Gold Classic Collection

Re: Call Me by Your Name

Post by Redadoodles »

....And now what bothers me is that Armie Hammer is allegedly a cannibal.. :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wish they'd simply re-cast Armie Hammer like other films are doing. I mean, I feel like that role is more easily replaced than Timothee Chalamet would be because Chalamet was the starring role and his character was the one observing Hammer's character the whole film.

But, really, you can get any cute-looking White guy to play the character. It wouldn't be too weird either since the character would have changed somewhat since he was last seen anyway, if he was married (or divorced even) once the two meet again. William Moseley is an actor that comes to mind for me. :P But I looked up "look-a-like" articles (you know they have a lot of filler articles like that in celeb magazines and so on). Lucas Bravo was compared to Armie Hammer once.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Is the only bad thing Armie did was cheat on his wife? Because if it is, I'm sorry but so what? He cheats on Elio in this movie!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Cheating on her by raping and abusing other women.
Disney's Divinity

From what I understood of what I read, he only had a creepy kink? His former girlfriend said he carved something into her skin, but in her account she said she agreed when he asked her if he could. :shrug: If he had intimidated her or something before asking her, she didn't say so, but maybe she's said something different since. I have no idea.

What I meant is if they're thinking of not making this because of Armie Hammer's scandal, just re-cast him.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Here's a long Vanity Fair article from last year that I read about Armie (and his family history):
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... d-betrayal
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you, farerb, Divinity, and blackcauldron. Unfortunately I couldn't read all of that article because of ads, and I can't tell if only one woman felt Armie was too controlling of her life or if more women felt that and also didn't like the kinky sex, or felt too pressured to have the kinky, rapey sex, but...it sounds like there is the possibility Armie didn't do anything wrong. It sounds like all the women gave consent, and that there is just some uncertainty whether they felt too pressured to give it, along with being creeped out by him. I have to admit I have a bias. I like the guy and also don't want him replaced in the sequel to this movie I really liked. I just wish I really knew if he was bad or not. If no one knows for sure, I would keep the guy in the sequel.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I don't know how far you were able to read, but here are some portions.
“Because he would say things to me...weird stuff...like, ‘I want to eat your ribs,’”
“Consent is really complicated—even if it’s consenting to something in vanilla sex that you don’t really want to do, and say yes to...it can be really traumatizing.”
The allegations raise a raft of complicated questions about consent, BDSM boundaries, and the intersection of abuse claims and social media. The lawyer Gloria Allred, ...acknowledged that consent is especially complex in the BDSM community, where control and power are kinks.

“The public has not been educated on how to view those who engage in BDSM practices. In addition, those who have heard of the BDSM community may have a negative opinion of those who engage in such practices,” ... even if adults “consent to some BDSM practices, they still have a right to withhold consent to other practices.”

"Part of the problem is that the victim is extremely vulnerable and trusting,” ... “and is often taken advantage of by sexual predators who know that many of their victims will be afraid to report the crimes against them for fear of being blamed and shamed and not believed when they say that they did not consent to crimes against them."
It is also important to note that no one has actually accused Armie of acting on his alleged cannibalistic fantasies—and he has never confirmed the texts are his own—but the impulses he purportedly described in messages to various women are unsettling at best...
(I didn't post the quotes from the texts since this is a PG forum (is it?).)
Victoria Hartmann, author of I Love Dead People: Inside the Minds of Death Fetishists, told GQ that most people into cannibalism role play are not interested in actually harming anyone. Because of the confusion and taboos, Armie’s friend thinks that the actor is being unfairly targeted and embarrassed...When the rib-eating, toe-cutting screenshots first appeared online, the person said, “I was like, this is just Armie making really perverse jokes.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you blackcauldron. It looks like the worst, and only behavior that would or should bar Armie from acting is that he pressured girls into consent when they didn't feel comfortable and really didn't want to do it...? That's still not as bad as raping women or forcing them to do something, so I think I would still cast him because it's hard to tell if he was in the wrong when girls still consented. It's a rather complex matter.
Disney's Divinity

I did read that article, although I admit I skim-skipped the stuff about his family and relatives. To me, this one has always been more in the Aziz Ansari column of stories as far as calling them a predator because they weren't mindreaders, just with the weird kink thrown on top of it. If he had violated consent, that's one thing, but even she, the ex-girlfriend (Lorenze), admitted she said yes--the complete opposite of what her lawyer was arguing. She even described the beginning of their relationship as him saying weird things upfront; that itself sounds like he was trying to weed out anyone who wouldn't be down for what he was looking for, not that he was intentionally snowing her and manipulating her into something later. And her quote about how "consent is complicated, you're willing to do anything when you love someone (paraphrasing here)"... Well, it is shitty to take advantage of the hold you have over someone who loves you to get them to agree to do certain things (threesomes, BDSM, etc.), but... That makes him a jerk and crappy boyfriend material though, not a sexual predator.

That said, my point is if the studio is too cowardly to get over the scandal, that's fine. They could easily re-cast him with another White guy since Chalamet is the star anyway. Don't damn the whole project over one actor.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with almost everything you said. I do agree they should not give up on the project just because they have to re-cast, but I believe they should not give into re-casting unless they have to.

What a great avvy and siggy you have, too!
Disney's Divinity

Thanks. I've used these "Favorite Characters" banners before here. I was thinking of making another CGI character set to go along with the rest now that Raya and Encanto exist, and since I liked both of those films and several characters from each. And I thought about making famous Disney castles into avatars, so I'm not stuck with the Disney logo avatar the whole time. :P

EDIT: :idea: I just had a thought that I might make a series of a banners like these of my favorite Disney outfits.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Very cool avvy and siggy ideas!
Disney's Divinity

I just read that CMbYN's director and Timothee Chalamet are making a cannibal romance film. :lol: :lol:
Disney's Divinity

Timothée Chalamet is going to eat you alive in Bones and All
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/a ... es-and-all

rotfl He looked cute at the Oscars, btw. I like seeing men doing a little something with their outfits these days.
Disney's Divinity

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/11/luca- ... 234783026/
https://deadline.com/2022/11/luca-guada ... 235168130/

The director's comments about still hoping to make a sequel. I had been searching because of Bones and All.

I hope a sequel (or sequels) do happen eventually, with or without Hammer. (I read Hammer's father just passed away the past day or so while searching.) I was thinking yesterday when I saw a preview for Zachary Levi's movie that Levi sort of looks similar to Hammer, he definitely has a gregarious quality that's attractive, too, although he's a little older than Hammer. Anyway, a re-cast wouldn't dint my interest at all. I think Chalamet was always the crucial role because he's a great actor, and he could translate chemistry towards a new actor easily.