Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Sotiris »

I’d also heard, and granted, I found this to be fairly dubious at the time, was that the Obi-Wan film was going to be saved for Disney’s upcoming unnamed subscription-based streaming service; the one they hope to compete against Netflix with.
Source: https://theplaylist.net/lucasfilm-obi-w ... -20180622/
Perhaps the most talked about and rumor-fueled wishlist item among Star Wars fans and media has been an Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone project. Well it sounds like that wish may have finally come true, but not how we envisioned it. We were told that an Obi-Wan Kenobi limited TV series is happening, is the next top priority for the Disney+ streaming service, and that it could be as many as six episodes.

The Kenobi project was initially supposed to be a film, as had been reported several times over the last few years, but everything changed after the disappointing box office performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story. We were told that the Kenobi film was actually supposed to start production shortly after Solo premiered, and then everything changed. This certainly puts much more clarity on that famous Bob Iger “rethinking our approach” statement from last year.

I have no doubt that they will give Kenobi the stage and treatment he deserves, as this could potentially be one of the first Star Wars projects since The Force Awakens that all fans can unite around, especially after hearing the “script is GREAT.”

There is no confirmation on whether or not an announcement of the series is imminent, or that it will be announced at Star Wars Celebration, though if it is in good standing that would make sense – and although there are many “TV series” rumors out there right now, we are told this one is happening and will go into production.
Source: https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019/02 ... rvice.html
When discussing with our sources, we were told their report was accurate regarding a ‘Obi Wan’ series likely being in early development for Disney+. It is currently unknown who will make up the writing staff, as well as who will be the showrunner. However we do know, like with all current Star Wars projects that Kathleen Kennedy will executive produce. The series is expected to be limited and only be between 6-8 episodes rather than have multiple seasons. Filming is planned to take place in Pinewood Studios, UK similar to where the film was eyed to base production.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2019/03/25/o ... or-disney/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Mooky »

Meh. I hoped it would be a movie. I believe shorter, compact running time would have been to the story's (and the movie's) benefit.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Didn't want this as a movie, don't want it as a TV series. I really disagree that all fans can agree on this because a lot of people have expressed the concern that there's really no story for Kenobi living in the desert for all those years.

At least that's one good thing that came out of Solo flopping.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Rumors of an Obi-Wan Kenobi related project have been circulating since Disney bought Lucasfilm back in 2013. While it seemed to have started life as a standalone film, recent reports are that we’ll see Obi-Wan come back as a Disney+ series…Which is what I’ve heard as well. So what’s new? According to two separate sources, I’ve heard that Ewan McGregor has actually put pen to paper and inked a contract to return as the iconic Jedi Master. I heard word of this recently, but I was sitting on it until, out of the blue, a second source reached out to me (I hadn’t gone digging on this one) saying the exact same thing.
Source: http://www.cinelinx.com/movie-news/movi ... bi-return/
Ewan McGregor may be picking up his lightsaber again. The 48-year-old Scottish actor is in talks about reprising his role as the heartfelt but headstrong Jedi master known as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a yet-to-be-titled Disney+ series, Deadline has confirmed.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/08/ewan-mcgre ... 202669319/
Following on from our post back in May 2018 of a standalone Obi-Wan Kenobi film and reports elsewhere earlier today, we understand that not only has Ewan McGregor signed up to star in a Kenobi TV series for Lucasfilm and Disney to be streamed on Disney Plus, he will also direct a number of episodes.

McGregor is a bona fide movie star, and with that comes a movie stars wages. To offer him what he requires as an onscreen actor is expensive, but the opportunity to further his movie career behind the camera in a directorial role proved – so we are told – to be the key to persuade him to finally sign on the dotted line.

Our sources tell us that the story will be spread across 8 episodes with McGregor directing a number of those. Further to that, he will be performing alongside a familiar mechanical co-star, and when we heard who it was, our hearts skipped a beat.
Source: https://www.fanthatracks.com/news/film- ... tv-series/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I've been on the fence* about if I'll sign up for Disney+, but they can just take my $ if there's an Obi-Wan show (or movie, for that matter)! I am hopeful that The Mandalorian will be good, but that part of the lore doesn't interest me as much as the Jedi does...

(The Monsters, Inc show, Muppets, documentaries, + older shows/shorts will probably make me fork over $, too...)
blackcauldron85

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I don't really get the hype for this show considering there's really no plotline for Obi-Wan after ROTS.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

^ For me, and I bet a lot of people, it's about spending more time with the Jedi. Whether an Obi-Wan or Yoda show, I'm interested...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm interested in seeing more Jedi too but I can't imagine Obi-Wan will be up to much Jedi antics in this show. Yoda for that matter as well wouldn't likely have a very interesting show if it was set during his exile on Dagobah.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

I'm thinking it's more Obi-Wan, less Ben??
blackcauldron85

How 'Obi-Wan' Series Could Unite the 'Star Wars' Trilogies
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... es-1234440
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thanks for posting that article! I'm not sure how Obi-Wan's series can connect to the sequel trilogy though. The article mentions that it can explain how Maz ends up with Luke's lightsaber but I don't see how that would be relevant at all in this time period (although I'm sure we'll get an answer to that after TROS is released since fans have been dying to figure this out.)
blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm thinking it's more Obi-Wan, less Ben??
That's likely, especially since Ewan McGregor doesn't look anywhere near as old as Ben would.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The series will take place 8 years after Revenge of the Sith.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-galax ... tle-bigger
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Obi-Wan Kenobi TV Series Finds Director
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ow-1243984
blackcauldron85

https://www.mensjournal.com/features/ew ... ver-story/
(via Fandom)
The storyline sits between Episode III and Episode IV,”...he did let it slip that the series will be six hour-long episodes.
blackcauldron85

We knew this, but it's confirmation:

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/ ... -solo-film
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I think this will work better as a series than as a film.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

JeanGreyForever wrote:I think this will work better as a series than as a film.
How come?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I can't imagine there's much of a story for Obi-Wan being essentially stranded on Tatooine for almost two decades and having to conceal his identity as a Jedi. This seems like a more introspective story dealing with the fallout of the extinction of the Jedi and the trauma that Obi-Wan must have to deal with, like losing Anakin to the dark side. All of that would be a better fit for television where it can be explored and properly developed in a serial format over the course of several episodes rather than crammed into one two-hour blockbuster film that requires action and spectacle to dominate the quiet moments and pathos.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

^ That makes sense; thank you! :)