Pirates of the Caribbean 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 6

Post by Jules »

*deleted duplicate post*

-Jules
Last edited by Jules on Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Farerb wrote:Image
A good bunch of these headlines amaze me.

Forget the Depp/Heard context. Everyone deserves to be treated kindly and fairly, and violence and malice can never be acceptable. Fullstop!

However, this drive to blindly believe everything women say has irked me greatly. I do not understand which genius decided that the only way to make up for the suffering women have endured throughout human history is to take all their words as gospel.

It's as if all women are saints and would never lie or try to abuse the flawed MeToo wave to ruin an innocent person based on mere allegations.

The last time I tried to gently suggest the flawed concept of the MeToo movement on Facebook, complete strangers were on the verge of harassing me, implying that I'm evil and that I have "skeletons in my closet."

That was 1.5 years ago on Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research page, of all places.

I have never commented again, because with my real name and pic on FB, I feel vulnerable that somebody may try to damage me.

This is madness. I can't believe it is considered progressive.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think there's anything flawed about the MeToo movement, although I agree that not every story is equal. I think the "Believe all women" phrase was more a moniker attached to the movement by critics to diminish it, since I remember most people actually in the movement only saying "Believe women" early on. As in, you give women the opportunity to be listened to and assess their story fairly rather than immediately dismissing them as a liar or fame-seeker or something else. Most of the accusations as part of the MeToo movement, I have believed (like Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Cosby, Lasseter, Kavanaugh, Louis CK, etc.), but there have been some exceptions--this being one of them. The Spacey allegations were particularly hard to swallow because I was always a fan of him. I'm not nearly as big a fan of Johnny Depp, I just didn't believe the story once that video of her hitting him came out.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Former Disney Exec Believes Johnny Depp Returns to The ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Franchise
https://thedisinsider.com/2022/06/04/fo ... franchise/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

These headlines are ridiculous. Not sure why the media is so insistent on making everything a representation of the wider metoo movement. If the people writing this drivel had even watched 5 minutes of Amber on the stand they would have understood the verdict. It’s the mainstream media that had already made up its mind on the case. Even though it was blatantly obvious to the general public that Heard is a lying, manipulative narcissist.

I definitely believe this trial sets back women’s plight to be believed. But that’s ALL on Amber Heard. Not on the jury or Johnny Depp.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't think there's anything flawed about the MeToo movement, although I agree that not every story is equal. I think the "Believe all women" phrase was more a moniker attached to the movement by critics to diminish it, since I remember most people actually in the movement only saying "Believe women" early on.
I should have explained myself better.

I don't actually think there's anything flawed about MeToo either, as long as it operates the way it should.

I feel that MeToo is about bringing to light the abuse many women suffer at the hands of men. If women get the courage to hold accountable the men who've done nasty, criminal acts, and justice is served, then great!

What I don't like is when men are ruined on the basis of mere allegations, with no evidence to back up the claims except the victim's words.

Now, I understand that there are probably endless cases of abuse with no evidence to support the female victim's story - which is also entirely truthful! Nevertheless, I cannot support the idea of throwing any man under the bus purely on the basis of allegations. While this will certainly take care of all those who have truly done wrong, it comes at the cost of innocents who may have been framed by spiteful individuals.

That is my problem with the MeToo movement.

I simply cannot justify innocent people being ruined. I'd rather 50 wrongdoers get away scot-free due to a lack of evidence, than a single person rot for the rest of their lives because of a malicious and untrue claim.

Two wrongs do not make a right. And as far as I know, the justice system in the western countries most of us here call home has always been based on evidence. This trend to crucify people in the distinct lack of evidence seems like a recent occurrence to me. And it's just plain wrong, and twisted.

That's what happened to Johnny Depp. And now he's been vindicated. Hopefully this restarts the slow process of rebalancing the situation in the west.

Hope that makes my point clearer. :) I wrote that last post in haste, on the phone, on the bus! I hate posting on UD on my phone, lol. :lol:
Disney's Divinity

Jules wrote: Two wrongs do not make a right. And as far as I know, the justice system in the western countries most of us here call home has always been based on evidence. This trend to crucify people in the distinct lack of evidence seems like a recent occurrence to me. And it's just plain wrong, and twisted.
There's a difference between a court of law and a court of public opinion... Nobody is being "tried" in a court of law based on no evidence--it's more a case of the public believing somebody is guilty.
Disney's Divinity

Disney's Divinity wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:I think the disconnect between public opinion and the media will become apparent when Aquaman 2 flops next year.
There's apparently a rumor in the gossip rags that her scenes in the film have been cut... Remains to be seen if that will be true or not.
Sotiris wrote:I doubt that. It would launch a slew of bad publicity for the studio by the press and social media with the usual accusations of misogyny and victim-blaming. They are already getting flack for significantly reducing her role in the sequel. Amber Heard revealed that herself during the trial. However, the head of DC films said that this had nothing to do with Depp and their dispute, but was due to her lack of chemistry with Momoa. He also revealed they were thinking of recasting her for that reason, but instead opted for limiting her screentime.
Well, apparently, they didn't cut the scenes--instead they chose to re-cast.... This is very surprising, I didn't think they'd actually fire her or anything like that. :o

EDIT: Apparently her spokesperson denies it. We'll see.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Pirates of the Caribbean producer Jerry Bruckheimer says that one of the series' original writers is coming back for the next movie. Comicbook.com's Chris Killian spoke to him for Top Gun: Maverick and they had to address getting back on the seven seas. "I've very excited, it's going to be terrific," Bruckheimer began. "We're just working on the screenplay. One of the original writers, Ted Elliot, is helping write it. He has a great command of the characters."
Source: https://comicbook.com/movies/news/pirat ... uckheimer/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

So glad he's back ! That's what all the recents sequels have missed, is their direct writing involvement.

Still not 100% sure on Margot though, unless she did a team up with Elizabeth Swann. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Atlantica wrote:That's what all the recents sequels have missed, is their direct writing involvement.
They only weren't involved with the last installment, Dead Men Tell No Tales. I'm glad Ted Elliot is back, but I wish Terry Rossio was allowed to come back too. It's too bad he's been blacklisted by the industry.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote:
Atlantica wrote:That's what all the recents sequels have missed, is their direct writing involvement.
They only weren't involved with the last installment, Dead Men Tell No Tales. I'm glad Ted Elliot is back, but I wish Terry Rossio was allowed to come back too. It's too bad he's been blacklisted by the industry.
Well, let's hope we get Johnny Depp back now that he's been cleared, for a lack of better word, of his crimes.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Sotiris wrote:They only weren't involved with the last installment, Dead Men Tell No Tales. I'm glad Ted Elliot is back, but I wish Terry Rossio was allowed to come back too. It's too bad he's been blacklisted by the industry.
Terry Rossio did get a story credit on Dead Men Tell No Tales, which means he did some work on that one. He also got a story credit on Godzilla vs Kong and is the sole credited writer on the new animated film The Amazing Maurice.

Rossio did get deserved flack for his asinine anti-vaxxer tweets, so it's not a little hard to see why someone wouldn't want to work with him. With that said, Ted Elliot appears to have been even less prolific (his last screenplay credit was on The Lone Ranger) and he didn't tweet stupid things, much to my knowledge.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:Terry Rossio did get a story credit on Dead Men Tell No Tales, which means he did some work on that one.
That credit was out of legal obligation because he had worked on an early screenplay that was never used. He had no involvement with the final product nor did he collaborate with Jeff Nathanson on the story. He admitted so himself.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Margot Robbie says female-led Pirates of the Caribbean movie is dead in the water
https://ew.com/movies/margot-robbie-pir ... ovie-dead/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:19 am Margot Robbie says female-led Pirates of the Caribbean movie is dead in the water
Good. Maybe this will begin a start of a path to bring Johnny Depp back for a sixth Pirates movie.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I’m not against Margot Robbie in a Pirates movie. Only against one led by her…

So yeah, bring back Johnny.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, they've been developing two Pirates of the Carribean movies concurrently, both sans Depp, so it's not like they're giving up on the franchise.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Do you guys think Johnny Depp will return after Disney dropped him? :?
I hope he will, as I adore him as Captain Jack Sparrow. But I can understand him, if he's had enough.
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Farerb wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:19 am Margot Robbie says female-led Pirates of the Caribbean movie is dead in the water
Margot Robbie in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie? Interesting... :)