Hercules (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Hercules (Live-Action)

Post by Farerb »

estefan wrote: Not really fair to label the film a box-office disaster, when it didn't get a theatrical release in most countries and it was released during the height of the pandemic. If you released a movie in theatres in 2020 after March, it definitely lost money (the only exception I can think of is The Croods: A New Age, interesting enough).
This only applies to Raya and the Last Dragon, not Mulan.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Farerb wrote:
estefan wrote: Not really fair to label the film a box-office disaster, when it didn't get a theatrical release in most countries and it was released during the height of the pandemic. If you released a movie in theatres in 2020 after March, it definitely lost money (the only exception I can think of is The Croods: A New Age, interesting enough).
This only applies to Raya and the Last Dragon, not Mulan.
I don't understand.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

estefan wrote: I don't understand.
You don't understand the desire of some posters to incite arguments rather than express genuine opinions and that's to your credit.

Let's be honest, Mulan was a disaster for many reasons and you probably remember, estefan. Both its critics and especially its audience scores were among the worst for any remake so far, it also performed horribly on Disney+. There is no business sense at all in repeating that film's mistakes. Coincidentally, that film also cut the Black-voiced character (Mushu) enraging many of the original film's fans like could happen here with the Muses--which is ironic considering their desire for diversity. The few Black or Black-voiced characters they had in their original films seem disposable to the people behind the remakes.

They would be better off following the formula of Ritchie's billion success with Aladdin by hewing close to the original and let the original parts be new songs, comedy, action scenes, developing characters a little more than in the original, etc. Come to think of it, too, if you remove the Muses from Hercules, then there's really only one major female character in the whole thing....
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

estefan wrote:I don't understand.
Mulan didn't get a theatrical release in countries that had Disney+ including North America, the rest that didn't, didn't matter (maybe except China) so Disney didn't care about box office numbers for Mulan, only what they made from premier access (which they never revealed), unlike Raya and the Last Dragon who got a simultaneous release at theaters and premier access.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Farerb wrote:Mulan didn't get a theatrical release in countries that had Disney+ including North America, the rest that didn't, didn't matter (maybe except China) so Disney didn't care about box office numbers for Mulan, only what they made from premier access (which they never revealed), unlike Raya and the Last Dragon who got a simultaneous release at theaters and premier access.
That's precisely what I said in my post. I was responding to Divinity's comment that Mulan was a box-office disaster and explained why I don't think it's a fair label to put on a film that barely played at the box-office at a time when every film was affected. So I actually agree with you and that it's difficult to know how Disney assessed the performance of Mulan, since the box-office in the few countries where it played in theatres didn't give a clear picture (aside from China, where they reportedly don't have much nostalgia for the animated film) and they only had streaming numbers to go off of. And even then, $30 to rent the movie on top of a Disney+ subscription was a big ask for potential viewers.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

estefan wrote:That's precisely what I said in my post. I was responding to Divinity's comment that Mulan was a box-office disaster and explained why I don't think it's a fair label to put on a film that barely played at the box-office at a time when every film was affected. So I actually agree with you and that it's difficult to know how Disney assessed the performance of Mulan, since the box-office in the few countries where it played in theatres didn't give a clear picture (aside from China, where they reportedly don't have much nostalgia for the animated film) and they only had streaming numbers to go off of. And even then, $30 to rent the movie on top of a Disney+ subscription was a big ask for potential viewers.
I thought you said that movies in general weren't successful in that time because of the pandemic even if they were released in theaters, which is true, I was just pointing out that Mulan wasn't released in theaters unlike other films during the pandemic, because I do think that box office numbers are somewhat important for films that were released simultaneously, despite them not doing well (understandably).
Anyway, yes I agree with you. However, I will say that Mulan is mostly forgotten by now, but I think that's the case with all of the remakes, so it's not surprising.
Disney's Divinity

estefan wrote:And even then, $30 to rent the movie on top of a Disney+ subscription was a big ask for potential viewers.
I don't think that's the only reason it performed poorly on Disney+; I don't think it did well even after it became free. And it was near the bottom of the heap in audience reviews among all the remakes they've made. A misfire all the way around.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Guy Ritchie to Direct ‘Hercules’ Live-Action Film From Disney and AGBO
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/guy- ... 235297640/
Disney's Divinity

That news was posted on the last page.

Now that I've finally seen Taron Egerton in Rocketman (and on the talkshow circuit), I agree with others who said he's a good suggestion for Hercules considering he has a very sweet personality. That said, I'm not too particular about who they cast for Hercules as long as the music / The Muses (and JHUD) are in this. If they screw that up from the start, it won't matter who they cast because it's guaranteed to be awful from there, just like when the Mulan remake announced they were cutting the songs and Mushu.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, I`ve probably said this before the server crashed, but having Richie helming Hercules is nothing but synergy. Since he remade Aladdin. But considering how I`ve found the remake of Aladdin to be meh when I first saw it, let`s hope that his version of Hercules won`t be bad.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:Guy Ritchie to Direct ‘Hercules’ Live-Action Film From Disney and AGBO
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/guy- ... 235297640/
I think what you wanted to post is this other article that was released when the forum was down, right?

Live-action Hercules remake will pay homage to the original but "with a more modern spin"
https://www.gamesradar.com/hercules-liv ... dern-spin/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I honestly don't remember what was posted or not anymore, but I do remember that article and wanted to post it back then, so thank you for posting it :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

That's totally understandable after all this time of the forum being down. I have the same problem.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Live-action Hercules remake will pay homage to the original but "with a more modern spin"
https://www.gamesradar.com/hercules-liv ... dern-spin/
Translation: They'll turn it into a bland superhero movie with no songs and butchered characterizations. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The fact that news has come out about this remake but Alan Menken hasn't mentioned it at all suggests that there won't be any songs in it.
Disney's Divinity

Not really. They've put other composers on every remake that would have involved him since B&tB. Miranda on TLM, Pasek & Paul on Aladdin. For one, I don't think his lack of mention yet is a sign, but there's always the possibility he won't even be involved like what happened with Elton John on TLK (which had Beyonce). If this film includes JHUD and Lizzo, it may be a similar thing with them having more involvement, writing an original song, etc. the way Beyonce did on TLK. While that isn't ideal to me, the disrespect towards Menken isn't new. He would still get paid and I'd just be happy the soundtrack is there at all.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Actually, Elton John and Tim Rice were involved with The Lion King remake from pretty early on, writing two new songs, Never Too Late and Light of the World. Disney just screwed them over in the middle of production to accommodate Beyonce's Oscar aspirations. Initially, both songs were to be featured in the movie itself, only later to relegate one to the end credits and cut the other entirely.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Danny DeVito Wants to Appear in Disney’s Live-Action ‘Hercules’ Remake
https://thedisinsider.com/2022/08/24/da ... es-remake/
Disney's Divinity

That would be perfect!
Disney's Divinity

There was a few articles I read that fans were suggesting Bruce Campbell to play Hades and he liked it on Twitter or something? Interesting, since I've seen him on Xena lately. There was one episode in particular that had me in stitches where his character was used to mock televangelists by pretending to be some priest worshiping Calliope (the muse) who wanted to keep dancing banned. It was all ridiculous, but a few moments made it worth it. At one point he (in some Darth Vader-esque mixed with a nun-type headress outfit) asks the local priest (?) if their town has gone far enough by only banning dancing... "What about singing? Painting? Fancy embroidering?! FOR SHAME!!!" :lol: :lol:

He would be okay, I guess? I'm not sure if Disney would pick him though, but I wouldn't mind it. Jeff Goldblum is still the one I most think of, simply because of his performance in Thor 3. I think him for Hades (a well-established, well-known face), Taron Egerton or Michael Jordan as Hercules (the former coming off a hit musical like Rocketman with lots of flashiness and craziness similar to what Guy Ritchie enjoys doing in his films), Devito as Phil, and JHUD (just off her turn in Aretha) and Lizzo (one of the biggest names in music right now) for the mains of the Muses would put, what, 5 stars on the film right away? Perhaps bring Pasek & Paul on to help Menken with a couple of new songs like with Aladdin and Snow White. And then with Guy Ritchie attached, too, I think it would have a decent shot at being successful since he could lift the action sequences. If they decide to cut the Muses and soundtrack though, I think this film will have zero chance of surviving the backlash if Mulan couldn't survive similar backlash over cutting half the cast for horrid replacement characters and sucking out all the music and comedy. If they want to be assholes and slice and dice this movie, this film will be a guaranteed flop regardless of who they cast--and good riddance! The world already has Thor, let Hercules be Hercules.