Tiana (Disney+ Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by DisneyFan09 »

While Tiana looks a little off-model, it`s still a nice-looking shot.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

What a horrible artwork. Tiana doesn't even look like her self. Her face is off-model and her body proportions look weird and stiff. I know this is merely concept art but it feels like a CG model that was painted over. The concept art for Splash Mountain looked better than this. Storybooks look better than this. The fact they had someone who can't even draw the character on-model work on this project doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I see they didn't reveal the medium of the series. I have zero hope that this will be traditional 2D. It will probably be rig-based "2D".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Maybe she’s in her fourties now and it’s set during WW2. Make it a wartime drama.

Since it will be cheaply animated they might as well.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, that picture is...rough (mostly her face is what's disappointing), but I never expected better than TV show level for this. It looks better than that hideous Big Hero 6 show, for example. On level with some of TLM show's final season. I'm grateful it's 2D at all.

EDIT: You know what, I really wish the show could have been stylized the way the Tangled: Series was, since that helped that show look appealing despite the low budget. They could have made the whole series look like "Almost There."
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yeah, that picture is...rough (mostly her face is what's disappointing), but I never expected better than TV show level for this. It looks better than that hideous Big Hero 6 show, for example. On level with some of TLM show's final season.
This shouldn't be TV show level though since its produced by the feature studio and not by Disney Television Animation. Baymax!, Zootopia+, and Olaf Presents all have animation and visuals on par with their movie counterparts. Tiana should be the same as well. If they are unwillimg to establish a 2D pipeline at WDAS or their Canadian division, then they should just outsource the animation to a studio that has that infrastructure and can deliver quality 2D animation.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm grateful it's 2D at all.
We don't know if it's 2D yet. The image revealed is just a digital painting, not a still, and doesn't necessarily reflect the medium or the final look of the show.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

PatrickvD wrote:Maybe she’s in her fourties now and it’s set during WW2. Make it a wartime drama.
It has to be this, right? She's just looking older?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The description says:
Tiana sets off for a grand new adventure as the newly crowned Princess of Maldonia
So I think it takes place shortly after the film. I really think she looks older because it's an off model concept art. In addition, her clothes and hair in that art are more 20's than 40's.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Stella Meghie wrote:Thank you to Walt Disney Animation Studios for entrusting me to continue Tiana’s story. Extend the legacy of Princess and the Frog. Writing and directing at @disneyanimation was a dream before I even knew it was possible. TIANA coming in 2023 to @disneyplus. #DisneyPlusDay
https://twitter.com/stellamink/status/1 ... 9809675270

Stella Meghie is known for her live action films: Jean of the Joneses (2016), Everything, Everything (2017), The Weekend (2018), and The Photograph (2020).
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oh yuck! its so obvious to me that's a CGI model with a 2d filter over it. I hope it looks better in motion than it does in that still image. That technique almost always looks stilted and awkward, though sometimes it can work well if there's enough effort put into it like Paperman, wasn't this also used for Lion Guard? I actually really liked the animation for that one, the characters always felt expressive and fluid to me(for a tv show).

I was wondering how they were gonna deal(or not deal) with the New Orleans setting and theJim Crow laws of the time period since I dont think they can just ignore it this time. I guess having her traveling on diplomatic duty/missions is one way to do it(I assume she's gonna be traveling b/c of "adventure" and that she's on a ship). That and Europe was much less racist back then than the USA was. Probably Naveen, Lottie and Louis will travel along with her...
It would be cool if she goes to France and runs into Josephine Baker(though I guess they wont have her wearing her banana costume.) Maybe she could also run into Anastasia*.
Id also want her to go to England and meet the Windsor princess and princes.

*yes I know the real Anastasia was dead(tragically executed)by the 1920s but the Fox animation one was in Paris with Dimitri at some point in the move during the 20s... and Disney owns the film now. And no Im not being serious :P
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Oh, I hope that's not the design they will use in the series. Because it looks like nothing like Tiana.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

unprincess wrote:oh yuck! its so obvious to me that's a CGI model with a 2d filter over it. I hope it looks better in motion than it does in that still image. That technique almost always looks stilted and awkward, though sometimes it can work well if there's enough effort put into it like Paperman, wasn't this also used for Lion Guard? I actually really liked the animation for that one, the characters always felt expressive and fluid to me(for a tv show).
Was about to point out that to my eyes that look like a cel-shaded CG model. I think it may not be concept art in the traditional sense, but more of a mock render. Sort of analogous to a promotional cel setup for hand-drawn films.

Ftr, I never expected the series to be hand-drawn. If we cannot have an 80 minute hand-drawn feature film, how can we expect the hours upon hours of hand-drawn animation required for a series? I suspect they will go the cel shading route to have visuals that are at least a bit more consistent with the original film, and avoid the fully rendered RBtI look. I suppose they made no mention of the medium because somebody at WDAS knows that quite a few Disney animation fans will blow their tops with a force stronger than Mount St. Helen if it becomes known conclusively that this production will be CG. Not that I agree with them playing with people's minds and releasing ambiguous "concept art" ...

:mischief: :milkbuds:

By the way, while I agree Tiana doesn't look herself, I don't think that image is awful by any means. I haven't really scrutinised it, but you guys make it sound like WDAS published an image of smeared boogers. :P

EDIT: Aaah! Just realised the image is zoomable. Now I can see actual brushstrokes, which kind of nixes my cel-shading theory for this particular piece. Yet it still ... seems like a CG model. It's so odd. It feels like they rendered Tiana in that pose, and then somebody took the finished render into Photoshop and traced/painted over it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jules wrote:It feels like they rendered Tiana in that pose, and then somebody took the finished render into Photoshop and traced/painted over it.
I think that's exactly what they did. I echo unprincess' "yuck" sentiments. The characters will look off-model and the animation will be stiff, awkward and unnatural as it is in most rig-based/cel-shaded shows. WDAS may not have the capabilities to produce 2D animation anymore, but Disney could have easily outsourced it to a 2D studio like they did with Mary Poppins Returns. They obviously don't care. Quality and consistency be damned. I dread to think how older characters like Ariel or Cinderella will look in their inevitable series.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:
Jules wrote:It feels like they rendered Tiana in that pose, and then somebody took the finished render into Photoshop and traced/painted over it.
I think that's exactly what they did. I echo unprincess' "yuck" sentiments. The characters will look off-model and the animation will be stiff, awkward and unnatural as it is in most rig-based/cel-shaded shows. WDAS may not have the capabilities to produce 2D animation anymore, but Disney could have easily outsourced it to a 2D studio like they did with Mary Poppins Returns. They obviously don't care. Quality and consistency be damned. I dread to think how older characters like Ariel or Cinderella will look in their inevitable series.
Of course, I am not pleased if this will be cel-shaded CG. (In that case I prefer fully rendered CG) However, I would prefer to comment on the animation when I see it moving. Who knows? Perhaps it'll turn out to be some of the best cel-shaded animation out there. Or, perhaps WDAS have a few tricks up their sleeve and might adopt an approach similar to Paperman (though simpler ... or it'll end up costing more than Avatar, lol)

Is this image old or new? It's the first time I came across it.

Slightly off-topic: Is Cartoon Brew purposely pretending that WDAS (and to a lesser extent, Pixar) don't exist? There seems to have been a dearth of reporting lately. Amid didn't even post the latest Encanto trailer.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ That image is fan-made from December 2020.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I`ve always liked that fan-made picture of Tiana. Despite how she looks a little off-model, I like her look and the dimension of that picture.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Interview with the director:

Disney Taps Stella Meghie To Write And Direct New Animated Series 'Tiana'
https://www.essence.com/entertainment/d ... na-series/

Farerb wrote:Stella Meghie is known for her live action films: Jean of the Joneses (2016), Everything, Everything (2017), The Weekend (2018), and The Photograph (2020).
I haven't seen any of her works, but apparently she has received acclaim for some of them. It's similar to Carlos López Estrada's case. He was also a rising director who came from live-action. I like they chose a Black director and a woman for this show. Her perspective and personal experiences will probably be beneficial for it.
Sotiris wrote:This shouldn't be TV show level though since its produced by the feature studio and not by Disney Television Animation. Baymax!, Zootopia+, and Olaf Presents all have animation and visuals on par with their movie counterparts. Tiana should be the same as well. If they are unwillimg to establish a 2D pipeline at WDAS or their Canadian division, then they should just outsource the animation to a studio that has that infrastructure and can deliver quality 2D animation.
I agree; since it's produced by WDAS, it should have the same quality and style of animation as the movie, just like the other new shows from the studio. The concept art actually gives me a bit of hope it will, since it doesn't look too different from the look of the film (except Tiana's face). However, if they were going to use traditional animation, wouldn't they have announced it on Disney+ Day?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: There is the “Tiana” show coming up. Is Louis going to be a part of this show?

Eric Goldberg: I am not sure to give you an honest answer. It’s still very in-development right now in terms of the content. We don’t know what the content is going to be, but I suspect yes, there will be hand-drawn in it. Absolutely. And we will see how that transpires, and there’s other content coming down the pike as well that will involve hand-drawn in both the Disney+ stuff and the shorts we’re doing and the features we’re doing.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/disney-sketchbo ... interview/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Oh, no. That's actually bad news regarding Tiana. That "there'll be hand-drawn in it" means that the main technique used for the show is not traditional animation. :(

The rest sounds promising, but it seems 2D animation will only be used for small things for now.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I never expected it woud be entirely hand drawn anyway, just that it would likely try to look as hand drawn as possible, but that might even be good enough for what it is.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

What a vague answer from Goldberg. This is going to be in development forever.