Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by D82 »

Behind-the-scenes featurette for Ciao Alberto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKMpbsB5k4
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^The FYC ads are always so classy.

Dan Romer Scoring Pixar’s ‘Ciao Alberto’
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/11/06 ... o-alberto/
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Ciao, Alberto was the highlight of the new Disney+ offerings for me so far. I absolutely loved this (just as I love Luca). It is funny but has a lot, lot of heart. So wonderful. I choked up.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Ciao, Alberto was the highlight of the new Disney+ offerings for me so far. I absolutely loved this (just as I love Luca). It is funny but has a lot, lot of heart. So wonderful. I choked up.
I totally agree. I loved it too.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:Image
Here's another FYC ad:

Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/disney-fyc-gallery.html
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Luca

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I skimmed through the PCA last night--glad I did, since Christina performed--but I must've missed when they gave out the animated film award. Luca winning all the awards is what I expected for this year since WDAS is dividing their vote. It's for the best, I guess, since the Encanto is more likely to win among the WDAS' films because Miranda was involved, which is a shame because Raya was better, imo. So I'm fine with WDAS losing since the better film wouldn't be recognized even if they won.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^That first shot is really beautiful.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:^That first shot is really beautiful.
I agree :)
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

An earlier version of “Luca” ended not with a bicycle race, but with a giant Kraken destroying most of the town of Portorosso. “When we tried those, the story that we all felt strongly about was the relationship,” he said. “It wanted to be smaller.” Casarosa admitted that he still got notes asking if he could make it bigger. His response? “Remember, we want an intimate movie.”

The process of shaping the film got easier when, during production, John Lasseter, the former Pixar bigwig, left the studio and was replaced by Pete Docter, the soft-spoken filmmaker behind “Inside Out” and “Soul.” “(Lasseter) had great instincts but it was a little more dogmatic,” Casarosa said. “You’d feel like, I have to do this.” Casarosa found himself being more “honest” with Docter and in turn felt more supported. “Pete embraced my vibe,” he said.
https://www.thewrap.com/luca-enrico-cas ... interview/

A KRAKEN. LASSETER WANTED TO PUT A FREAKING KRAKEN IN THE MOST PERFECT MOVIE OF THE YEAR
blackcauldron85

We know that they weren't exactly the "director-focused" company that they led on about. Hopefully now they are- the filmmakers need to feel supported. Good on Pete Docter for being supportive.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for posting! Apparently, it's only available for a limited time as part of Disney's awards campaign for the film, but it's great that we can read it for free! The screenplay has also been made available:

‘Luca’: Read The Screenplay For Disney/Pixar’s Italian Riviera-Inspired Coming-Of-Age Story
https://deadline.com/2022/01/luca-scrip ... 234917867/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I wish the characters looked less “cartoony”.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A story artist on Luca, Lorenzo Fresta, created 2D animation tests for the film. If only the entire movie looked like that.

https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 2242141184
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQWU7i_K6zD/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

I don't love Alberto's look in the first clip- he's a little off I guess (he reminds me of Beavis or Butthead tbh!)- but the rest looks great, and I love the 2nd clip!!

I like the look of the film we got, but hand drawn is just extra magical.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I finally had access to Disney+ yesterday (not where I live, personally, but via someone else). I was able to watch Luca (+ the Ciao, Alberto short) and Turning Red. The next things I try to watch when I get the chance will be Soul, Eternals, and Shang-Chi (eventually maybe skim through HSM:The Musical: The Series' second and third seasons). I did try to watch Howard (the documentary) before these two, but there was too much talking for me to concentrate (I guess a documentary isn't as interesting to other people as it is for me); maybe I'll get a chance to watch that one alone at some point, Idk. Saw Encanto again, too. (I still plan to buy that one when I re-start my DMC later this year, but it was nice seeing it again until then.)

I really enjoyed Luca, one of the better PIXAR films, without a doubt. To me, this film is sort of like if all of Up had been Ellie and Carl as children (and I'd have preferred a movie of that to what the rest of Up actually was, tbh), since Alberto and Luca have a similar dorky quality to them. Sea creature!Luca was adorbs, much more than his human design. It's a shame more of the film wasn't underwater, but that may be because of them wanting to avoid those same similarities to TLM so many other viewers felt. His wonder over the human stuff was so like Ariel in the ship with the fork and pipe, and Alberto acting sort of like a better version of Scuttle. I loved the opening with him chasing the sheep-like fish around. I felt like all the characters "worked"; Giulia was the one I had the most hesitation about going into this, and even that character was fine. Ercole is like Skinner (Ratatouille) as a child; they feel really similar to one another.

The only criticism I'd have for the film is somehow it felt very...inconsequential in a way? I mean, Luca going to a school on land is a big deal and everything, but there was more dramatic weight to Alberto's and even Giulia's story than there was to Luca's. If Disney the company is going to sequel things to death, I feel like this one is much more rife for one than some of their others. I can imagine a sequel where the characters are a little older. Then again, I wanted a sequel with a small age jump for The Incredibles, and when we did get a sequel they made the movie take place almost 5 seconds after the last one ended. :/ So... I'd rather see characters grow up a little like with Andy from Toy Story (1) to 3; get to see what Dash and Violet looked like in high school, for example, or Alberto, Luca, and Giulia as teenagers, that kind of thing.

I'm feeling much more positive about PIXAR's direction these days. This is one of the few PIXAR films I wouldn't mind owning along with Finding Dory, Monsters, Inc. (not that horrid prequel though), The Incredibles (don't hate its sequel, but it's not worth owning), the fToy Story films, Inside Out, and Turning Red being the other ones. Ratatouille and Coco have a mixture of good and bad, so question mark with those; I like Anton Ego, Skinner, and Gusteau in Ratatouille even if the mice's storyline is an overdone one and Remy's voice actor is an eyesore just like Marlin in Finding Nemo, whereas with Coco, the only parts I like to see again are the ones with the grandmother at the beginning and the great grandmother at the end, tbh. PIXAR used to be the most boring animation company to me even despite their output having less of a trainwreck-y vibe than most Dreamworks films--which made their influence on WDAS especially unbearable--but I feel like they've finally stopped being stagnant, dull, and predictable (both in style and characters / story). This and TR both feel sort of like Americanized Ghibli.
Disney Duster wrote:And is this, so fitting for Pride Month, Pixar's absolute gayest film yet? In the fashion of the original Mermaid fairy tale, Roberto loses his true love, Luca, to Giulia. All in all, it started out feeling too reminiscent of The Little Mermaid, but then it became it's own original thing, and a sweet, beautiful thing at that.

About gay romance with kids, I had crushes on boys my age in elementary school, I guess 9-11. I didn't quite know I did like those boys. I didn't understand what being gay was at the time.
I also read the film this way, that Alberto "loses" Luca to Giulia in a sense. It's compounded by the two older women who are together all the time turning out to be sea monsters in hiding, too, as well as the scene where Alberto "outs himself" and his look of betrayal when Luca pretends he's not what he is to Giulia--plus, the film being released during Pride month... I'm sorry, I can't help but feel like all that was intentional. I believe Giulia does kiss Luca on the cheek at one point (not as a serious moment or anything, more cavalierly), but I could be wrong about that. Either way, Alberto was clearly jealous at Giulia hording in on their friendship and pulling Luca over to her, and the final scene of him giving the train ticket to Luca to go with her felt as if the character was accepting Luca was closer to Giulia and wants to be with her and be like her rather than him. It was definitely bittersweet. I liked that the short explored Alberto's lack of a family for sure; I knew that he would end up staying with Giulia's father since that would give him a "home."

Luca also has a grandmother who talks of visiting the surface (inspiring Luca) and smooths over the conflict with his oppressive parental figure the way the mermaid in that fairy tale does.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »