as they can Experiment more with it and nail that Renaissance painting style or something in the veins of Arcane or Rapunzel Unbraided. But the 3d total flat shading that tries to imitate 2d always looks ugly, like in most animated 2010s TV shows or disneys sparkshorts :oops: . But I have to admit Wishs Animation grows on me :huh:
I really liked Wish’s animation. I only wish (pun intended lol) that they didn’t played too safe, and pushed the stylization of the characters a little more. I hope that Tiana’s look won’t disappoint' since the movie was so beautiful.
The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 pm Thanks again for sharing! :D
Do your friends on the other side know anything plot related to Toy Story 5 or Frozen 3? I need to know arghhhhhhh :biting: :drool: :pooh:
Sadly, I don’t know anything about Toy Story 5 or Frozen 3 yet :huh:
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm I’ll believe that when I see it. I don’t believe this.

I can’t believe it yet, because there are folks who are out there who have heard, or at least read from somewhere, that the whole reason that people in Walt Disney Animation Studios in Vancouver helped out on the 2D/hand-drawn animation elements on Once Upon A Studio was to serve as training for animation on the Tiana series: https://x.com/kingoftoons/status/171406 ... 28094?s=46.

And with all due respect, friendoftheotherside, people like myself already heard, from Grace Randolph, that Tiana might be delayed to 2025, but she said that the delay was because they need more time on getting the series’ hand-drawn animated style right, a detail Skyler Shuler in a deleted post of his on Patreon said.

So, I can’t believe it until I actually see it for myself. And I’ve heard more to believe that it will be hand-drawn than not, not just from Grace Randolph or Skyler Shuler, but also iC back in June 2023, too.
Okay? Suit yourself :-D
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm
The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 pm Queen? Oh does this mean something might happen to Naveens parents and they need to prepare to take over? #Shrek3 :wink:
But im so excited to see finally see Maldonia!
Sorry, I’ve watched Shrek 3 a long time ago, so I don’t know how to connect the dots here lol I truly don’t know what happens to Naveen’s parents. But Tiana and Naveen will be summoned to Maldonia so they can be crowned, and this set the whole series in motion.
The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 pm In theory, I have no real problem with Cg, as long as they can Experiment more with it and nail that Renaissance painting style or something in the veins of Arcane or Rapunzel Unbraided. But the 3d total flat shading that tries to imitate 2d always looks ugly, like in most animated 2010s TV shows or disneys sparkshorts :oops: . But I have to admit Wishs Animation grows on me :huh:
I really liked Wish’s animation. I only wish (pun intended lol) that they didn’t played too safe, and pushed the stylization of the characters a little more. I hope that Tiana’s look won’t disappoint' since the movie was so beautiful.
The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 pm Thanks again for sharing! :D
Do your friends on the other side know anything plot related to Toy Story 5 or Frozen 3? I need to know arghhhhhhh :biting: :drool: :pooh:
Sadly, I don’t know anything about Toy Story 5 or Frozen 3 yet :huh:
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm I’ll believe that when I see it. I don’t believe this.

I can’t believe it yet, because there are folks who are out there who have heard, or at least read from somewhere, that the whole reason that people in Walt Disney Animation Studios in Vancouver helped out on the 2D/hand-drawn animation elements on Once Upon A Studio was to serve as training for animation on the Tiana series: https://x.com/kingoftoons/status/171406 ... 28094?s=46.

And with all due respect, friendoftheotherside, people like myself already heard, from Grace Randolph, that Tiana might be delayed to 2025, but she said that the delay was because they need more time on getting the series’ hand-drawn animated style right, a detail Skyler Shuler in a deleted post of his on Patreon said.

So, I can’t believe it until I actually see it for myself. And I’ve heard more to believe that it will be hand-drawn than not, not just from Grace Randolph or Skyler Shuler, but also iC back in June 2023, too.
Okay? Suit yourself :-D
I will suit myself, because the same person, who told me in June 2023 he heard Tiana would be hand-drawn animated because he had friends working on it, just told me this (which I would politely ask of you to keep to yourselves and not share with anyone else)…

“So the last I heard it was still going to be in 2D, but computers were being considered to cut down on costs. It wouldn’t exactly look like Wish, but it may looked like Tangled The Series and the Almost There sequence from the movie.

Nothing is final final, but don’t be completely surprised if at D23 it looks a bit different than how it originally looked.”

Assuming this is true, which I actually feel is the actual truth, I will keep fighting, begging, and advocating damn hard for Disney to keep Tiana hand-drawn animated against all odds. And I don’t stop fighting until I’ve won.

If I’m the only one, so be it.

But I’m willing to bet I’m not.

If the info I got is true, the time to fight for Tiana to be hand-drawn animated is now and we have to act to keep it hand-drawn now. As the person who told me said, while it may change at D23, nothing is final. We can still fight for Tiana to stay hand-drawn animated until we win. We must believe that. I must believe that too.

Now who’s with me?

Who’s with me?

I said WHO’S… FRIGGIN… WITH ME?!?!?!?!?

Sotiris, JTurner, Faerb, Kyle, TheDisneynerd, PatchOfBlue, DisneyJedi, Thumper_93, Disney’s Divinity,Jules, Avaitor, MaQu, PatrickvD, D82, singerguy04, rodrigo_ca, disneyprincess11, nomad2010, unprincess, blackcauldron85, DisneyFan09, will you stand with me? Will you join me in saving Tiana from being losing its hand-drawn animated style? Will you fight with me? Will you follow me, one last time?
User avatar
Kyle
Platinum Edition
Posts: 3357
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by Kyle »

Being done in a vector "almost there" / Rapunzel style is about the most I was expecting anyway. While they probably want some aspects of the movie in the style, the more practical/realistic part me knew expecting real hand drawn was a pipe dream.

They're gonna do what they're gonna do, we have basically no real say, they answer to shareholders, and they want things done as efficiently and cheaply as possible. They are not going to change without huge changes in leadership.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:42 am Being done in a vector "almost there" / Rapunzel style is about the most I was expecting anyway. While they probably want some aspects of the movie in the style, the more practical/realistic part me knew expecting real hand drawn was a pipe dream.

They're gonna do what they're gonna do, we have basically no real say, they answer to shareholders, and they want things done as efficiently and cheaply as possible. They are not going to change without huge changes in leadership.
No.

Don’t you see?

The fact that it’s still 2D/hand-drawn, even for now, means we have a chance to keep it that way. They’re onto considering the idea of using computers on the series for now, at least as of 1 month ago, so plans could have changed and they decided not to use them and stick with only hand-drawn animation, via the CAPS system. We just have to seize this one and only opportunity to take back what’s ours & make our voices loud enough to be heard so we’ll win in the end.

To start, we should all write letters to Disney/Bob Iger, respectful and sincere, and address our concerns about Tiana that we all hope he takes seriously in the letter so he’ll know what we’re talking about.

Alone, I can only write this 1 letter to him, a letter he may not even see, but if we want him to hear us, we ALL must write to him or e-mail him using my letter as the basis, not copy completely, but serve as a basis, for what must be said to Mr. Bob Iger.

I still believe it’s not too late to stop the bad things from happening but we have got to work together to make what people think is impossible possible. And I need your help to make the impossible truly become possible.

I know you guys think I’m wasting my time and a C&D being sent to me means hearing this might be unlikely, but I can’t let friends of mine (even those on X) and those close to me be let down because if I fail them, then I’ll just end up feeling like my life was just a meaningless waste of time. And I don’t wanna end up in that sad mindset.

Please help me. All I ask from all of you is for you just hear me out, read what I have to say and to consider that letters/e-mails to make our voices heard to keep #Tiana from being messed with, and if this is what it takes to get my message to be heard, then I’m willing to be put through the wringer to have a long-fought victory in the end.

Here’s my letter I’m referring to, by the way, if you wanna know how we should write them.

Image
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition
Posts: 3764
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:42 am Being done in a vector "almost there" / Rapunzel style is about the most I was expecting anyway. While they probably want some aspects of the movie in the style, the more practical/realistic part me knew expecting real hand drawn was a pipe dream.

They're gonna do what they're gonna do, we have basically no real say, they answer to shareholders, and they want things done as efficiently and cheaply as possible. They are not going to change without huge changes in leadership.
Well, this is no surprising by any means. But it`s still disappointing. It was too much to hope that it was going to be hand drawn. But let`s hope that the final look will be appealing and that Tiana won`t look completely different than her original design, as opposed to how previous Disney leads have looked in their new series (cough, Ariel in Ariel, cough).
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:20 pm
Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:42 am Being done in a vector "almost there" / Rapunzel style is about the most I was expecting anyway. While they probably want some aspects of the movie in the style, the more practical/realistic part me knew expecting real hand drawn was a pipe dream.

They're gonna do what they're gonna do, we have basically no real say, they answer to shareholders, and they want things done as efficiently and cheaply as possible. They are not going to change without huge changes in leadership.
Well, this is no surprising by any means. But it`s still disappointing. It was too much to hope that it was going to be hand drawn. But let`s hope that the final look will be appealing and that Tiana won`t look completely different than her original design, as opposed to how previous Disney leads have looked in their new series (cough, Ariel in Ariel, cough).
We don't know that it will for sure be that way yet, though. It's only BEING CONSIDERED. We can still write letters to Disney to ask of them not to do that before it's too late. Don't wait too long. If you do, there will be no second chance to stop it.
User avatar
Kyle
Platinum Edition
Posts: 3357
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by Kyle »

It's not like they don't know. Go to any video where they showcase hand drawn animation, on official disney videos or otherwise, the comment section across the board everywhere beg them to bring it back. Disney does not care.
User avatar
friendoftheotherside
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:15 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by friendoftheotherside »

I’m disappointed with Tiana not being hand-drawn, but it’s not like a big surprise, is it? Especially after that Mark Henn interview podcast someone shared here, in which he says that he left earlier than he wanted because WDAS isn’t doing meaningful hand-drawn projects. He was Tiana’s supervising animator in the movie. If the series were to be hand-drawn, wouldn’t he be animating Tiana? Or having a more meaningful role on the series? He even said that most of the hand-drawn trainees were fired…
Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm It's not like they don't know. Go to any video where they showcase hand drawn animation, on official disney videos or otherwise, the comment section across the board everywhere beg them to bring it back. Disney does not care.
I don’t think Disney does not care. And by Disney, I mean WDAS. The people at the studio seems to care and to want to work in hand-drawn projects. The problem seems to be the higher ups like Bob Iger, especially with all the budget cuts and layoffs that he imposed. It’s more possible that he cancels Tiana altogether to save money than to let the studio hire more people to train them in hand-drawn animation for a Disney+ series.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm It's not like they don't know. Go to any video where they showcase hand drawn animation, on official disney videos or otherwise, the comment section across the board everywhere beg them to bring it back. Disney does not care.
If they didn’t care, they wouldn’t drop Once Upon A Studio on the official WDAS YouTube page and see how many people in the short’s video’s comments sectio have posted that they want it back.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:37 pm I’m disappointed with Tiana not being hand-drawn, but it’s not like a big surprise, is it? Especially after that Mark Henn interview podcast someone shared here, in which he says that he left earlier than he wanted because WDAS isn’t doing meaningful hand-drawn projects. He was Tiana’s supervising animator in the movie. If the series were to be hand-drawn, wouldn’t he be animating Tiana? Or having a more meaningful role on the series? He even said that most of the hand-drawn trainees were fired…
Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm It's not like they don't know. Go to any video where they showcase hand drawn animation, on official disney videos or otherwise, the comment section across the board everywhere beg them to bring it back. Disney does not care.
I don’t think Disney does not care. And by Disney, I mean WDAS. The people at the studio seems to care and to want to work in hand-drawn projects. The problem seems to be the higher ups like Bob Iger, especially with all the budget cuts and layoffs that he imposed. It’s more possible that he cancels Tiana altogether to save money than to let the studio hire more people to train them in hand-drawn animation for a Disney+ series.
Ok, first of all. That claim of all the hand-drawn trainees being fired is not what I had remembered seeing him say from the interview on his podcast. Also your claim of Tiana not being hand-drawn just isn’t true because that’s the opposite of what I heard in that it is hand-drawn animated, because if it weren’t, I wouldn’t have heard from not just the insiders I spoke to, but also from Mr. JTurner that Mark Henn was training animators at WDAS in Vancouver to do the hand-drawn animation on Tiana BEFORE he chose to retire. What he means to say, which is what I actually saw him say, is that ideas for new hand-drawn projects didn’t get approved by either regime, which is weird since Eric Goldberg back at D23 said the Chapek regime was open to the return of hand-drawn animation, so maybe he meant only for projects for Disney+ that are made by a smaller crew than that of a movie, IDK. When he says WDAS isn’t doing any meaningful hand-drawn projects, he probably means no hand-drawn movies for the big screen because they don’t have the pipeline for a movie of that size yet. And while he was fine with helping out the animators on Tiana, he maybe felt it was meaningless because it wasn’t a movie and just a series that may or may not even be hugely viewed on Disney+.

And to your belief that Iger will cancel Tiana, that is not gonna happen since Iger does not want to risk backlash from the African-American community and little girls, especially after the former have given him a hit in Black Panther. And also, that won’t happen because of the ride Iger is letting Disney open in their US parks with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, a sign that they know The Princesss and the Frog has more fans than even you claim. Just you wait, pal, Bob Iger may not be perfect but I believe he will not be stupid enough to cancel Tiana for those reasons and he will let it stay hand-drawn animated, maybe as a test of an experiment for seeing how a project like that does for Disney+. You may not admit that, but I have a good feeling THAT is the truth, no matter what you say/claim you know, yet actually & frankly pretty likely don’t even know, IMO.

Stop makin’ up BS, friendsontheotherside. You may think you have information that is true. But after speaking with people who actually know what they’re talking about and are specific with their information, you do not.

We’ll see what Annecy and D23 tell us this summer.

But from what intel I’ve gathered, even more recently, your intel seems inaccurate.
User avatar
friendoftheotherside
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:15 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by friendoftheotherside »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm Ok, first of all. That claim of all the hand-drawn trainees being fired is not what I had remembered seeing him say from the interview on his podcast. Also your claim of Tiana not being hand-drawn just isn’t true because that’s the opposite of what I heard in that it is hand-drawn animated, because if it weren’t, I wouldn’t have heard from not just the insiders I spoke to, but also from Mr. JTurner that Mark Henn was training animators at WDAS in Vancouver to do the hand-drawn animation on Tiana BEFORE he chose to retire. What he means to say, which is what I actually saw him say, is that ideas for new hand-drawn projects didn’t get approved by either regime, which is weird since Eric Goldberg back at D23 said the Chapek regime was open to the return of hand-drawn animation, so maybe he meant only for projects for Disney+ that are made by a smaller crew than that of a movie, IDK. When he says WDAS isn’t doing any meaningful hand-drawn projects, he probably means no hand-drawn movies for the big screen because they don’t have the pipeline for a movie of that size yet. And while he was fine with helping out the animators on Tiana, he maybe felt it was meaningless because it wasn’t a movie and just a series that may or may not even be hugely viewed on Disney+.

And to your belief that Iger will cancel Tiana, that is not gonna happen since Iger does not want to risk backlash from the African-American community and little girls, especially after the former have given him a hit in Black Panther. And also, that won’t happen because of the ride Iger is letting Disney open in their US parks with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, a sign that they know The Princesss and the Frog has more fans than even you claim. Just you wait, pal, Bob Iger may not be perfect but I believe he will not be stupid enough to cancel Tiana for those reasons and he will let it stay hand-drawn animated, maybe as a test of an experiment for seeing how a project like that does for Disney+. You may not admit that, but I have a good feeling THAT is the truth, no matter what you say/claim you know, yet actually & frankly pretty likely don’t even know, IMO.

Stop makin’ up BS, friendsontheotherside. You may think you have information that is true. But after speaking with people who actually know what they’re talking about and are specific with their information, you do not.

We’ll see what Annecy and D23 tell us this summer.

But from what intel I’ve gathered, even more recently, your intel seems inaccurate.
First, don't put words in my mouth. I’ve never said that all trainees were fired, I said most. And it’s not a claim. It’s a fact. Five trainees were hired, and three of them were let go. Mark Henn clearly states that at 16:42 on his interview: https://youtu.be/GstV-tz0xsE?t=16m42s
“Right now there's only two left. The other, we had five, one was let go, two had already completed their contracts and were let go, and we have two left. I don't know what their futures will be.”
Also I didn’t say that “Iger will cancel Tiana”. I was talking about a possibility, given the current state of the company. And I specially didn’t claim anything about The Princess and the Frog’s fans. What are you talking about???

Second, I don’t care if you believe in me or not. I’m not Tinker Bell LMAO. And I don’t care what “truth” do you believe or not. I’m not here to convince anyone. The reason I’m here in this forum is to trade information with other fans. So I shared some of the information I had, which I received from someone that saw footage from the series. If that upsets you so much, go seek therapy or simply move on. But you don’t get to point your finger at me, attack me and say that I’m making stuff up or that I don’t know what I’m talking about. What would I gain lying on an Internet forum? Literally nothing. I’m not a scooper and I’m not making money to make things up.

Even if you believe that what I said isn’t true, it doesn’t justify your out-of-line response to me. You don’t know me and I wasn’t even talking to you. Also, it doesn’t justify you screenshoting my other post, sharing on social media and tagging Bob Iger, D23 and Disney+!!!! Maybe you should go watch Bambi to learn that “if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.”

You keep pulling random names of a hat to make your point, like is supposed to give credibility to what are you saying. Yet you refuse to listen to what Mark Henn said. He knows more about what happens at the studio more than anyone here. He isn’t a random person making claims. He worked there for over four decades. If he says there isn’t meaningful work being done, it’s because there isn’t. The studio hasn’t done anything meaningful with hand-drawn animation for over a decade. Only small works, like Mini Maui in Moana and little shorts. If there’s anyone you should listen about this subject, it’s him.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am
Gender: Male

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm Ok, first of all. That claim of all the hand-drawn trainees being fired is not what I had remembered seeing him say from the interview on his podcast. Also your claim of Tiana not being hand-drawn just isn’t true because that’s the opposite of what I heard in that it is hand-drawn animated, because if it weren’t, I wouldn’t have heard from not just the insiders I spoke to, but also from Mr. JTurner that Mark Henn was training animators at WDAS in Vancouver to do the hand-drawn animation on Tiana BEFORE he chose to retire. What he means to say, which is what I actually saw him say, is that ideas for new hand-drawn projects didn’t get approved by either regime, which is weird since Eric Goldberg back at D23 said the Chapek regime was open to the return of hand-drawn animation, so maybe he meant only for projects for Disney+ that are made by a smaller crew than that of a movie, IDK. When he says WDAS isn’t doing any meaningful hand-drawn projects, he probably means no hand-drawn movies for the big screen because they don’t have the pipeline for a movie of that size yet. And while he was fine with helping out the animators on Tiana, he maybe felt it was meaningless because it wasn’t a movie and just a series that may or may not even be hugely viewed on Disney+.

And to your belief that Iger will cancel Tiana, that is not gonna happen since Iger does not want to risk backlash from the African-American community and little girls, especially after the former have given him a hit in Black Panther. And also, that won’t happen because of the ride Iger is letting Disney open in their US parks with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, a sign that they know The Princesss and the Frog has more fans than even you claim. Just you wait, pal, Bob Iger may not be perfect but I believe he will not be stupid enough to cancel Tiana for those reasons and he will let it stay hand-drawn animated, maybe as a test of an experiment for seeing how a project like that does for Disney+. You may not admit that, but I have a good feeling THAT is the truth, no matter what you say/claim you know, yet actually & frankly pretty likely don’t even know, IMO.

Stop makin’ up BS, friendsontheotherside. You may think you have information that is true. But after speaking with people who actually know what they’re talking about and are specific with their information, you do not.

We’ll see what Annecy and D23 tell us this summer.

But from what intel I’ve gathered, even more recently, your intel seems inaccurate.
First, don't put words in my mouth. I’ve never said that all trainees were fired, I said most. And it’s not a claim. It’s a fact. Five trainees were hired, and three of them were let go. Mark Henn clearly states that at 16:42 on his interview: https://youtu.be/GstV-tz0xsE?t=16m42s
“Right now there's only two left. The other, we had five, one was let go, two had already completed their contracts and were let go, and we have two left. I don't know what their futures will be.”
Also I didn’t say that “Iger will cancel Tiana”. I was talking about a possibility, given the current state of the company. And I specially didn’t claim anything about The Princess and the Frog’s fans. What are you talking about???

Second, I don’t care if you believe in me or not. I’m not Tinker Bell LMAO. And I don’t care what “truth” do you believe or not. I’m not here to convince anyone. The reason I’m here in this forum is to trade information with other fans. So I shared some of the information I had, which I received from someone that saw footage from the series. If that upsets you so much, go seek therapy or simply move on. But you don’t get to point your finger at me, attack me and say that I’m making stuff up or that I don’t know what I’m talking about. What would I gain lying on an Internet forum? Literally nothing. I’m not a scooper and I’m not making money to make things up.

Even if you believe that what I said isn’t true, it doesn’t justify your out-of-line response to me. You don’t know me and I wasn’t even talking to you. Also, it doesn’t justify you screenshoting my other post, sharing on social media and tagging Bob Iger, D23 and Disney+!!!! Maybe you should go watch Bambi to learn that “if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.”

You keep pulling random names of a hat to make your point, like is supposed to give credibility to what are you saying. Yet you refuse to listen to what Mark Henn said. He knows more about what happens at the studio more than anyone here. He isn’t a random person making claims. He worked there for over four decades. If he says there isn’t meaningful work being done, it’s because there isn’t. The studio hasn’t done anything meaningful with hand-drawn animation for over a decade. Only small works, like Mini Maui in Moana and little shorts. If there’s anyone you should listen about this subject, it’s him.
Well, I’ll see for myself later this summer. So maybe two trainees remain, but those may be Burbank-based knowing the rest of the 2D hand-drawn animators are in Vancouver now. So there’s the possibility that Tiana is indeed hand-drawn in the end, and that even if Henn felt it was meaningless, it was because it was work for a Disney+ series that is not guaranteed to find an audience, unlike a film which can. I’m not giving up without a fight.
User avatar
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition
Posts: 3654
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by DisneyJedi »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am Bad news, folks. From what I was told, Tiana won’t be hand-drawn animated. The animation will be similar to Wish, with CGI trying to emulate hand-drawn. At least, all the artwork seems to be gorgeous. And sadly, the series most likely won’t be released this year. The studio is eyeing a 2025 release.
Friendsontheotherside, where did you even get this info?

Because I feel unless it’s from a legitimately reliable source, I don’t think your word has much weight behind it. I can’t even find myself believing D23Expo’s words and their “sources”. :eyebrow:
User avatar
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Pearl of the Orient Seas

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by MoonMarc21 »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 pm Even if you believe that what I said isn’t true, it doesn’t justify your out-of-line response to me. You don’t know me and I wasn’t even talking to you. Also, it doesn’t justify you screenshoting my other post, sharing on social media and tagging Bob Iger, D23 and Disney+!!!! Maybe you should go watch Bambi to learn that “if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.”
:o Okay, I think you might have crossed a line D23ExpoVisitor25. What the heck, man?! Why did you do that?! I'm sure you've made friendsoftheotherside very uncomfortable and embarassed since you made a post of theirs public to a lot of people online!

Listen, I like what you're doing, it's very admirable. I like that you're trying to spread awareness to Disney that there are many fans around the world, including me, that want 2d hand-drawn animation back, especially on a show that is a sequel to a popular 2d Disney film. I want Disney as well to be consistent by sticking to the 2d animation of the Princess and the Frog because I do think it will be very jarring to see the sequel show be 3d animated, even with styalization. That's one of my biggest pet peeves, when one show or franchise can't have the same, consistent artstyle or just style in general. However, as you and me know right now, Disney is a company first and foremost. If they want to go with 3d for Tiana, then so be it. I won't care even if it makes me a bit irritated that they couldn't stick with what made its predecessor look good. I SO want Disney to go back to 2d but we should just stay patient and wait and see instead. You should do that instead of literally sending a photo of someone's post you don't know on an internet forum on social media just because that person disagrees with you, that's already going into petty and immature territory!

friendsoftheotherside, I just wanna tell you that even if we're complete strangers online, you a wonderful person so far on here and you didn't deserve to get "outed" like that. Although I take the information you say with a grain of salt, I hope this experience doesn't deter you from joining and posting on this forum again because there are people here that love reading what you post, which includes me hehe...What he did was just wrong on so many levels, I just hope you're okay after this and so far, you stood your ground well. Go off King/Queen (or whatever you are idk maybe a Shadow :lol: )!
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
2. Good Night Mare by LOZAREENA (Song)
3. Disventure Camp (Web Series)
4. SHEESH by BABYMONSTER (Song)
5. The Way of the Househusband (Anime)
Post Reply