Favorite Pocahontas song?

Polls and games that do not call for discussion.

The Virginia Company
2%
Steady As a Beating Drum
7%
Just Around the Riverbend
17%
Listen With Your Heart
11%
Mine, Mine, Mine
4%
Colors of the Wind
20%
If I Never Knew You (in-film version)
15%
Savages
7%
If I Never Knew You (End Credits)
7%
Colors of the Wind (Vanessa Williams)
2%
Where Do I Go From Here
7%
What a Day in London
No votes
Wait 'Til He Sees you
No votes
Things Are Not What They Appear
No votes
Between Two Worlds
2%

Total votes: 46

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I threw in the DTV sequel's songs because, why not. I've always thought Judy Kuhn sounded gorgeous on "Where Do I Go From Here."
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Re: Favorite Pocahontas song?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Since the Poll says choose up to 5:
Colors of the Wind; Just Around the Riverbend; Mine, Mine, Mine; Steady As the Beating Drum; If I Never Knew You. I love the whole soundtrack, and the sequel has good songs, too (I agree that WDIGFH is great).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's my ranking, excluding reprises. It turned out to be more difficult than I thought.

01. If I Never Knew You
02. If I Never Knew You (End Credits)
03. Just Around the Riverbend
04. Colors of the Wind
05. Colors of the Wind (End Credits)
06. Where Do I Go From Here
07. Between Two Worlds
08. Middle of the River
09. Listen With Your Heart
10. Savages
11. What a Day in London
12. Wait 'Til He Sees you
13. Things Are Not What They Appear
14. Mine, Mine, Mine
15. Steady As a Beating Drum
16. Dancing to the Wedding Drum
17. The Virginia Company
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Yes, it's very difficult. I'd been listening to "Colors of the Wind" ever since you posted those articles for the film's 25th anniversary, then slowly working through the rest of the soundtrack the past few days. I thought this would be a neat poll considering.

1. Just Around the Riverbend ~ This has always been my favorite song / scene from this film. That ending is so, so pretty.
2. Listen With Your Heart
3. Where Do I Go From Here
4. If I Never Knew You (End Title) ~ Always loved this. I would do a poll of all the end titles for Disney films, but I think there would be way too many for one poll.
5. Savages ~ The best part is the ending when Judy Kuhn joins in, for me.
6. Colors of the Wind
7. Mine, Mine, Mine ~ What a fun, little song and melody. As a villain, Ratcliffe's always been disappointing, but not because of Stiers. He wrings as much fun out of this as could be had. It's so ridiculous in comparison to the rest of the soundtrack, which is so serious and dramatic. :lol:
8. The Virginia Company
9. What a Day in London
10. Steady as the Beating Drum
11. Things Are Not What They Appear
12. Between Two Worlds
13. If I Never Knew You (in-film)
14. Colors of the Wind (End Title) ~ I still sometimes wonder what Whitney's version might've been like. I don't hate Williams' version, but I never listen to it. There are other covers I have of CotW that I listen to though--Tori Kelly, Pam Tillis, Thia Megia.
15. Wait 'Til He Sees You

I actually... Don't hate the sequel. I get it's a drop in quality. But the DTV sequel is one of the few that I still watch occasionally (Jean Stapleton and Billy Zane are fun). Of course the music also suffers a big dip in quality, too, but I guess it's softened by the fact that Kuhn's voice is so beautiful. She simply elevates everything she sings, I think.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I actually... Don't hate the sequel. I get it's a drop in quality. But the DTV sequel is one of the few that I still watch occasionally (Jean Stapleton and Billy Zane are fun). Of course the music also suffers a big dip in quality, too, but I guess it's softened by the fact that Kuhn's voice is so beautiful. She simply elevates everything she sings, I think.
I like the sequel too. It's nowhere near as good the original, obviously, but it's one of the better DTV sequels, in my opinion. I think it's so hated in the fandom because they gave Pocahontas a new love interest and fans couldn't handle that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I like the sequel, too. (Because I adore John Smith in the original, his characterization rubs me the wrong way, but that's my only complaint.) I really like that Pocahontas is with John Rolfe. Just like my thoughts about Enchanted, I like that it presents a different view, other than the usual "the first person you meet is your one true love!" which obviously Enchanted pays tribute to on purpose, but it's refreshing.
robinhood21
Limited Issue

Post by robinhood21 »

My favourite is Colours of the Wind.
Disney's Divinity

blackcauldron85 wrote:I like the sequel, too. (Because I adore John Smith in the original, his characterization rubs me the wrong way, but that's my only complaint.) I really like that Pocahontas is with John Rolfe. Just like my thoughts about Enchanted, I like that it presents a different view, other than the usual "the first person you meet is your one true love!" which obviously Enchanted pays tribute to on purpose, but it's refreshing.
Same! It might also be true that I didn't like John Smith in the original, and that I was kind of happy to see the character with someone else. Plus, I think I know Billy Zane (who voices Rolfe) more now than back then because of Kingdom Hearts. I think something happened to him in the industry for his career to have just ended all of a sudden. He wasn't even invited back to KH and his character was relevant for every entry up to Kingdom Hearts 3 just released in 2019... Very odd.