Lilo & Stitch (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Re: Lilo & Stitch (Live-Action)

Post by RyGuy »

Wonderlicious wrote:With yet another remake, the question now is this - when can we expect the long-awaited live-action remake of Home on the Range? :P
Aw man, you beat me to it, lol!

I can just see it: since Jungle Book and the Lion King were successful, we know audiences will want to watch live action cows! :lol:

At this rate, Chicken Little may join the ranks!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I actually think that oversaturating the live action remakes will only make people tired of it.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Lilo and Stitch (Live Action)

Post by ChrisLyne »

I'm actually excited for this one. Done well it could be really good. But I definitely agree that they need to get Chris Sanders back to at least provide Stitch's voice.
Sotiris wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Didn’t they say no remakes of 2000s movies?
Yes, they did. Twice.
Thanks for that! I was thinking about those quotes yesterday when I heard the announcement.

Re-reading them in light of this news I can see how we might have misread them a bit, taking year 2000 as the cut off. The Vulture quote says around the year 2000 with Sean Bailey only quoted as saying "anything very recent", and Deadline actually says the post-2000 CGI 3D era which only started with Chicken Little in 2005. So Lilo and Stitch could be seen as coming right near the end of the era they're (currently) willing to adapt.

Either way, a Lilo and Stitch adaptation makes a lot of financial sense for them. The adaptations are doing well critically and financially, and Stitch is one of their most popular characters and a consistent money maker. As long as it stays true to the heart of the original I can see it doing really well for them. Definitely one they'll want to release theatrically rather than on the streaming service as they'll want to milk the merchandise as hard as they can.

In the next few years it's going to be interesting to see if any more of these adaptations get a sequel. With multiple theatrical releases every year and even more due to come with the streaming service they'll run out of films to adapt pretty quickly at the rate they're going. Alice already had a sequel, Maleficent 2 (ugh) has just finished filming, Jungle Book 2 is coming (really excited/optimistic for that). If Aladdin and Stitch do well then they seem like natural candidates for sequels down the line.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I'd love to see a live-action Atlantis. It would be a good fit for Disney's streaming service as a TV series. All the cut sequences from the film with the monsters and obstacles that Milo and the others faced on their journey to Atlantis could be incorporated. Not to mention the ideas for the planned animated TV series that became the sequel. An hour and a half film can't really do the material justice.
Well, there already was a live-action remake of Atlantis which was released by 20th Century Fox which is now owned by Disney.

rotfl
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Tristy wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'd love to see a live-action Atlantis. It would be a good fit for Disney's streaming service as a TV series. All the cut sequences from the film with the monsters and obstacles that Milo and the others faced on their journey to Atlantis could be incorporated. Not to mention the ideas for the planned animated TV series that became the sequel. An hour and a half film can't really do the material justice.
Well, there already was a live-action remake of Atlantis which was released by 20th Century Fox which is now owned by Disney.

rotfl
:lol: :lol: rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl :x :lol: :lol: :lol: rotfl rotfl rotfl

I'm LMAO Dead. I laughed so freaking hard at that big time.

At this rate, they might as well make Treausre Planet into a live action film.

(Also, I may steal that joke, it's hilarious)
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Tristy wrote:Well, there already was a live-action remake of Atlantis which was released by 20th Century Fox which is now owned by Disney.

rotfl
:lol: I was about to make that same joke the other day. Most people compare Avatar to Pocahontas because it's a better-known film, but it actually has more things in common with Atlantis. It's curious that the movie now belongs to Disney.

Regarding this remake, I was a bit surprised too that a film as recent as Lilo & Stitch is already going to be adapted to live-action. But if we think about it, it's the next logical candidate after Mulan, because they're mostly adapting the most successful films first. Tarzan was also successful, but there have been many of adaptations of that story, one released quite recently, so I guess they'll wait a bit more to remake it.

Lilo & Stitch is a good film and like it, but unlike many fans, it has never been among my favorites, so though I think this remake is completely unnecessary, I don't mind it as much as the remakes of other films I like more. Anyway, I can't wait for this trend to end too. I wonder if they will cast Auli'i Cravalho or Dwayne Johnson in some role, given that she's from Hawaii and he's of Samoan descent and both have worked for the company before. Auli'i could play Nani and Dwayne would be perfect as Cobra Bubbles.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Tarzan was also successful, but there have been many of adaptations of that story, one released quite recently, so I guess they'll wait a bit more to remake it.
That but also because the most recent live-action adaptation The Legend of Tarzan in 2016 under-performed while Disney's last attempt to capitalize on the property with Tarzan on Broadway in 2006 outright flopped. Not to mention they would have to pay the Burroughs estate again to produce a new movie. They still have a lot of remakes based on more popular animated movies in development to even start considering it.
D82 wrote:I wonder if they will cast Auli'i Cravalho or Dwayne Johnson in some role, given that she's from Hawaii and he's of Samoan descent and both have worked for the company before. Auli'i could play Nani and Dwayne would be perfect as Cobra Bubbles.
It'd be nice if they gave Auli'i a small role or a cameo but I don't think she's right for Nani. She hasn't matured enough as an actress to be able to pull-off a complex and demanding role like Nani's. As for Dwayne being cast as Cobra Bubbles, it would be controversial to have a non-Black actor cast as a Black character. Disney would want to avoid that. Also, if Jungle Cruise proves successful he'd be too busy filming the sequels.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: Lilo & Stitch is a good film and like it, but unlike many fans, it has never been among my favorites, so though I think this remake is completely unnecessary, I don't mind it as much as the remakes of other films I like more. Anyway, I can't wait for this trend to end too. I wonder if they will cast Auli'i Cravalho or Dwayne Johnson in some role, given that she's from Hawaii and he's of Samoan descent and both have worked for the company before. Auli'i could play Nani and Dwayne would be perfect as Cobra Bubbles.
I hope Disney has more sense than to just use Auli'i and the Rock whenever they need to cast Pacific Islander roles. There is more talent in that community than just those two and the optics of that would look terrible. Auli'i doesn't seem old enough to play Nani anyway so she wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice. I'd love to see Q'orianka Kilcher in the role since she's also from Hawaii and she played the live-action Pocahontas at 14.
Sotiris wrote: That but also because the most recent live-action adaptation The Legend of Tarzan in 2016 under-performed while Disney's last attempt to capitalize on the property with Tarzan on Broadway in 2006 outright flopped. Not to mention they would have to pay the Burroughs estate again to produce a new movie. They still have a lot of remakes based on more popular animated movies in development to even start considering it.
The stage adaptation was a hit in Germany though after some reworkings. But I can't see Disney going out of their way to obtain the rights for Tarzan again, although I wish they did just so that they would start acknowledging this movie again. If they could get the rights back to John Carter as well and finally complete the trilogy of movies, I'd love that, although that's surely a pipe dream. Was hoping Andrew Stanton would have enough clout after Finding Dory to make those films, even just for the streaming service, but more than likely Finding Dory was his way of paying reparations for the failure of John Carter.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:That but also because the most recent live-action adaptation The Legend of Tarzan in 2016 under-performed while Disney's last attempt to capitalize on the property with Tarzan on Broadway in 2006 outright flopped. Not to mention they would have to pay the Burroughs estate again to produce a new movie. They still have a lot of remakes based on more popular animated movies in development to even start considering it.
I hadn't considered those other factors. Yes, I think it's unlikely there'll be a remake of Tarzan in the near future.
Sotiris wrote:As for Dwayne being cast as Cobra Bubbles, it would be controversial to have a non-Black actor cast as a Black character.
Well, he's half black, so I don't think there would be controversy because of that. Anyway, I think it's too early to discuss it. Maybe the story is very different and that character doesn't even exist in the new version.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Well, he's half black, so I don't think there would be a controversy because of that.
Yes, but Dwayne is quite light-skinned while Cobra is much more darker-skinned. There would be accusations of whitewashing and colorism. With the recent controversy surrounding Tiana's skin color in Ralph Breaks the Internet, Disney would be even more careful regarding this issue in the future. If they're dead set on including him, they'll probably have him voice Gantu or even create a new role for him.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Yes, but Dwayne is quite light-skinned while Cobra is much darker-skinned. There would be accusations of whitewashing and colorism. With the recent controversy surrounding Tiana's skin color in Ralph Breaks the Internet, Disney would be even more careful regarding this issue in the future. If they're dead set on including him, they'll probably have him voice Gantu or even create a new role for him.
Well, Cobra Bubbles is a much more secondary character than Tiana (in their respective films) and not as well-known as her, so I guess people wouldn't care so much. Plus Polynesian people also need more representation. But this subject is always tricky, so one never knows for sure. I think you may be right that Disney is going to be more careful regarding how they portray black characters after what has happened with Tiana, so maybe it's more likely they would cast him as Gantu or a new character, as you say, if he's in the film.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

And Laurence Fishburne as Bubbles...
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Even ignoring skin tone, Dwayne would not be a good fit for bubbles imo. You need someone more...stoic. Someone with more weight to them. You need someone who can make you want to crap your pants by just giving you the look. Dwayne gives me too friendly of a vibe. Like he would just want to hug me.

Fishburne would definitely be my pick, I'm kinda shocked to find out that wasn't him voicing him in the first place.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I love Lilo & Stitch but remaking it is a new low :what:

I'am twenty-nine and I remember deciding that the original was going to be babyish, then giving it a chance when it came with my Family's DVD player, then taking an almost instant interest in the special features :facepalm:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D82 wrote::lol: I was about to make that same joke the other day. Most people compare Avatar to Pocahontas because it's a better-known film, but it actually has more things in common with Atlantis. It's curious that the movie now belongs to Disney
Well put! I couldn't have said it better myself!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I'm glad we agree on that, DisneyFan09. :)

I also agree that Laurence Fishburne would be a good fit for the role of Cobra Bubbles.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Great minds think alike ;)
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
Tristy wrote: Well, there already was a live-action remake of Atlantis which was released by 20th Century Fox which is now owned by Disney.

rotfl
:lol: :lol: rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl :x :lol: :lol: :lol: rotfl rotfl rotfl

I'm LMAO Dead. I laughed so freaking hard at that big time.

At this rate, they might as well make Treausre Planet into a live action film.

(Also, I may steal that joke, it's hilarious)
Permission granted. :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There are currently three spots reserved for live-action Disney Studios films on Disney's calendar in 2020; one in February, one in October, and one in December. Perhaps Lilo & Stitch will occupy one of them.
Skyler Shuler wrote:Disney’s live-action Lilo & Stitch may develop sooner than expected. Writer Mike Van Waes is nearly complete on the final draft of the films script.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 4537892864
Q: So, any chance this Lilo and Stitch movie will be a 2020 release? Or will it be 2021/2022?

Skyler Shuler: 2020 is shockingly possible.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 5979783168
Q: Any news on the Lilo and Stitch remake?

The DisInsider: First draft of the script is complete.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/gW2ASCG.jpg
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, there's this, TLM, Tinker Bell, that horrible Prince Charming movie, the Genies prequel to Aladdin (or is that not still on?), the Snow White film... Does Mulan have a release date already? I doubt the (first) Prydain film--if they even go through with the series--would be in 2020.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"