Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I loved it!!! I love the Clades! They were so refreshing. A loving married couple?! Yes, please. I love their family dynamic (including Legend!!), how caring they are. I laughed quite a few times. Not belly laughs but there was some humor. I did not cry, but I did aww at Searcher's speech to Ethan toward the end about legacy. And I did love that kitchen scene - it made me really happy.. The score really is good, too.

When my husband came back from the men's bathroom during the credits he told me: In the bathroom there was a man and his son. The dad asked, "did you like it? Except for all the queer bs?". Yes, the kid liked it.

I was a little confused as to what Searcher and Jaeger were doing towards the end, digging, but my husband said they were getting rid of the diseased layer so the immune system could heal.

My only complaint, which isn't much of a complaint - more surprising I guess - was that they were in the storage room for .02 seconds and they were saved very quickly. And that Callisto and Jaeger were mean for .02 seconds. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment, but the stakes were low I guess. But I like that Callisto and Jaeger were on board with Searcher's plan.

My husband's thought at the very end was "Is that turtle lonely?". Aww.

So did Ethan turn 18 and moved out to the underground or like he was working there for a day, or was travel just open between the 2 areas? I'd like an expansion of the story as far as what life is like now, the two areas affecting each other.

In the credits: drawings of THE BAXSON!! and the Star from Wish!!

My husband did not expect to like this, wasn't impressed with the trailers, and he really liked it and gave it 7/10! I think it was so refreshing, just as good as Raya I think which I loved. So it's up there for me.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, interesting! :o That's three pretty positive reviews between blackcauldron85, rodrigo_ca, and DisneyFan09. You all liked it more than I did, I'd probably give it a 3 out of 5, roundabout.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I gave the movie a 3 1/2 on Letterboxd, myself. Honestly, this is probably my favorite WDAs film since Moana, or at least tied with Encanto.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

While it seems like the core of “Strange World” remained surprisingly intact, the movie did go through various versions. They second-guessed the wacky song that starts the movie off (it stayed) and then there was the question of how hard-edged the story should be. (In the finished film a lone crew member, the original pilot, gets gobbled up.)

“We used to murder the entire crew,” Nguyen said. Hall elaborated, describing how the deaths would have impacted Callisto Mal (Lucy Liu), the headstrong leader of the expedition: “She was a little broken, but she was the only one left. And there was a scene where they go back to the broken remains of the Venture, and it’s all decayed, and it was like ‘Alien,’ and things were skittering around in the shadows and it was Callisto, who was haunted by the crew.”
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/strange-world-d ... -versions/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Strange World’s directors explain the Disney movie’s big twist ending
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23 ... g-spoilers

Composer Henry Jackman Talks Strange World, Needledrops, And More
https://www.slashfilm.com/1114859/compo ... interview/

Strange World Directors Wanted The Movie To Be More Like The Matrix Than Men In Black
https://www.slashfilm.com/1112692/stran ... exclusive/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Strange World’ Is a Historic Bomb for Disney on a Weak Thanksgiving Box Office Weekend
https://www.thewrap.com/strange-world-h ... fice-bomb/
Strange World is now looking at $19M-$21M over five days after a $5.2M Friday. The studio fully embraced a character being openly gay in the movie, however, that was hid from the film’s marketing. The critics such as The Guardian‘s Cath Clarke are in line with the audience’s temperature of a B CinemaScore and 82% on PostTrak. Strange World played best in the West and Southwest with Salt Lake City placing in four of the top ten runs. Exit demos updated for Strange World are 51% women, 33% under 17, 30% between 18-34, and 48% Caucasian, 24% Latino and Hispanic, 10% Black and 18% Asian.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office ... 235180803/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

So, I finally watched this and...I hated it. Well, hate is a little strong, but it has instantly become my least favorite entry in the entire canon, surpassing Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons. There's nothing about it I find appealing. No redeeming qualities. This is another advocacy movie from Disney, the filmmakers themselves admitted as much, but this time the message is so ham-fisted and awkwardly handled that it reads more like a manifesto than a piece of art. To be honest, the problem lies not so much with the environmental messaging itself, but rather the way it is presented and executed. Pocahontas also had environmental themes, but they felt organic and appropriate since they were part of the philosophy and the way of life of Native Americans. The entire purpose of this movie seems to be to shame and guilt people into getting on board with controversial policies designed to fight climate change. And while that may be a noble cause, it is not entertaining.

Aside from the god-awful character designs and the broad, hyper-kinetic animation, the characters themselves are not at all engaging. They all fall between annoying and boring. The familial themes are overly simplistic and easily digestible. They don't tackle the complicated and ugly side of dysfunctional family dynamics that can't be easily resolved. The emotional moments sprinkled throughout the film are not only undercut by dumb jokes but come off as calculated and unearned. The relentless attempts at humor fall flat, the frenetic pacing is headache-inducing and the plot is highly predictable. Each setback or action sequence seems to be there to fill out the running time until the ending without contributing anything meaningful to the narrative. The worst part about this film is how derivative it all looks and feels. You can't help but get a curious sense of déjà vu while watching it. It's like you've been to this place before, but it's somehow worse than you remembered. The only semi-interesting moment was when Callisto seemed to turn into the film's antagonist, but of course they didn't have the guts to follow through with it and actually have a female Asian character as the film's villain.

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

It’s like a woke manifesto:
1. Interracial marriage
2. Gay teen
3. Weak white men
4. Strong women all of color
5. Handicapable dog
6. Climate change plot

Did I miss anything?

Not my idea of entertainment and I’m as queer as a 3 dollar bill.

No wonder it’s bombing.
Disney’s worst film ever.
Will it change anything at Disney?
I doubt it....
They’ll go down with the woke ship.
Disney got political and they’re paying the price...
Last edited by carolinakid on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's what it deserves.
Strange World is now looking at $18.6M over five days after a $5.2M Friday and $4.3M Saturday.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office ... 235180803/
Strange World arrived with a thud at $9.2M in 43 overseas markets and $27.8M globally, including the domestic five-day holiday. Strange World was consistent in that it just didn’t click anywhere. The top market was the UK at $1M, followed by Spain, Mexico and Italy with $700K apiece and Germany at $600K. The movie is eyeing a potential $40M finish overseas.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/black-pant ... 235182165/
Disney’s “Strange World” failed to entice family audiences, collapsing in its debut with $11.9 million from 4,174 North American theaters over the traditional weekend and $18.6 million over the five-day holiday frame.
Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/box-offic ... 235442708/
Disney’s “Strange World,” which is turning out to be one of the biggest bombs in the history of the famed animation studio, with a five-day opening of just $18.6 million. It is an opening on par with the $16.5 million made by Disney’s infamous 2002 bomb “Treasure Planet,” and keep in mind, the total for that film is before inflation adjustment. International markets offered no help for “Strange World” either. The animated film grossed just $9.2 million from 43 overseas markets, giving it an anemic global launch of just $27.8 million.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/black-panther-s ... ox-office/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

The first DAC I won’t add to my collection and I even purchased Lightyear which I despised.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

carolinakid wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:14 am 3. Weak white men
None of the male characters are weak or passive in this film, least of all the King Triton-esque manly man, Jaeger.

Anyway, I do plan to get this eventually on Blu-ray next time I re-start my DMC account, although I'm not going to hurry myself to get it like with Raya, Encanto, and Turning Red. All three of those I wanted to see again as soon as I could, whereas this one was just okay. Lightyear was fine--I think both it and Strange World turned out better than the unappealing advertisements to me--but I don't buy most PIXAR films. I don't think sci-fi and animation are well-suited, especially if you're unwilling to take much risk with characters dying like most animated films are.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

carolinakid wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:14 amI even purchased Lightyear which I despised.
Why did you buy it then?
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I haven't seen the movie yet (so far they are only showing it in dubbed version here), but it makes me sad that it is a science fiction movie. First Lightyear, and now this. Both a sci-fi and didn't do well at the box office. Disney is probably concluding that people don't want animated science fiction (and remember Treasure Planet?).

But science fiction has potential to make great movies, if they only do them right. Using this movie as a metaphor for global warming, as some has claimed it is, does not sound like a good idea. People see movies to escape their everyday life for a couple of hours, and they hear about climate changes all the time. At least let them have a break when they see a new Disney movie. What about focusing on the sense of wonder instead?
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

I was lucky enough to watch a special pre-screening of the movie a few weeks ago on the Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank and then also got to attend the Hollywood premiere of Strange World.

I gotta admit: I didn't even wanna see the movie before. The trailers and posters just didn't appeal to me at all. But then I absolutely fell in love with the movie. It is so strong!! And it is such a shame nobody is seeing it right now. I really loved Ethan as a character, the family dynamic and the message what the movie actually is about in the end.

On the day of the premiere I did get to speak to director Don Hall and co-director and writer Qui Nguyen in an interview. We talked about Ethan's characteristics, making him gay,, Big Hero 6 and Strange World in Kingdom Hearts and creative influences. The video itself is mainly in German but the interview portion is in English of course. So feel free to jump directly to 1:15 for that part. :) (Or watch the whole thing and learn some German and watch some red carpet impressions and another interview with the German dubber of Meridian)

Not sure how to embed a video (or if I even can haha) so here's the YouTube link lol
Hope you like it!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDdPbX_Ax_k
Image Image Image Image Image
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Scott Mendelson said something interesting:
The failure of #StrangeWorld    is another sign that big-scale animated films, no matter the studio, are no longer automatic theatrical events. "That looks good, whatever" is no longer enough. We've not had a non-sequel toon top $500M since 'Boss Baby' and 'Coco' in 2017.

Disney's entire 2018/2019 animated output was sequels to 'Wreck-It Ralph,' 'Incredibles,' 'Toy Story' and 'Frozen.' Even before Covid, 'Onward' bombed. This could partially be Disney facing the new normal a few years behind schedule.

Does this mean 'Raya,' 'Soul' and 'Turning Red' would have flopped had they opened normally in non-Covid times? I dunno, but I get why Sony leased 'Mitchells vs. the Machines' and 'Vivo' to Netflix.

Beyond the IP-ificiation of pop culture, I'm wondering if it's not the same issue that plagued a slew of animated sequels (LEGO Movie 2, Angry Birds 2, Secret Life of Pets 2) in 2019. The first films were buzzy, four-quadrant hits. The sequels were 'just for kids.'

That's partially why Universal sent 'Trolls: World Tour' to PVOD, and why the lower grosses for 'Croods 2' and 'Boss Baby 2' weren't disastrous. Unless there's nostalgia ('How to Train Your Dragon 3') and marquee characters ('Frozen II'), adults don't show up.

The failure of 'LEGO Movie 2,' the struggles of original toons like 'Abominable' and now the challenges facing even big-budget Disney/Pixar animated films may stem from the mere fact that, as was the case before 1989, animated films are now considered 'just for kids.'

I still think a more adult-skewing gem like 'Soul' might have broken out. And obviously, some IP titles ('Despicable Me 4' 'Across the Spider-Verse,' 'Super Mario Bros.' etc.) can and likely will score huge next year. But, again, it's IP and marquee characters.

But (along with the other Disney+/Bob Chapek variables) the failure of #StrangeWorld    is partially about the big-budget animated film, in and of itself, no longer being a four-quadrant, "cool for adults too" theatrical "genre." It might not just be a Disney problem.
https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/stat ... ECxJA&s=19
blackcauldron85

Jäger-Rose wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:01 pm here's the YouTube link lol
Hope you like it!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDdPbX_Ax_k
Nice interview as always! Super cool you got to see it on the Disney lot! I agree with you about the great family dynamic.
Even before Covid, 'Onward' bombed.
That's not fair at all, as it was only out for a handful of days before lockdown.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Sotiris wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 am
carolinakid wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:14 amI even purchased Lightyear which I despised.
Why did you buy it then?
Up until Strange World, I collected every Disney/Pixar DVD release. I didn’t know i despised Lightyear until after I’d seen it.
Although, I wasn’t surprised I would hate it after reading the reviews....
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

How ‘Strange World’ Is Set to Lose $100 Million-Plus as Disney’s Biggest Animated Bomb in 20 Years
https://www.thewrap.com/strange-world-d ... -20-years/

Disney’s ‘Strange World’ to Lose $100 Million in Theatrical Run
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/disn ... 235442714/

‘Strange World’ To Lose $147M
https://deadline.com/2022/11/strange-wo ... 235182222/
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Ok, I might be pulling out my tin foil hat for this one, but I think that Scott Mendelson quote says a quite part out loud about the serious lack of marketing for this film. I think Disney is harpooning original theatrical-release animated projects so they can move them to Disney+, and making a case that only known successful animated franchise sequels should get a theatrical release. When Strange World hits Disney+, I think it will be viewed as performing better and therefor we'll see a case made to move original projects there.

It's a conspiracy theory that I can't prove, but we have seen Disney make odd/off decisions in the past and dramatic changes made soon after. I think back on the end of 2D animation. PatF was given to us because there was a growing movement among animators and fans to bring it back. It's not a perfect film, but it is a classic and has proven to be a successful franchise of its own. PatF was released a week before Avatar. We all knew Avatar was going to be big, and although PatF was #1 for the week prior (if memory is right) it was still regarded as a failure in the studio's eyes because it fell from the top spot once the beast that became Avatar rolled in. Winnie the Pooh was the next 2D project, it had hardly any marketing, it came and went and 2D was dead. Again Winnie has it's issues but I believe that they used PatF's "underperformance" to make changes and justify how they treated Winnie and thus make the endgame of moving to CG animation.

Strange World has it's faults, but there are far worse films that have performed better with the right marketing. Disney is fully aware of what it needs to do to market a film correctly. I think this film is another victim of Cheapek's poor business decision's in which he valued bottom line profits over creative control. It doesn't make much sense that the team behind this film made this film, until you weigh in outside influences. Although I did enjoy this film overall (I'll enjoy anything WDAS puts out), it has some serious problems that I completely understand from those of you who didn't like it. I just find it curious that Disney would release it in it's current state without seeing those problems themselves, so that makes me thing a bit of it is intentional. Maybe time will tell?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I think mega flops like these are sometimes needed for course correction at WDAS. Strange World is just not it.

So I think the minimal marketing campaign theory isn’t very far fetched.