Joseph: King of Dreams on Blu-ray

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Joseph: King of Dreams on Blu-ray

Post by Sotiris »

Joseph: King of Dreams is getting released on Blu-ray on January 22, 2019.

Special Features

Digital copy of Joseph: King of Dreams
Sing-Along
Storyboard Presentation with Director's Commentary
Source: https://www.uphe.com/movies/joseph-king-of-dreams
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Joseph: King of Dreams on Blu-ray

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Prince of Egypt is one of the best animated films (the best Dreamworks film), imo, but this movie to me always fit better alongside those really cheap--and really bad--Bible cartoons I'd see growing up. Sort of like the Disney knockoffs. A shame, too. Pass for me.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The Prince of Egypt is one of the best animated films (the best Dreamworks film), imo.
Totally agree with that.
Disney's Divinity wrote:This movie to me always fit better alongside those really cheap--and really bad--Bible cartoons I'd see growing up. Sort of like the Disney knockoffs.
Don't agree with that. Both in terms of storytelling and animation, the film is vastly superior than any Bible cartoon ever made (and I watched a lot of those growing up) and is certainly not comprable to Disney knockoffs. That's evident from the film's production values alone.

Have you actually watched it? Did you know Jodi Benson voices a character and sings in it? Maybe that will convince you to give the movie a chance. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I own a DVD copy from years back. I mean, I'd watch it if I was in the mood to see a visual version of a Bible story, just not something I'd ever watch otherwise.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:The Prince of Egypt is one of the best animated films (the best Dreamworks film), imo.
Totally agree with that.
Disney's Divinity wrote:This movie to me always fit better alongside those really cheap--and really bad--Bible cartoons I'd see growing up. Sort of like the Disney knockoffs.
Don't agree with that. Both in terms of storytelling and animation, the film is vastly superior than any Bible cartoon ever made (and I watched a lot of those growing up) and is certainly not comprable to Disney knockoffs. That's evident from the film's production values alone.

Have you actually watched it? Did you know Jodi Benson voices a character and sings in it? Maybe that will convince you to give the movie a chance. :P
I hate it when people call it a Disney knock off only because it's an animated film that also happens to be a musical. The tone of The Prince Of Egypt is way more adult if not riskier than any Disney animated film.
Also, Disney would never make a religious film. The story of Moses was actually pitched to them by Katzenberg but Eisner refused to produce it. The reason why Disney wouldn't do a religious film is because they are big overseas and a lot of the market flatly refuse to show images or films that represent a prophet. So in short, they would lose a LOT of money. For example, the film was banned in Morocco in 1998 and was only released in 2002 when the laws got more relaxed about biblical representations.

On an another note,I think the main reason The Prince Of Egypt was eventually made was because the last name Spilberg was attached to it. Also, the fact that Katzenberg had a string of successes at Disney with the renaissance and that he founded the studio must have helped. It's quite funny that in the making of the film, he lies about the origins of the film. :lol:

As for Joseph, it's a decent film.
The songs are lovely and the story flows quite nicely but the ink and paint is beyond atrocious and I couldn't buy it on Blu Ray for that reason. I'll stick to my Dvd.