Spellbound

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Spellbound

Post by estefan »

Alan Menken mentioned on that video shared in the John Lasseter thread that he was working on a project for Skydance Animation. Could the one referenced in this article be that project?
Spellbound (working title), directed by Vicky Jenson (Shrek) and written by Lauren Hynek, Elizabeth Martin (Mulan) and Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King), which is a musical fantasy set in a world of magic where a young girl sets out to break the spell that has split her kingdom in two.
Seems up Menken's alley, although I'm obviously just speculating.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Alan Menken News & Discussion

Post by Sotiris »

Since it's the only one of their upcoming projects that's labeled a musical, that must be it. It sounds intriguing. A previous logline reads:
The script is said to center on a teenager who comes of age using her magical powers to defend her family when the opposing forces of light and darkness threaten to divide her kingdom.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... rs-1022425
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So Woolverton is also involved. Interesting they'd be working with someone who helped make Shrek. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Alan Menken to Compose Original Songs and Score for Skydance Animation's 'Spellbound'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behin ... nd-1295380
He will be joined by lyricist and frequent collaborator Glenn Slater (Tangled) and music producer Chris Montan (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen).
Vicky Jenson (Shrek, Shark Tale) is helming Spellbound, which is written by Lauren Hynek and Elizabeth Martin (Mulan) and Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King). The story is set in a world of magic where a young girl must break the spell that has split her kingdom in two.

This is the most direct hit on Disney Animation I've ever seen
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The fact that it's very Disney-like got me both sold and concerned. I wonder if the story is a Disney parody or not. Lasseter clearly wants revenge on Disney for putting him in his place and the story & the phenomenal team might not be a concidence. Maybe that's why he's hiring Menken as a desperate attempt. Still a disappointment that Menken is working with him. :(
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

It sickens me to think Lasseter thinks he can out-Disney Disney when he's responsible for most of the changes that caused Disney to stray away from their roots.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

disneyprincess11 wrote:The fact that it's very Disney-like got me both sold and concerned. I wonder if the story is a Disney parody or not. Lasseter clearly wants revenge on Disney for putting him in his place and the story & the phenomenal team might not be a concidence. Maybe that's why he's hiring Menken as a desperate attempt. Still a disappointment that Menken is working with him. :(
So... Dreamworks all over again?
Disney's Divinity

^ Lasseter probably wants revenge for being ousted just like Katzenberg, so... Whereas Don Bluth just wanted to revive the kind of films he loved. I don't know why Lasseter would want to do some fairytale-esque considering he made the studio PIXAR-like in the first place--unfortunately.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Spellbound's release date:
November 11, 2022
https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199668/al ... ease-date/
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:^ Lasseter probably wants revenge for being ousted just like Katzenberg, so... Whereas Don Bluth just wanted to revive the kind of films he loved. I don't know why Lasseter would want to do some fairytale-esque considering he made the studio PIXAR-like in the first place--unfortunately.
In the end Lasseter did as much( If not more) harm to Disney as Michael Eisner !

At least That’s What i think . I wanted Disney to be a secend rate Disney , he never cared about 2D animation i think :( It was just empty words !

Also he is a swxual Preadtor so he is automatically worse than Eisner,

I have never really got the hate for Eisner, during hos time Atlantis , Hercules and Emperore’s New Grove were made some of my FAVORITES.

And i was oppsesd with Lilo & Sitch as kid i loved it more than any other movir :)

But i still think Spellbound seems like a rather good movie . I love Musicals and i love Fariy Tales. So Win/Win here !!

(Sorry for the Spelling , i have Dyslexia :( :cry:)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Spellbound (2022)

Post by Farerb »

Lasseter didn't have as much power as Eisner did. I also think that Bob Iger is kind of forgotten here, I feel like he's the one who made Disney into a cynical corporate. Anyway, I think Eisner is as good as the people whom he surrounds himself with and it was actually him who decided that the studio wouldn't make traditional animation anymore.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

farerb wrote:Lasseter didn't have as much power as Eisner did. I also think that Bob Iger is kind of forgotten here, I feel like he's the one who made Disney into a cynical corporate. Anyway, I think Eisner is as good as the people whom he surrounds himself with and it was actually him who decided that the studio wouldn't make traditional animation anymore.
I like Eisner beacuse i was the Head of the Animation Devsion when many of my Favorite Animated movies were made,

I read that Eisner’s Favorite Animated movie made while he was in charge was ”Hunchback”.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Eisner wasn't the Head of the Animation Devsion, he was the CEO of the Walt Disney Company, just like Bob Iger is now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Eisner wasn't the Head of the Animation Divsion, he was the CEO of the Walt Disney Company, just like Bob Iger is now.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I apologizes for the mistake. :(

Are you angry ? :oops:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyFan97 wrote:I apologizes for the mistake. :(

Are you angry ? :oops:
No. There's no reason for me to be angry. Everything is fine.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: John Lasseter Accused of Sexual Assault

Post by D82 »

Apple in Talks to Pick Up Skydance Animated Movies 'Luck,' 'Spellbound'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... spellbound
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

First look.

Source: https://deadline.com/2021/02/apple-skyd ... 234695506/

Close-up. Not fond of the protagonist's character design. It's too caricatured for a lead.

Source: https://deadline.com/2021/02/apple-skyd ... 234695506/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think this could be very good , i like Linda Woolverton !

I really lik e the work of Alan Menken and Glenn Slater 1

Although i prefer Tim Rice and with Stephen Schwartz

I still think this could be really good !

Since Vicky Jenson is involved i hope it will be a lot like Shrek

I hope the movie is fairytale-esque

But i would be all down for a full on parody on Disney-Style fairytales too !
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:Since it's the only one of their upcoming projects that's labeled a musical, that must be it. It sounds intriguing. A previous logline reads:
The script is said to center on a teenager who comes of age using her magical powers to defend her family when the opposing forces of light and darkness threaten to divide her kingdom.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... rs-1022425
Reading this back now after we've found out so much more about Raya, doesn't this seem very similar thematically to Raya? A divided kingdom, a warrior princess's coming-of-age story and journey to repair her broken world, the protagonist's family being personally affected (Raya's father) by the battle between light and darkness (dragons v. shadow creatures, the Druun).

If only *Raya* had been a musical with Alan Menken involved, but otherwise I don't expect this to be in Raya's league. We'll see.