Pirates of the Caribbean 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Pirates of the Caribbean 6

Post by Sotiris »

While people are currently focused on what will happen with Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after the firing of James Gunn, there is another project at Walt Disney Studios that might have some issues moving forward and that is Pirates of the Caribbean 6.

We now hear progress has been made and it might actually end up happening with director Joachim Rønning expected to return (currently shooting Disney’s Maleficent 2). A script is seemingly being worked on by writers Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, and Jeff Nathanson with production designer Nigel Phelps said to be returning as well.

Considering Joachim is busy with Maleficent 2 there is a good chance filming won’t be taking place until after that releases in late May 2020 and we assume could land a release in 2021-2022. Now comes the big question, post-James Gunn will Disney tolerate the return of Johnny Depp in a sixth film?
Source: https://thegww.com/pirates-of-the-carib ... franchise/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 6

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I can see one final PotC happening with or without Johnny Depp. What a shame it would be that they finally got Bloom and Knightley back only to have to cut out Depp though. :lol:

Although, talking about Depp, I wonder how that might affect the Fantastic Beasts series, which (depending on how well the second one does, I imagine) will have either 2 to 4 more installments. I never liked him as a choice for Grindelwald anyway (he looks nothing like how the character is described when-young in DH, beautiful with long, blonde hair). I can't lie--it would be nice if he was re-cast with someone who actually looks like the character.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

The guy who played him in the Deathly Hallows movie seemed pretty apt.

...Are the public still interested in the Pirates franchise? I thought the last film bombed.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Pirates 5 made $794 million off a $230 million budget, so the last one still did really well, although with a significant drop from On Stranger Tides. These movies are pretty expensive, though, so I can understand there being internal debates within Disney over whether there is still gold to be made from this series. As well as Dead Men Tell No Tales did, it's still the first film in the franchise to gross less than $200 million domestically.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

I think the reason Pirates 5 were not as successful is obvious. They took everything that people disliked about Pirates 4 and made it the center and focus of all the trailers and other promotion. I know many people who are fans of the original three movies and though the fourth one was weaker (which I think is popular opinion), and most of them didn't see the fifth one in cinemas. When I asked why, it was exactly this: trailers made it look worse than the fourth one.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

All this talk of a sixth instalment (really?!), and I can't help but be reminded of this article from the Daily Mash (British satirical news site, a bit like The Onion): https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/art ... 0524128195
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^^
"I expect in the next one Captain Jack will do an inventory of the biscuit rations and dried meat.”
Ya know, I think in the heydey of POTC, that still would have sold tickets...
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Elizabeth Swann all the way people !!!!!!! Her and Redd for the win 8)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: What do you have planned for Pirates 6?

Terry Rossio: I have not been asked to participate in a Pirates 6. I don't know if there are plans, there could be, and I wouldn't know about them.
Source: https://twitter.com/TerryRossio/status/ ... 2316512261
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I'll be honest, I'd like one more. Get the original gang back together and wrap it up with one final adventure.

With all the continuity errors (especially in the last one) I'd love the final post credits scene to be Jack in a tavern somewhere just telling the story and making it up as he goes along.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

If I'm honest, it felt like there were a lot of 'back of head' shots of Depp etc in the movie, and he wasn't really present in the film at all. At least, that's what it felt like to me. I did even read a story somewhere that there was a heavy use of body doubles for him on the film as well, so that might have contributed to my thoughts.

Bring in the story on a much smaller scale, and maybe put Elizabeth back at the forefront, as the creators said the original trilogy was as much about her characters arc as anything else. BUT if Captain Jack isn't featured at all, I'm sure there would be a massive backlash. He could be the '....... & Johnny Depp' of the film and have a cameo. Captain Jack could be assumed dead for the entire film, then pop up at the end, as you said above, telling his tale in a tavern somewhere. That would be cool !
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

I just want them to resolve everything, even if not in the movies. They could do it in the comics that were released before fifth movie, but still decided not to. When the fifth one was released, it was a new story and didn't featured anything from the fourth one. And yet they still included their own cliff-hangers, that probably won't be resolved as well. I wish they would make a one final movie with the characters from the fifth one + perhaps Angelica's cameo, due to her last scene in Pirates 4.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's clear they're trying to soft reboot the franchise to get rid off Johnny Depp.
Disney is exploring a reboot of its billion dollar Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. The studio has met with the writing team of Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick and they are in early talks to write the script. Reese & Wernick are the writers behind the first two Deadpool blockbusters, and before that wrote Zombieland and its sequel, and 6 Underground, the action film that Michael Bay is directing for Netflix with Ryan Reynolds starring.

Jerry Bruckheimer will continue to captain the ship as producer on Pirates of the Caribbean, but at this point it is too early to say who else might be back and that includes Johnny Depp, who has channeled Rolling Stones’ rogue Keith Richard in playing Jack Sparrow through the first five films. It is not surprising the studio will try to breathe new pirate life into the franchise, as the first five films grossed north of $4.5 billion over 14 years.
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/10/pirates-of ... 202488160/
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

About playing Jack Sparrow; Johnny Depp once said he had finally found a character he would gladly play for the rest of his career.

The franchise needs a little new blood, but the concept about fantasy at sea, about pirates and ships encountering mysterious islands and meeting mythological Creatures, should still have to potential to delight the audience.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:It's clear they're trying to soft reboot the franchise to get rid off Johnny Depp.
100%. I don't know why Disney is still bothering with this since the franchise died a long ago and I doubt a spin-off will make things better, especially if a very forgiving fanbase of the lead won't support it.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote: I don't know why Disney is still bothering with this since the franchise died a long ago
I wouldn't call an 800 million gross worldwide "dead." On Stranger Tides made a billion, even though that was the worst in the franchise.

I think a "reboot" that technically stays in the same timeline/universe, just casts off most all of the older characters could work. I'd rather they keep the two new characters from DMTNT as the protagonists. But who knows. People identify this so closely with Johnny Depp. I wish the Fantastic Beasts franchise would get rid of him somehow and re-cast Grindelwald with someone who actually fits the character. They could say the Johnny Depp look had been a side effect of staying so long in the Colin Farrell transformation or some other BS explanation, whatever it takes....
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

A lot of people have been mentioning a 'soft' reboot, akin to a spin off I suppose. Same universe so all of the same characters can appear at some point, if they so choose. I'm all up for Redd being the main character, or Elizabeth...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'd love to see Keira Knightley carry the franchise. She complained about not being able to actually have fun in the role until the third film so maybe she'd be open to actually do more films where she can have adventures and not play the damsel in distress. A female led POTC would create a nice synergy with the recent modifications to the ride.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Johnny Depp is OUT as Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean franchise
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... chise.html
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Interesting that they've made it official now. I figured we wouldn't get official confirmation until we got closer to another installment, whether it's a reboot or not.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey