Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Post by Sotiris »

CEO Bob Chapek Responds to Allegations of Disney Being ‘Too Woke’
https://wdwnt.com/2022/10/bob-chapek-re ... -too-woke/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Anyone who doesn't like the current films because of casts that aren't White, or female characters that aren't weak / passive, or the mere existence of gay or gay-coded characters who aren't villains or evil haven't liked Disney since at least the '80s. I grew up with films like Aladdin, Mulan, and Pocahontas, and I didn't feel like they were any different than TLM, Hercules, TLK, etc (aside from Pocahontas being a much weaker film altogether). I imagine children today are the same way. Only adults are triggered by these kinds of things, and they'll look for things to be bothered by that aren't even there. You can easily apply the same criticism to the Renaissance since it's not a criticism based in any kind of reason.

Let's focus on the quality of the films themselves. Big Hero 6 was bad, Moana was bland, but I enjoyed TP&TF, Raya and Encanto. Strange World *could* end up being a bad movie in the end, but it featuring a gay character won't be the reason...it'll be the weak designs, poor story, unappetizing color schemes, etc. that will be the reason if so. Just like I don't believe WDAS is incapable of making good films that are "boy's films"--if they stopped using stereotypes of boys to create them and look at the successful "boy's films" they made in the past for reference (Aladdin, TLK, Tarzan, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, etc), that didn't shy away from musical sequences, drama and emotion, colorful designs, etc. It's these stereotypes WDAS likes to fall back on when they're trying to cater to boys--like that boys only like movies that are the color brown and have lots of fart jokes--that's why they've had trouble making successful "boy's films," starting with Atlantis, TP, etc. If they would simply focus on making good movies the same way they do the "girls' films"--and promoting them like good movies rather than than garbage (TP's advertising was nothing but the farting alien, for example)--they wouldn't have issues making "boys' films." After all, mothers more or less are the ones who choose what movies to take their children to see... I believe I read a quote from Walt once that if you can get mom, you hook the whole family since mothers are often the ones who make those kinds of movie-going decisions most of the time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

You all better #GetOutAndVote and #VoteForDemocrats up and down the ballot over the next 5-6 days leading into Election Night to make Disney breathe a sigh of relief that they won’t have to deal with a GOP Congress ripping them for being “too woke,” if this report is true by any indication: https://t.co/eO7MsUaDxI.

#DeliverABlueTsunami

You want Disney to stop donating to bad people.

#GetOutAndVote over the next 5-6 days like your future and the future of Disney’s diverse storytelling people depend on it.

Good luck.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney President Bob Chapek ‘Absolutely’ Has to Be Fired, CNBC’s Jim Cramer Says
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/11/bob-c ... 234780809/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:24 pm You all better #GetOutAndVote and #VoteForDemocrats up and down the ballot over the next 5-6 days leading into Election Night to make Disney breathe a sigh of relief that they won’t have to deal with a GOP Congress ripping them for being “too woke,” if this report is true by any indication: https://t.co/eO7MsUaDxI.

#DeliverABlueTsunami

#GetOutAndVote over the next 5-6 days like your future and the future of Disney’s diverse storytelling people depend on it.

Good luck.
Sorry I voted straight red.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

carolinakid wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:19 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:24 pm You all better #GetOutAndVote and #VoteForDemocrats up and down the ballot over the next 5-6 days leading into Election Night to make Disney breathe a sigh of relief that they won’t have to deal with a GOP Congress ripping them for being “too woke,” if this report is true by any indication: https://t.co/eO7MsUaDxI.

#DeliverABlueTsunami

Good luck.
Sorry I voted straight red.
Aw man.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney plans targeted hiring freeze and job cuts, according to a memo from CEO Bob Chapek
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/11/disney- ... -says.html
(via WDWNT)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Even more penny-pinching from Chapek. :roll: Telling staff to have virtual meetings instead of travelling was particularly laughable. I can only imagine the dive in quality and customer service that's about to ensue. Someone needs to tell him there's more to leadership than saving a buck.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:53 pm Even more penny-pinching from Chapek. :roll: Telling staff to have virtual meetings instead of travelling was particularly laughable. I can only imagine the dive in quality and customer service that's about to ensue. Someone needs to tell him there's more to leadership than saving a buck.
Sorry, but in order to make art, you need to save money and preserve it. No money means no art made.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:02 am Disney President Bob Chapek ‘Absolutely’ Has to Be Fired, CNBC’s Jim Cramer Says
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/11/bob-c ... 234780809/
Sorry, Jim. He's staying and he's not leaving, no matter what his haters/critics say.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

They knew that before Disney+ would ever start turning a profit they’d have to make huge investments and face losses first. I hate the short term knee jerk response to earnings reports. We’re all slaves to Wallstreet.

D+ is still growing in terms of subscribers and the cheaper ad-supported tier isn’t out yet. The sales business model from linear TV is moving to streaming but this transition takes time.

Firing people is short term nonsense. They need people to build these platforms and make them thrive. A hiring freeze is not going to make your problems go away. Often times a company could cut costs by stopping bonuses for senior management etc, but instead the departments that are already seeing a shortage in staff are faced with a hiring freeze.

I hope people quit the company out of protest.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Says They ‘Ought to Listen’ to Audience, So Why Aren’t They?
https://wdwnt.com/2022/11/disney-ceo-bo ... rent-they/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:12 am Disney CEO Bob Chapek Says They ‘Ought to Listen’ to Audience, So Why Aren’t They?
https://wdwnt.com/2022/11/disney-ceo-bo ... rent-they/
Apparently they are when it comes to the promise of more original adult content on Disney+ in America: https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-r- ... ive-action
Disney's Divinity

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote:You all better #GetOutAndVote and #VoteForDemocrats up and down the ballot over the next 5-6 days leading into Election Night to make Disney breathe a sigh of relief that they won’t have to deal with a GOP Congress ripping them for being “too woke,” if this report is true by any indication: https://t.co/eO7MsUaDxI.

#DeliverABlueTsunami

Good luck.
I voted straight blue. :) But even if a red wave had actually materialized, one election in one country is not going to affect what Disney chooses to do. If anything, as I've said before, a rise of hatred in positions of power would only encourage Disney towards more diversity, not less if the years following Trump are any indication. :lol: Even DeSantis targeting their special district status as a form of political censorship didn't have any impact on the company's direction and that was in the company's home state, so...
PatrickvD wrote:They knew that before Disney+ would ever start turning a profit they’d have to make huge investments and face losses first. I hate the short term knee jerk response to earnings reports. We’re all slaves to Wallstreet.

D+ is still growing in terms of subscribers and the cheaper ad-supported tier isn’t out yet. The sales business model from linear TV is moving to streaming but this transition takes time.
Exactly, they already prepared for losses in the short-term for long-term gain. And Chapek just renewed for 3 more years, they're no firing him. Of course, it's probably still a hard pill to swallow after all the pandemic-related losses.

Personally, how he initially handled LGBT issues bothered me, but that snafu ended up causing Disney to lean hard into LGBT characters and so on... Otherwise, I feel like things have been going fairly well since Chapek came on. The Disney Princess line returning the characters to their roots, the release of several TV series, the possible revival of hand-drawn animation on Disney+... I feel like those things only happened after Iger and Lasseter were finally removed.

I think a lot of media sources--like CNBC--probably would like Iger back in for political reasons. I didn't hate Iger as much as Lasseter, but I wouldn't be sad if Iger is kept out.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:12 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote:You all better #GetOutAndVote and #VoteForDemocrats up and down the ballot over the next 5-6 days leading into Election Night to make Disney breathe a sigh of relief that they won’t have to deal with a GOP Congress ripping them for being “too woke,” if this report is true by any indication: https://t.co/eO7MsUaDxI.

#DeliverABlueTsunami

Good luck.
I voted straight blue. :) But even if a red wave had actually materialized, one election in one country is not going to affect what Disney chooses to do. If anything, as I've said before, a rise of hatred in positions of power would only encourage Disney towards more diversity, not less if the years following Trump are any indication. :lol: Even DeSantis targeting their special district status as a form of political censorship didn't have any impact on the company's direction and that was in the company's home state, so...
PatrickvD wrote:They knew that before Disney+ would ever start turning a profit they’d have to make huge investments and face losses first. I hate the short term knee jerk response to earnings reports. We’re all slaves to Wallstreet.

Exactly, they already prepared for losses in the short-term for long-term gain. And Chapek just renewed for 3 more years, they're no firing him. Of course, it's probably still a hard pill to swallow after all the pandemic-related losses.

Personally, how he initially handled LGBT issues bothered me, but that snafu ended up causing Disney to lean hard into LGBT characters and so on... Otherwise, I feel like things have been going fairly well since Chapek came on. The Disney Princess line returning the characters to their roots, the release of several TV series, the possible revival of hand-drawn animation on Disney+... I feel like those things only happened after Iger and Lasseter were finally removed.

I think a lot of media sources--like CNBC--probably would like Iger back in for political reasons. I didn't hate Iger as much as Lasseter, but I wouldn't be sad if Iger is kept out.
Agreed. Get that coward Iger away from Disney for good.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chapek's out! :shock:

Disney Shocker! Bob Iger Back As CEO, Bob Chapek Out
https://deadline.com/2022/11/disney-bob ... 235178223/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Wow, that was totally unexpected. :o Well, maybe not Chapek leaving, but certainly Iger returning.
Disney's Divinity

Wow, that is shocking. I thought if Chapek were to get the boot, it would be a few years from now. With Iger there, i feel like there's less chance for hand-drawn animation, but who knows, maybe that will still happen.

He's "agreed to serve," pfftt! :lol: Like they had to pull his arm or something. I believe the push for Iger was more because he only left because he was delusional about wanting to run for president. When his political aspirations went kaput, he wanted back at Disney. Oh, well... Hopefully things will still be okay at WDAS and PIXAR despite him being back, he was never a control freak with a grudge like Lasseter.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farewell, Chapek.

May your success in getting creative, mature, and adult content on Disney+ in America and letting Disney be more open to LGBTQ representation in Marvel, Pixar, and Disney Animation continue during the 2-year re-run of Bob Iger.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Well, that didn't last too long rotfl