Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

There probably was just a short window of time before it had to go to Starz so why wouldn't Disney have put it on Disney+ for even a short while?

‘Daredevil,’ ‘Jessica Jones,’ and Other Netflix Original Marvel Series Moving to USA Disney+ on March 16
https://wdwnt.com/?p=622379
blackcauldron85

Disney+ to launch cheaper ad-supported tier later this year
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/04/disney- ... -year.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:‘Daredevil,’ ‘Jessica Jones,’ and Other Netflix Original Marvel Series Moving to USA Disney+ on March 16
https://wdwnt.com/?p=622379
There's no excuse now for not going forward with the Lizzie McGuire revival.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Disney+ to launch cheaper ad-supported tier later this year
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/04/disney- ... -year.html
I don't think this is going to work. If you are going to offer an ad-supported tier, it needs to be free like what Peacock is doing. No one will be willing to pay and sit through ads. It's not surprising, Dsney's stock took a hit after the announcement.

Disney Stock Falls After Plans Announced for Ad-Supported Disney+ Option
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-stock-ad ... -streamer/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Hulu does a paid ad tier, seems to work for them.

Of course, those who remember it miss the early days when it was free and ad supported.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm not sure where to post this, but Disney is livestreaming the 2022 Annual Meeting of Shareholders right now here. I don't know if there'll be any sneak peeks at upcoming projects or not, but they showed some images of the Pinocchio and Peter Pan remakes in the opening video montage.

Edit: The event has now finished. The only new things they showed were a trailer for the Star Wars series Obi-Wan Kenobi and the images from Pinocchio and Peter Pan Farerb posted in the respective threads for these movies.
blackcauldron85

The Parents Television Council Slams Disney+ for Adding Mature Content, Says it “Destroys Your Brand” https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-par ... our-brand/
Head's up for those in the US:
When opening Disney+ for the first time on or after March 16, all subscribers in the U.S. will be prompted to update their Parental Controls. This includes the option to select content ratings restrictions for each profile as well as to add a PIN to lock profiles. Those that choose to keep their settings the same will continue to enjoy Disney+ as they always have within a TV-14 content rating environment, with the option to make changes at any time under Profile settings.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

With Disney's 100 anniversary coming next year, I would imagine Disney+ would upload more classic stuff. For the shorts, I think it would be best to just upload them in packages like episodes of a TV show, at least the ones that are part of a series. One for Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Silly Symphonies and possibly Oswald's. Come to think of it, it's strange that the Mater and ForkyAsksAQuestion shorts are all separate.

Anyhow, here's how I would organize them.

Classic Mickey Mouse
Season 1: B+W shorts (1928-1931)
Season 2: B+W shorts (1932-1935)
Season 3: Color shorts (1935-1937)
Season 4: Color shorts (1938-1953)

Silly Symphonies
Season 1: B+W shorts (1929-1932)
Season 2: Color shorts (1932-1939)

Classic Donald Duck
Season 1: Shorts (1936-1941)
Season 2: Shorts (1942-1946)
Season 3: Shorts (1947-1950)
Season 4: Shorts (1951-1961)

Classic Pluto (includes shorts that were originally Mickeys but are de facto Pluto cartoons)
Season 1: Shorts (1935-1946)
Season 2: Shorts (1947-1952)

Classic Goofy
Season 1: Shorts (1939-1949)
Season 2: Shorts (1950-1961)

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
Season 1: All shorts (1927-1928)
Last edited by willard on Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

^ It's been a few months since I've watched them, but the Forky shorts did have a "collection."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Parallels is a French Disney+ original series that is also being released in the U.S. dubbed in English on March 23, 2022.

Poster and trailer.

Source: https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1 ... 0590462976
blackcauldron85

Disney+ is Releasing Sing Along Versions of Some Titles Beginning with ‘Encanto’ March 18 https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/disney- ... -march-18/
In addition to Encanto, Disney+ plans to release Sing-Along versions to more titles in the future, including “Frozen,” “Frozen 2,” “Beauty and the Beast (1991)” and Disney’s live-action “Beauty and the Beast (2017).”
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:Disney+ Confirms 42 Countries to Launch in Europe, Middle East and Africa This Summer
https://press.disney.co.uk/news/disney+ ... his-summer
Jules, Vlad Sicoe - I heard it's going to launch on June 16, but it might be different for each country.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Apparently Dancing With the Stars will no longer air on ABC and will become a Disney+ show. Ratings have been falling steadily over the years, so not really surprised. I personally don't watch it regularly, but will sometimes catch Disney night and/or watch if there's someone I like there (like when the Spice Girl was on last year) until they're eliminated.

But I'd be fine if they cancelled altogether, especially since they got rid of Tom Bergeron a couple of years ago. He was the best thing about it, tbh.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ Has 30% More Value Than Average Streaming Services Due To Its Genre Focus, Fandom Report Finds
https://deadline.com/2022/04/disney-plu ... 235005496/
blackcauldron85

^That is interesting and maybe the opposite of what this article says:

Households cut the cord to streaming services as inflation bites, with Disney+ seen as the most expendable
https://fortune.com/2022/04/19/inflatio ... ons-spike/

Billie Eilish To Jam With Lisa In ‘Simpsons’-Themed Short For Disney+
https://deadline.com/2022/04/billie-eil ... 235005408/
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

First, the Indians and now both Tinker Bell and Captain Hook?! And Ursula, too?! :shock: :?

It seems as though "Peter Pan" is in trouble again: https://insidethemagic.net/2022/04/disn ... matic-kc1/.

According to a report in the New York Times, Disney has now labeled Tinker Bell and Captain Hook as "potentially problematic". The Stories Matter team (the ones who gave "Peter Pan" that unskippable warning on Disney Plus because of the Indians) had this to say:

Tinker Bell was marked for caution because she is “body conscious” and jealous of Peter Pan’s attention, according to the executives, while Captain Hook could expose Disney to accusations of discrimination or prejudice against individuals with disabilities because he is a villain.

At least some people inside Disney are concerned that such sensitivities go too far. One of the executives worried that looking at artistic creations through a “politically correct filter” could chill creativity.

The report also singled out Ursula from "The Little Mermaid" in a similar way:

The Stories Matter team privately flagged other characters as potentially problematic, with the findings distributed to senior Disney leaders, according to two current Disney executives, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss confidential information. Ursula, the villainous sea witch from “The Little Mermaid” (1989), was one. Her dark color palette (lavender skin, black legs) could be viewed through a racial lens, the Stories Matter team cautioned; she is also a “queer coded” character, with mannerisms inspired in part by those of a real-life drag queen.

Is it possible, based on the report, that the existence of these two movies is at stake?
Disney's Divinity

Nearly all of the Disney villains are queer-coded and cast in dark colors (even The Nightmare Before Christmas' villain could be accused of being racialized), so I'm not concerned. Neither of these films are in "jeopardy." They will probably just end up with one of those intros or warning labels for parents to approve or whatever, the same way Aladdin, Pocahontas, etc. do. That would have inevitably happened to TLM for gender reasons anyway.

In 20 years (or sooner), the same will be happening to TP&TF and Moana for sure, perhaps Frozen II and Encanto. Tangled's Gothel could be thought of as anti-Semitic. They should just put an intro in front of all these movies for the crybabies; it's one thing to be concerned about some things that are legitimate and to avoid repeating those things in new films, but looking for things to be bothered by like this is just inane.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

willard wrote:With Disney's 100 anniversary coming next year, I would imagine Disney+ would upload more classic stuff. For the shorts, I think it would be best to just upload them in packages like episodes of a TV show, at least the ones that are part of a series. One for Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Silly Symphonies and possibly Oswald's. Come to think of it, it's strange that the Mater and ForkyAsksAQuestion shorts are all separate.

Anyhow, here's how I would organize them.

Classic Mickey Mouse
Season 1: B+W shorts (1928-1931)
Season 2: B+W shorts (1932-1935)
Season 3: Color shorts (1935-1937)
Season 4: Color shorts (1938-1953)

Silly Symphonies
Season 1: B+W shorts (1929-1932)
Season 2: Color shorts (1932-1939)

Classic Donald Duck
Season 1: Shorts (1936-1941)
Season 2: Shorts (1942-1946)
Season 3: Shorts (1947-1950)
Season 4: Shorts (1951-1961)

Classic Pluto (includes shorts that were originally Mickeys but are de facto Pluto cartoons)
Season 1: Shorts (1935-1946)
Season 2: Shorts (1947-1952)

Classic Goofy
Season 1: Shorts (1939-1949)
Season 2: Shorts (1950-1961)

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
Season 1: All shorts (1927-1928)
Sadly, I don't think we're going to get any more shorts on Disney Plus than what's there now. Believe me, I would love to see more. In fact, I seem to recall spotting several such shorts on the Japanese streaming service, which are not on the U.S. service, including the following:

-Mickey's Polo Team (1936)
-Moose Hunters (1937)
-Polar Trappers (1938)
-Good Scouts (1938)
-The Whalers (1938)
-Mickey's Parrot (1938)
-How To Play Golf (1944)
-How To Hook Up Your Home Theater (2007)

I think the majority of these shorts are missing because they involve hunting animals of some kind, which is apparently frowned upon in the U.S., but not so much in Japan. That's the only explanation I can think of.

I also find it weird that almost all of the shorts from the "Walt Disney Animation Studios Shorts Collection" Blu-Ray, including "Get a Horse", are now on Disney Plus, with a few exceptions, including "How To Hook Up Your Home Theater". That cartoon is great and a nice throwback to the Goofy cartoons of old, just as "Get a Horse" is a nice throwback to the old black-and-white Mickey cartoons.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Nearly all of the Disney villains are queer-coded and cast in dark colors (even The Nightmare Before Christmas' villain could be accused of being racialized), so I'm not concerned. Neither of these films are in "jeopardy." They will probably just end up with one of those intros or warning labels for parents to approve or whatever, the same way Aladdin, Pocahontas, etc. do. That would have inevitably happened to TLM for gender reasons anyway.

In 20 years (or sooner), the same will be happening to TP&TF and Moana for sure, perhaps Frozen II and Encanto. Tangled's Gothel could be thought of as anti-Semitic. They should just put an intro in front of all these movies for the crybabies; it's one thing to be concerned about some things that are legitimate and to avoid repeating those things in new films, but looking for things to be bothered by like this is just inane.
But that's what they're doing, looking for things to be bothered by. Even if they continue to be on the streaming service, would we ever be able to see anything related to Captain Hook, Tinker Bell or Ursula (i.e., merchandise) ever again after the report?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The Tinker Bell criticisms are odd, because those are the aspects that make her an interesting character rather than just any fairy.

Interesting enough, Roger Ebert criticised "The Rescuers Down Under" on original release, because he felt the villain was dark shaded in a coded way. So this is not the first time someone has said this about Disney villains.

I'm also pretty sure Howard Ashman was the person who suggested that Divine serve as the visual inspiration for Ursula as a homage to Divine. Gaston, Jafar and Scar were all animated by Andreas Deja. These characters are partly the way they are, because of the gay men who played a key role in their creation and their intentions are absolutely not malicious. I think when analysing media, it's important to look into why and how they were created rather than just looking at them on a surface level.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Disney villains were queer coded before and after Ashman. Hook, Cruella, Scar, Ratcliffe, etc. And villains are often in dark colors in children's films, so the race-coding accusation could apply to almost any animated villain.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Why don't they just add an unskipabble "you might find something wrong with this title" in everything?