The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Post by estefan »

This appears to be a spoof made specifically for Hulu, so I doubt Disney will abandon the live-action "Hunchback of Notre Dame" adaptation, which is aimed at an entirely different audience.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Even if it wasn't satire, it'd be ridiculous to feel like the disney would be threatened in any way by this.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Plus this has already started filming and will probably be out at some point next year. Disney's live-action Hunchback is still in pre-production and probably won't start filming for a while. I don't expect that to release until at least 2024.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Another rumor by the DisInsider:

RUMOR: Disney’s Live-Action ‘Hunchback Of Notre Dame’ Still On Track, Headed To Disney+ Alongside ‘Lilo & Stitch’
https://thedisinsider.com/2022/08/31/ru ... lo-stitch/
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I think this could be Disney's first Best Picture winner if it used a lot of the stage show stuff, as long as they remember to show and not tell enough, which was the Papermill Playhouse production's problem, telling more than showing.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Hunchback is an epic, larger-than-life story that requires a big budget to do it justice and is best suited for the big screen. With Disney running out of popular animated movies to adapt for theaters, it's short-sighted to relagate this to Disney+.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:10 pm Hunchback is an epic, larger-than-life story that requires a big budget to do it justice and is best suited for the big screen. With Disney running out of popular animated movies to adapt for theaters, it's short-sighted to relagate this to Disney+.
Agreed. And why pushing Lilo & Stitch to Disney+? It was the first post-Renaissance hit and should`ve had an Theatrical release.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:10 pm Hunchback is an epic, larger-than-life story that requires a big budget to do it justice and is best suited for the big screen. With Disney running out of popular animated movies to adapt for theaters, it's short-sighted to relagate this to Disney+.
Seconded!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Not gonna lie, I think they should send all of these remakes to Disney+. I think they're fine enough for the novelty of seeing these films as live-action, but I really don't like them apart from that.

Most of them are devastatingly disappointing, to the point that I try to ignore their existence all together. The ones I do prefer are the ones who take the basics of the tale, but make their own interpretation... albeit some still manage to screw that up (looking at you Mulan). The ones that follow the originals beat for beat and use the same music (but with a new arrangement, ala The Lion King) are duds in my opinion.

I'm just not holding up much hope for Hunchback. I think the animated classic is absolutely stunning and one of the best in Disney's cannon, and like in the past with Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King it'll be near impossible to out-do their prior work.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think it's sadly more than obvious at this point that these films are more cash grabs than a want/need to artistically produce these stories in a new way.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Hunchback isn't one of their big movies. It makes more sense to send it to Disney+ than L&tT or Pinocchio even, tbh. Lilo & Stitch, on the other hand, now that one could've been a decent success at theaters. I expect Hercules will also be sent to Disney+.

The most important question is...will Quasimodo have superpowers now? Or maybe it makes more sense to give that to Esmeralda since Frollo thinks she's a witch anyway--a protagonist with magic powers makes total sense for this story! And why didn't the Pinocchio remake make Pinocchio magical since he is a puppet after all--why even include the Blue Fairy when he could make himself human instead?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:06 am Hunchback isn't one of their big movies. It makes more sense to send it to Disney+ than L&tT or Pinocchio even, tbh.
Hunchback isn't one of their most popular movies, but if they did the story justice and with the gravitas the original had, it would make more sense to release it to theaters. ;)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:06 am Hunchback isn't one of their big movies. It makes more sense to send it to Disney+ than L&tT or Pinocchio even, tbh. Lilo & Stitch, on the other hand, now that one could've been a decent success at theaters. I expect Hercules will also be sent to Disney+.

By saying "one of their big movies", do you mean the overall reception and fanbase?
The most important question is...will Quasimodo have superpowers now? Or maybe it makes more sense to give that to Esmeralda since Frollo thinks she's a witch anyway--a protagonist with magic powers makes total sense for this story! And why didn't the Pinocchio remake make Pinocchio magical since he is a puppet after all--why even include the Blue Fairy when he could make himself human instead?
Well sorry, most likely it`s not going to happen! Remember that besides the Gargoyles (and Esmeralda`s magical tricks), there`s very practically nothing in Hunchback that`s rooted in fantasy. So I`ll doubt that Quasi or Esmeralda will have superpowers beyond humanity.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFan09, you didn't get the joke. Disney's Divinity was being sarcastic, because the merpeople are given superpowers in The Little Mermaid live-action, which he thinks is a stupid idea, and is right.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Well in all fairness, kingdom hearts also gave Ariel some magical abilities In lightning/thunder spells that you also get from her
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, it was tongue-in-cheek.
Patricier21 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:38 pm Well in all fairness, kingdom hearts also gave Ariel some magical abilities In lightning/thunder spells that you also get from her
Yeah, but that was a videogame. All the Disney characters have spells to fight with that are based off RPG spells.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:11 pm DisneyFan09, you didn't get the joke. Disney's Divinity was being sarcastic, because the merpeople are given superpowers in The Little Mermaid live-action, which he thinks is a stupid idea, and is right.
Okay. Sorry.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:49 amOkay. Sorry.
Oh, it's ok. I was just letting you know what he meant by what he said.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Josh Gad posted this on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqCHuPfLYlz ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Edit: he clarified this is only a fancast and not real:
https://twitter.com/joshgad/status/1638 ... rbafw&s=19
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad to hear they have a great script in case it does happen one day.