Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:40 pm I'm also excited for Wish, but I loved Raya and enjoyed Encanto despite expecting to hate it. I'm keeping my mind open in regards to Strange World, it could turn out to be another Encanto and Zootopia and surprise me. I hope this manages to do WIR numbers at least, but like Avaitor says, Disney doesn't seem concerned with the box office for their animated films recently. Which is weird, because they always did good business with them before the pandemic came along. Hopefully they eventually get back to a place where most of their animated films do modestly well at least, even if that doesn't happen with this one.
We need Pixar's Elemental and Disney's Wish to be those movies to do modestly and insanely well.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘Strange World’ Eyes $25M Offshore Bow In Slimmed-Down Release As Disney Opts To Skip Middle East & More Over Potential Censorship
https://deadline.com/2022/11/strange-wo ... 235178513/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The movie currently has 74% with a rating of 6.6, Disney Animation's lowest since Meet the Robinsons, even lower than Frozen II. Though right now there are only 38 reviews and it can change.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Well, I actually expected it would be worse. Although, the score could still drop.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The movie is projected to earn $20-30 million during its opening weekend at the domestic box office.
Strange World has yet to click in long range modeling with sentiment and interest comparisons leaning closer to Encanto and other low-to-middling animation performers than Disney’s past smash hits like Ralph Breaks the Internet, Moana, Frozen, et al. Any potential (or expected) streaming release on Disney+ during the holiday season could be a factor to watch for as well.

3-Day Opening Low/High Range: $20,000,000—$30,000,000
Domestic Total Low/High Range: $68,000,000—$103,000,000
Source: https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range ... nge-world/
Disney Animation’s Strange World hopes to squeeze out $30M+. That’s not exactly the best result for a Disney family film launching over the 5-day frame, a figure that’s under last year’s Encanto which did $40.5M. Strange World cost $135M before P&A and Disney is jettisoning the movie to Disney+ by Christmas time. Strange World hits 4,000 theaters this Wednesday with previews starting at 6PM Tuesday. Pic’s theater count is comprised of 2,000 3D locations, 250+ PLF auditoriums and 100+ 4D/DBox screens. While Strange World‘s marketing hasn’t included anything about the gay character, the pic’s talent has been very vocal about it on their press tour.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office ... 235179433/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I see a lot of reviews criticizing the messy story and the unrefined script. I think it's time to be reminded about this:
When she first wrote for Disney, Lee had wanted more time for iterating — thanks to her, writers now get four drafts before the storyboard stage, whereas before they had only one or two.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235076391/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Maybe she should give them six drafts then. :P
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Are we officially in another dark age then? I’m getting Treasure Planet vibes.

I liked the initial teaser for this but I got less and less excited the more was shown in recent trailers. It looks kind of uneventful.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Strange World Review
https://www.ign.com/articles/strange-world-review

I bought tickets for Friday at 2pm- I'm still super excited...I think it'll have a lot of heart and great visuals and I'm looking forward to it!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

PatrickvD wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:26 am Are we officially in another dark age then? I’m getting Treasure Planet vibes.
I think there are many who'd like Disney to be in a dark age, but I don't think so. This has TP vibes because they imitated that film and Atlantis as far as sci-fi direction--who knows why. They've never been successful with that genre. Even if this film flops though, Encanto and Frozen II were both undeniable successes for WDAS albeit in different ways, and I expect Wish will also be a hit, so... And we know other hits like Zootopia 2 and Frozen III are coming in the not-so-distant future, too.

I think Disney felt safe in taking risks this film because they had Wish coming next year. They probably looked at this film in the sense that in the worst case scenario, they're at least making a LGBT pivotal character in the midst of the backlash over Chapek's missteps and feeding Disney+ more content. I believe Disney is more focused on things like Wakanda Forever this year.

I just checked the theater I'm visiting for times tomorrow and apparently Strange World is already being shown there today! At 6pm and 8pm showing times only though
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:24 am I just checked the theater I'm visiting for times tomorrow and apparently Strange World is already being shown there today! At 6pm and 8pm showing times only though
Same for my local theater so I'm going at 6pm (CST) tonight. As of a few moments ago, I'm the only ticket sold. It's not that strange (pun intended?) though, because I do live in a somewhat rural area and it's a little early for a film that's still supposed to come out in a few more days.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:22 pm
Disney Animation’s Strange World hopes to squeeze out $30M+. That’s not exactly the best result for a Disney family film launching over the 5-day frame, a figure that’s under last year’s Encanto which did $40.5M. Strange World cost $135M before P&A and Disney is jettisoning the movie to Disney+ by Christmas time. Strange World hits 4,000 theaters this Wednesday with previews starting at 6PM Tuesday. Pic’s theater count is comprised of 2,000 3D locations, 250+ PLF auditoriums and 100+ 4D/DBox screens. While Strange World‘s marketing hasn’t included anything about the gay character, the pic’s talent has been very vocal about it on their press tour.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office ... 235179433/
So last year with Encanto, I felt it had a very middling box office opening. But once it came to streaming, it blew up and became everyone and their grandma's favorite movie.

Is it possible for Strange World to also have a Christmas streaming boom, and most people will skip out in theaters BECAUSE they're waiting for it to come on Disney+?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:10 am
blackcauldron85 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:26 amThe last page over I posted this from the Art book (it's not too spoilery, just what the song is about): "We open the film with a song dedicated to Jaeger Clade."
Does it say who wrote the song?
The soundtrack track list has been revealed, as well as details about the song:
Also included is the original song They’re The Clades! written by Jackman (music) & Kevin Del Aguila (lyrics) and performed by James Hayden. The soundtrack will be released digitally tomorrow, November 23.
There's also a reprise performed by the same artist, which curiously is longer than the actual song:
1. They’re The Clades! – James Hayden (1:05)
31. They’re The Clades! (Reprise) – James Hayden (1:19)
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Warm Regards wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:51 amSo last year with Encanto, I felt it had a very middling box office opening. But once it came to streaming, it blew up and became everyone and their grandma's favorite movie.

Is it possible for Strange World to also have a Christmas streaming boom, and most people will skip out in theaters BECAUSE they're waiting for it to come on Disney+?
Encanto's success after streaming has to do more with it's music I think. "We Don't Talk About Bruno" in particular became a viral sensation on apps like TikTok, which drove people to stream it. Strange World doesn't have a catchy song to lip-sync and dance to. So unless it has some quirky dialogue that's easy to sample, I'm not sure it has a chance to capitalize on similar word of mouth.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:59 amThe soundtrack track list has been revealed, as well as details about the song.
Thanks for the info! I wonder which version they'll submit to the Oscars. The reprise must be for the epilogue and will most likely be accompanied by heartfelt or inspirational footage, and given that's it's longer than the actual song, it may make more sense to submit that one. This probably means there really won't be an end credit song which is unusual. When was the last time there was no song at the end credits of a WDAS film?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Indie wire.com gave SW a C grade saying it was unfunny and the plot over complicated.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:24 am I think there are many who'd like Disney to be in a dark age
Really? I`m not one of them ;) :D I would never want Disney to be in a Dark Age again, despite how it`s inevitable.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The soundtrack is already available where I live. Here are the song and its reprise, though the links most likely won't work in all territories:

They're The Clades!
They're The Clades! (Reprise)
Sotiris wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:22 pm I wonder which version they'll submit to the Oscars. The reprise must be for the epilogue and will most likely be accompanied by heartfelt or inspirational footage, and given that's it's longer than the actual song, it may make more sense to submit that one. This probably means there really won't be an end credit song which is unusual. When was the last time there was no song at the end credits of a WDAS film?
If I'm not mistaken, the last time there was no song at the end credits was Dinosaur in 2000. Not all the films after it have had original end credit songs, though. Lilo & Stitch, Chicken Little and Tangled used new versions of pre-existing ones, but they still had songs during the credits.

Both versions of "They're The Clades!" are very similar. The main difference is that the first one centers on Jaeger and Searcher, while the reprise is about the whole family. It sounds like a cartoon theme song or a jingle to me. It reminds me a bit of Up's end credit song, "The Spirit of Adventure." It's a fun little song, but I don't know if Disney will even bother to submit it to the Oscars.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I just got home from seeing the movie. I don’t know if I should go into too many spoilers since it’s main release is in a few days, and I’m sure most of you will see it by then so I’ll just keep to myself for the time being.

The movie is visually stunning, I think. I didn’t find the story to be overcomplicated, like some critiques have said. I do think some points are very rushed, and there are PLENTY of holes. I have a lot of questions about the world they live in. As far as a hard hitting woke/leftist message… maybe I’m already far left but I didn’t see anything too radical here. The diversity makes sense because why wouldn’t it? Nothing else world building made any sense.

Over all, my hot take is that it’s a pretty middle of the road movie for Disney. Probably in the ranks of Ralph Breaks the Internet or The Rescuers Down Under. I’ll definitely revisit it, and I did find it enjoyable. It just wouldn’t make my top 5, 10, or even 25 WDAS features.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't think Disney are delusional to submit this song to the Academy Awards.