Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by Clindor »

Am I the only one who feels like Luca post-credits scene seems like some kind of anthropomorphic callback to Finding Nemo post-credits scene? Surely I’m looking too « deep » into it ^^ but I was expected that little fish to take action at some point ^^’
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^The *whole* film I was wondering what Guiseppe the fish was up to, so I was thrilled to see him at the end, but then I was worried about him because he is stuck in The Deep! I guess Uncle Ugo thought that Guiseppe was Luca since he couldn't see? But I wasn't relating that scene to Finding Nemo personally. But it could definitely be.
Widdi wrote:The cat in particular was a delight.
Yes, we cracked up every time he was on screen!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Enrico Casarosa has said the movie was largely inspired by a childhood friend named Alberto, who he spent summers together with in Italy and who helped him come out of his shell. That friend even went to the premiere in Italy. So I believe him when he says Luca and Alberto are just meant to be friends. Boys and girls can be good friends without attractive feelings towards one another, after all. However, if people read or interpret a gay subtext with "Luca" and see themselves in the characters, that's neat, too.

Was anyone else reminded of kids comics like "Dennis the Menace"? The sorts that just followed kids in their neighbourhood as they got into mishaps with neighbours and other children? I certainly did. Things like the competition storyline would fit right at home in those comics. There's even a Peanuts tv special called "You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown", in which the characters participate in a race. "Luca" really felt like a throwbook to those comics, which added to its appeal for me.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Widdi wrote: I don't get the queerbaiting criticism I keep seeing. Luca and Alberto are both fairly young children, definitely pre-pubescent, though they come across a bit older than they are because kids always do when they are main characters in a movie, but there is no need to put any sort of romantic twist on their friendship. Kids of the same gender are friends in real life all the time. If they were both adults I could maybe see it, but these are kids... stop sexualizing them.
I don't get the queerbaiting criticism for largely the same reasons that you do but saying that asking for romance = sexualizing is really stereotyping of gay people. If one of them was a girl and gave a kiss on the other's cheek no one would say that's sexualizing them. Even if Giulia gave one of them a kiss on the cheek, no one would say that's "sexualizing" them. That would be definitely age appropriate and no one would complain if it was straight kids.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

rodrigo_ca wrote:
Widdi wrote: I don't get the queerbaiting criticism I keep seeing. Luca and Alberto are both fairly young children, definitely pre-pubescent, though they come across a bit older than they are because kids always do when they are main characters in a movie, but there is no need to put any sort of romantic twist on their friendship. Kids of the same gender are friends in real life all the time. If they were both adults I could maybe see it, but these are kids... stop sexualizing them.
I don't get the queerbaiting criticism for largely the same reasons that you do but saying that asking for romance = sexualizing is really stereotyping of gay people. If one of them was a girl and gave a kiss on the other's cheek no one would say that's sexualizing them. Even if Giulia gave one of them a kiss on the cheek, no one would say that's "sexualizing" them. That would be definitely age appropriate and no one would complain if it was straight kids.
This right here. :up:

Thank you for being the only forum member decent enough to address this blatant act of homophobia. Why are the mods not doing anything about this??? :angry: Staying quiet or blind is equivalent to tacit approval.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Not to dogpile, but I was going to say the same thing. Were Eilonwy and Taran sexualized despite kissing and looking around 13 years old? Snow White is 13, I know. If one of the characters had been a girl, a kiss or some hint of a romance would have been a given expectation since it happens all the time in animated fare.* I know the poster is LGBT themselves, but LGBT, like every other group, are not a monolith of thought because I don't agree. *shrug* I sincerely doubt anyone who's criticized this film of queerbaiting ever thought the characters were going to engage in sexual acts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

* Or, since I have the SM banner on anyway, like Chibiusa and Helios? It happens in animated content all the time....
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Finally gave this a watch. I really, really loved this one to be honest.

Unlike with Soul, I didn't feel like I had to keep track of 100+ themes and life lessons being thrown at me in an awkward fashion. Just a cute story with fun characters. Also liked it better than Onward.

The character designs were also wonderful. And I could taste the pasta almost.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This movie was truly great. One of Pixar's very best. Which was hard for them to do, because the beginning reminded me of The Little Mermaid so, so, so many times to the point that it felt very derivative. And it didn't even stop at the beginning. There's a point where Luca's mom even asks if she's been "too hard on" her son in true Triton fashion. Not to mention I was also reminded of The Lion King when the protagonists talked about the stars. But in the end, this was a very exciting, very sweet tale about true friendship. It's theme on friendship was very well explored and heartfelt and some of the theme of good-parenting, while once again reminding of Mermaid, was also emotional. The cat also gets a shout-out for being hilarious enough to constantly make me laugh. There's even a Lady and the Tramp spaghetti reference between that cat and another in the end credits. Oh, and the fish-herding was also funny. And is this, so fitting for Pride Month, Pixar's absolute gayest film yet? In the fashion of the original Mermaid fairy tale, Roberto loses his true love, Luca, to Giulia. All in all, it started out feeling too reminiscent of The Little Mermaid, but then it became it's own original thing, and a sweet, beautiful thing at that.

About gay romance with kids, I had crushes on boys my age in elementary school, I guess 9-11. I didn't quite know I did like those boys. I didn't understand what being gay was at the time.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:I really hope you like it :)
Thanks! I did! I'll expand on my thoughts at another time, but I've watched it twice already and I loved it too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:
farerb wrote:I really hope you like it :)
Thanks! I did! I'll expand on my thoughts at another time, but I've watched it twice already and I loved it too.
That's great to hear :)
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

D82 wrote:OK, you have a point there. The characters being perceived as monsters or having to hide in plain sight didn't occur to me, and you're probably right that now that Disney is pushing diversity people have higher hopes they could finally get LGBT protagonists. The way the characters interact with each other doesn't give me that vibe at all, but maybe it's just me. With Raya though, I do think they intentionally added that element and were queerbaiting, as even Kelly Marie Tran said in interviews she thought there was something between the two characters. Casarosa, on the other hand, has only denied it again and again, and as I said, since the two characters are based so much on him and his best friend growing up, I don't think he has included that element here. The characters in Raya also doesn't dress or act too femininely or have typical female interests (quite the opposite, actually) while Luca and Alberto are very into Vespas, for example, which is a typical male hobby. I'm not saying they couldn't be gay in spite of that or the opposite could be true in the case of Raya, but in my opinion, they aren't hinting at an LGBT relationship here as much as in Raya. As for it being released during Pride month, I think it's most likely just a coincidence, as most Pixar films are released in June.
It's really a bunch of nobodies on Twitter making noise as usual.

The director's already stated it was based on his childhood with his best friend. He explicitly said that it has nothing to do with Call Me By Your Name, but people will still try to force everyone to see it their way and that it is queerbaiting. If you see it, that's great, movies can mean different things to different people, but when the director has already denied it, why does this need to continue?

With Raya, Kelly Marie Tran can say whatever she wants, but that doesn't make it true. In fact, she's the one queerbaiting and pandering, stringing people along where there was no intention to - and then people want to take it out on Disney? And I don't even like Disney as a corporation, but come on. Don't give attention-seeking people (Tran) attention.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Why was my comment defending Tran playing a gay character just deleted??!? Does Disney own everything even the censors on the internet? rotfl
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Your last comment was removed because it contained a personal attack at another member. I know you have strong opinions, but you need to be civil and respectful to others while expressing them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Just 21% of those surveyed knew that the Pixar movie “Luca” is available to Disney Plus subscribers at no extra cost but isn’t available in cinemas. 43% thought “Luca” was also playing in theaters. For “Luca,” just 34% were aware both of the property itself and the fact that it had already premiered.
Source: https://variety.com/2021/film/news/hbo- ... 235002403/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Its been confirmed there's no John Ratzenberger cameo in this. Why on earth would they just stop doing that?
Disney's Divinity

BK wrote: With Raya, Kelly Marie Tran can say whatever she wants, but that doesn't make it true. In fact, she's the one queerbaiting and pandering, stringing people along where there was no intention to - and then people want to take it out on Disney? And I don't even like Disney as a corporation, but come on. Don't give attention-seeking people (Tran) attention.
You clearly don't even know the definition of queerbaiting. Tran expressing out loud that she felt the same about Raya and Namaari's chemistry in relation to one another in a similar way to other viewers isn't queerbaiting. Queerbaiting has to do with what the *movie* / text showcases, not what an actor says. :lol: :roll: But that's nice demonizing a LGBT voice actor in defense of a multi-billion corporation that regularly attempts to have their cake and eat it, too, in regards to the queerbaiting both in Raya and this film.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Kyle wrote:Its been confirmed there's no John Ratzenberger cameo in this. Why on earth would they just stop doing that?
I didn't know he had no cameo in Luca. What a shame. The fact that his voice wasn't in Soul was a bit suspicious, but this definitely confirms something has happened between he and the studio.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

D82 wrote:I didn't know he had no cameo in Luca. What a shame. The fact that his voice wasn't in Soul was a bit suspicious, but this definitely confirms something has happened between he and the studio.
Maybe it has to do with him being a trump supporter?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Kyle wrote:
D82 wrote:I didn't know he had no cameo in Luca. What a shame. The fact that his voice wasn't in Soul was a bit suspicious, but this definitely confirms something has happened between he and the studio.
Maybe it has to do with him being a trump supporter?
While I dislike Trump intensely and think his "regime" was cancerous to American politics, I would never EVER judge somebody purely on their political beliefs.

If Ratzenberger has been "punished" for being a Trump voter (and nothing else), then I think that says more about the ones who cast him off than him.

What is this? The Spanish inquisition!!??
Disney's Divinity

It could be the reverse for all we know, that he decided not to return to voice a character because Disney is becoming "too liberal." Conservatives are often going after the company these days.

That said, if it was because he was a Trump supporter and I'm not sure I buy that that's the case, I wouldn't care. He's not owed a job. Most contracts have stipulations about being able to drop someone if they do something that looks bad in the public eye that would be disadvantageous for the company. Supporting the kind of base evil that Trump represents is not something Disney wants to be associated with, and they have a right not to employ people who represent that if they so choose. *shrug* There's no law requiring them to employ an equal number of Trump supporters to liberals. :lol: