Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Oh yeah, I forgot that it'll mess with your 4K collection. Shouldn't be shocked by Disney's trend of inconsistency.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The TROS novelization (going to be released March 31st) has been obtained early by some people. Although Ben isn't exactly alive in the novel like some people were hoping, he's not a force ghost so he's not officially dead either. And people who read it said that there is closure on how Rey feels about him fading away at the end which is really bittersweet but also necessary for his fans to finally read.

Also the famous "but I do" line from the trailer has made it into the novel.
https://twitter.com/shelbylynnmarie/sta ... 9665677312
ImageImage
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Exclusive concept art of Rey and Kylo Ren from ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ show how the film could have been different
https://www.businessinsider.sg/star-war ... art-2020-3

Star Wars: 10 Best Unused Ideas From The Sequel Trilogy
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-best-u ... ilogy/amp/
Poor Porg. :(
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Some guys made Duel of the Fates into a nifty cartoon. Check it out, it's pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdfe5yQ0Hg
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

So, um... in Duel of the Fates, does the Millennium Falcon make it to the final credit roll? I don’t think anybody has said whether or not it did.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I read the full script a while back and while I can't remember every detail, I do remember that the Falcon wasn't destroyed. The whole ending scene involved it if I'm correct. There were some fakeouts with the Falcon nearly being destroyed but they were much like the death fakeouts in the final film (with Chewie, C-3PO, and Rey. Sadly not Ben).
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

The Rise of Skywalker’ Novelization Adds Needed Context to Jannah Meeting Lando Calrissian
https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the ... alrissian/

I think that that's really nice of Lando!
blackcauldron85

JeanGreyForever (in the LA Peter Pan thread) wrote:and the LFL Story Group was similarly pissed by this decision as they always envisioned him as surviving.
So, they give filmmakers full control (like how Pixar says they're a director-lead place), but they already had ideas for the character(s). What're your thoughts on what could have been done as a happy medium?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
JeanGreyForever (in the LA Peter Pan thread) wrote:and the LFL Story Group was similarly pissed by this decision as they always envisioned him as surviving.
So, they give filmmakers full control (like how Pixar says they're a director-lead place), but they already had ideas for the character(s). What're your thoughts on what could have been done as a happy medium?
Actually LFL usually doesn't give filmmakers full control. They had production issues with Rogue One and brought in another director to help finish the film and Solo had the two directors fired because they weren't making the film LFL wanted them to make and the actors complained about the directors veering off script.

The Rise of Skywalker was a very different situation though because of Carrie Fisher's passing which meant they needed to come up with a new script that would still feel fulfilling without her. Colin Trevorrow was supposed to make TROS but LFL hated his drafts (the Duel of the Fates draft which I posted about here before in prior pages) and didn't feel he was on the same wavelength as them so they fired him. JJ Abrams was brought in because they had successfully worked with him before on TFA, he had the footage of Carrie Fisher from TFA, and the public generally liked his films. He agreed to come back and quickly whip the film into shape in the small amount of time they had left but I believe his requirement was that he didn't have to work with the LFL Story Group which helps sort out the Star Wars canon and works on the supplementary material like the cartoons, books, comics, etc.

On TFA, he worked with them but didn't really enjoy having to be dictated by them and being told there were certain things he couldn't do so this time around, he wanted to skip all out. That's why TROS has a lot of canon inconsistencies (like Poe's past is completely different now, Rey is a Palpatine despite having had no important bloodline in TLJ, etc.) because the Story Group wasn't allowed to work on this film very much and had basically no say. The Story Group was very central to TLJ and worked hand in hand with Rian Johnson so they generally preferred Rian and TLJ and one of them even left LFL to go work with him (Kiki Hart). On Twitter, some of the Story Group have implied or flat out suggested that they weren't a fan of TROS and really had no input in it. Pablo Hidalgo, who is the head of the Story Group, even revealed in a private tweet that his ideal ending would have involved Ben alive and Ben would exile himself to Ahch-To.

Also, I forgot that one of the reasons Disney also wanted JJ back is because they heard rumors that WB wants JJ to come and sort out their DC Cinematic Universe and that freaked them out. They feared that JJ would revive DC films like he did with Star Trek and Star Wars and they didn't want anything else to rival their Marvel films so they hoped by keeping up a good relationship with him, he wouldn't go work for their rival WB.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

That's super disappointing that they let down their guard, so to speak, by letting JJ do whatever he wanted without following the rules by having LFL assist. So, JJ had Carrie footage...did it belong to him, not LucasFilm??

*edit* Have you seen this Force Ghost fan-edit?
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... rves.html/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The footage didn't belong to JJ and I know studios like Disney are super strict with stuff like that. It's the same reason that a lot of directors who have left Disney are still not able to speak freely about abandoned concepts or rejected films because Disney still owns the rights to all that stuff. In JJ's case, the fact that he had first-hand shot all that Carrie Fisher footage meant that he would be more familiar with it and Disney/LFL needed someone who could very quickly start production on this film and get to work. It's sorta like how Disney brought Alan Menken onto Tangled because they needed somebody who could quickly create songs for the film in the short time left they had for production, as JJ has a reputation for being able to quickly crank out films.

Yes, I have seen that fanedit! I like it although it's incomplete with Leia imo.
ImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I saw an interview with Josh Trank in a youtube video (have tried to find it again without success), where he says that the reason why some directors that are supposed to direct a Star Wars movie, or even a trilogy, suddenly pulls out and is replaced by others, is because of social media. Trank admits he said no to the Star Wars project because he knew he would be fired if he didn't. When he was a hot name, everything was fine. But when reports about him started appearing on Twitter (which are read and not ignored by the companies according to him) and possibly other social media, he knew Katleen Kennedy wouldn't like it. Just as David Benioff and Dan Weiss was supposed to make a trilogy, but after people started complaining on the net about the last episodes of Game of Thrones, they too were out of the picture.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I saw an interview with Josh Trank in a youtube video (have tried to find it again without success), where he says that the reason why some directors that are supposed to direct a Star Wars movie, or even a trilogy, suddenly pulls out and is replaced by others, is because of social media. Trank admits he said no to the Star Wars project because he knew he would be fired if he didn't. When he was a hot name, everything was fine. But when reports about him started appearing on Twitter (which are read and not ignored by the companies according to him) and possibly other social media, he knew Katleen Kennedy wouldn't like it. Just as David Benioff and Dan Weiss was supposed to make a trilogy, but after people started complaining on the net about the last episodes of Game of Thrones, they too were out of the picture.
Josh Trank was probably fired because of his unacceptable behavior on the Fantastic Four film. He apparently had some issues even while filming Chronicle but that was a hit and his debut film I think so it was accepted then. But studios clearly have not been a fan of him ever since the FF film. Social media backlash against him probably didn't help but no studio wants the misfortune of working with him so Trank is just trying to pretend that his reputation is so spotless. He's also blamed Fox for the mismanagement of FF and while that would be partially true, he pretended he wasn't culpable at all and if he had sole creative control, the film would have been a hit. Benioff and Weiss were problematic for several reasons including that Confederate show they were making plus the fact that they themselves were bragging about how they had no experience or vision. I think they were also fired by LFL sometime before the news broke out so it wasn't only because of GoT backlash.
ImageImage