Aladdin 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin 2

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Interesting that the Spanish actor did not come back for the third film. Do you happen to know why that was the case?
No, I'm afraid I don't. But in the third film the Genie is voiced by the same actor than in the TV series, so maybe they thought they owed it to that actor to give him the role after having voiced the character during the entire series. But that's just my guess, maybe the original actor just wasn't available. I don't think it's because he didn't have a good relationship with the company or something like that, because he later voiced B.E.N. in Treasure Planet and one of the moose in Brother Bear.
JeanGreyForever wrote:To be honest, Iago and Genie's songs from Return of Jafar were never that memorable for me although I should listen to them again anyway. I remember Jafar's song from the end more, mainly because of the visuals rather than the actual song.
That song is not bad either.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Back when Disney was making the Aladdin TV series, all of the Arabian Nights characters were up for grabs to appear except for Sindbad. Apparently, Disney was very strict about Sindbad not appearing in the show because they had future plans to make him into a movie. I guess Ali Baba wasn't considered as lucrative a project for his own film but still well known enough to serve as the plotline for the finale film.
I didn't know characters from other Arabian Nights tales appeared in the show. I watched the entire series as a child, but just once when it first aired in my country, so I don't remember it too well. Plus, I guess I wouldn't have recognized then that those characters where from the book anyway. I didn't know Disney planned to do a Sinbad movie either. I guess Jeffrey Katzenberg took that idea with him and brought it over to DreamWorks.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: No, I'm afraid I don't. But in the third film the Genie is voiced by the same actor than in the TV series, so maybe they thought they owed it to that actor to give him the role after having voiced the character during the entire series. But that's just my guess, maybe the original actor just wasn't available. I don't think it's because he didn't have a good relationship with the company or something like that, because he later voiced B.E.N. in Treasure Planet and one of the moose in Brother Bear.
That's all right. I can see why they'd give him the role then since he played Genie in the TV show. As for the original actor, I agree that if he returned to play future roles, he probably had a good working relationship with Disney (although even Robin Williams seemed to have an on-again, off-again relationship with Disney).
D82 wrote: I didn't know characters from other Arabian Nights tales appeared in the show. I watched the entire series as a child, but just once when it first aired in my country, so I don't remember it too well. Plus, I guess I wouldn't have recognized then that those characters where from the book anyway. I didn't know Disney planned to do a Sinbad movie either. I guess Jeffrey Katzenberg took that idea with him and brought it over to DreamWorks.
Actually, even though Disney was fine with Arabian Nights characters showing up in the TV series, there wasn't really much influence from those tales. I know the first episode featured rocs, the mythological bird from the Sindbad stories, but beyond that, I can't remember much.

Disney planned a Sinbad movie in the 90s with Musker and Clements directing. You can find more information on it here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23752&start=180
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:As for the original actor, I agree that if he returned to play future roles, he probably had a good working relationship with Disney (although even Robin Williams seemed to have an on-again, off-again relationship with Disney).
Yes, but you're right, the fact that he worked for Disney again doesn't prove he always had a good working relationship with them. It's also possible his case is similar to Robin Williams'.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Actually, even though Disney was fine with Arabian Nights characters showing up in the TV series, there wasn't really much influence from those tales. I know the first episode featured rocs, the mythological bird from the Sindbad stories, but beyond that, I can't remember much.
I see, thanks for the info.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Disney planned a Sinbad movie in the 90s with Musker and Clements directing. You can find more information on it here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23752&start=180
Thanks! I'll check it out. I would've loved to see a version of Sinbad directed by them, but it was probably the right decision not to do it after Aladdin because the two movies could've been too similar.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

'Aladdin' producer Dan Lin says sequel won't be a remake of 'The Return of Jafar' (exclusive)
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/aladdin-pro ... 43342.html
So can we expect the sequel to follow the same plot as The Return of Jafar?

We are talking about where the story can go but, without revealing too much, we're looking at doing it the same way as the first movie where we aren’t doing a straight remake.

We're exploring lots of different ways that we can go but certainly, fans are saying, “we want to see more of these characters,” but they want to see the next adventure. And we're talking now about where that could go but I don't think it's going to be a straight remake of Return of Jafar.

Will you be involved in this as you have a lot of franchises on your plate?

I have a handful that I'm focusing on of which one of them is Aladdin franchise and it is very much a priority for me right now in my company.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I expect a return of Jafar but not The Return of Jafar.

I really did enjoy this movie and I’m glad it appears we’re going back to Agrabah. I’m not sure if it’s the best made movie of the remakes, but it has become my favorite.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Rewatching the film has only made me love it more and it's definitely one of my favorite remakes so far.

I read that Alan Tudyk was hired late in production to play Iago as at the last minute, they decided that they didn't want Iago to be a generic parrot but to actually talk. It might have been too late in that point to give him a really crucial role but I'm curious if they'll make him more prominent in the sequel. Maybe his time in the lamp or with a genie version of Jafar will somehow magically allow him to speak more. Alan Tudyk is quite the comic so I think his take on Iago could be different from Gilbert Gottfried's but just as well-received as Will Smith's Genie was.
ImageImage
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Mena Massoud Says There's a Possibility of an 'Aladdin' Sequel
https://www.etonline.com/mena-massoud-s ... ive-133980

Aladdin 2 Update Shared By Star Mena Massoud
https://screenrant.com/aladdin-2-update ... a-massoud/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

These actors make me laugh. Reminds me of how the Frozen cast acted all uncertain about a Frozen 2, and from what I remember there were members here who actually argued with me for not believing them. :lol: I know Disney forces the actors to say these things, but who does Disney think they’re fooling?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

"But just know that we're looking at a lot of different source material and it's not going to be based on one singular source, but we're going to take the best of everything that's been done before and create something fresh and new."
I like the sound of that, the two sequels were well received with KoT being the preferred sequel. But to combine elements and create something fun and interesting sounds very unique.

I'd say I would hotly anticipate the sequel, as you can tell from my avatar/profile pic Aladdin is my favorite, so the more the better.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Variety is officially reporting that there is a sequel in development, not based on the DTV movies:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/alad ... 203502713/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Hollywood Reporter is offering some additional info on the project to Variety's initial report, including that both director and cast are set to return and that the sequel will be based on other stories from One Thousand and One Nights.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ct-1279150
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's a shame they revealed Desert Moon. They could have used it in the sequel.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's if the sequel is a musical and if Menken, Pasek & Paul are asked to return.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Yeah, I noticed that as well Sotiris. No mention at all of Alan Menken, Pasek and Paul, or it being a musical in any of the reports.

Now, I think it will be a musical and I think Menken, Pasek and Paul will all be back and we're just so early in production they're not ready to announce it yet, but I must admit I'll be a bit nervous until they do confirm it. The thought of a new Aladdin score and songs from Menken makes me so happy, I just hope it all works out.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ChrisLyne wrote:The thought of a new Aladdin score and songs from Menken makes me so happy, I just hope it all works out.
Me too. Fingers crossed!
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by WarriorDreamer »

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/alad ... 203502713/

This is good news!

But my major ask would be that Jafar is changed in some way. I may suggest even replacing him, but that might look odd. Alls I know was he was the most disappointing aspect of the film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:It's a shame they revealed Desert Moon. They could have used it in the sequel.
They still could bring back Desert Moon. Most people wouldn't be familiar with the song or have heard it at all.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:It's a shame they revealed Desert Moon. They could have used it in the sequel.
They still could bring back Desert Moon. Most people wouldn't be familiar with the song or have heard it at all.
Frankly, as much as I love the song, I'd rather get something new.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by ChrisLyne »

WarriorDreamer wrote:my major ask would be that Jafar is changed in some way. I may suggest even replacing him, but that might look odd. Alls I know was he was the most disappointing aspect of the film.
My hope is that now he's a genie they'll let him be more over the top and theatrical like Jonathan Freeman was in the original. He doesn't need to be as grounded/real now.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Jafar's character needs to be drastically overhauled especially because his actor/character was the one element unanimously criticized. I frankly wouldn't even mind if they recast the actor with someone older or with more gravitas explaining that the magic of the lamp has somehow changed him.
ImageImage