Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by Sotiris »

Most streamed movies of 2021 according to Nielsen. Disney has 11 entries out of 15.
Top 15 Streaming Movies 2021

01. Luca
02. Moana
03. Raya and the Last Dragon
04. Frozen II
05. Red Notice
06. Frozen
07. Soul
08. Cruella
09. Mitchells vs. the Machines
10. Jungle Cruise
11. Black Widow
12. The Tomorrow War
13. Coco
14. We Can Be Heroes
15. Avengers: Endgame
Source: https://www.nielsen.com/insights/2022/s ... tent-wars/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I know that Pixar employees have been bummed about going straight to streaming, but Luca @ #1?! That's great. They should be proud. I guess Soul must have gotten more views in 2020 (didn't it come out on Christmas though??), but #7's not shabby.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Is this list worldwide or domestic? It's weird that Raya is much higher here than on the other lists above. Did Encanto not come to streaming until January 2022? I suppose it'll stack out higher on next year's list. Good for both Jennifer Lee and Pete Docter that the films made post-Lasseter have done so well (referring to Frozen II, Raya, Luca, and Soul all in the top 10). Soul and Frozen II in particular both came out before 2021. Both Lee and Docter were the correct choices to lead! It'll be interesting to see how Raya and Luca are doing this time next year... I hope well.

Still surprising Moana is this high regularly without being able to support its own franchise. I agree with you, Sotiris, that streaming feels very overrated because of how opposed the two lists (this one and the one in the Disney Princess line thread) are to one another. That's why I still think Disney is making a serious mistake with their Direct-to-Streaming tactics; not are they only making it harder for animated films to go back to making the same amount at the box office as pre-pandemic, even in the best case scenario that one of their straight-to-streaming films ends up dominating Disney+ for years in a row (and worldwide at that), it still won't be able to sustain much merchandise much less its own franchise.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Disney's Divinity wrote:Did Encanto not come to streaming until January 2022?
Encanto came to streaming on Christmas Eve 2021.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So not enough time to factor into 2021.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ Confirms 42 Countries to Launch in Europe, Middle East and Africa This Summer
https://press.disney.co.uk/news/disney+ ... his-summer

Disney+ Sets Dates For Summer 2022 Launches
https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/disne ... 2-launches
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Sotiris wrote:Disney+ Confirms 42 Countries to Launch in Europe, Middle East and Africa This Summer
Romania + Malta are on the list! (See a page back if you're like 'Huh?'!) :) :)
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

As a sign of possible things to come in other regions and territories, Disney+ Hotstar has signed a deal with WWE for exclusive Indonesian streaming rights to WWE Network content (akin to the deal with NBCUniversal's Peacock in the United States). According to the below-linked article, content will stream with both English and Bahasa Indonesian commentary.

The deal becomes effective this Saturday with the WWE's annual "Royal Rumble" event.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/disney-plu ... 234903900/
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Disney+ Confirms 42 Countries to Launch in Europe, Middle East and Africa This Summer
Romania + Malta are on the list! (See a page back if you're like 'Huh?'!) :) :)
:dance:

It's about time!

I will try it when it's available, though I will not be able to sustain a regular subscription. It'll probably be on 'n' off for me, as somebody here suggested way back when I was bitching over the expenses of multiple streaming service subscriptions.

Edit: OMG I still have my Christmas avatar. :milkbuds:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Jules wrote: :dance:

It's about time!

I will try it when it's available, though I will not be able to sustain a regular subscription. It'll probably be on 'n' off for me, as somebody here suggested way back when I was bitching over the expenses of multiple streaming service subscriptions.

Edit: OMG I still have my Christmas avatar. :milkbuds:
In the end, I don't think the service is that worth it unless you're a Star Wars or MCU fan, which I'm not, at least it comes with Star, so it won't be as useless as it is in the US, but still.... I might try it eventually, maybe when Disenchanted comes out, but like you said, I don't think I'll keep it. Though Netflix is $17 here, and I heard that Disney+ will be $13 so maybe it will be preferable to Netflix, I'll see when it happens I guess.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I don’t understand why the US doesn’t include an adult brand within Disney+. Without it the service is really bare bones.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

farerb wrote:In the end, I don't think the service is that worth it unless you're a Star Wars or MCU fan, which I'm not, at least it comes with Star, so it won't be as useless as it is in the US, but still.... I might try it eventually, maybe when Disenchanted comes out, but like you said, I don't think I'll keep it. Though Netflix is $17 here, and I heard that Disney+ will be $13 so maybe it will be preferable to Netflix, I'll see when it happens I guess.
That is one of the reasons it'll be easier for me to make the decision to be an "irregular" subscriber.

I really do want to check out the exclusive animation produced by Pixar and WDAS for the platform, especially the WDAS Short Circuit programme, which I am dying to see (even if I am aware the shorts are "short" shorts at about 2 to 3 minutes each.)

Frankly, it might also be a very good excuse to check out older live-action Disney films from the 1950s till the 2000s, if they are available. While my interest in Disney has always been animation, it'd be interesting to check out what they did on the live-action side of things throughout the years, if only out of curiosity.

For the record, I have watched very few Disney live-action films. Outside the live-action/animation hybrids, I believe these are the ones I have actually seen:

1950s Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue

1960s NOTHING

1970s NOTHING

1980s Popeye, Flight of the Navigator (does that count?)

1990s One of the "Angels" films (not sure which), George of the Jungle, Inspector Gadget, The Parent Trap

2000s The Princess Diaries (and its sequel), Ice Princess, Herbie: Fully Loaded (not sure about this one - memory is fuzzy), Freaky Friday, The Haunted Mansion, the Pirates of the Caribbean films

2010s Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella, Tomorrowland, PotC: On Stranger Tides

I may have missed some, but I reckon if added to the list they won't make for a huge difference.

George of the Jungle and Inspector Gadget were first experienced in the cinema. The "Angels" film was the same. I believe I watched that on a school outing when I was 7 or 8. I couldn't believe the school staff "chose" that film for us. It was a total bore. (I'm not sure I even knew what baseball was before that movie.)

I think I first caught The Parent Trap on an Italian TV channel, and loved it! I think I only saw that film twice and it has been about 20 years since my last viewing.

The original Princess Diaries and the first three Pirates films were also experienced first in the cinema.

I've probably written far more about what films I watched and how I watched them than many of you care to read. :P Sorry for rambling. I guess I kind of get a kick out of sharing certain details of which movies I grew up with or experienced, and the way I did that, because it feels intimate. Hope I don't bore you all.
Patrick wrote:I don’t understand why the US doesn’t include an adult brand within Disney+. Without it the service is really bare bones.
Fully agreed. I believe if in the main interface there is a section marked strictly for older viewers it shouldn't be a problem, and no parents need complain. Certainly kids could be "locked out" of that section so that they couldn't watch it even if they tried.

I do not think this would hurt the Disney "brand."
blackcauldron85

Don't they have Hotstar+ in countries that don't offer Hulu? I could be wrong...in the US they have the "bundle" option to get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for one price. My parents have that; the services all have their own interface, their own apps, though- the other 2 are not on the Disney+ interface.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Don't they have Hotstar+ in countries that don't offer Hulu? I could be wrong...in the US they have the "bundle" option to get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for one price. My parents have that; the services all have their own interface, their own apps, though- the other 2 are not on the Disney+ interface.

Yes, Star+ is the equivalent to Hulu outside of the United States. Hotstar was a pre-existing service that Disney inherited when it bought 21st Century Fox and decided to launch Disney+ as in India, Indonesia, et. al., because Hotstar is a recognized brand in those regions.
blackcauldron85

^ Thank you :)

Bob Iger Doesn’t Think Audiences Will Return To Movie Theaters In The Same Numbers Post-Pandemic
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/bo ... 12905.html
blackcauldron85

Not much new info I suppose but summaries:
'Encanto' became a word-of-mouth hit on Disney+ after playing in theaters, and it shows animated movies are essential to the company's streaming goals
https://www.businessinsider.com/encanto ... ers-2022-1?

Luca's Streaming Numbers Show Why Pixar Films Are Moving to Disney+
https://screenrant.com/luca-streaming-n ... us-success
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Has it been mentioned that Disney+ will adapt the Percy Jackson books into a TV-show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSNg-mUIqrI
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yes, it was posted on its own thread:
https://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20#p754694
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Yeah, now I see it. I tried to search with the words "Percy Jackson Disney" but didn't get any hits then. Which I do now, for some reason.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

How do you feel about Pam & Tommy, a show about a sex tape that contains nudity, being on Disney+ outside the US?