Call Me by Your Name

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Call Me by Your Name

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This thread can be used for discussion of the original film, too, but mostly I was excited and wanted to post somewhere that I read the writer is creating a sequel (which both Hammer and Chalamet then showed their interest in on Twitter). I don't think it's new, but I'd only just saw it for myself. I really hope it all comes together and a film sequel with Chalamet and Hammer happens some time over the next 5-10 years. That ending really breaks your heart, that Hammer's character was cowardly and gave into what his family / the world want more than what he wants. While realistic, I'd like a happy ending for once, and the sequel brings them back together.

The soundtrack for the original film is fantastic, too, btw. Hopefully they could get the same people back for a potential sequel.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Call Me by Your Name

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’ve had the book sitting on my shelf since before I knew they were making the movie— it used to be, probably still is, the book all gay men would recommend for gay lit— but I am a lazy reader post high school, I probably average 2-3 books a year. I need to get better reading habits.

Um... anyway! I loved the movie. I’d had a crush on Armie Hammer since seeing him in The Social Network 10 years ago, but I really fell for Chalamet in the movie. I know Aciman recently published his sequel to CMBYN but I believe that mostly followed the Chalamet character’s father? Is the new script being written by James Ivory? I was so excited that he won his first Oscar for this movie, and weirdly ashamed because after years of watching Merchant and Ivory movies (even Maurice) and picking up on the homo themes, I never ever considered they were a couple. Even after seeing Maurice! It wasn’t until I saw he wrote the script for CMBYN that I dug into his personal history with Ismail Merchant...

Sufjan Stevens’ “Chicago” was used as the theme song for Ryan Murphy’s “The Politician” series on Netflix and that became a favorite of mine for a time.
Disney's Divinity

Yes, they're both incredibly handsome, but Chalamet really was the discovery here. So, so cute. But it's all in his expressions and mannerisms. He's a really great actor.

This was where I read the news. I had seen it was posted December 2018 at the time, so I knew it was old news. I hope it’s not the book you’re talking about, that’s mostly about Elio’s father…. :(

I had thought about making a “Miscellaneous Film Discussion” thread, because there’s so often I have a random thought about a movie or show that has no thread or I see news for something that doesn’t have a thread. I sometimes wonder if others are the same way or if it’s just me. I decided not to, because I was afraid it would just end up being me quadruple-posting in a row.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Here’s the Amazon page for the sequel. Skimming the reviews it doesn’t look promising: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q6TLW9R/re ... TF8&btkr=1

OTOH, the director of CMBYN seems set on making his own version of a follow-up to the story: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 27207/amp/
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote: OTOH, the director of CMBYN seems set on making his own version of a follow-up to the story: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 27207/amp/
Oh, thank God! I want my love story, darn it. The only thing I disagree with is the whole setting it against the backdrop of the '80s AIDS crisis bit.

The funny thing about finding Chalamet the most attractive is that he's not my type really. I identify with him in the relationship more than Hammer's character, and yet I find him more attractive than Hammer. Strange.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I had thought about making a “Miscellaneous Film Discussion” thread, because there’s so often I have a random thought about a movie or show that has no thread or I see news for something that doesn’t have a thread. I sometimes wonder if others are the same way or if it’s just me. I decided not to, because I was afraid it would just end up being me quadruple-posting in a row.
I have absolutely had random thoughts on films with nowhere to post them, so I think that's a great idea!
Disney's Divinity

I might do that sometime then. It's mostly with older movies that I don't think would get much discussion on their own.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I loved this movie, and it really touched me because I had an older, very handsome guy try to get with me when I was 19, but I am also like Elio's father, because I had a chance to have, well, relations with the older guy, twice actually, but I turned him down, so I never got to do it, like Elio's father. I turned him down because I thought I would go to hell for having gay relations. I don't believe that anymore but, too late.

I hope they do a sequel and that it is good.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

According to my records, I've watched the film six times overall: four times in 2018 and twice in 2019. I wrote this article for my blog three days after first seeing the film, but hadn't thought much about it until some months ago, when I noticed it shot up in hits after someone shared my article on Facebook's official CMBYN community page:

Three Backsides Over Northern Italy

As for the book, I've read it twice: the first time in late 2017 and the second time last summer. Armie Hammer also narrates the audiobook, which I listened to after seeing the film. Haven't read Find Me yet, mainly because I've read mixed reviews about it.

Alby
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney's Divinity

That's a great examination of the film, Escapay. Sometimes I'm not paying attention to films on a higher level that way, so I admit I'd never noticed that before.

I don't have anything profound I could add except that perhaps in some way that choice to never see Elio's face during those moments unconsciously informed my reaction to Elio/Chalamet, in which I saw him mostly as the stronger of the two characters in general and the pursuer. I know any relationship (whether heterosexual or otherwise) is more complex than culturally gendered terms that we're ingrained with can ever boil them down to, where we tend to think of the feminine half of a relationship as the pursued who is an object that is looked upon and the masculine half is the pursuer who does the looking. On those simplistic terms, most would expect Hammer/Oliver to play the role of the dominant one in the relationship because he's the larger of the two, older and more experienced, and even in the one sexual scene that's alluded to he's in the "top" position. Those are the traditional signifiers, and yet I've always found Elio as the one who is more dominant here in spite of all that. He is the one who watches Oliver rather than the other way around, the one who initiates the relationship, who takes the role of the knight from the story about whether it's better to speak or to die. And he is more confident in what he is than Oliver, who in the end gives in to the societal roles/expectations for him. The "roles" between them are more mixed than romantic films normally allow them, even in LGBT films.

That's partly why that whole kerfuffle about Hammer's age in real life that bubbled up wasn't something I gave much thought. Besides the fact that Hammer looks younger than he really is, Elio is the one who pursues here, he's not "seduced by an older man" as some tried to dismiss the film as being a depiction of.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That backside vulnerability observance is pretty cool. You are probably right that Elio is not showing his emotions in this way, trying to hide his vulnerability. But I was rather aghast at the notion he and Greta Garbo are feeling relief. Greta looks solemn and feeling rather crappy in that shot and Elio fetl absolutely destroyed in the film to me when Oliver left him. Hence his breaking down eventually.

I see Oliver as still the masculine and more dominant one of the two. I mean the guy who went after me eventually had me looking at him when he didn't know and went on to not cry just like Oliver seemed to, well, not be the one crying while Elio was.
Disney's Divinity

Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer Will Return for ‘Call Me by Your Name’ Sequel, Says Director
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/call ... 234571443/

Apparently it's currently on hold because of the pandemic. Still, it was nice seeing this headline today.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hopefully it’s as good as the first film! I’d love to return to these characters.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I haven't read either of the books yet but after reading what happens in the sequel, I can just say that I'm super psyched to see it on the big screen. There are lots of time jumps though so I hope they use makeup and CGI to age the characters and don't recast them way into the future. Timothée and Armie embody their characters and I'm not ready to see anyone else take their places yet.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

'Call Me by Your Name' Producer Rodrigo Teixeira Sued for Fraud

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... -for-fraud

I wonder if this could jeopardize plans for the sequel/s?
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I liked this okay but the fact that Elio is underage bothers me a bit. Had he been a girl, people would have screamed and complained. Also, I was annoyed by the parents who seemed cliché with their 'hippy-open-wisecracking-bubbly couple relationship that has been done 1000 times.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

In Italy the age of consent is 14, unless one of the participants has some kind of influence on them, then it's 16.
Disney's Divinity

^ And Elio is 17.

I've actually heard a lot of complaining about the age difference. It doesn't bother me so much because a lot of people date college-aged people.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

My issue is that Armie Hammer doesn’t really read to be in his early 20s like his character is supposed to be. But that’s not a big deal.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

UmbrellaFish wrote:My issue is that Armie Hammer doesn’t really read to be in his early 20s like his character is supposed to be. But that’s not a big deal.
Yeah actually that might be the reason why it bothers me. I haven't read the book (maybe I should?) so I thought that his character was about 29.