Lilo & Stitch (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Lilo & Stitch (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Disney’s Live-Action ‘Lilo & Stitch’ Will Head To Disney+
https://thedisinsider.com/2020/02/04/ex ... ch-disney/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I guess they don't have enough faith in the film for a theatrical release. A shame, because it would do really well in China and Japan.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I guess they don't have enough faith in the film for a theatrical release. A shame, because it would do really well in China and Japan.
It could still come out theatrically over there either if Disney+ isn't available in those regions yet or if Disney believes, as you do, JeanGreyForever, that the film would be a success in theatrical presentation.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Must admit, this going straight to Disney+ does surprise me. Even though the original didn't break records the character himself is now beloved, and after three sequels, an animated series and two animes I figured this one would get a theatrical release. Especially with how huge Stitch is in Japan and other Eastern markets and how much merchandise he sells.

Then again, Baby Yoda proved they can sell a tone of merch off Disney+ stuff even without a cinema release and since they see D+ as the future maybe they figure exclusive content like this is more important long term than what they could make on it at the box office.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I just don’t understand how they can make this movie with such a small budget. 60 million is not enough to properly animate Stitch let alone a bunch of other alien characters.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chris Sanders talks about the remake.

Lilo And Stitch's Original Director Has A Big Concern For The Live-Action Remake
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/249034 ... ion-remake
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Dean DeBlois talks about the remake.
Q: There has also been a recent trend of remaking classic animated movies into live-action films – even Lilo & Stitch has been mooted for the remake treatment. What’s your take on that?

Dean DeBlois: I find it off-putting, to be honest. In one sense, I think it’s easy because all of the hard work of finding the story and honing it has been done – so now you get to take a movie that’s been a success and just make it in a different medium. But more than that, I feel that the live-action adaptations negate the animated ones in some way; as if to say that they are better than the original. You know, “let us improve upon your flawed medium.” So as somebody who loves animation, I think it loses the charm.

Maybe it appeals to a wider audience – and they certainly do well. So I am probably in the minority. But especially for a film like Lilo & Stitch, which was such a singular, quirky vision – we were basically a group of people trying to make Chris Sanders’ idea for a storybook come to life. And it’s so personal; it’s not an age-old fairytale or a known legend. It’s such a specific story. So to remake it, particularly with a new group of people that weren’t part of that original team… Yeah, that seems like an odd one to me.
Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/how-to ... interview/
“What are your thoughts on the rising trend of ‘live-action’ remakes of animated films?” the question read, with Debruge adding, “Because I know there is a project in the works for a ‘Lilo & Stitch’ remake, so this is directly going to relate to things that you had a hand in.”

“I’m not interested in them. I haven’t seen many of them. They’re made by capable filmmakers and I don’t want to disparage any of the talent or the hard work that went into them, I just think that it’s lazy on the part of the studio. I think it’s easy to go back to something successful that a really talented team put a lot of years of hard work into and then redo it… but to me that is a missed opportunity to put something original into the world.”

He expressed regret that studios, Disney in particular, would dedicate so much money to budgets “required to do a live-action remake of an animated movie… I would rather see something original… [It] bugs me knowing how well-to-do the studio is, how capable they are of taking risks, to then watch them not take the risks.”

Calling back to Debruge’s question about a possible “Lilo & Stitch” remake, he was even less enthused. “’Lilo & Stitch’ has such a quirky, singular voice. It’s Chris’ sensibility and a story that is very personal to him,” he observed. “(Chris’ voice) is so specific that the idea of another team coming in to remake it as a live-action movie, without Chris or any of us involved, is kind of crazy. Stitch is ubiquitous in merchandising and makes a lot of money. He has to be up there among the bestselling characters in consumer products, so I can see why they want to go back into it… I just don’t like it.

“[Remakes] seem to suggest that the animated version is a lesser form than the expensive glossy live-action movie. Even if it’s not actually live-action,” he finished, alluding to the ongoing argument as to whether films like the entirely CG animated 2019 “The Lion King” remake can be considered live-action.
Source: https://variety.com/2020/film/global/de ... 234641876/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Glad Dean DeBlois spoke out and he has a point that this isn't a film with the typical source material like Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, or Aladdin. This was a very original and personal story crafted by Chris Sanders so to go ahead and make this film without his input just feels wrong. They'd be better off going the route of the Japanese and Chinese spinoff shows and have this film involve Stitch meeting some other little girl (or boy) in another country who he befriends.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
Dean DeBlois:And it’s so personal; it’s not an age-old fairytale or a known legend. It’s such a specific story. So to remake it, particularly with a new group of people that weren’t part of that original team… Yeah, that seems like an odd one to me.
Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/how-to ... interview/
This is the part that really stood out to me the most. It is incredibly disrespectful not to even consult the people who made the original films. I understand if you're trying to do a completely different take, but especially for a film like this one, that isn't based on a previous story, it feels really wrong. Almost as bad as the DTV sequels that I don't think consulted the original people either?

It's funny though. Most of what he said is a sentiment I see expressed here all the time. I suppose most animators probably resent the re-makes' existence and I can't blame them.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Will this have any famus actors in it `?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jon M. Chu in Talks to Direct Live-Action 'Lilo & Stitch' Movie
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... -exclusive
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't know how much Stitch would work as a photorealistic CGI creature, Lilo & Stitch is one of their more cartoony films.
Frankly, the only things to get excited about is that the original might be released in 4K and that Auli'i might play Nani.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I’am not excited about this :headshake:

Lilo & Stitch is an original story and it’s too new to be remade

Talk about uncreative :roll:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Jon M. Chu in Talks to Direct Live-Action 'Lilo & Stitch' Movie
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... -exclusive
Is the movie going to be titled just Stitch, or why is it referred to as such twice in the article? Also, Disney is hiring many people who worked on Crazy Rich Asians, right? First Awkwafina and screenwriter Adele Lim for Raya and now the director of that movie for the Willow TV series and this. He has also directed a musical (In the Heights), so I wonder if he'll keep the Elvis songs in the remake.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Is the movie going to be titled just Stitch, or why is it referred to as such twice in the article?
I don't think so. The writer must have used only Stitch for brevity's sake. I checked the other trades and they all refer to it as Lilo & Stitch.
D82 wrote:Also, Disney is hiring many people who worked on Crazy Rich Asians, right? First Awkwafina and screenwriter Adele Lim for Raya and now the director of that movie for the Willow TV series and this.
It's understandable. Crazy Rich Asians was a financial and critical success, so they figure if they hire the talent from that movie they'll get a high-quality commercial product while keeping up with their promises for increased diversity in front and behind the camera. It's a win-win.
D82 wrote:He has also directed a musical (In the Heights), so I wonder if he'll keep the Elvis songs in the remake.
Honestly, I don't care that much if they keep the Elvis songs or not. I just hope they retain Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride and He Mele No Lilo.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The writer must have used only Stitch for brevity's sake. I checked the other trades and they all refer to it as Lilo & Stitch.
I guess you're right. Plus, I've now remembered the anime TV series was already called Stitch! and one of the DTV sequels Stitch! The Movie, so I don't think they'll repeat the same title once again.
Sotiris wrote:Crazy Rich Asians was a financial and critical success, so they figure if they hire the talent from that movie they'll get a high-quality commercial product while keeping up with their promises for increased diversity in front and behind the camera. It's a win-win.
That's true.
Sotiris wrote:Honestly, I don't care that much if they keep the Elvis songs or not. I just hope they retain Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride and He Mele No Lilo.
Come to think of it, given that lately they're trying to showcase more the things that are authentic to the culture they're representing, the two original songs are more likely to be retained than the Elvis ones. However, it's possible that they'll just be heard during the end credits or that there'll simply be a little homage to them in the score like they did in Mulan.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Even though not original, I also want Aloha 'Oe in the film. It's a beautiful song and it serves as the emotional high point of the story. It would be foolish of them not to include it, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't with all the stupid decisions remake directors keep making.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Unless the remake is very different from the original, I think that song will be included.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They're aging up Lilo.

Rumor: Siena Agudong Joins Disney’s Live-Action ‘Lilo & Stitch’
https://thedisinsider.com/2020/11/18/ru ... lo-stitch/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I wonder if Stitch will look creepy in CGI form ? Will they go for cute and fluffy, or realism ?