Wicked: The Musical: The Movie

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Wicked: The Musical: The Movie

Post by Sotiris »

Production start is now set for June 2022.

Universal’s ‘Wicked’ Movie Hits New Speed Bump
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235037181/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This movie is never going to be made.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I hope that's hyperbole, farerb. This movie is going to be made for sure. It's way too popular an IP. It's just a matter of time.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Also, unlike previous delays which had to do with directors dropping out or the script not being ready yet, the article says it's because they need a bit more time to build the sets and prepare for filming at a new studio that's been opened. It's only an extra three months.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, estefan, even though you supported what I said, I can't help but point out, the article did say they were still writing the script, didn't it? And do they have a director yet?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

In my opinion they are waiting to see how West Side Story does in theaters before deciding to cancel this project. After Cats, In the Heights, Cinderella, Dear Evan Hansen, I don't think studios will be taking chances with musicals anymore, they're on their way out, and especially Universal which was burned with both Cats and Dear Evan Hansen (I have even heard that they are not going to release Dear Evan Hansen on Blu-ray), of course they won't say that, they'll just keep postponing it until they decide to cancel it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, I do get your opinion, but how did In the Heights go? Also, I think Wicked and The Wizard of Oz are still way too big IP's to let go. And even further, the musical will never be on its way out. Disney live-action remake musicals keep being hugely successful.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney films are the exception.
Think about that- stage shows don't need to fill millions of theaters across the world in order to be successful, movies do. So a successful Broadway production won't necessarily be successful when it's adapted to film.
In the Heights and Dear Evan Hansen were flops and both were successful Broadway productions.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think The Wizard of Oz is well-known enough for this to be seen the same way the Disney re-makes are. It's a story everyone knows even if they don't know Wicked in particular, so I think it would draw a bigger crowd than unknown musicals like ItH and DEH. I would think the same for West Side Story though because it's a remake of a classic everyone's seen, so we'll see how that one goes.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hmmm...yes, I must agree with Disney's Divinity, except I need to say West Side Story is another adaptation! I refuse to call it a remake! ;)

By the way, sweet evil stepfamily set, Divinity! Awesome choices and placement of images!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Erivo will play Elphaba while Grande will portray Glinda.

Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Wicked’ Musical for Universal
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/aria ... 235105480/
Disney's Divinity

Oh, yay, they should be great! I'm not sure how good of an actress Ariana is--I've only see her in Scream Queens where her characters was more of a joke (she texted while she was being stabbed... :lol: )--but I think she could manage Glinda. I wonder if this may have some impact on if she would or wouldn't star in Hercules if that God willing ends up being a musical.

Funnily enough, Erivo performed one of Glinda's songs several weeks back for the Wicked Reimagined thing--"Thank Goodness"--and she was the absolute highlight to me (most of the other performances weren't even good, much less great like hers was). I wonder if she was already in talks for this then or if that made her a contender.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Omg I love those two! Now, I don't think Ariana can act that well, but I will keep hoping she can surprise me. I love Cynthia Erivo ever since I saw her in Bad Times at the El Royale, but I wish she was closer in age to Ariana. Oh well. Anyway, see, I knew this film would get made!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wanted to post why I have some confidence in Ariana Grande as Glinda. I heard she was taking acting lessons, but also, her acting isn't atrocious (though I may have thought it was back when she did Hairspray Live!), but she has done some great impressions of singers and actresses! Her singing impressions are incredibly astounding! She can even do Whitney! Check it out:
Ariana Grande SNL Vocal Impressions

Her impression of Judy Garland is good, but wait till you hear her Jennifer Lawrence and Jennifer Coolidge!:
Ariana Grande Celebrity Impressions

"God, you look like the Fourth of July!" LOL!!! So, I think she could do her own great-sounding Glinda, and if her acting lessons help her, maybe she could be even better than I ever hoped, maybe cry, or get us to!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm not fond of cutting movies into parts because of their length. I'd rather have a very long single film, to be honest. Not to mention, what happens if the first part underperforms? Will the second one be scrapped? Will it be changed to address criticism? Both possibilities suck.
Disney's Divinity

That's really dumb. It's a big ask just for one musical to be halfway successful these days, much less two. :roll: That said, ending on "Defying Gravity" would be amazing. :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I thought farerb was going to post a cancellation since he wanted it to be canceled! Lol. I don't mind the film being split in two, but like Sotiris I'd rather one long film. This kind of reminds me of the It movies situation. I don't think the first film could do so bad they scrap the second, but who knows. I'm guessing this will be like the first film is the original play's act I and the second movie its act II, but maybe with added songs and story expansion.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I never said that I wanted the film to be cancelled, I only pointed out that live action musicals don't do well these days, literally everyone of them was a flop.
What they are doing is smart though, they are going to film one film and split it into two films, minimizing the cost and doubling the box office gross.
Let's be honest, the show is only two and a half hours with the intermission, there was no other reason to split this adaptation into two films. None.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

But wouldn't it cost them more in terms of publicity and advertising? They would have to promote the 2nd part too and marketing ain't cheap.