Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:07 pm Well, that's true. Regarding Wish, since it's released next year it's probably quite advanced in production, but I guess he could still make some changes. And if it was really bad, he could also postpone it or even cancel it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they still didn't know what the story is. Don't forget Frozen II and everything we know from its documentary.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

singerguy04 wrote:That's why I'm not as concerned for a film like Wish for example. Now that Iger's back and a focus of his is to restore the creative structure of the company. It's one project I think will see a positive effect from that.
Wish is the reason I'm not worried about WDAS despite the doomsaying and wishes that they would fail. Wish is a musical princess film for one, looks great for another, has the 100th anniversary giving it extra push, and Iger being back means they'll likely devote maximum advertising to it as well to get himself a win for his own self-interest.

At this point, I'm starting to believe Iger sort of planned things the way they went to set Chapek up just in case he needed a way back into Disney later. That would explain why a film that had to have been greenlit while he was there seemed very deliberately modeled around Treasure Planet and Atlantis.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:47 pm I wouldn't be surprised if they still didn't know what the story is. Don't forget Frozen II and everything we know from its documentary.
I still haven't seen that documentary. I didn't have Disney+ when it was released and since I didn't like the movie, I haven't been in a hurry to see it, but I'm sure it'll be interesting. I'll have to watch it someday. But regarding Wish, that's actually the impression I got from the D23 presentation. I know they have probably worked on it for a long time, but to me it sounded like something they had improvised for the expo and hadn't developed much yet. Of the WDAS projects presented at D23, it's perhaps the one that has looked worst to me so far. When I first heard about it, I actually hoped it would be cancelled, as has happened with other films introduced at the expo in the past such as King of the Elves or Gigantic. However, this one is at a quite advanced stage right now, so I guess that's unlikely to happen. I hope I'm wrong, though, and it only looks that way because we don't know enough about the story yet and how all the elements work together.

I do appreciate that it's a return to the classic Disney style design-wise, although judging by the animation test we saw in the background when Ariana DeBose was performing her song, I don't think I'm going to like the non-photorealistic rendering. It looks more comic book-inspired than an homage to 2D animation to me. I didn't particularly like the song either, so there's not much that makes me exited for the film right now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't think the movie will be cancelled after the way they announced it at D23. I don't like the premise of the wishing star, and kingdom in peril and a Disney princess needs to save it is basically every Princess movie in the last decade, they should move on from this (but not to ideas like Strange World).
I'm sure the style will be exactly like Spider-Man, The Mitchells vs The Machines, The Bad Guys and Puss in Boots, and they try to market it as "a return to form" or whatever, they're just going to disappoint people again. Even Elemental beat them to it.
The song was bland.

I recommend watching Into the Unknown, it gives you an insight on how things work at Disney nowadays (or at least 2019) and it's way way better than Frozen II, you will actually understand why the movie turned out to be such a mess. Remember the first teaser they released on February 2019 in order to deflect attention from the bad CGI of the Genie in the Aladdin remake? Apparently they still had no idea what the movie is going to be about, so the teaser is basically just "epic shots" they cobbled together, none of which (except Elsa and the dark sea) were in the movie itself.
So yeah, watch it and please let me know your thoughts afterward.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 pmI do appreciate that it's a return to the classic Disney style design-wise, although judging by the animation test we saw in the background when Ariana DeBose was performing her song, I don't think I'm going to like the non-photorealistic rendering. It looks more comic book-inspired than an homage to 2D animation to me. I didn't particularly like the song either, so there's not much that makes me exited for the film right now.
I'm also glad they're returning to the Disney house style and the female-led musical, but the concept seems underwhelming. The prospect of lots of fanservice worries me too. I was not a fan of that animation test either. It looked like unfinished, pre-rendered CG footage; not like 2D at all. The song was incredibly bland and forgettable which doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence about the movie's musical approach. I just hope it turns out to be something decent. That's all I can hope for out of WDAS now. I don't expect greatness or timelessness, anymore.
Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:26 pmI don't like the premise of the wishing star, and kingdom in peril and a Disney princess needs to save it is basically every Princess movie in the last decade, they should move on from this (but not to ideas like Strange World).
Did you end up watching Strange World yet? What did you think of it?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:29 amDid you end up watching Strange World yet? What did you think of it?
Not yet. I'm going to it on December 23rd when the kids are on a holiday break. Ironically, December 23-24 are supposedly the dates the movie will be released on Disney+, though they haven't officially announced it yet.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

We’ve seen a newly appointed Warner CEO shelve an entire finished Batgirl film because it didn’t fit the ‘plans’ for the DC universe.

So I’d say anything is possible right now. Wish could at the very least be retooled if Iger’s appointees feel it’s subpar.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

PatrickvD wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:00 am We’ve seen a newly appointed Warner CEO shelve an entire finished Batgirl film because it didn’t fit the ‘plans’ for the DC universe.

So I’d say anything is possible right now. Wish could at the very least be retooled if Iger’s appointees feel it’s subpar.
I don't think so. Not after the people behind Frozen, who are working on Wish, proved Iger they were right that keeping Olaf in the movie was a good idea. And considering they gave Iger two $1.235 billion dollar hits, they'll probably trust them with what they do on Wish.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:29 am
D82 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 pmI do appreciate that it's a return to the classic Disney style design-wise, although judging by the animation test we saw in the background when Ariana DeBose was performing her song, I don't think I'm going to like the non-photorealistic rendering. It looks more comic book-inspired than an homage to 2D animation to me. I didn't particularly like the song either, so there's not much that makes me exited for the film right now.
I'm also glad they're returning to the Disney house style and the female-led musical, but the concept seems underwhelming. The prospect of lots of fanservice worries me too. I was not a fan of that animation test either. It looked like unfinished, pre-rendered CG footage; not like 2D at all. The song was incredibly bland and forgettable which doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence about the movie's musical approach. I just hope it turns out to be something decent. That's all I can hope for out of WDAS now. I don't expect greatness or timelessness, anymore.
Sorry, Sotiris, but the animators working on Wish are standing by their word that this movie marks a slow but certain return to 2D or hand-drawn animation at Disney with the hashtag #2DAnimation in WDAS animator Taylor Gessler’s IG post on her first day animating Wish (Halloween Day 2022): https://www.instagram.com/p/CkblN3GS2fn ... I4MTIyMDE=.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:10 pmSorry, Sotiris, but the animators working on Wish are standing by their word that this movie marks a slow but certain return to 2D or hand-drawn animation at Disney with the hashtag #2DAnimation in WDAS animator Taylor Gessler’s IG post on her first day animating Wish
That doesn't prove anything. People often put hashtags on their posts that aren't directly relevant in order for their content to have broader reach and be discoverable on Instagram. Taylor is a CG animator who has only ever worked on CG projects.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:34 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:10 pmSorry, Sotiris, but the animators working on Wish are standing by their word that this movie marks a slow but certain return to 2D or hand-drawn animation at Disney with the hashtag #2DAnimation in WDAS animator Taylor Gessler’s IG post on her first day animating Wish
That doesn't prove anything. People often put hashtags on their posts that aren't directly relevant in order for their content to have broader reach and be discoverable on Instagram. Taylor is a CG animator who has only ever worked on CG projects.
Perhaps she’s also working with 2D animators on Wish as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:55 pmPerhaps she’s also working with 2D animators on Wish as well.
2D animators doing draw-overs to improve the CG animation, sure; actual 2D animation making it into the final product, highly doubtful.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:59 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:55 pmPerhaps she’s also working with 2D animators on Wish as well.
2D animators doing draw-overs to improve the GC animation, sure; actual 2D animation making it into the final product, highly doubtful.
Well, maybe not in Wish, but maybe in Tiana, despite your doubts about that as well, otherwise they wouldn’t have delayed it to 2024 and kept it in 2023, like they kept the Chip n Dale movie slated for its Disney+ release in Spring 2022.

I’m sorry, Sotiris, but I am not giving up hope that, soon, hand-drawn animation will come back to Disney, whether it would be in Tiana or in a future WDAS story after Tiana. Hell, even Eric Goldberg said a feature with a lot of hand-drawn animation is in the works at Disney. So, I’ll take my chances and be hopeful that 2024 will mark the return of hand-drawn animation at Disney in the Tiana series on Disney+, especially if Eric Goldberg’s comments about not being ready yet to reveal Tiana’s animation style means he’s overseeing the hand-drawn animation with Stella Maghie.

I mean, come on, one can dream.
Last edited by D23ExpoVisitor25 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:52 am I don't think so. Not after the people behind Frozen, who are working on Wish, proved Iger they were right that keeping Olaf in the movie was a good idea. And considering they gave Iger two $1.235 billion dollar hits, they'll probably trust them with what they do on Wish.
I agree with you. Besides, Wish looks utterly gorgeous and wonderful from what little we've seen of it whereas King of the Elves and Gigantic both looked (and sounded) awful. The only thing I was looking forward to about either one of them was the Lopezes being a part of the latter, everything else... Nah. Wish's plot is similar to princess films from the past 5 or so years, true, but nobody has a problem with Elemental being at least the 25th+ film in the buddy roadtrip style from PIXAR (not including 10 or so more WDAS films made similar to that style since PIXAR leaked over there). 5 or so movies (Frozen, Moana, Raya, Encanto, Wish) with a similar structure from WDAS is quite quaint in comparison. Literally the only thing that gives me pause about Wish is the music. "More of Us" was very middling.... I wish they'd picked someone from Broadway rather than a radio artist like Julia Michaels. That said, I mean, there were Elton John and Phil Collins in the '90s, so she could prove us wrong. And either way about it Ariana DeBose is amazing and would lift even poor material (if it comes to that) much the way Anika Noni Rose and Keith David did for TP&TF. I'd be more worried if this was another Mandy Moore or Stephanie Beatriz situation, neither of them have very good voices...

And I'm with you on the hand-drawn animation as well, D23ExpoVisitor25. Nobody said this film was going to be hand-drawn, but there will be elements there of it and a slow growth of hand-drawn animation and animators at WDAS over time beginning with this film. They couldn't go 0 to 100 even if they wanted to, this is an inch or so in a positive direction. Even if that wasn't the case, just having a 3D film that isn't the same design style and more of a risk would be a wonder again. And I don't mean a bad risk stylistically like with Strange World (that film was similar to the ugly design of Atlantis, imo), but something different stylistically in a positive way like Pocahontas, Hercules, and Mulan.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:13 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:52 am I don't think so. Not after the people behind Frozen, who are working on Wish, proved Iger they were right that keeping Olaf in the movie was a good idea. And considering they gave Iger two $1.235 billion dollar hits, they'll probably trust them with what they do on Wish.
I agree with you. Besides, Wish looks utterly gorgeous and wonderful from what little we've seen of it whereas King of the Elves and Gigantic both looked (and sounded) awful. The only thing I was looking forward to about either one of them was the Lopezes being a part of the latter, everything else... Nah. Wish's plot is similar to princess films from the past 5 or so years, true, but nobody has a problem with Elemental being at least the 25th+ film in the buddy roadtrip style from PIXAR (not including 10 or so more WDAS films made similar to that style since PIXAR leaked over there). 5 or so movies (Frozen, Moana, Raya, Encanto, Wish) with a similar structure from WDAS is quite quaint in comparison. Literally the only thing that gives me pause about Wish is the music. "More of Us" was very middling.... I wish they'd picked someone from Broadway rather than a radio artist like Julia Michaels. That said, I mean, there were Elton John and Phil Collins in the '90s, so she could prove us wrong. And either way about it Ariana DeBose is amazing and would lift even poor material (if it comes to that) much the way Anika Noni Rose and Keith David did for TP&TF. I'd be more worried if this was another Mandy Moore or Stephanie Beatriz situation, neither of them have very good voices...

And I'm with you on the hand-drawn animation as well, D23ExpoVisitor25. Nobody said this film was going to be hand-drawn, but there will be elements there of it and a slow growth of hand-drawn animation and animators at WDAS over time beginning with this film. They couldn't go 0 to 100 even if they wanted to, this is an inch or so in a positive direction. Even if that wasn't the case, just having a 3D film that isn't the same design style and more of a risk would be a wonder again. And I don't mean a bad risk stylistically like with Strange World (that film was similar to the ugly design of Atlantis, imo), but something different stylistically in a positive way like Pocahontas, Hercules, and Mulan.
Well said, Disney's Divinity. Well said. Let's hope Tiana will be that WDAS story that marks Disney's return to hand-drawn animation.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:26 pm I recommend watching Into the Unknown, it gives you an insight on how things work at Disney nowadays (or at least 2019) and it's way way better than Frozen II, you will actually understand why the movie turned out to be such a mess. Remember the first teaser they released on February 2019 in order to deflect attention from the bad CGI of the Genie in the Aladdin remake? Apparently they still had no idea what the movie is going to be about, so the teaser is basically just "epic shots" they cobbled together, none of which (except Elsa and the dark sea) were in the movie itself.
So yeah, watch it and please let me know your thoughts afterward.
Yes, I'm sure it'll be interesting. I will share my thoughts on it with you when I finally watch it.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Investor Sues Over Company’s Response to Controversial ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill
https://wdwnt.com/?p=830234
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:39 am Disney Investor Sues Over Company’s Response to Controversial ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill
https://wdwnt.com/?p=830234
His lawsuit won't go his way. He's wasting his time.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DeSantis moves to put lawmakers in control of Disney's special district
https://wesh.com/article/florida-lawmak ... t/42419312

UPDATE: New Proposal Aims to Create State Board to Run Reedy Creek Improvement District, Disney to Pay Debts
https://wdwnt.com/?p=843445
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:16 pm DeSantis moves to put lawmakers in control of Disney's special district
https://wesh.com/article/florida-lawmak ... t/42419312

UPDATE: New Proposal Aims to Create State Board to Run Reedy Creek Improvement District, Disney to Pay Debts
https://wdwnt.com/?p=843445
Still not gonna get his way.