Streaming vs. theaters - how do studios make money?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Streaming vs. theaters - how do studios make money?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I have heard that "Trolls World Tour" managed to make a ton of money on-demand without ever going into theaters. However, I really have no idea how the movie industry makes money on streaming (or on-demand) as opposed to showing it in the theaters? With theaters, it seems fairly simple: when you buy a ticket, most of it goes toward the studio that produced it, and when you buy concessions, that supports the theater.

But I have no idea how a movie studio can make money on a movie that goes directly to streaming, like, say (since this we're talking about Disney), "Onward". And also, I heard "Artemis Fowl" is also going directly to Disney Plus, as well, so again, I have no idea how they can make money on something on streaming or on demand. I thought the money on streaming went to the streaming service itself, not directly to any one movie on the service. A kind of one-price-pays-all deal, if you will.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Streaming vs. theaters - how do studios make money?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ I haven't posted because I wonder the same thing. But this is interesting. With this knowledge in mind, I wonder if the voice cast of Scoob! is nervous? And they know ahead of time. I don't know much about how people who work on films are paid, from the directors, producers, to the voice cast, to the animators, etc etc. Is it just the voice cast who didn't get paid yet? Or did they get a base pay but they're only worried about not getting bonuses?

NBCU's 'Trolls' Play: Stars Want Pay, But Will Studio Make Any Money?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ey-1293394
blackcauldron85

http://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/univer ... 234576787/
films released under the Universal Pictures and Focus Features banners will be exhibited in AMC Theaters across the United States with a 17-day theatrical window...films released by Universal Pictures and Focus Features can play in AMC Theaters for three weekends before hitting premium video on demand platforms
&
deadline.com/2020/07/universal-amc-theatres-theatrical-window-crush-pvod-agreement-1202997573/
From what I hear, if a movie is performing like gangbusters at the box office, i.e. like a Get Out, Fast & Furious movie, Illumination title or Jurassic World, Uni won’t simply cut and run and put the feature on PVOD. They’re apt to live the green of the theatrical run out.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The second quote is what I assumed when I read the announcement. Universal isn't going to put a Jurassic World and Fast & Furious on demand a few weeks after opening. It will most likely be films whose theatrical run is already starting to slow down.

I do wonder how this will affect even smaller films that open on a few screens and then slowly expand. Films like "Jojo Rabbit" or "Parasite" that generate their grosses through word-of-mouth and adding screens every week. Although "Parasite" was still making money in theatres even after it was made available on demand and released on Blu-Ray/DVD.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

So far, the pitch is receiving some skepticism. Disney is particularly dismissive of the idea, because it fears that the shorter windows will jeopardize the profitability of family-friendly titles. Theoretically, parents would save a great deal of money on tickets and concessions by skipping theaters and paying $20 to rent an animated hit instead of shelling out for individual tickets. And in recent years, Disney’s dominance over the box office has been unparalleled. The studio commanded nearly 40% of the domestic market — doubling that of its closest rival studios, Warner Bros. and Disney.
Source: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/univ ... 234719703/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

It's been a while since we've gone with family to see a movie at the theater. Puss In Boots: The Last Wish tickets: 3 adults, 2 kids: $78. 4 drinks, large popcorn, 3 candy: $50. Whoa. So expensive. Streaming makes way smarter financial sense obviously for families.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, that's horrible. Generally, I don't order anything, but when you go as a family, of course that's the ideal. I would just sneak food in in a bag or purse. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is now available to watch at home (purchase or rent) and is still in theaters:
https://www.watchpussinboots.com/?__sou ... aystowatch
Snow52

Post by Snow52 »

My kids keep asking me when we're going to watch it in theaters :lol:
shimran

Post by shimran »

Snow52 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:58 am My kids keep asking me when we're going to watch it in theaters :lol:
My daughters also asked me the same question. I need suggestions should I go with them to the theatre or watch on streaming? Suggest me plz.
blackcauldron85

^ I mean, it'll obviously be cheaper to just stream it. Above I mentioned seeing it with 3 kids (well, one with an adult ticket) and 2 adults, and it was $78 for tickets, $50 for snacks.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Snow52 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:58 amMy kids keep asking me when we're going to watch it in theaters :lol:
The member Snow52 is a bot. Bots have become eerily good at pretending to be people.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I enjoy going to the theater over streaming. I like the experience, so my suggestion is always going to be to go to the actual theater. In Puss in Boot's case though, I'd especially suggest it. It's a great film, and imo plays much better on the big screen. Hollywood needs to know we want more films like this than another cash grab. Even though it is another sequel, this movie does what it can to truly stand apart. I'd say go to a theater, rather than stay at home in this case.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:48 pmBots have become eerily good at pretending to be people.
That's pretty scary.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"