The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I loved Coster-Waldau on GOT, and he even certainly fits the archetype... but isn’t he a little old? He’s pushing 50. I guess my comfort level on this is very dependent on who is cast as Esmeralda.

On a side note, I have always loved Demi Moore’s performance in Hunchback. She has a kind of voice atypical for a Disney heroine, but perfect for her part.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I remember people have often said that Jaime Lannister could easily play the role of Phoebus so I'd be happy with this. I'm quite curious as to who Esmeralda will be cast as. I remember there was a lot of speculation way back when the live-action remakes were first starting to be announced that Priyanka Chopra would be a good choice to play her.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I loved Coster-Waldau on GOT, and he even certainly fits the archetype... but isn’t he a little old? He’s pushing 50.
You're right. I don't think these rumors are true. Both he and Alexander Skarsgård, who the same site said was being considered for the Hercules remake, seem a bit old for their respective roles. Has that news website posted things in the past that have turned out to be true? I don't remember it right now.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:I loved Coster-Waldau on GOT, and he even certainly fits the archetype... but isn’t he a little old? He’s pushing 50.
You're right. I don't think these rumors are true. Both he and Alexander Skarsgård, who the same site said was being considered for the Hercules remake, seem a bit old for their respective roles. Has that news website posted things in the past that have turned out to be true? I don't remember it right now.
The classical version of Hercules is much older though so Alexander Skarsgård would be a bit of a middle-ground between that version and the Disney version since he has a youthful look to him.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

D82 wrote:
I wouldn't put stock on any non-trade website getting Disney cast news right. Not a single one has currently predicted any of the "Little Mermaid" castings (remember how scoopers kept insisting Zendaya was a lock for Ariel?). Why would they be in the know on "Hunchback" and "Hercules" castings? Especially this early in their development.

The only actor confirmed at this point is Josh Gad, which was revealed by Deadline, an actual reputable trade news source.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The classical version of Hercules is much older though so Alexander Skarsgård would be a bit of a middle-ground between that version and the Disney version since he has a youthful look to him.
Yes, he still looks quite young, but I think Disney would choose someone younger for the role.
estefan wrote:I wouldn't put stock on any non-trade website getting Disney cast news right. Not a single one has currently predicted any of the "Little Mermaid" castings (remember how scoopers kept insisting Zendaya was a lock for Ariel?). Why would they be in the know on "Hunchback" and "Hercules" castings? Especially this early in their development.

The only actor confirmed at this point is Josh Gad, which was revealed by Deadline, an actual reputable trade news source.
Yes, I know sites like Deadline or The Hollywood Reporter are the only ones that are really trustworthy, but some small websites also obtain info from insiders every once in a while. One of them at least got it right that they were looking for a black actress for the role of Ariel, for instance. But there are also many sites that just publish fake news.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

D82 wrote:Yes, I know sites like Deadline or The Hollywood Reporter are the only ones that are really trustworthy, but some small websites also obtain info from insiders every once in a while. One of them at least got it right that they were looking for a black actress for the role of Ariel, for instance. But there are also many sites that just publish fake news.
See, I'm often suspicious of these "insiders." Disney is famous for their ironclad NDAs (even Kevin Smith had to sign an extensive one when J.J. Abrams invited him to the "Star Wars" set). What employee would be willing to risk their job by talking to small blog scoopers? If I worked for Disney and was aware of project developments not yet announced to the public, I would keep my mouth shut for fear of facing Mickey's wrath.

I think a lot of these scoops that happen originate from a game of broken telephone. A classic "I heard from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so that..." situation. Which is how you get fabricated "scoops" like the Country Bears thing and the live-action Atlantis thing.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:I think a lot of these scoops that happen originate from a game of broken telephone. A classic "I heard from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so that..." situation. Which is how you get fabricated "scoops" like the Country Bears thing and the live-action Atlantis thing.
Yeah, that's very likely. Personally, I don't completely dismiss the news that come from sites that have proven they have inside info, but I always take them with a grain of salt.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Stephen Schwartz talks about the state of the remake in a new interview:
There's slightly less exciting news about the rumoured live-action remake of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, however, as Schwartz told Digital Spy that he doesn't know where that project is currently at.

"I know that they are talking about it," he explained. "But to be perfectly honest, I know nothing about it. I haven't seen a script. I have no idea where it stands. So I know nothing about the extent to which that is actually moving forward or not."
Source: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3097 ... ed-update/
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Incredibly disappointing news. :( Disney's remaking every animated film under the sun except for the ones they deserve it and would benefit from it the most.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I wish they would give this film precedence over TLM or Snow White. Certainly hope they don't focus their attention on Bambi instead.
ImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I am REALLY REALLY worried they will axe Victor , Hugo and Laverne. :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I REALLY REALLY HOPE that's NOT THE CASE !! :P
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Considering how the American musical scrapped them (and even the German musical altered the gargoyles' names and personalities), I think it's highly unlikely we'll see the gargoyles.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Hopefully, this means the project will move forward soon.
Don is currently producing a live-action version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame for Disney. He’s seen the stage version, which offers a very different experience from the animated film, and loves it. It’s important to Don Hahn that these stories get retold in ways that stay relevant for the current generation in the same way that Walt Disney took fairytales and updated them for his time. He doesn’t want to simply remake the film, but approach it from an angle that will resonate more with today’s audiences.
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ter-hours/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like the sound of that. Hopefully he finds the perfect way to do it between the original film and the stage show.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think this will be a borr because it will probably be really dark and serious and not much fun !" :x :( :( :( :( :cry:
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I still hope aginest hope that they keep the talking gargoyles in this versin !! :( :(

Maybe Betty White and Kelsey Grammer as Victor and Laverne :D :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Josh Gad said on Twitter that the remake's getting closer to happening.

https://twitter.com/joshgad/status/1353184251118669825
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Menken: Now there’s a discussion about a live-action film with Hunchback. And that’s [sighs] exciting and problematic. We have to, once again, wade into the troubled waters of “What is Disney’s movie version of Hunchback?” Especially now.

Jason Alexander: Live action could work because the vast majority of characters are human. The story of an actual human who is in some ways less abled and who is defined by how he looks, rather than his heart and character, is timely and important, to say the least.

Kirk Wise: I imagine if there were a live-action adaptation, it would skew more towards the stage version. That’s just my guess.

Stephen Schwartz: I think it would lend itself extremely well to a live-action movie, particularly if they use the stage show as the basis. I think the stage show is fantastic.

Don Hahn: It’s very visual. It’s got huge potential because of its setting and the drama, and the music. It’s pretty powerful, so it makes sense to remake that movie. I think we will someday.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/hunchback-of- ... l-history/
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Sotiris wrote:Josh Gad said on Twitter that the remake's getting closer to happening.

https://twitter.com/joshgad/status/1353184251118669825
Good lord,
I still can't believe he's involved in it.
I mean, I'm sure he's a nice fella but I can't stand him in Beauty And The Beast and to me he's the worst part of that film (and I do like that version).
I can't stand him in Frozen II either and I only tolerate him in the original one because his screen time is limited.
Aside from Josh, I can't wait to know more about this project as I am a huge fan of both the novel and the Disney version.I also really hope that Fleur-De-Lys will appear in the film or at least have some sort of cameo as she is never used in any media aside from that Goodtimes version of the story (and the French musical).