Love, Victor

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Love, Victor

Post by Sotiris »

Greg Berlanti’s well-received LGBTQ+ love story ‘Love, Simon’ from Fox was originally based on Becky Albertalli’s novel ‘Simon vs the Homosapien Agenda’. The film was led by Nick Robinson with Keiynan Lonsdale, Katherine Langford, Alexandra Shipp, Josh Duhamel and Jennifer Garner making up the supporting cast of the 2017 film.

Following Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox, the rights for Becky Albertalli’s book have now transitioned over to the Mouse House and they intend to use the property again. According to my sources, Disney is set to develop a ‘Love, Simon’ TV series for the Disney+ streaming service. Elizabeth Berger and Isaac Aptaker, who wrote the screenplay for the 2017 film, are set to executive produce the TV series.

Production is being eyed to begin in August in Los Angeles. It is currently unknown whether the series will act as a sequel to the 2017 movie or will instead be a reboot and will retell the story once again. Disney+’s ‘Love, Simon’ will release in 2020.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2019/04/11/l ... exclusive/
This Is Us executive producers/co-showrunners Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger, who wrote the movie, are writing/executive producing via their overall deal at 20th Century Fox TV. They executive produce with the movie’s producer Marty Bowen of Temple Hill. 20th TV is the studio.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/04/love-simon ... 202594236/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Love, Simon (TV Series)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I really liked the movie. I'd love to see the TV series acting as a proper sequel especially since other books in the series explored the other characters. I don't want a full-fledged reboot and I don't think fans would appreciate that.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

More details have emerged.
Disney+, the forthcoming direct-to-consumer streaming platform, has handed out a straight-to-series order for a series based on author Becky Albertalli's Leah on the Offbeat, her sequel to Love, Simon. The series hails from now Disney-owned 20th Century Fox Television, whose since shuttered sibling film studio, Fox 2000, produced and distributed the 2018 movie.

Screenwriters Elizabeth Berger and Isaac Aptaker will return to serve as showrunners on the Disney+ series, which will feature a new cast. Berlanti — who directed the former Fox 2000 pic that was the first feature with a gay lead — will not return in any capacity on the series. The prolific producer, who has a record number of scripted series currently on the air, is precluded from being involved with the new Love, Simon series due to his exclusive overall deal with Warner Bros. Television.

Love, Simon was the debut book for author Albertalli, who served as a writer on the feature alongside Berger and Aptaker. She followed up the 2015 release with 2018 sequel Leah on the Offbeat, which focused on Leah as she handles subjects including friendships, relationships, body image, sexuality, self-esteem, college and feeling like an outsider. The Love, Simon TV sequel joins a rapidly growing roster of scripted originals for the forthcoming Disney+ streaming service.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ey-1200668
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

That's a shame that it'll feature a new cast and barely anyone else associated with the original film.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm surprised this is reportedly going to Disney+ instead of Hulu or Freeform. Especially since the High Fidelity TV series was deemed too adult and mature to be on Disney+.

The author of the books clarified a few things about the show.
Becky Albertalli wrote:So thrilled to be able to share a few more details about the Disney+ Simon spinoff! First, I’m SO happy to confirm that this show is being spearheaded by Elizabeth Berger and Isaac Aptaker, the writers who so beautifully adapted Love, Simon (you also know them from This Is Us!!). They are so funny, charming, heartfelt, and wise - and so committed to thoughtful, inclusive storytelling. We are are truly in the best hands. Second, I can share that this spinoff is a sequel to Love, Simon, focusing on a new generation of Creekwood High students. Finally, just to reiterate, this spinoff is NOT based on Leah on the Offbeat, despite what is being widely reported across multiple mainstream entertainment outlets. These articles are all repeating misinformation from one early mistaken source. Thank you all so much for your willingness to wait for confirmed information, which I will always share here as soon as I’m able.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwreFBzFTrf/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The lead character of the Disney+ 'Love, Simon' series will be Victor, a 16-17 year old Latino male who is described as a “closeted gay, really cute, athletic, well-liked and warm-hearted high school sports star.”
Source: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 3125206016
Another character for the Disney+ 'Love, Simon' series will be Benji, a 16-17 year old male who will be Victor’s love interest. The character is described as someone who is “a super-cute hipster dreamboat with perfectly messy hair and perfectly ripped jeans.”
Source: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 5026430982
The ‘Love, Simon’ TV series is currently casting its leads before beginning production in August.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2019/05/28/s ... exclusive/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:I'm surprised this is reportedly going to Disney+ instead of Hulu or Freeform. Especially since the High Fidelity TV series was deemed too adult and mature to be on Disney+.
I see it as a good thing that a character being gay doesn't immediately make a show / movie be perceived as "adult" anymore.

I remember during the Harry Potter craze being on the Leaky Cauldron forum and discussing how Rowling had revealed Dumbledore as gay post-book. I remember getting in an argument with somebody who seemed to think there was no way a character could be revealed as gay without shouting "I'm gay!" or showing explicit sex. :lol: The absurdity was so extreme, but I'm sure that person is not the only one out there like that.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Casting news.

‘Love, Simon’: Michael Cimino Leads Cast Of Disney+ Series
https://deadline.com/2019/08/love-simon ... 202669053/

‘Love, Simon’: Ana Ortiz To Star In Disney+ Series
https://deadline.com/2019/06/love-simon ... 202632002/

‘Love, Simon’: Rachel Naomi Hilson Joins Disney+ Series In Recasting
https://deadline.com/2019/08/love-simon ... 202707751/
Sotiris

Re: Love, Victor

Post by Sotiris »

The show is moving to Hulu as I predicted.

‘Love, Simon’ Spinoff Series ‘Love, Victor’ Moves From Disney+ To Hulu
https://deadline.com/2020/02/love-simon ... 202866549/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Good prediction Sotiris, but it's sad that happened.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This is such a hugely disappointing decision. It’s frustrating, because during Pride season at the parks Disney markets a lot of rainbow merchandise and goods— pins, Mickey ears, clothing, cupcakes, etc. but it’s obliquely presented and might go over the heads of certain guests. It’s a rainbow, it doesn’t say “Pride” so it’s “safe.” But all that goes under the radar, it doesn’t catch a national spotlight or generate think pieces— partly because it is implicitly, not explicitly gay.

But Love, Victor isn’t going to be that. And I guess Disney didn’t want to incur homophobic wrath against their fledgling streaming service. But I’ll remember that the next time I think to buy a rainbow Mickey pin. And I guess I have no reason to subscribe to Disney+ anymore— I own everything and I have no interest in new Star Wars or Marvel stuff. Maybe if that Howard Ashman doc ever comes out— but who knows, maybe he’s too gay for Disney+, now?

Minorities make Walt Disney World go round. Gay men are a big part of that, as cast members and guests. It would have been a hugely meaningful move for their fans and workers to have told a gay protagonist’s story on their streaming service.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

That's a shame especially since didn't they do the same thing with that sitcom about two dads?
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is the third LGBT-led series originally produced for Disney+ that Disney either moved to Hulu (High Fidelity, Love, Victor) or outright canceled (Four Dads). I understand your frustration, UmbrellaFish, but that's what corporations do and Disney is no different. They have no loyalty or morals or values. Everything they do is calculated and designed to make profit above everything else. Disney recently started appealing to the gay community with droplets of representation in their films to appear progressive in the press and pride flag-themed merch to capitalize on an emerging niche market, but make no mistake, they will turn on you if you ever stopped serving their financial interests or were impeding on maximizing their earnings in any way.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

At least I might be able to see this if it's on Hulu.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Yes, from what I just read, the series is still happening, but it will be on Hulu instead of Disney+.

This isn't that crazy... but it's inconsistent.

It reminds me of when Nightmare before Xmas was released under Touchstone, cause it wasn't the right tone for Disney. And that might still apply, except there is plenty of non G rated material on Disney+...

But I get Disney's standpoint. I don't like it. But I get it.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Even though it's not gonna be on Disney anymore, I wanted to share the first look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJBvXAU ... e=emb_logo

Looks nice.

I read an article that Disney didn't pull it because of the same sex-kisses, but because of underage drinking. That makes sense.
They knew what they were buying when they were buying a series based on Love, Simon, so it wouldn't make sense to pull it because it has gay content.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I can see why they moved it based solely on this first look, with all the sexual innuendo and the milk looking like...
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Yeah, I get it, too. But maybe they changed the show to be a little more like that when they knew it wasn't going to be on Disney plus anymore?
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:This is such a hugely disappointing decision. It’s frustrating, because during Pride season at the parks Disney markets a lot of rainbow merchandise and goods— pins, Mickey ears, clothing, cupcakes, etc. but it’s obliquely presented and might go over the heads of certain guests. It’s a rainbow, it doesn’t say “Pride” so it’s “safe.” But all that goes under the radar, it doesn’t catch a national spotlight or generate think pieces— partly because it is implicitly, not explicitly gay.

But Love, Victor isn’t going to be that. And I guess Disney didn’t want to incur homophobic wrath against their fledgling streaming service. But I’ll remember that the next time I think to buy a rainbow Mickey pin. And I guess I have no reason to subscribe to Disney+ anymore— I own everything and I have no interest in new Star Wars or Marvel stuff. Maybe if that Howard Ashman doc ever comes out— but who knows, maybe he’s too gay for Disney+, now?

Minorities make Walt Disney World go round. Gay men are a big part of that, as cast members and guests. It would have been a hugely meaningful move for their fans and workers to have told a gay protagonist’s story on their streaming service.
Why is it disappointing and frustrating ? Are you gay !?

Also you really arn't intresed in Live Action Lady and the Tramp or Monsters at work !!???? :o :o :o

I will subsribe for the tv ashow mostly beacuse it's habdy having all of Duck Tales, Soifa the Frist , Old Duck Tales , Tangled ever after and Big Hero 6 ( the show) in one place , and i really really want too se Livew Action Lady and the Tramp !!

Also exited Also excited Live Action Peter Pan , Sword in The Stone, the Lilo and Stitch remake and the Don Quixote movie adaptation,

Secret Society of Second-Born Royals also seems fun !
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, after that preview I'd watch the show. :P