Love, Victor

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Love, Victor

Post by Farerb »

I don't think Disney would erase them, I think that was only trolling by that YouTuber.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:I don't think Disney would erase them, I think that was only trolling by that YouTuber.
Yes, but the point of that Tweet which I shared is that apparently Disney has plans on bringing Ben Solo back. That must be bubbling in the background so Jeremy Conrad is explaining that they wouldn't bring Ben back if they planned on retconning the ST. If there's even an iota of weight to this, I would be absolutely thrilled beyond all expectations. I really hope Ben's return is kept for the big screen and not a Disney+ show or worse, an animated TV show, novel, or comic. An anonymous LFL employee on Reddit did say that Ben is too popular of a character to bring back in supplementary material so his return will only ever be in a film on the big screen. Which makes sense because he was pretty much the one universally loved character in the entire ST, and even ST haters tend to gravitate towards him. Same with the incels who hate Rey but like Ben because he is male and the blood heir of the Skywalker line.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'd be glad if Ben came back, but I feel like they'd only do a prequel and not a sequel.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Why do you think that? Not that I mind a prequel but Adam Driver is only getting older, not younger, so playing a teenager would be unlikely. Also Mark said he is done with Star Wars without Carrie, Carrie has passed away, and Harrison will never return either. The reason Disney started with the ST was to bid goodbye to the original Skywalker characters and start anew with the new ones they created. Ben is the best of both worlds because he's a Disney creation but he's also the most linked to the OT characters, even moreso than Rey.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

IDK, just a feeling I guess.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'd love that although they probably couldn't make a film like that without Mark. They've also had no issue bringing characters like Darth Maul, Palpatine, Boba Fett, and Ahsoka back to life so I know bringing Ben back wouldn't be an issue either. Ideally they'd give us both a Ben prequel and a sequel where Rey and Ben are reunited. The LFL Story Group already have their own personal headcanons on what happened to Ben as well as methods on how to bring him back. It should be no surprise to hear that Rian Johnson collaborated with them extensively on The Last Jedi (so they are all pro-Rian) whereas JJ only agreed to do TROS on the condition that he could do whatever he wanted without being beholden to the Story Group. There's a reason they weren't fond of TROS or even JJ for that matter.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

That's good to hear. I'd love a film where they are reunited. My idea for a prequel was more of the beginning of the First Order, after Ben left Luke.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:That's good to hear. I'd love a film where they are reunited. My idea for a prequel was more of the beginning of the First Order, after Ben left Luke.
Oh I see. Yes that could work since that five year time period between when Leia starts the Resistance (in the novel Star Wars: Bloodline) and TFA is virtually untouched.
ImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Well.... the writing is pretty poor. Contrivances drive the plot and the main character is the least interesting member of the cast. I don’t like that Victor’s coming out is used as dramatic fodder for other characters. Casting was out of whack— we’re supposed to believe Victor is a better basketball player than Andrew???

But I think Victor’s family circumstances are relatable enough— and for me, far more relatable than those depicted in Love, Simon or Call Me By Your Name— that viewing is worthwhile for most gay audiences. I mean, after this I’m going to text my friends and talk about the stuff I really liked, who the cutest in the cast was, the parts that made me cry or reminded me of my own experiences.

I hope it gets a second season. I want to see Victor’s family’s reaction to his coming out.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish, what are your thoughts on Simon himself?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’ll preface this by saying I haven’t rewatched Love, Simon since it came out. I was really happy to see it then and I bought the 4K Blu-ray, but my memory might be foggy and perhaps I misremember things.

I think Simon’s journey was better and more sharply written because it was the subject of a 2-hour movie. Going in with the promo materials, I thought Michael Cimino was pretty cute (cuter than Nick Robinson who I don’t find very attractive), but after watching him kiss Mini R-Patzand the way he was jerking Mia around, I started to get annoyed just seeing his face on screen.

On the other hand, one of my issues with Love, Simon is just how accepting his parents are. I mean, I think Simon even says that he knows his parents will accept him before he comes out. And so for me, it is easier to relate to Victor’s circumstances than it was to relate to Simon.

But even though Simon has a relatively charmed family life, I think where the character becomes ultimately more sympathetic than Victor is the magnitude of the ordeal he faces. Simon undergoes the ultimate horror of a premature outing. Victor’s problems, beyond his internal struggles with his family, are usually of his own making whereas Simon’s were not.

As for Simon’s depiction in this series, I thought it was actually pretty interesting— maybe that would have been a waaay more interesting TV show. Following the next step in Simon’s journey as an openly gay young adult. And I think it’s kind of wonderful that Simon’s messages to Victor were really coming from... like a council of gay experience. I genuinely think watching an apartment of LGBT+ 20-somethings try to be the ultimate gay mentor would make a pretty funny and heartfelt TV show. Somebody should make a “The Apartment” out of that “Brief Encounter.”
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Is it because he has one eye smaller than the other or because he's just average looking?, he does have a good smile though. But I saw people compare him to James Franco because of that smile, so that might be off putting.

Those things with Victor just make people not empathize with him, so it's definitely not a smart choice to do this imo, at least Simon was scared so I could understand why he messed with his friends, Victor had no reason whatsoever to manipulate the people around him, who does that?!

What bothers me more is how all the friends and Creekwood are overwhelmingly accepting, people know that Mini R-Patz (thank you, I'm gonna use that from now on) is gay and everyone is fine with it, just like they were with Simon. I guess to me a more realistic depiction would be more the small things, like if you have guy friends and if they were used to hugging each other, suddenly that's not a thing anymore, and probably feeling some sense that you're not part of the guys anymore. Also I feel like it's really odd coincidence that both Simon and Victor fall in love with a guy who'ss also gay. To me it feels more plausible that the guy they fall in love with (not just a crush or an attraction) be straight and then get their heart broken or smashed (I know it makes for a sadder tale, but to me that feels more genuine, maybe in a film where they have time constraint, it's less likely to be depicted and not turn into a mess, but I would have preferred that in the TV show instead of what they did.

That premise you suggested sounds intriguing, however something about that episode rubbed me the wrong way: here are all our gay friends and we're doing "gay things" and even all the guys we play basketball with are all gay, each and everyone is gay. I mean, gay people have straight friends as well, Simon and Bram had straight friends in the movie. Also it was pretty obvious that Nick didn't film at the same day with the rest cause they don't share even one shot together. I guess my idea of an ideal sequel would be seeing Simon's relationship with Bram develop. Like the first time they meet each parents, or their first sexual experience and how they feel about that, which I guess already happened cause Simon sends condoms gif to Victor so casually.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

farerb wrote:Is it because he has one eye smaller than the other or because he's just average looking?, he does have a good smile though. But I saw people compare him to James Franco because of that smile, so that might be off putting.
He just doesn’t do it for me. He’s not an ugly guy, just not my cup of tea I think.
What bothers me more is how all the friends and Creekwood are overwhelmingly accepting, people know that Mini R-Patz (thank you, I'm gonna use that from now on) is gay and everyone is fine with it, just like they were with Simon.
Was that the case? Probably you’re right, I guess the show doesn’t talk about Mini R-Patz place in the school hierarchy much. Felix says that it’s okay he’s gay but he warns Victor so people don’t get the wrong idea, and if the character seems ostracized at all it’s because his socio-economic status is similar to Victor’s (or is it? Maybe he’s just working to pay off the car damage? Idk).

I guess there wasn’t enough there there for me to do anything but fill in the gaps. I used my own high school experience, going back 10-6 years, when there were a few out gay kids but they were definitely othered because they were gay. So I imagined this was a threat that Victor, too, faced and in turn, made some of his actions seem more reasonable— but I guess not.

I’ll say, I had an almost crippling fear, right up to the moment I began coming out in college, that word would get out to my parents, who I was not out to. My town was small and everybody knew everybody, and like Victor I had a sister who was in high school with me— and not one so keen to cause drama as Pilar, either. They could have used this to justify Victor’s fears, too. I mean, I know Victor and Pilar are very in-sync and very loving siblings, but so are my sister and me and that didn’t make me feel any better at the time.
Also I feel like it's really odd coincidence that both Simon and Victor fall in love with a guy who'ss also gay. To me it feels more plausible that the guy they fall in love with (not just a crush or an attraction) be straight and then get their heart broken or smashed (I know it makes for a sadder tale, but to me that feels more genuine, maybe in a film where they have time constraint, it's less likely to be depicted and not turn into a mess, but I would have preferred that in the TV show instead of what they did.
True! Many gay guys live this story, especially in their high school years. It would have been a change of pace to choose this narrative instead of sort of re-hash Simon’s. But to be honest, I don’t have any qualms with the story they told. Maybe because I’ve lived through that one, and I’d rather see Victor and Mini R-Patz have their little fairy tale. I thought their kiss outside the school was so sweet, and I was so angry with the writers for ruining it by having Mia walk in.
I mean, gay people have straight friends as well, Simon and Bram had straight friends in the movie. Also it was pretty obvious that Nick didn't film at the same day with the rest cause they don't share even one shot together.
[/quote]

Haha I thought the same thing, but again, I thought it was just a wonderful fantasy. I wish I had gay mentors growing up! I think if Victor had spent more time with them, he would have been exposed to a fuller picture of gay life, instead of just gay basketball and Katya. And I thought the shots with Nick Robinson alone were so funny! I wonder if it was always intended that way or if they decided to add an on-screen appearance by Robinson last minute? Bram could have easily given Victor Simon’s old jacket in a scrapped scene.

I feel like my ultimate take on Love, Victor is going to be “yes, it’s flawed, but I’m too thirsty for this level of representation in mainstream media to care.”
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It's a legitimate complaint that both Simon and Victor fall in love with guys who luckily happen to be gay as well. That's pretty common in a lot of TV shows though. In Pretty Little Liars, Emily's character was criticized because every half-season or so she had a new lesbian love interest and it was always a gorgeous woman who Emily had her eyes on. People used to complain that it was very unlikely in the town the show was set that she could constantly find new lesbian partners who literally pop up out of nowhere and are always attracted to her back. And even the final season of 13 Reasons Why was criticized for this because there were suddenly so many gay characters which people felt was unrealistic.
ImageImage
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

‘Love, Victor’ Renewed For Season 2 By Hulu
https://deadline.com/2020/08/love-victo ... 203006824/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Saw the news earlier. Very happy for the show! Perhaps airing on Hulu was a good thing in the end— I know Hulu released a press release about how good the numbers were for the show, I wonder if anything will change now that they know they’re producing the show for Hulu, not Disney+? Maybe they will take more risks.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thank you for posting, somehow I missed it. This season looks heavy, in terms of Victor’s relationship with his mother especially. I really enjoyed the first season, so of course I’m looking forward to this.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Just like with the High School Musical series that aired a couple of weeks ago on the Disney Channel to advertise that show's second season, this is airing on Freeform this Friday. :D So I'll still get to see a lot of these streaming exclusive things after all, I'll just have to wait a year behind. :P :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Just like with the High School Musical series that aired a couple of weeks ago on the Disney Channel to advertise that show's second season, this is airing on Freeform this Friday. :D So I'll still get to see a lot of these streaming exclusive things after all, I'll just have to wait a year behind. :P :lol:
I hope you enjoy it! It has its flaws, but I’m glad it was produced and I’m really looking forward to the next season.