Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:11 pmIf I'm not mistaken, the last time there was no song at the end credits was Dinosaur in 2000.
Wow, it's been that long, huh? Do you happen to know which other WDAS films had no songs at all during their end credits? The only other one that jumps to mind is The Rescuers Down Under, but there might be more.
D82 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:11 pmIt sounds like a cartoon theme song or a jingle to me. It reminds me a bit of Up's end credit song, "The Spirit of Adventure." It's a fun little song, but I don't know if Disney will even bother to submit it to the Oscars.
Yeah, I agree. Disney is not going to bother submitting it. It's not even catchy or memorable as far as radio/TV theme songs go. It's just annoying. This movie will have nothing redeeming about it, will it? :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Audience score from IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes:

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Maybe it's time for Don Hall to leave Disney. Most of the films he directed or wrote have not been profitable for the company or popular among fans.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:23 pm Wow, it's been that long, huh? Do you happen to know which other WDAS films had no songs at all during their end credits? The only other one that jumps to mind is The Rescuers Down Under, but there might be more.
Well, the first WDAS film to have end credits was The Black Cauldron, right? So the earlier movies don't count for this. That film didn't have any song. Apart from it and The Rescuers Down Under, I believe the only other ones are Oliver & Company and Fantasia 2000. Actually, the end of "Why Should I Worry" is still heard when the credits of Oliver & Company begin, but I don't think it counts as an end credit song. I didn't know that from memory, by the way. I had to check that movie up and also some of the films from the 2000s. The Rescuers Down Under had an end credit song in Spain, as I've mentioned in the past, but not in the latest home video editions, and what's more important, not in the original version, so it doesn't count either. I think it's only four films then. Strange World will be the fifth if, as it seems, it doesn't have any end credit song. So, yes, it's quite unusual for a WDAS not to have one.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I just checked and it has the lowest audience score since Chicken Little!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

In defense of this movie, audience ratings don’t mean much when we’re talking about a kid’s film with lgbtq representation. They’re bombed with negative reviews.

Same as how female led or all female films generally have lower ratings on both IMDB and rotten tomatoes audience score.

It’s better to just watch the film nowadays and determine for yourself. These websites have been manipulated both by studios and trolls with a political agenda.

Having said that it’s still probably an uneventful film.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree. Even in the worst case scenario for me of what I've thought this /could/ turn out to be like, nobody believes this movie is in the same realm as Chicken Little. At worst, it'll probably still be better than WIR, which makes it easier to conclude it's being review bombed because of a gay character. I would have been more likely to take a reasonable bad score as a sign of the film's quality being poor, but an extreme, "This is worse than Chicken Little!!!" Nah, that's the homophobia talking.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Box Office: Disney’s ‘Strange World’ Grosses Disappointing $800,000 in Previews
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/box- ... 235440770/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

For Disney Animation, Thanksgiving Weekend Is Now a Cry for Help
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/11/disne ... 234784950/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

💣💣💣
🦃🦃🦃
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This bombing and Iger returning feels like the perfect storm for a shake-up at WDAS.

The studio is celebrating 100 years and it has once again strayed from its tried and true formula. I know Wish is supposed to return things to fairytale lore but I’m not convinced yet.

The problem with Strange World is that anyone could have made this film. Sony, PIXAR, Dreamworks or Universal.

There’s nothing Disney about it. Even Treasure Planet and Atlantis were rooted in literature and mythology.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:52 am In defense of this movie, audience ratings don’t mean much when we’re talking about a kid’s film with lgbtq representation. They’re bombed with negative reviews.
That's why I only trust the verified audience ratings on Roten Tomatoes where you know people who reviewed it have actually watched the movie. That rating is currently at 61% which is not good. You can't blame that on review-bombing.
PatrickvD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:32 pmThe problem with Strange World is that anyone could have made this film. Sony, PIXAR, Dreamworks or Universal. There’s nothing Disney about it. Even Treasure Planet and Atlantis were rooted in literature and mythology.
Couldn't agree more. Comparing this to Treasure Planet or Atlantis is an insult to those films.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Farerb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:47 am For Disney Animation, Thanksgiving Weekend Is Now a Cry for Help
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/11/disne ... 234784950/
But it's unfair to compare anything Onward, well, onward, due to the pandemic. Plenty of people are avoiding theaters a) due to Covid still, and b) because of streaming.
Why would a family pay $10-$15 per ticket when in a month they'll get it included with their Disney+ subscription?

Strange World, Lightyear, Encanto, + Raya just can't make the #s Frozen II, Ralph, Coco, etc. did, due to Covid + Disney+. It's just a different marketplace for films now.

I know I like everything, but I for one have liked Don Hall's previous films.

I bet so many people were not aware that this film is already out. I thought Thursday would be opening night. So fingers crossed the numbers pick up and after Sunday night they'll have had a much higher audience number.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The new box office projection for the domestic opening weekend is $23-$27 million.
Strange World, as we thought, it falling below its $30M projection with $23M-$27M. Including previews, today looks like around $4.5M to $5M for that animated movie. Encanto last year had an opening day of $7.6M. Apparently, Strange World closed the gap on early matinees with Encanto, and hopefully that momentum continues.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office ... 235180803/
Leading them is Disney’s “Strange World” with a projected launch for the extended weekend of just $26 million. These Wednesday projections are still preliminary and the numbers could change over the weekend; but unless they do, “Strange World” risks becoming the first film from Walt Disney Animation Studios to earn a Fri.-Sun. opening of under $20 million since “Brother Bear” all the way back in 2003.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/thanksgiving-bo ... r-results/

I'm finding conflicting reports about the film's production budget.
With its $135 million budget, “Strange World” is shaping up to be an even bigger theatrical flop than “The Good Dinosaur”.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/strange-world-d ... ffice-run/
The soft initial numbers are bad news for “Strange World,” which carries a steep $180 million price tag.
Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/box- ... 235440770/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

SPOILERS GALORE

This post is so disorganized, stream of thoughts here, but here we go.

I didn't love this, although I did like it. But it was aptly very "strange," accurate title. The way the film opened with the song, the way scenes transitioned, the way it ended--I wouldn't say I loved all of it, but it couldn't help but feel refreshing after so long WDAS films have felt like products on an assembly line because of so much "same-iness" and lack of risk in PIXAR-esque fashion.

As far as the weirdness of the "world," I wonder why the advertising didn't focus more on the less ugly "creatures." All I remember being advertised were the dumb looking dinosaur/elephant-looking things (the ones that restore things in the movie), the pterodactyl-esque flying maroon things, and Splat (another design I'm not crazy about). The deer/gazelle-like creatures are much nicer to look at and then there was another one I can't quite remember right now. The focus on weirdly-designed creatures in the advertising as though we should be awed by them is sort of a hallmark of advertising I associate with flops, unfortunately (and I mean in terms of how they perform at the box office, not how I much like them or dislike them on a personal level)--Treasure Planet and A Wrinkle in Time are two films that I liked that did the same. There have been quite a few other live-action films that did the same thing from Disney with a similar result, too, although I can't name them all right off.

To the characters, I generally felt opposite about the various character designs than I expected going into it. Ethan's design was the one I liked on posters and so on, but in-film it didn't work for me. I mean, it did sometimes--but often his face was too bulge-y or smoosh-y (lol), and often very ugly to look at, tbh. The voice actor wasn't quite what I imagined for the character either. On the other hand, I did like Searcher a great deal. His design is cute even if I still dislike the cartooniness of the big noses; I think they did that just to force us to notice family traits in Searcher and Ethan by making them so pronounced (Ethan's eyes like the father and nose like the mother, Searcher's nose like his father's, etc.).

Meridian's design is still a bit bland to me, but I ended up liking the character. How bizarre was that kitchen dancing scene! :lol: I felt I had been wrong about not liking Callisto's design when the movie first started, but I ended up disliking it when she "changed" (showed up in the movie later with the braid). I definitely preferred her design in the opening when they were in the mountains. I thought Callisto (the character) was overall pretty bland as the movie went on. Meridian and Legend were both better characters than I expected in comparison; I didn't notice from the previews that the dog was missing a leg? Legend ended up having the funniest moments in the movie to me (other than Searcher's "And the giant eye must be the eye." :lol: ), I really thought he'd be a boring animal character, and he looked too much like Max from TLM to me. I guess Splat was a little better than I expected, too (I hated the cartoony design), but not as much as those two. I loved when we found out Splat was trying to lead Ethan to his death because Ethan came across pretty dumb to follow a random creature like that.

Anyway, I feel like I was right about Callisto to a degree. The turn when she locked them all in the closet had the feel of an early Twist Villain reveal that they pedaled back from, to the point she was just a temporary antagonist. The grandfather had some line during the card game that made me laugh, about how no villains is lazy storytelling. :lol: That whole argument felt like Disney fans v. Disney executives. They don't want us to have villains because they don't want to depict anyone as being fully bad yet it's unsatisfying that almost none of their new films have them.

I really liked Searcher as a character, too (not simply the design). He reminded me a bit of Tadashi and Benja--a healer, builder male personality--while having a bit more fire to him, as far as arguing most of the film with Jaeger. I liked Jaeger more than Ethan, too, actually... I don't know if anyone here has ever played Jak & Daxter, but Jaeger reminds me so much of the mayor in the first game of that franchise (from the mustache to the voice). They were definitely pulling from John Silver and Jim Hawkins for this film in different ways. The part where Jaeger decided to go back rather than finally crossing the mountains reminded me of Silver leaving the treasure at the end of that film. As far as Ethan, the only moments I really liked in the film involving him were the one where he tells Searcher he doesn't want to be like him (I thought that dialogue at least felt real), whenever he was saving Legend, and when they were playing the card game and the only thing that could stop Searcher and Jaeger from criticizing and judging one another was for them to gang up to criticize and judge Ethan. rotfl

The very ending panout to the planet gave me a WTF vibe what with the turtle they were living inside being so big you can see small details of its shape and everything from space. :lol:
blackcauldron85 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:05 pm I know I like everything, but I for one have liked Don Hall's previous films.
I looked up Don Hall, and, wow, he's been involved with a wide array of film types, hasn't he? My reaction to all the movies he's been involved with directing has been all over the map. Loved Raya, thought Moana was good if a touch bland, overall didn't like BH6, WtP and Strange World were okay. I'd throw Meet the Robinsons in that last category, too, since he wrote the screenplay for it. So really only BH6 did I dislike, and there were some scenes, characters, and moments that I liked about it at least.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:23 pmI'm finding conflicting reports about the film's production budget.
Sometimes production budget factors in marketing cost and other times it doesn’t. That may be why you are seeing those conflicting reports. Also, official production budgets are not usually known/shared outside of the studio.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

First time a WDAS film gets a "B" cinemascore.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

What score do they usually get?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:10 am What score do they usually get?
Between A- to A+. This is the lowest Cinemascore a WDAS film ever got, even Chicken Little got A-.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, I saw Strange World earlier today and I really enjoyed it. It was a fun, exciting and enjoyable film. It truly felt like a low-rent Atlantis, due to it`s similar premise and execution. It also had some similarities to Treasure Planet as well. I never found the story and the plot complicated, as it was very straight-forward and simple. The score by Henry Jackman was really good, as well as the visuals. Otherwise, it`s a pity that it`s most likely going to be a flop. Because it truly was a very good film that deserves a bigger success.