Series that are too long: A couple of questions.

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Series that are too long: A couple of questions.

Post by DC Fan »

I was wondering about series that are too long. Let's say 10 Seasons or over. Supernatural for instance.

1. Are they worth owning? I mean, how often would you go back to watch it?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Series that are too long: A couple of questions.

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It depends on how much you enjoy them. Coincidentally, I bought Supernatural's 13 seasons on Blu-ray last Fall thanks to DeepDiscount having them all cut down in price around Black Friday. I first watched it in re-runs on TV, but I kept on missing pieces of it. It's just easier for me with TV series to be able to watch them at my convenience. Long shows like this and Murder, She Wrote, I tend to put on at night as I'm going to bed. I'll watch maybe 2 episodes a day unless I get into the mood to binge.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

My thoughts are that the there are way too many TV series out there, with more coming of course, so the only way these long series are worth owning is if they're among your favorite. Otherwise you won't be watching them anytime soon. At least not all from the beginning.

And that's another good point you made. Re-runs. In my case I'd avoid watching them because then, is less likely the DVDs/BDs are worth owning.

...it happened to me with The Simpsons. I started buying them on DVD and, for different reasons, stopped around Season 6 or so. I moved to Spain where here they air them all year long, every day, 4 episodes a day; 2 at noon and 2 at night. And once they reach the latest they start over from the beginning. At that point I got sick of it. Sure, nothing made me watch them, but just the thought left me disgusted. Plus, it didn't help that newer episodes are awful.

... I have a friend that's the opposite of me. He watches the same things over and over and over again. For instance, there's a TV series made here that he loved. Owns it on DVD. On TV they do the same as The Simpsons. They air it everyday. Still he would watch it on TV and once I even cought him watching the DVDs when it wasn't own.

Understandably I got disgusted by it. But, then again, I'm also a person that likes watching TV series. So I watch a lot of them and as soon as one ends there's another one I can start.

With him is the opposite. He doesn't watch TV series. I've tried with several and he doesn't like them. So far I only got him to like Game of Thrones and Mom. The first will end soon so there's that. With the second he almost made me sick of it when he wanted to watch the same episodes over and over.

... really, can't stand/understand a person like that.
Disney's Divinity

For anyone interested, the Blu-ray of the 14th season of Supernatural is $9.99. It was around $32 the other day. Now I only have the final season to buy once it is finished. (I got Fantastic Beasts: Crimes For Grindelwald for $6 at the same time.)
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

To me, it's worth getting every season of a show if you love it so much.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't bother with shows anymore. The only ones I'll buy are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and maybe Gilmore Girls but their release is very unlikely at this point.
Disney's Divinity

farerb wrote:I don't bother with shows anymore. The only ones I'll buy are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and maybe Gilmore Girls but their release is very unlikely at this point.
Anime shows especially are a real pain in the behind. Anime in general is so overpriced and many of those shows go on a realllllllllly looooooong time. I mean, I'd love to own Fairy Tail, for example, since I enjoy it and would like to watch it altogether at my own convenience, but that's an impossible dream for me.