Aladdin 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Aladdin 2

Post by Sotiris »

According to one of the film's producers, the future of Aladdin is already starting to snap into focus. When SYFY WIRE asked Dan Lin about making a sequel, possibly a remake of original direct-to-video follow-up Aladdin: The Return of Jafar, he was optimistic.

"We’d love to," the producer says. "People clearly loved the movie and watched it multiple times and we get lots of fan letters and people asking us to make Return [of] Jafar, and I can just tell you that we’re in early stages right now, but we’re certainly talking about another movie. Like with Aladdin, it will not be a straight remake of any movie that’s been made before, so we’re looking at ‘where’s the best way to go with these characters.’"

And it's all being buoyed by the warm reception the live-action remake has received from moviegoers. "The audience response has really touched us in thinking about where we can go with these stories," he adds, "and we feel like these characters have more adventures in store."

Lin says that getting Ritchie on board for the sequel was a top order of business. "Yeah, I think that’s certainly the hope," Lin explains. "He made this movie for his kids. They loved Aladdin, both the original animated movie and the Broadway musical, and they wanted him to make a movie that they could see. So he certainly loved the experience, I think both he and Will Smith — even before the box office success, they said it was the best filmmaking experience of their lives and they had so much fun doing it. And we’d love to have Guy back and get the team back together. If we do another Aladdin movie, we’d certainly love to have him at the helm."
Source: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/aladdin-s ... ges-disney
Speaking to producer Dan Lin, we asked if the folks over at Disney were having conversations about an Aladdin sequel, and where the franchise could go next.

"We have now," says Lin. "We certainly when we first made the movie wanted to just make the best movie we could and let audiences tell us if they wanted to see more. And I would say resoundingly audiences want to see more. They've watched this movie multiple times. We have lots of fan letters about people who really go back and they bring their friends and bring their family. And so we feel like there's more story to tell. We are going to treat it the same way we treat the original Aladdin movie and not going to do a shot by shot remake of anything that's been done before. We're really looking at what's been done before in the past and the home video, and there's just more story to tell with the underlying materials. So without giving away too much, we are certainly exploring where we can go with this franchise."
Source: https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/08/12 ... n-dan-lin/
Well, we asked producer Dan Lin which of the two sequels he'd rather explore going forward, and while he didn't chase that rabbit down the hole, he did say that the next Aladdin would be an original story, while still pulling a bit from the various pieces of source material available.

"If I told you the fans would go crazy," Lin joked. "It's just too early for me to reveal. But just know that we're looking at a lot of different source material and it's not going to be based on one singular source, but we're going to take the best of everything that's been done before and create something fresh and new."
Source: https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/08/13 ... nal-story/
Q: Because this film has made over $1 billion now, I have to ask: There are two home video sequels to Aladdin, is there a chance that we could see a live-action version of "The Return of Jafar" or "Aladdin and the King of Thieves"? They're two very underrated Disney sequels.

Dan Lin: I can't talk too much about the sequel just yet, but know that we are hearing fans' desire to see another "Aladdin" movie and feel like there's more stories to tell. I can tell you that, just like with the first "Aladdin" movie, we're not going to make a straight remake. We're looking at what's the right story to tell.

Q: Well, there are some things that you left out of the first movie that maybe could be saved for a sequel such as Jafar turning into a giant snake. I don't know if that was something that was ever discussed to be put in the remake.

Dan Lin: Yeah. I can't say too much. I want to leave a surprise for what we want to do next.
Source: https://www.insider.com/why-live-action ... vie-2019-8
During our interview with Lin for Aladdin's home video release (the live-action remake and Aladdin Signature Collection hit Blu-ray on September 10), the producer confirmed Aladdin 2 is being considered, but - should it come to pass - won't be directly based on either of the animated Aladdin sequels. He went on to explain how the film could draw inspiration from them, instead:

"It’s still early days. We never designed the movie to tell the Return of Jafar story, frankly. We were focused on telling the best movie possible. Now, we’re studying Jafar and the Thieves movie that came out, as well. We’re looking at that, but it’s still early days. We’re talking about different storylines. What we’re talking about is not going to be a direct remake of any sequel that’s come out, the same way that our movie was not a direct remake of the first movie. We studied the original movie and saw what worked and what things we wanted to update, and if we’re lucky enough to make another movie, we will do that as well. But it’s not going to be a remake of any specific DVD sequel. It’ll be a new story."
Source: https://screenrant.com/aladdin-2-live-a ... d-sequels/
Q: So can we expect the sequel to follow the same plot as The Return of Jafar?

Dan Lin: We are talking about where the story can go but, without revealing too much, we're looking at doing it the same way as the first movie where we aren’t doing a straight remake. We're exploring lots of different ways that we can go but certainly, fans are saying, “we want to see more of these characters,” but they want to see the next adventure. And we're talking now about where that could go but I don't think it's going to be a straight remake of Return of Jafar.

Q: Will you be involved in this as you have a lot of franchises on your plate?

Dan Lin: I have a handful that I'm focusing on of which one of them is Aladdin franchise and it is very much a priority for me right now in my company.
Source: https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/aladdin-pro ... 43342.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin 2

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'd like to see Jafar being transformed into a snake in a future film. That would make me more satisfied with the lack of any real transformation in the finale. I just hope they really overhaul his character and write him better.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

My hope is that with Jafar now being a Genie they'll able to let him be more theatrical and over the top.

Whatever they do, a straight remake of Return of Jafar was never on the cards. Genie is human now, Aladdin and Jasmine are married and Jasmine is Sultan, and Iago, who drove a lot of the original, is very unlikely to play a major part if he's treated like he was in the last movie (plus they don't need to make him one of the good guys to keep him around for a series this time). So I imagine it will very much be the broad concept but almost a completely new story.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I do hope they get Guy Ritchie back. Dan Lin sounds more confident than I would've been. Ritchie always came across as disinterested in the project in past quotes from and regarding him. And, yes, Cobra Jafar can still happen!

Of course, there was never going to be a straight re-make of The Return of Jafar. Egads! The DTVs are trash, of course not! But they can take the overall ideas of Jafar's lamp being brought out of the Cave of Wonders by someone and then the lamp having to be destroyed in order to kill him. I like Iago's arc in the sequels / TV series, but he was such a non-entity in the re-make that I'm not sure I'd want it to be carried over to the live-action films.

Because TRoJ was always considered a part of the TV series, I hope that means they might glance over the TV series for ideas, too. I would love love love for Mozenrath to be used. Maybe he could be the one who retrieves Jafar's lamp instead of some random shmoe like Abis Mal.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, it's not surprising that there are theories about The Return of Jafar, since it was the actual continuation. Yet due it's cheapquel staple, it's still surprising that there's pleas for it :P Perhaps this live action sequel could improve the original cheapquel?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, it's not surprising that there are theories about The Return of Jafar, since it was the actual continuation. Yet due it's cheapquel staple, it's still surprising that there's pleas for it :P Perhaps this live action sequel could improve the original cheapquel?
The Aladdin sequels have always received somewhat better reception by the public, although that's really mostly because of Aladdin and the King of Thieves. The Return of Jafar has never been particularly beloved but I think the general premise of the film is what most people are expecting to see anyway in a sequel.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I know it is an old trope but I really liked Nasira, Jafars sister in the game 'Nasira's Revenge'. I know it will never be used but would be more than happy if she was in the sequel ! :lol: We need a good female live action villain ... been ages since Lady Tremaine. Though will probably get TLM before this comes out, with Ursula.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Atlantica wrote:I know it is an old trope but I really liked Nasira, Jafars sister in the game 'Nasira's Revenge'. I know it will never be used but would be more than happy if she was in the sequel ! :lol: We need a good female live action villain ... been ages since Lady Tremaine. Though will probably get TLM before this comes out, with Ursula.
Actually I was hoping for something like this too. I've never played the game, but I always liked Nasira's character and since the sorcerer character from the original fairy tale had a brother who came back to exact his revenge on Aladdin (while disguised as an elderly woman), I always felt that the evil sibling introduction worked better for Aladdin than in other films like The Little Mermaid's sequel for example.

We really do need more female villains in general and she could bring back Jafar so they could play off each other and make Jafar more threatening as well. There was a lot of Egyptian mythology in the game so I'd love to see that implemented in the backstory of both characters as it would also provide a new setting.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The Aladdin sequels have always received somewhat better reception by the public, although that's really mostly because of Aladdin and the King of Thieves. The Return of Jafar has never been particularly beloved but I think the general premise of the film is what most people are expecting to see anyway in a sequel.
I always thought The Return of Jafar was the most beloved of the two. Why do people prefer Aladdin and the King of Thieves?
JeanGreyForever wrote:I've never played the game, but I always liked Nasira's character and since the sorcerer character from the original fairy tale had a brother who came back to exact his revenge on Aladdin (while disguised as an elderly woman), I always felt that the evil sibling introduction worked better for Aladdin than in other films like The Little Mermaid's sequel for example.
I've never played the game either, but I like your idea. It would be great if they took some elements from the fairy tale, like they're doing for example with the Maleficent sequel.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote: I always thought The Return of Jafar was the most beloved of the two. Why do people prefer Aladdin and the King of Thieves?

I've never played the game either, but I like your idea. It would be great if they took some elements from the fairy tale, like they're doing for example with the Maleficent sequel.
Fans have typically preferred Aladdin and the King of Thieves, calling it one of the best Disney sequels while Return of Jafar is considered one of the worst. I thought this might be a modern development but apparently even when the sequels were first released, Return of Jafar got a lot of negativity despite being a blockbuster release. Aladdin and the King of Thieves seemed universally liked from its inception though.

I'm assuming that the return of Robin Williams is a big part of that. Also, while Iago is generally well-liked as comic support, I think a lot of people weren't a fan of him basically being the main character in Return of Jafar. The storyline was less derivative in KoT as well since it featured new, more threatening villains (compared to Abis Mal), really focused on Aladdin's character development with his bond with his father, who himself was played by a pretty big actor, and the new songs were better liked as well. There's a more epic feel to KoT with the world-building and the exciting new places the characters go to unlike in Return of Jafar, although I've always liked both of them.

I hope the ideas are better executed than anything we've seen in either Maleficent film though lol.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Atlantica wrote:I know it is an old trope but I really liked Nasira, Jafars sister in the game 'Nasira's Revenge'. I know it will never be used but would be more than happy if she was in the sequel ! :lol: We need a good female live action villain ... been ages since Lady Tremaine. Though will probably get TLM before this comes out, with Ursula.
I wish I could've played that game as a child, especially since I did have a PS2. I wonder if the cutscenes might be on YouTube somewhere? I believe Jodi Benson played Narisa, didn't she? EDIT: I mean "Nasira," not Enchanted's villainess. :lol:

I personally hope we don't get a sibling-of-the-villain plot with these live-action franchises though. I've always thought that concept comes off lazy.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Fans have typically preferred Aladdin and the King of Thieves, calling it one of the best Disney sequels while Return of Jafar is considered one of the worst. I thought this might be a modern development but apparently even when the sequels were first released, Return of Jafar got a lot of negativity despite being a blockbuster release. Aladdin and the King of Thieves seemed universally liked from its inception though.

I'm assuming that the return of Robin Williams is a big part of that. Also, while Iago is generally well-liked as comic support, I think a lot of people weren't a fan of him basically being the main character in Return of Jafar. The storyline was less derivative in KoT as well since it featured new, more threatening villains (compared to Abis Mal), really focused on Aladdin's character development with his bond with his father, who himself was played by a pretty big actor, and the new songs were better liked as well. There's a more epic feel to KoT with the world-building and the exciting new places the characters go to unlike in Return of Jafar, although I've always liked both of them.

I hope the ideas are better executed than anything we've seen in either Maleficent film though lol.
Thanks for your thorough explanation, JeanGreyForever! I checked it on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb and you're right, the public prefers Aladdin and the King of Thieves over The Return of Jafar (50% vs. 40% on RT and 6.4 vs. 5.9 on IMDb). However, the critics seem to favor The Return of Jafar, although both have a rotten score on RT (33% vs. 27%).

I agree with the critics on this occasion; I much prefer The Return of Jafar. They're one of the few DTV sequels I had on VHS and I must've watched both movies more or less the same number of times (I don't know why, but I used to watch both sequels in order each time, though not back to back). However, curiously enough, I barely remember King of Thieves, not even its songs (only the basic plot, but not much more); while I remember The Return of Jafar quite well and every song in it. I guess you tend to remember the things you like and forget the ones you don't. I do remember though several jokes by the Genie in the former. He's probably funnier there, and now I understand why; it must be because Robin Williams returned to voice the character. I didn't know that when I was a child, as I've always watched these films in Spanish.

Regarding people's reasons for preferring Aladdin and the King of Thieves, I love Iago in the first sequel, but I understand that they might think he has too much screen time. As for Abis Mal, I don't consider him the main villain, but Jafar. He's more of a sidekick to me. And personally, I didn't like Aladdin's father much, so I guess that's why I wasn't too invested in his relationship with Aladdin. Anyway, I haven't watched both movies in a long time, maybe if I watched them again my opinion would change a bit, though I doubt it would change too much.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote: Thanks for your thorough explanation, JeanGreyForever! I checked it on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb and you're right, the public prefers Aladdin and the King of Thieves over The Return of Jafar (50% vs. 40% on RT and 6.4 vs. 5.9 on IMDb). However, the critics seem to favor The Return of Jafar, although both have a rotten score on RT (33% vs. 27%).

I agree with the critics on this occasion; I much prefer The Return of Jafar. They're one of the few DTV sequels I had on VHS and I must've watched both movies more or less the same number of times (I don't know why, but I used to watch both sequels in order each time, though not back to back). However, curiously enough, I barely remember King of Thieves, not even its songs (only the basic plot, but not much more); while I remember The Return of Jafar quite well and every song in it. I guess you tend to remember the things you like and forget the ones you don't. I do remember though several jokes by the Genie in the former. He's probably funnier there, and now I understand why; it must be because Robin Williams returned to voice the character. I didn't know that when I was a child, as I've always watched these films in Spanish.

Regarding people's reasons for preferring Aladdin and the King of Thieves, I love Iago in the first sequel, but I understand that they might think he has too much screen time. As for Abis Mal, I don't consider him the main villain, but Jafar. He's more of a sidekick to me. And personally, I didn't like Aladdin's father much, so I guess that's why I wasn't too invested in his relationship with Aladdin. Anyway, I haven't watched both movies in a long time, maybe if I watched them again my opinion would change a bit, though I doubt it would change too much.
Thanks for those stats! I didn't realize that critics favored Return of Jafar over King of Thieves (although just barely it seems, 33% and 27% are some pretty pathetic scores lol. I can't even imagine how critics rated the other Disney sequels).

Actually, I like to watch both sequels in order as well. It feels weird to skip from the first Aladdin to King of Thieves considering how Iago has suddenly joined the gang and Genie is back with no fanfare even if the wedding makes more sense to have occurred right after the first film. That's interesting that even in the Spanish dub, the jokes are better in KoT because of Robin Williams.

I like the songs from both films pretty equally, mainly Forget About Love, Out of Thin Air, and There's a Party Here in Agrabah. Jafar is still the best villain of the films and I like that we get to see more of him as a genie in the sequel since he only gets a minute or two of screentime in genie form in the original film. Plotwise, my favorite part of KoT is the wedding at the beginning and the introduction of the scepter and the Oracle. Then I love the climax of the film with the castle on the floating turtle in the middle of the sea and the Hand of Midas. The mythological aspects really appealed to me and I was ecstatic that Aladdin and Jasmine got a wedding (even if they really should have been married by the end of the first film as was originally intended). From Return of Jafar, the scenes I loved most were the winged horsemen chasing after the Sultan, and when Aladdin is being marched to execution and meets Jafar as Jasmine in disguise. The final battle is nice but pales in comparison to the original film's climax, but I do like how Jafar ends up imprisoning all the gang one by one.

I'm okay with Aladdin's father but he was never really what appealed KoT to me so I can see why you feel that way. He certainly hogs up the middle section of the film which I never cared as much for. However, Cassim is super popular in the online fandom (mainly because of his looks and voice) which is also maybe why the film is better regarded these days compared to Return of Jafar.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:That's interesting that even in the Spanish dub, the jokes are better in KoT because of Robin Williams.
Maybe some of the jokes were improvised by him, and that's why they're better. One curious thing about the Spanish dub is that the Genie is voiced by the same actor who voiced him in the original (a famous Spanish comedian) in the first sequel, but not in the second one; the opposite than in the US.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I like the songs from both films pretty equally, mainly Forget About Love, Out of Thin Air, and There's a Party Here in Agrabah.
I've searched for the songs from King of Thieves on Youtube and now that I've listened to them again I remember having heard them before. "Out of Thin Air" is quite beautiful and "There's a Party Here in Agrabah" is rather catchy. I agree that they're the best songs in that film. However, I prefer the songs in The Return of Jafar. My favorite (by far) is "Forget About Love" as well, but I also like "I'm Looking Out for Me" and "Nothing in the World (Quite Like a Friend)" (the songs by Iago and the Genie, respectively).

I've remembered there was one more thing I didn't like about King of Thieves and it's that it mixed the tale of Aladdin with the tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. I know both are from One Thousand and One Nights, but back then I thought they should've saved that second story in case they wanted to adapt it as its own movie in the future. Now I don't really mind that, because I don't think that tale has many chances of being adapted anyway.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

To this day I very much like The Return of Jafar..now if only Robin Williams had just returned and the animation was on par with Aladdin... they butchered something that truly had potential and was the first sequel actually worth telling. The appeal is there though and I find myself revisiting this more often than it deserves.
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

One of the things I like about Return of Jafar is that unlike the rest of the DTV, it actually continues the story and not a midquel or three part tv show or the child doing the same thing their parents did in the original.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

^ Very much so. It also has the benefit of being an early DTV when Disney gave a crap about the story they were putting out. Or it at least seemed that way. Its only true flaws are bad and inconsistent animation (I believe no less than three different animation styles are apparent throughout the movie) and the absence of Robin Williams. Thankfully, Dan Castellaneta put his own spin on the role and didn't try to imitate Robin.

But yeah, I really like both sequels. They have some rather epic and memorable scenes (JeanGreyForever mentioned most of them), KoT also has a really good score, and some things they do with the characters, both heroes and villains, are quite impressive for a couple of DTVs. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but I don't really see such a drastic decrease in the quality of storytelling between the original and the sequels (compared to, say, TLM to TLM2). They are of course completely inferior to the original, but perfectly fine fantasy-adventure movies in their own right.
Disney's Divinity

I give TRoJ a pass for its animation considering it was really a movie made up of the intro episodes of the TV series, wasn't it?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I give TRoJ a pass for its animation considering it was really a movie made up of the intro episodes of the TV series, wasn't it?
Not exactly. It was designed as feature-length pilot to the series that would air a day before the show premiered. Tad Stones was the one who lobbied for it to be released as a sequel on home video.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote: Maybe some of the jokes were improvised by him, and that's why they're better. One curious thing about the Spanish dub is that the Genie is voiced by the same actor who voiced him in the original (a famous Spanish comedian) in the first sequel, but not in the second one; the opposite than in the US.

I've searched for the songs from King of Thieves on Youtube and now that I've listened to them again I remember having heard them before. "Out of Thin Air" is quite beautiful and "There's a Party Here in Agrabah" is rather catchy. I agree that they're the best songs in that film. However, I prefer the songs in The Return of Jafar. My favorite (by far) is "Forget About Love" as well, but I also like "I'm Looking Out for Me" and "Nothing in the World (Quite Like a Friend)" (the songs by Iago and the Genie, respectively).

I've remembered there was one more thing I didn't like about King of Thieves and it's that it mixed the tale of Aladdin with the tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. I know both are from One Thousand and One Nights, but back then I thought they should've saved that second story in case they wanted to adapt it as its own movie in the future. Now I don't really mind that, because I don't think that tale has many chances of being adapted anyway.
That's what I was thinking as well. Interesting that the Spanish actor did not come back for the third film. Do you happen to know why that was the case?

I'm glad you liked hearing the songs from KoT again. To be honest, Iago and Genie's songs from Return of Jafar were never that memorable for me although I should listen to them again anyway. I remember Jafar's song from the end more, mainly because of the visuals rather than the actual song.

Back when Disney was making the Aladdin TV series, all of the Arabian Nights characters were up for grabs to appear except for Sindbad. Apparently, Disney was very strict about Sindbad not appearing in the show because they had future plans to make him into a movie. I guess Ali Baba wasn't considered as lucrative a project for his own film but still well known enough to serve as the plotline for the finale film.
farerb wrote:One of the things I like about Return of Jafar is that unlike the rest of the DTV, it actually continues the story and not a midquel or three part tv show or the child doing the same thing their parents did in the original.
Yeah, it's surprising that Aladdin not only had two sequels but even originated the DTV sequels, yet it still managed to avoid this trope.
REINIER wrote:To this day I very much like The Return of Jafar..now if only Robin Williams had just returned and the animation was on par with Aladdin... they butchered something that truly had potential and was the first sequel actually worth telling. The appeal is there though and I find myself revisiting this more often than it deserves.
Mooky wrote:^ Very much so. It also has the benefit of being an early DTV when Disney gave a crap about the story they were putting out. Or it at least seemed that way. Its only true flaws are bad and inconsistent animation (I believe no less than three different animation styles are apparent throughout the movie) and the absence of Robin Williams. Thankfully, Dan Castellaneta put his own spin on the role and didn't try to imitate Robin.
The animation really is the worst part about both films. There are some shots where Jasmine looks practically like an alien. It comes from being the first DTV sequels ever but the only film with animation as bad was Hunchback II. There are some great artists on Deviantart though who have "remastered" screencaps from the two sequels to resemble the animation of the original film.
ImageImage