Pirates of the Caribbean 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 6

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Two films tied to the same property coming one right after the other is a disaster waiting to happen.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Hasn't Margot Robbie been labeled box office poison? Not too many of her films become successful and Birds of Prey especially was a flop.
Was she? I don't think people see movies specifically for her, although there are very few movie stars left who people will go see something just because they're in it (Leonardo DiCaprio, Denzel Washington and Kevin Hart appear to be the exceptions nowadays), but I don't think audiences are turned off by her. She's well known and is a multiple Oscar nominated actress, so it makes sense why studios are hiring her.

Looking at Margot Robbie's recent filmography, she seems to have a mix of hits and underperformers. Birds of Prey, Bombshell, Mary Queen of Scots and Goodbye Christopher Robin pulled in disappointing numbers. However, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Peter Rabbit, I Tonya and Suicide Squad were all hits. But I don't think her involvement played that significant a role in how well those movies performed.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

estefan wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Hasn't Margot Robbie been labeled box office poison? Not too many of her films become successful and Birds of Prey especially was a flop.
Was she? I don't think people see movies specifically for her, although there are very few movie stars left who people will go see something just because they're in it (Leonardo DiCaprio, Denzel Washington and Kevin Hart appear to be the exceptions nowadays), but I don't think audiences are turned off by her. She's well known and is a multiple Oscar nominated actress, so it makes sense why studios are hiring her.

Looking at Margot Robbie's recent filmography, she seems to have a mix of hits and underperformers. Birds of Prey, Bombshell, Mary Queen of Scots and Goodbye Christopher Robin pulled in disappointing numbers. However, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Peter Rabbit, I Tonya and Suicide Squad were all hits. But I don't think her involvement played that significant a role in how well those movies performed.
I, Tonya is probably the only one whose success I'd say depended on her because she was the main star of the film and she was nominated for an Oscar. OUAT in Hollywood's main draw was Tarantino, Pitt, and DiCaprio while I really doubt children went to see Peter Rabbit because Margot Robbie had a role in it. As for Suicide Squad, I'm not even sure that can be considered a hit because while it did do well in comparison to other films, but it didn't meet the standard WB planned for their DC Universe. It was also an ensemble cast and while she was the breakout character, clearly her Birds of Prey spinoff wasn't successful enough to warrant its existence and that was essentially marketed all around her.

I know Britt Robertson (from Tomorrowland) was another actress who was getting really high-profile movies for a few years but she was labeled box office poison because everything she was in would flop.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Get Elizabeth Swann in a spinoff, surely ?!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Atlantica wrote:Get Elizabeth Swann in a spinoff, surely ?!
I would love that. I think Keira Knightley said she's not interested in doing more POTC because she didn't find the filming process worth all the effort she had to put in. Maybe she would feel differently as the lead.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Anyone reading this should do a video(s) this and also pray (aligning with getting everyone you can to pray for Johnny Depp to win the outcome of this, for it not only means a more fan satisfying future for Pirates of the Caribbean but also greater success for Fantastic Beasts, which happen to be my two favourite movie franchises of all time :) it would be truly gratefully appreciated :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrPBLoO438U
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Margot Robbie breaks her silence on whether she will star in the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ reboot: “Maybe. It's early days. I shan't say no more...for now.”
Source: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 3727308820
Q: I feel like your involvement and Christina [Hodson]'s is exactly what I needed to get me hyped for another one of those movies. So, what are you two striving to bring to that film that we have yet to see in that franchise?

Margot Robbie: A lot of girl power! It's too early to talk about it, but I appreciate that you're psyched on the combo. I love Christina, obviously. I'm not a producer on 'Pirates', so I'll sit back and wait for the process the way you're allowed to do as an actor which is nice. I don't have to stress about it just yet. We're really, really excited at the prospect of adding, obviously, a very key female element to that world.
Source: https://youtu.be/BYgPI9BmY9o?t=407
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Nooooooo.

Still want the Elizabeth Swann spin off :(
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

The reboot is the reason we got Red the pirate (The redhead) in the attraction from the beginning. So they could replace Johnny Depp with a new female protagonist. I knew it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Johnny Depp will not be returning to the franchise.
Disney had already backed away from a Pirates future with Depp well before the U.K. trial, even if it never formally severed ties. Bruckheimer, who has been one of Depp's biggest champions and once suggested the finger injury happened because "he got it caught in a car door," was hoping to at least bring the Captain Jack Sparrow character back briefly in the next outing — said to be a female-centric incarnation fronted by Margot Robbie. Disney balked.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... -implosion
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler wrote:Margot Robbie's version of Pirates of the Carribean is moving forward. I heard Karen Gillan and Margot Robbie are going to co-star together in the new Pirates movie and it's supposed to film as early as next summer, hopefully for a 2023 release. That's what's on the table right now. We've already talked about the directors that are in the mix. Cathy Yan, Travis Knight were a couple of names I had heard, but nothing was set in stone there. I don't have any updates on the director front. I'm just hearing that Karen Gillan and Margot Robbie is a connection that Disney's trying to move forward with and filming will begin next summer.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWMCI0KTVY
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Sotiris wrote:
Skyler Shuler wrote:Margot Robbie's version of Pirates of the Carribean is moving forward. I heard Karen Gillan and Margot Robbie are going to co-star together in the new Pirates movie and it's supposed to film as early as next summer, hopefully for a 2023 release. That's what's on the table right now. We've already talked about the directors that are in the mix. Cathy Yan, Travis Knight were a couple of names I had heard, but nothing was set in stone there. I don't have any updates on the director front. I'm just hearing that Karen Gillan and Margot Robbie is a connection that Disney's trying to move forward with and filming will begin next summer.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWMCI0KTVY
What is sad news to drop on talk like a pirate day indeed :(:(:(:(:(:(:( #JusticeForJohnnyDepp
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Regardless of who they cast, this needs a proper director so it doesn't turn into yet corporate dictated mish mash of bland ideas. But then again, it's Walt Disney Pictures and Bob Chapek, so they'll hardly allow it to be any more than that
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

A perfect example of disconnect between the media and the general public. Not a single soul I know believes Amber Heard. Everyone considers her to be a huge liar.

Yet Hollywood cancels Johnny Depp.

This will backfire for the Pirates franchise.
Disney's Divinity

POTC is pretty much synonymous with Johnny Depp. The other characters may vary, but they've never been able to come up with a character as iconic from the series as Sparrow. A reboot is destined to fail*. They'd have been better off to have reversed their decision to cancel POTC6 after Heard's lies all came out.

* Maybe they can make it Disney+ only. That's their way to wring usefulness out of floppy material these days. :lol:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

In my opinion, something that's missing from the whole "Justice for Johnny" narrative is that....he hasn't been good in a movie like this in a long time. I recall very clearly stories of his unprofessionalism on the set of the last movie, including his lines being fed to him through an earpiece. In addition, he is clearly not the box office draw he once was. Audiences for the most part seem to be tiring of his schtick. I imagine Warner Bros was very surprised that his secret inclusion in the first Fantastic Beasts was met with more groans than excitement. And the box office for the second installment reflected that attitude.

Because of that, I'm not surprised at him being dropped from these franchises. Sure the reasoning given could be his tumultuous personal life, but the executives could also be seeing it as an easy out for a performer whose lost a lot of his drawing power and fresh performances.

Again I want to clarify that this is my opinion. I used to be a huge fan of Depp in my younger years, and I was off the bandwagon long before any of these allegations came out. While he made the Pirates franchise the initial success that it was, his departure is fine by me because the filmmakers won't be forced to write a story around his very played-out character. The 4th and 5th films show that the writers are extremely hesitant to take Jack Sparrow in a new or interesting direction, so best to just retire the character. A new lead with fresh energy might be the shot in the arm the franchise needs to get going again. But if it fails? Well a Pirates 6 with Depp was probably not going to do great anyway, if recent history tells us anything.
Disney's Divinity

I didn't want Johnny Depp in Fantastic Beasts either. Mostly because he looked nothing like Grindelwald. POTC will still fail without him. From what I remember, POTC5 was a hit.... That's a fact, right? So I'm not sure what logic you're using. I loved the 5th film, personally, after not caring for 3 and 4. I was looking forward to the return of Depp, Bloom, and Knightley in the same film as was hinted in the end credits. There's no way in any universe that I would believe that wouldn't have done better than what this reboot is promising. I think that's pulling at straws to justify a bad decision.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

lord-of-sith wrote:In my opinion, something that's missing from the whole "Justice for Johnny" narrative is that....he hasn't been good in a movie like this in a long time. I recall very clearly stories of his unprofessionalism on the set of the last movie, including his lines being fed to him through an earpiece. In addition, he is clearly not the box office draw he once was. Audiences for the most part seem to be tiring of his schtick. I imagine Warner Bros was very surprised that his secret inclusion in the first Fantastic Beasts was met with more groans than excitement. And the box office for the second installment reflected that attitude.

Because of that, I'm not surprised at him being dropped from these franchises. Sure the reasoning given could be his tumultuous personal life, but the executives could also be seeing it as an easy out for a performer whose lost a lot of his drawing power and fresh performances.

Again I want to clarify that this is my opinion. I used to be a huge fan of Depp in my younger years, and I was off the bandwagon long before any of these allegations came out. While he made the Pirates franchise the initial success that it was, his departure is fine by me because the filmmakers won't be forced to write a story around his very played-out character. The 4th and 5th films show that the writers are extremely hesitant to take Jack Sparrow in a new or interesting direction, so best to just retire the character. A new lead with fresh energy might be the shot in the arm the franchise needs to get going again. But if it fails? Well a Pirates 6 with Depp was probably not going to do great anyway, if recent history tells us anything.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I didn't want Johnny Depp in Fantastic Beasts either. Mostly because he looked nothing like Grindelwald. POTC will still fail without him. From what I remember, POTC5 was a hit.... That's a fact, right? So I'm not sure what logic you're using. I loved the 5th film, personally, after not caring for 3 and 4. I was looking forward to the return of Depp, Bloom, and Knightley in the same film as was hinted in the end credits. There's no way in any universe that I would believe that wouldn't have done better than what this reboot is promising. I think that's pulling at straws to justify a bad decision.
I actually thought what they did with Jack in the fourth and fifth Movies was quite interesting, even if they may not have been fully presented/executed in the best way they could’ve been. It Is actually quite refreshing to see Jack’s cunning and quick wit all by himself Overall in the fourth without Being too influenced by Rum and or a life and death [or at least on a different kind of level ] Experience than the other films. And even in the fifth, They still overall handled it an overall satisfying way even if it still could’ve been better; it would be fair to say that they did overdo it a little bit hence part of the reason why it Is easily Johnny’s worst performance as Jack to date, as combined with what Was going on In his personal life, And just that being difficult/Unorthodox material To portray.

Nonetheless I do agree with the above that I certainly loved the fifth film overall better than the third and fourth [and even the first; potential he may even be the second one is my favourite overall :-) and yes, the fifth still did quite well making Only a smidge less than $800 million, which is definitely nothing shy away from, let alone again prove that series will still do just as well or even better if it continues as is. A lot more people I know loved the Fifth one, particularly better than All or if not most of the sequels, With some who even missed out on seeing the fifth one in theatres even stating that they would go and see a sixth in theatres because they loved the fifth so much.

As we have seen countless times with things like Ghostbusters, X-Men, Spider-Man With its initial reboot, LET alone What pirates Pretty much did it self with the fourth one, which despite its success of Over $1 billion still caused diminishing returns for the fifth again despite it’s very respectable about $800 million, whenever they try to completely go in a different direction with all or mostly new characters and or not many returning characters returning, then it More than usually never turns out well, and again especially compared to just continuing as it is especially in this case when it’s still prove to do well and has more than a potential to do even better Oregon at the very least just as well which is still better than a lot of those other examples that I’ve stated above.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Sure the 5th movie did *well* but it made 175 million domestic, which was a sizeable drop from the 4th, which was a sizeable drop from the 3rd, which was a sizeable drop from the 2nd. And the 5th movie even advertised having Depp, Bloom, and Knightley in it. I think it's fair to assume that a 6th movie featuring Depp would see the same sizeable drop. Would a movie without him make even less? It's very possible, but why spend so much money on Depp when you're already seeing diminishing returns? That's just my outlook on it.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

lord-of-sith wrote:Sure the 5th movie did *well* but it made 175 million domestic, which was a sizeable drop from the 4th, which was a sizeable drop from the 3rd, which was a sizeable drop from the 2nd. And the 5th movie even advertised having Depp, Bloom, and Knightley in it. I think it's fair to assume that a 6th movie featuring Depp would see the same sizeable drop. Would a movie without him make even less? It's very possible, but why spend so much money on Depp when you're already seeing diminishing returns? That's just my outlook on it.
Doesn’t worldwide certainly matter a lot more for big Blockbusters like this, Especially Since the fourth one broke opening records Internationally,let alone is what truly Had it make over $1 billion