Aladdin 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

ChrisLyne wrote:My hope is that now he's a genie they'll let him be more over the top and theatrical like Jonathan Freeman was in the original. He doesn't need to be as grounded/real now.
While I understand the sequel won't be based on The Return of Jafar, I do hope they'll bring him back. Genie Jafar would be more interesting and meaningful than having a random villain. And now that's he's a genie, the character can be more fun and theatrical, as you said.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Re: Aladdin 2

Post by Sotiris »

Isn't it a bit early for Disney to be developing a third one? :embarrassed:

‘Aladdin 3’ Reportedly In Early Development At Disney
https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/05/30 ... nt-disney/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Will the sequel even happen? That's the question.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don’t know if the report is true, but it’s not a ludicrous proposition is it? Doesn’t that happen with a lot of Hollywood franchises? Weren’t Pirates 2 & 3 put into back-to-back production after the success of the first entry?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, with the remakes it's different. Disney usually waits until they're finishing up the sequel to start developing the third installment. And for good reason. No remake has become a trilogy yet because the sequel underperforms (102 Dalmatians, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil). Aladdin might break that curse, but I do think it's too soon to be working on a second sequel, especially when they have spin-offs like Prince Anders and Genies in the works at the same time.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I think Aladdin looks a lot more like a traditional movie franchise than the other remakes which earned sequels— it’s an action adventure movie with a male lead. So I could see Disney being more comfortable with going full steam ahead.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Well, with the remakes it's different. Disney usually waits until they're finishing up the sequel to start developing the third installment. And for good reason. No remake has become a trilogy yet because the sequel underperforms (102 Dalmatians, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil). Aladdin might break that curse, but I do think it's too soon to be working on a second sequel, especially when they have spin-offs like Prince Anders and Genies in the works at the same time.
I think the fact that the sequels to the remakes underperform at the box office shows that people don't really like them that much. They go to see them because they liked the originals, but then don't care enough about them to see the next installments.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Well, with the remakes it's different. Disney usually waits until they're finishing up the sequel to start developing the third installment. And for good reason. No remake has become a trilogy yet because the sequel underperforms (102 Dalmatians, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil). Aladdin might break that curse, but I do think it's too soon to be working on a second sequel, especially when they have spin-offs like Prince Anders and Genies in the works at the same time.
I think the fact that the sequels to the remakes underperform at the box office shows that people don't really like them that much. They go to see them because they liked the originals, but then don't care enough about them to see the next installments.
I think that's a really valid point. In Aladdin's case, maybe the fact that the animated film had two sequels which are both fairly popular (or the third one is anyway, but both sequels, especially the second, are amongst the best selling VHS tapes of all time) is enough for Disney to greenlight them.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote: I think the fact that the sequels to the remakes underperform at the box office shows that people don't really like them that much. They go to see them because they liked the originals, but then don't care enough about them to see the next installments.
I think that's part of it. I'm keeping an open mind to how Aladdin's sequel will perform though because Aladdin 2019 was much better than Maleficent and Alice in Wonderland. I think part of the reason those two films' sequels bombed so badly is that a lot of the audience felt tricked into seeing poor films with the first release (a few good actors / performances notwithstanding) and weren't going to fall for it twice with the sequels.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:In Aladdin's case, maybe the fact that the animated film had two sequels which are both fairly popular (or the third one is anyway, but both sequels, especially the second, are amongst the best selling VHS tapes of all time) is enough for Disney to greenlight them.
That's a good point too.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm keeping an open mind to how Aladdin's sequel will perform though because Aladdin 2019 was much better than Maleficent and Alice in Wonderland. I think part of the reason those two films' sequels bombed so badly is that a lot of the audience felt tricked into seeing poor films with the first release (a few good actors / performances notwithstanding) and weren't going to fall for it twice with the sequels.
Yeah, those two films don't have very high audience scores at Rotten Tomatoes, for instance, and Aladdin does, so maybe you're right and its sequel will be more successful than the others.
Disney's Divinity

Fingers crossed! I'd love for this to be an extended franchise like PotC (I had wished the same for Mulan back when it was first greenlighted, but not anymore). If nothing else, it would be fun to see Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott some more. :D I wonder how they'll keep Will Smith / Genie involved now he has no magic powers? I know in the DTV sequels and TV series, he still had basic magic, but Will Smith's version seemed completely power-less at the end of the remake or am I forgetting something?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Fingers crossed! I'd love for this to be an extended franchise like PotC (I had wished the same for Mulan back when it was first greenlighted, but not anymore). If nothing else, it would be fun to see Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott some more. :D I wonder how they'll keep Will Smith / Genie involved now he has no magic powers? I know in the DTV sequels and TV series, he still had basic magic, but Will Smith's version seemed completely power-less at the end of the remake or am I forgetting something?
I would love to see Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott more too and I hope the sequel/s have new songs by Alan Menken. Regarding Genie, I don't remember if it's mentioned or not that he has lost his powers at the end of the movie. If it isn't, I think the fact that he isn't shown using his powers after being freed, doesn't necessarily mean he has completely lost them. And even if he had, they can always invent some excuse to give him powers again, just like they gave Rapunzel her long blonde hair again for the TV series.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: I would love to see Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott more too and I hope the sequel/s have new songs by Alan Menken. Regarding Genie, I don't remember if it's mentioned or not that he has lost his powers at the end of the movie. If it isn't, I think the fact that he isn't shown using his powers after being freed, doesn't necessarily mean he has completely lost them. And even if he had, they can always invent some excuse to give him powers again, just like they gave Rapunzel her long blonde hair again for the TV series.
I think he looses his powers completely because he's not blue anymore and I think he makes a comment about being human now. It's not like the Disney film where he was just freed but remained a genie/jinn. They can just fabricate a reason as to why he has his powers again like they did with Rapunzel as you said.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I think he looses his powers completely because he's not blue anymore and I think he makes a comment about being human now. It's not like the Disney film where he was just freed but remained a genie/jinn. They can just fabricate a reason as to why he has his powers again like they did with Rapunzel as you said.
It's true that he's not blue anymore at the end; I hadn't thought of that. I guess you're right that he's just meant to be a normal human being after being freed, unlike in the animated film. But yes, if they want him to have magic in the sequel, they'll come up with some excuse to give him his powers back.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Guy Ritchie is returning to direct the sequel.
After a competitive search, Massoud landed the coveted role in the 2019 live-action feature, which grossed over 1 billion dollars worldwide. Massoud also is set to star in the sequel, which will be directed by Guy Ritchie.
Source: https://deadline.com/2020/11/aladdin-me ... 234617789/
Disney's Divinity

I'm sorta glad, but also a little disappointed. If he's back, I guess that nixes any possibility of the sequel being a musical like the first one. He already wanted to do away with the musical numbers in the first film. It's a shame, I was hoping they might actually create four or five new songs for this. They may not have been fantastic, but I might've liked a few if "Speechless" is anything to go by and Menken would've got to do more work (and more work specifically involving Naomi Scott).

If this does well and the series becomes a trilogy over time, won't it be really odd that the first movie has music and the sequels don't?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:If this does well and the series becomes a trilogy over time, won't it be really odd that the first movie has music and the sequels don't?
I fully agree. It'd be so weird if the sequel(s) don't have any songs when the first one does. Hopefully, Disney will force him to include songs like they did with the original. It's unlikely, but you never know.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Aladdin 2 Update Shared By Star Mena Massoud
https://screenrant.com/aladdin-2-update ... a-massoud/
They're working on it. They're trying to make it happen. That's really all I know. As you know, usually actors are the last piece of the puzzle, so the studio has got a lot to worry about before they start thinking about the actors. Obviously, I would hope that all of us come back and Naomi, Will and I all come back and the rest of the cast, Marwan, Navid, Nasim, everybody. But right now, as far as I know, they're just working on the script and trying to make it happen.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Mena was cute but no replacement for the original Aladdin who was a lot more hunky.
Disney's Divinity

I didn't think about it until just now, but I should've been worried that Will Smith being a dipstick at the Oscars might've affected this movie. Thus far though, looks like not much has happened out of the controversy... I still don't like him, but I doubt he's going to be radioactive enough that Disney would drop him. Still, kind of annoying when they won't allow Johnny Depp to return for POTC6 as planned when accusations against him turned out not to be what was claimed. Meanwhile, we saw Will Smith assault someone on camera and probably not even a bubble. I'm not saying Will Smith should lose his job here or anything so much as Depp should have got his back by now.