Disney Announces Future Stage Musicals

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Disney Announces Future Stage Musicals

Post by disneyprincess11 »

He outlined a number of newish projects for the company, none of them aimed at Broadway. A new production of “Beauty and the Beast,” with the same creative team that worked on the 1994 original, is slated to open overseas next spring and in the United States in 2022, and the company is working on a new, smaller, touring production of “Aladdin.”

He said the company has also begun work on two new musicals adapted from Disney films: “The Jungle Book” will be directed by Christopher Gattelli with a book by Rajiv Joseph and new songs by Richard Sherman. And “Hercules,” directed by Lear deBessonet, will be written by Robert Horn, Alan Menken and David Zippel, expanded from a version that ran last year at New York’s Delacorte Theater under the auspices of the Public Theater.

A new production of the musical “Aida,” directed by Schele Williams, aims to open in Germany in the spring of 2022.

Schumacher also said Disney is developing musical adaptations of “The Princess Bride,” with a book by Bob Martin and Rick Elice and songs by David Yazbek, as well as “Bedknobs and Broomsticks,” directed by Candice Edmunds and Jamie Harrison, with a book by Brian Hill and new songs by Neil Bartram.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/thea ... virus.html
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Announces Future Stage Musicals

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thank you for posting this!

There was a rumor that the BATB revival would just be the pared-down touring production brought to Broadway, but I hope that the inclusion of the 1994 creative means that the revival will resemble the original production! I suppose we will find out in the spring based on the European production. Potentially something that could get me out to New York in the future, though!

It appears this new “Jungle Book” has a different book writer than the production that premiered in Chicago a few years back (written and directed by Mary Zimmerman). I wonder if the new Richard Sherman music was originally written for the Chicago production or if this stuff is entirely new?

EDIT: Oh shoot, just realized I misread the BATB news re: Broadway. Damn.
Last edited by UmbrellaFish on Thu May 14, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Disney Announces Future Stage Musicals

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I'm so thrilled and surprised that JUNGLE BOOK is back on. The Boston show looked so gorgeous! Even more surprised that Richard Sherman is doing the new songs. :dance: :dance: :dance: Andre de Shields (whom I saw in Hadestown, he was indeed AMAZING) reprising King Louie would be a bonus.