Tiana (Disney+ Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by Kyle »

If they really are doing a new hand drawn series, do you guys really want them to waste that on a tiana series? Like, I agree it would be better to have this be hand drawn than not, but like, why Tiana? I'm not yet convinced this is a series worth making.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Kyle wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:24 pm If they really are doing a new hand drawn series, do you guys really want them to waste that on a tiana series? Like, I agree it would be better to have this be hand drawn than not, but like, why Tiana? I'm not yet convinced this is a series worth making.
Why Tiana? Uh, maybe it's because that's how her character started at Disney and because making her computer-animated would be a radical change that people would reject in anger.

And yes, I do want them to "waste" it on Tiana because it makes sense to make a story where she won't be a frog anymore.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, on paper I'd say TP&TF would be a hard one to come up with a story post-film like with most fairy tales, but then again, I felt the same way about Tangled and ended up being very wrong. They could do a lot with the light and dark voodoo powers to create new antagonists and/or plots in the story the way Tangled focused on the sundrop that was the source of Rapunzel's powers and creatively involved a moondrop counterpart.

You know, they could do something similar with B&tB if they ever made a TV series for that film, exploring the Enchantress that began the story as a beginning source for plot.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Kyle wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:24 pm If they really are doing a new hand drawn series, do you guys really want them to waste that on a tiana series? Like, I agree it would be better to have this be hand drawn than not, but like, why Tiana? I'm not yet convinced this is a series worth making.
Why not? She's a great character.

I'd like to see something new, too, but you're making it sound like Tiana and her universe aren't worth exploring like most of WDAS' contemporary films, and I don't think that's fair at all.
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

Tiana was always the one character I wanted to see more of, so I am happy they chosen her. Another character that I think would benefit from a tv series is Mulan.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't know if he worked at Burbank or Vancouver, but seems that Disney started laying off employees, and WDAS wasn't spared:

https://twitter.com/pablonopicasso/stat ... gs0tQ&s=19

Disney Tells Managers To Submit Lists of Layoff Candidates Looks To Cut 4000 Jobs
https://m.economictimes.com/tech/techno ... 802217.cms

Honestly I have no idea how an entirely new studio is supposed to be set up if that's the case. Could explain the reason why both shows, which are supposed to be long forms, are postponed or why there are rumors about a live action Princess and the Frog remake (making that instead of the show).
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I'd be interesting if history repeated itself and the WDAS Vancouver studio closed down as fast as Pixar Canada did.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:44 pm
I don't know if he worked at Burbank or Vancouver, but seems that Disney started laying off employees, and WDAS wasn't spared:

https://twitter.com/pablonopicasso/stat ... gs0tQ&s=19

Disney Tells Managers To Submit Lists of Layoff Candidates Looks To Cut 4000 Jobs
https://m.economictimes.com/tech/techno ... 802217.cms

Honestly I have no idea how an entirely new studio is supposed to be set up if that's the case. Could explain the reason why both shows, which are supposed to be long forms, are postponed or why there are rumors about a live action Princess and the Frog remake (making that instead of the show).
Apparently, Skyler Shuler says we're still getting the Tiana series.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Skyler Shuler says we’re still getting Tiana but things have shuffled behind the scenes due to trying to make sure Disney’s upcoming stories are of high quality: https://twitter.com/skylershuler/status ... 54593?s=46.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

So do you think Tiana will look like Wish?
Honestly with how long it has been since their last hand drawn film and the change of talents, we should not expect a new hand drawn film/series, at least not one with the same quality as what they used to do.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:25 am So do you think Tiana will look like Wish?
Honestly with how long it has been since their last hand drawn film and the change of talents, we should not expect a new hand drawn film/series, at least not one with the same quality as what they used to do.
No. No I do not. The concept art for Tiana we got back in 2021 looks nothing like the first pic we got from Wish a year later.

And with Rennaisance-era Disney animators working on an all-new animated short that will be shown at Annecy before being shown with Wish this November, I believe, as long as Eric Goldberg still is somewhat involved with Tiana as he implied to me at D23, we WILL see Tiana as a hand-drawn animated series.

Count on it.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Apparently, when I asked Grace Randolph on today's BTT livestream what she heard regarding the supposed delay of the Disney+ Tiana series, she said she hasn't heard anything about a delay.

Interesting...
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:43 am No. No I do not. The concept art for Tiana we got back in 2021 looks nothing like the first pic we got from Wish a year
concept art rarely looks much like the final release anyway.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Kyle wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:01 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:43 am No. No I do not. The concept art for Tiana we got back in 2021 looks nothing like the first pic we got from Wish a year
Not in the case of Wish. The concept art for that is more or less what the movie looks like.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:53 pm
Kyle wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:01 pm

Not in the case of Wish. The concept art for that is more or less what the movie looks like.
That's because that wasn't concept art, but more of a promotional still fron the film. It's basically analogous to a promotional cel-setup in the hand-drawn era.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Jules wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:49 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:53 pm

That's because that wasn't concept art, but more of a promotional still fron the film. It's basically analogous to a promotional cel-setup in the hand-drawn era.
Even still, I refuse to give up hope that Tiana will be hand-drawn animated, otherwise they would have just dropped it on Disney+ this year rather than delay it twice to 2024 than an unspecified date (either 2025 or 2026).

Remember, hand-drawn animation is not something you rush and takes precious time.

And with more people being trained at Disney in the ways of hand-drawn animation by Eric Goldberg, who I feel is more involved on Tiana than we think, and with legacy Disney hand-drawn animators returning that are still alive, we will make sure that Tiana retains the hand-drawn animation style of The Princess and the Frog.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

D23ExpoVisitor25, I am optimistic we will see some form of hand-drawn animation from WDAS eventually, but Tiana seems to me too large a project to pull off with skeleton staff (yes, even if Goldberg is training new animators.)

Moreover, I think it would be wiser to reserve the triumphant return of hand-drawn to a theatrical project rather than a TV series.

Then again, perhaps they really intend to go the hand-drawn route with Tiana and may be thinking of using it as a training opportunity for newer animators before tackling a feature. (Lesser animation quality would be more forgivable on a TV project than on a theatrical film.)

Who knows? :milkbuds:

However, in case it turns out to be cel-shaded CG please don't suffer a nervous breakdown. We'll still talk to you, honest. :P
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Jules wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:55 pm D23ExpoVisitor25, I am optimistic we will see some form of hand-drawn animation from WDAS eventually, but Tiana seems to me too large a project to pull off with skeleton staff (yes, even if Goldberg is training new animators.)

Moreover, I think it would be wiser to reserve the triumphant return of hand-drawn to a theatrical project rather than a TV series.

Then again, perhaps they really intend to go the hand-drawn route with Tiana and may be thinking of using it as a training opportunity for newer animators before tackling a feature. (Lesser animation quality would be more forgivable on a TV project than on a theatrical film.)

Who knows? :milkbuds:

However, in case it turns out to be cel-shaded CG please don't suffer a nervous breakdown. We'll still talk to you, honest. :P
Ok.

Even still, if they were going cel-shaded, we would have known that by seeing that Tiana would hit Disney+ this year. But so far, with the further delay, it feels to me like they are making sure the series is fully hand-drawn animated.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Apparently, someone recently asked at a Disney Imagineering Q&A if they were opening Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at both US Disney Parks in 2024 to tie into the Tiana Disney+ series, and the answer was very interesting: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... magineers/.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

It appears the Tiana series has had its own official Twitter account since Disney+ Day 2021: https://twitter.com/disneystiana?s=21.