West Side Story (2021)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

West Side Story (2021)

Post by Sotiris »

Fox Revives ‘West Side Story’ For Steven Spielberg
https://deadline.com/2014/03/fox-revive ... re-693716/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: West Side Story (Remake)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I read about this the other day the same time I heard about the new version of Emma. I doubt the new Emma will top the Romola Garai version for me (especially Johnny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley!), but as long as it's better than the Gwyneth Paltrow film, I'll be happy.

Funnily enough, I had just bought the original West Side Story for my mother a month ago. The original is a great film, but I've never watched it since that first time. I love the music... I just get bored by films where the dancing goes on and on and on. I doubt this will touch the original classic, but I definitely see it being successful if they don't screw it up.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Updates

Eiza González Circling Rita Moreno Role in Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story” Remake
https://www.showbiz411.com/2018/11/06/e ... ory-remake

Broadway’s Justin Peck To Choreograph Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’
https://deadline.com/2018/09/justin-pec ... 202473121/

‘West Side Story’: Ansel Elgort To Star As Tony In Steven Spielberg’s Adaptation
https://deadline.com/2018/10/west-side- ... 202474463/

Rita Moreno Returns To ‘West Side Story’: EGOT Winner To Play The Role Of Valentina In Steven Spielberg’s Remake
https://deadline.com/2018/11/rita-moren ... 202509734/

Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’ Finds Its Maria, Anita, Bernardo & Chino
https://deadline.com/2019/01/steven-spi ... 202535002/

Corey Stoll & Brian d’Arcy James Join Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’
https://deadline.com/2019/03/corey-stol ... 202578409/

Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’ Sets Sharks/Jets Chorus Including Riff & Rosalia
https://deadline.com/2019/04/steven-spi ... 202596540/

Steven Spielberg Met With Puerto Ricans About 'West Side Story' Concerns
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ns-1176285
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A First Look at Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... side-story
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OMG! The film looks so beautiful! Look at those costumes! And it's going to have a new script?! I hope it's good, because it's by the guy who did Angels in America, and, while being touted as a really good play, that play was so boring to me. I'm glad they have authentically Hispanic actors this time.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Will the Corona Pandemic daly this movie too ?!!!!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This film finished filming before the Coronavirus spread, so I don't think it will halt the movie.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It also opens on Christmas, when the pandemic will (hopefully) have long passed. There will be a lot of release shuffling, but I think Disney will stick with West Side Story's current date, because it's exactly the kind of movie that will perform well over the holidays and it also has the potential to score big at the Oscars.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, well that's good if that's the case!
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think this movie will be GREAT !
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Brian d’Arcy James was the orginal star who Shrek the Musical !
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Hopefully by September/October the pandemic will have subsided a little bit for the slate of Fall-Winter 2020 films to open as scheduled. As for this I'm highly excited for this movie because of the cast, crew and the photos look really good, Steven Spielberg said somewhere that this project has been in his head since 2002 so this should be quite special. As much as I think the 1961 version is a classic, I'm open for someone to do another adaption of the wonderful musical.

In The Heights hasn't chosen a new release date yet, but it would be cool if it opened in December as a counterpoint to West Side Story the same way back in 2014 when Annie and Into The Woods competed against each other.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Disney's Divinity

I would think surely the pandemic anxiety will ease by June/July. I believe the only reason everything's so extreme right now is to slow the initial infections from capsizing hospitals' ability to take care of everyone. Once that part's over, things should go back to some semblance of normalcy and hospitals can care for the average number of people who will catch it at that point like with other illnesses. At least that's my understanding? I hope that's the case anyway.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Musical Master wrote:Hopefully by September/October the pandemic will have subsided a little bit for the slate of Fall-Winter 2020 films to open as scheduled. As for this I'm highly excited for this movie because of the cast, crew and the photos look really good, Steven Spielberg said somewhere that this project has been in his head since 2002 so this should be quite special. As much as I think the 1961 version is a classic, I'm open for someone to do another adaption of the wonderful musical.

In The Heights hasn't chosen a new release date yet, but it would be cool if it opened in December as a counterpoint to West Side Story the same way back in 2014 when Annie and Into The Woods competed against each other.
Spielberg has also long wanted to direct a musical. That's why "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" begins with a Broadway-style musical number as he wanted to see if he had the chops to pull one off. "Hook" also came very close to being a musical and the few songs that appear in the movie (the one sung in the Peter Pan play at the start of the movie and the song sung by Peter's daughter on the pirate ship) were remnants of that idea. So I'm really happy and excited that he's now been able to fulfill this career-long dream of his.

As for "In the Heights", I can see Warner Brothers going for a release strategy similar to what they did with "A Star is Born" and "Joker", where it premieres at the autumn festivals (if any of them decide to still move forward and everything has calmed down at that point) and then opens in the beginning of October.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Musical Master wrote:Hopefully by September/October the pandemic will have subsided a little bit for the slate of Fall-Winter 2020 films to open as scheduled. As for this I'm highly excited for this movie because of the cast, crew and the photos look really good, Steven Spielberg said somewhere that this project has been in his head since 2002 so this should be quite special. As much as I think the 1961 version is a classic, I'm open for someone to do another adaption of the wonderful musical.

But isn't In The Height amid at the EXAT same Audince( Musical fans and latino imgriants !) ?

How can it be a counterpoint to this movie than ?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I would think surely the pandemic anxiety will ease by June/July. I believe the only reason everything's so extreme right now is to slow the initial infections from capsizing hospitals' ability to take care of everyone. Once that part's over, things should go back to some semblance of normalcy and hospitals can care for the average number of people who will catch it at that point like with other illnesses. At least that's my understanding? I hope that's the case anyway.
Does anyone think In The Heighs will still be realsed this summer ? :? Beacuse i REALLY HOPE SO !! :cry: :cry: :( :(

I have listiond to the cast recording on Spotify and it's a dame good score !!

Please excuse my language :oops: :oops: :oops:
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote:
Does anyone think In The Heighs will still be realsed this summer ? :? Beacuse i REALLY HOPE SO !! :cry: :cry: :( :(

I have listiond to the cast recording on Spotify and it's a dame good score !!

Please excuse my language :oops: :oops: :oops:
The commercials did make me interested to see this. Hopefully it will come out later this year instead of being postponed to 2021.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Assuming nothing changes, this will be a great treat this holiday season. I can’t wait to see it (and a trailer)!