Tiana (Disney+ Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

D82 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:16 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm To me, this delay of Tiana to a 2024 release on Disney+ is a good sign that they are giving the series more time to look real-2D-hand-drawn-animated and not fake-2D-cel-shaded animated like Chip looked in the movie. And I also think its delay is to help to it coincide with the year of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure in the Disney Parks and for the 15th Anniversary of The Princess and the Frog.
My first thought when I saw it had been postponed was also that it could be a good sign, but we'll have to wait and see. Making its release coincide with the year of the opening of the Disney parks attraction and the film's anniversary makes a lot of sense. You're probably right about that.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm I’ve seen a lot of negativity in these message boards when it comes to modern day Disney and I’d appreciate some hopeful and cautious optimism, especially since I’m in a bit of a rough time with my family right now due to a lot of issues I don’t wanna talk about or it’ll make me more sad.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you and your family. Regarding the negativity, all we're doing is just speculate. The truth is that none of us knows yet if it's going to be hand-drawn animated or not. Like you, we all want it to be, but we don't want to get our hopes up and then be disappointed. But it's great if you believe it will. Maybe you'll turn out to be right and not us. I know it's difficult when everybody else is negative about something you like or believe. It has happened to me too. But I think the best advice for situations like this is what was just said in The Little Mermaid thread. It's better not to care too much what other people think or say, what's important is what you believe or like. By the way, I wanted to clarify that I'm not totally pessimistic about this. I'm just less confident it'll be hand-drawn now, but I don't think it's impossible.
Understood. Thank you.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Well, everyone, it is officially 2023. In about... 23 months around Christmas 2024, we will learn the truth about if Tiana will be fully hand-drawn animated or not when it hits Disney+.

I still think Sotiris and Farerb are wrong and are being too jaded, cynical, and disillusioned and that Eric Goldberg's coyness are a sign of keeping us in suspense about the animation style of Tiana and that the series WILL be hand-drawn animated, especially since, despite Disney only hiring RECENTLY people in Vancouver to work on this series, the animators in Canada have probably done hand-drawn stuff before like Lumiere in the Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers movie. Otherwise, Goldberg wouldn't say at D23 how Disney has been more open and forthcoming with making more hand-drawn animated stories over there. Just saying.

But, only time will tell, even though the young, optimistic person in me will continue believing it will be against all odds, no matter what.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Heads up, everyone. I just restarted my blog a few weeks ago and I have a new blog post coming today about the upcoming "Tiana" series about its value and importance that I hope Disney sees in it. I hope it's alright that I share this blog post on this forum if you're interested in reading it.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Ok, everyone. Here it is. My newest post for my blog is now up. This week’s post is on the overlooked value & importance of upcoming Disney+ series #Tiana, the sequel series to #ThePrincessAndTheFrog from Walt Disney Animation Studios, streaming in late 2024: https://alsaysall.wordpress.com/2023/02 ... -of-tiana/.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Hmm, it seems Stella Meghie is now only an executive producer for the upcoming Disney+ Tiana series as she has moved to directing episodes of Marvel Studios' Wonder Man for Disney+: https://deadline.com/2023/02/stella-meg ... 235267228/.

So is this the end for Tiana? Can it still hit Disney+ in late 2024 as planned with only 22 months to go? Who can possibly fill in for her to get the series out in time for The Princess and the Frog's 15th Anniversary in 2024?

Wait.

Look.

In the Disney sketchroom...

Could it be?

COULD IT BE?

It can be. Maybe they get Eric Goldberg to come back in steer the ship of Tiana to remain on track for a Disney+ release in late 2024 as planned and ensure the series remains hand-drawn animated...

In all seriousness, though, I wonder if Tiana being hand-drawn animated along with Meghie moving to Wonder Man is why the series is delayed to late 2024?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Apparently, Skyler Shuler is saying Tiana is still on track to hit Disney+ in late 2024: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 03424?s=20.

Guess they have their new director lined up. I just hope it's someone who understands that Tiana must be hand-drawn animated to usher in that return of classic animation for Disney and Walt Disney Animation Studios for the first time since the 2011 Winnie The Pooh movie.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I have no doubt that Tiana will eventually come out, they need it to promote the new ride. They probably brought someone in that would be able to incorporate the ride's story into the show.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:08 pm I have no doubt that Tiana will eventually come out, they need it to promote the new ride. They probably brought someone in that would be able to incorporate the ride's story into the show.
Hmm. Maybe.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Well, looks like TIana will take even longer than expected to hit Disney+ than we thought: https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/statu ... 29440?s=20.

I hope the reason for its delay is to get that series to be fully hand-drawn animated as best as they can and because there will be elements set up in that series in Tiana's Bayou Adventure at Disneyland and Disney World.

Though I suspect Tiana's former director Stella Meghie played a part in its delay when she left it for Marvel's Wonder Man Disney+ series.

Well, maybe they can still get Eric Goldberg to direct it and oversee it being hand-drawn.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This is Gigantic all over again. Now Disney won't announce TV shows in advance.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:02 pm This is Gigantic all over again. Now Disney won't announce TV shows in advance.
I hope not. Unlike Gigantic, they know Tiana will perform better, so, hopefully they’re just trying to get the animation better perfected.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Moana's release date was also changed to "coming soon", so I think the delay for both shows has to do with the slower-than-anticipated setting up of the Vancouver studio.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:51 am Moana's release date was also changed to "coming soon", so I think the delay for both shows has to do with the slower-than-anticipated setting up of the Vancouver studio.
Don’t ya think it might also have to do with making sure the hand-drawn animation is done correctly, too? Can’t rush something that is important to get right.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Production on The Princess and the Frog started on July 2006 and the film was released on December 2009. Meaning that the entire development of the film including animation took 2 years and 5 months. They announced the show back in December, and it has been 2 years and 3 months since then. So if they had everything in place in terms of story and direction, etc... then why would the animation be the reason why this series is postponed? We know that the animation process itself doesn't take that long (unless Eric Goldberg does the whole thing himself which I doubt).

I'm also not sure that the Vancouver studio is the issue cause I think Tiana was supposed to be produced at Burbank, and Moana was supposed to be the first series produced at Vancouver. Anyway if that's the case then I think it's unprofessional to announce a project they still don't have the means to produce.

Honestly, I know you won't like to hear it and I really don't want to upset you, but the fact that the director left implies to me that they have story problems, maybe she wanted to do a story that doesn't fit Disney's brand or the new ride and decided to leave and now they're stuck.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I suppose it could take longer considering they didn't have the animators ready-to-go back when it was announced, they're still growing that talent up again. And they may want to wait until Tiana can look great, let's be honest that there might be controversy if it looks bad compared to the original film when the Moana and Zootopia "series" will be WDAS-level quality like the original films (although they're fairly different from each other, as far as Tiana being more like a traditional 20-minute episode TV series, right?). Speaking of, I could see Encanto working as a TV series as well. It's sort of a shame that only two of the Revival films received traditional TV series the way so many of the '90s films did (Tangled, BH6). And the Tangled: Series honestly came after too much time had passed, a lot of people didn't recognize the title and their was brand confusion--something that might've been avoided if the show had happened a year or two after the movie, for example.

What's weird is the change to Splash Mountain took eons, too. They announced "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" would be the new vision of the ride what feels like 4 years or so ago??? I remember being happy that Tiana got picked over, say, Pocahontas to give the character more legacy since it feels like TP&TF has been overlooked as compared to the other Revival Era films for having been hand-drawn. And yet we've been waiting and waiting for the ride to fully change already. Maybe they're being extra careful with the property because of the current climate, they don't want to take the risk of doing one thing wrong and then being accused of XYZ.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:08 am Production on The Princess and the Frog started on July 2006 and the film was released on December 2009. Meaning that the entire development of the film including animation took 2 years and 5 months. They announced the show back in December, and it has been 2 years and 3 months since then. So if they had everything in place in terms of story and direction, etc... then why would the animation be the reason why this series is postponed? We know that the animation process itself doesn't take that long (unless Eric Goldberg does the whole thing himself which I doubt).

I'm also not sure that the Vancouver studio is the issue cause I think Tiana was supposed to be produced at Burbank, and Moana was supposed to be the first series produced at Vancouver. Anyway if that's the case then I think it's unprofessional to announce a project they still don't have the means to produce.

Honestly, I know you won't like to hear it and I really don't want to upset you, but the fact that the director left implies to me that they have story problems, maybe she wanted to do a story that doesn't fit Disney's brand or the new ride and decided to leave and now they're stuck.
I refuse to believe she left because her ideas didn’t fit Disney’s brand as she’s still involved with the series in an exec producer role. So I feel like her fingerprints will still all be over this, it’s just she felt there could be more to do at Disney through the Marvel Studios Wonder Man Disney+ series.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

I hope it’s because they weren’t getting the hand-drawn animation right and that they’re bringing in people who worked with Eric Goldberg to fix the hand-drawn look.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:37 am I hope it’s because they weren’t getting the hand-drawn animation right and that they’re bringing in people who worked with Eric Goldberg to fix the hand-drawn look.
Same. And I think that's very possible.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:49 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:37 am I hope it’s because they weren’t getting the hand-drawn animation right and that they’re bringing in people who worked with Eric Goldberg to fix the hand-drawn look.
Same. And I think that's very possible.
Let's hope we're both right then. The last thing i want is for this series to be cancelled. And I hope it remains on track to remain a forthcoming Disney+ series as planned.