The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Post by carolinakid »

I wonder how much race/ethnic/sex swapping will occur in 15th century Paris? I can just hear them now...”A French hunchback can be of any race! Esmeralda is from the Asian branch of Romani. Phoebus is now a lesbian named Phoebe.” .... And so it continues...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It doesn't matter. I don't think The Hunchback of Notre Dame aligns with Disney's "brand" nowadays, so I don't think they plan to remake it.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Well, if that’s the case, Farerb, thank G-d for small favors! 🙏🏽
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

carolinakid wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:19 amPhoebus is now a lesbian named Phoebe.”
:lol:
Attachments
FaceApp_1679399836667.jpg
FaceApp_1679399836667.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Jules, you’re a hoot! 😂 (And DON’T give them any ideas!)😉
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I couldn't resist! Your "Phoebe" suggestion made me laugh out loud. It's fun being silly from time to time! :)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think this one will still be re-made, but will be Disney+ only.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Alan Menken Shares Update on Live-Action Hunchback of Notre Dame Movie (Exclusive)
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/alan- ... interview/

This week, ComicBook.com had the chance to chat with Menken about The Little Mermaid and we asked if the Hunchback movie was still happening.

"I have no idea," Menken admitted. "It's a tough one, because the Hunchback movie, Hunchback story involves a lot of real, real issues that are important issues and should be explored to be discussed. And there has to be an agreement about how we deal with those issues. You know, do we do a Hunchback without 'Hellfire?' I don't think so ... So it sits in this limbo right now, but the Hercules movie is apparently underway and I got some inklings of what's going on, but just some, and I've been more involved with the Broadway show off of Hercules, which is coming, and it's really exciting."
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This movie is never going to be made. It's too risque for Disney nowadays.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:28 pm This movie is never going to be made. It's too risque for Disney nowadays.
So would Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers be considered risqué for Disney with their portrayal of Peter Pan and mutilated cartoon characters in the movie and that went on to be an Emmy Award-winning, critical, decent ratings-wise hit for Disney+
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:35 pm I think this one will still be re-made, but will be Disney+ only.
Disney+ lost a lot of money last year, I think they are pivoting back to theatrical stuff now that covid has diminished, and this movie really does demand the budget of a theatrical release.

And honestly I think it does still happen, it'll just take a while for them to figure out how to tackle the material tastefully. But I think they're dead set on live actioning every 90s hit they had, for better or worse.
Disney's Divinity

I don't know about Pocahontas though, they probably won't touch that one. They don't want to feed the fire that much. Which is a shame, I think a more serious film rhat was more historically accurate could still work with the soundtrack.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I'm not sure historically accurate would even appeal to fans of the original all that much. The real story was messed up and a bummer. They took something that happened and twisted it into something else entirely. For that reason I kinda thing they should just ignore what really happened and adapt their own take on it. It would still be changed of course, to go deeper, but if you're looking for age accuracy or other things I don't think they go that route for the same reason they don't use the original mermaid story on their new mermaid movie.

Of course the whole being based on a historical person aspect does put the whole idea of this movie happening at all, , into a probably not gonna happen category,I agree, but they could surprise us.
Woodrow Pride
Limited Issue

Post by Woodrow Pride »

Honestly, I wouldn’t be sad if they made a Pocahontas remake; it seems like it would really work live-action. Although, a historically accurate film wouldn’t make that much sense because the film derives a ton from history. I mean, John Smith and Pocahontas were never actually romantically involved, which is pretty much the core of the story, right? I’d think it’d probably be too much of a headache to figure those kinds of things out that Disney just won’t do it. Plus, portraying Native Americans is a little risky in itself, because if they do anything wrong, they will be roasted.
"You're my favorite deputy!"
Disney's Divinity

I guess I was thinking that the in-film version of "If I Never Knew You" was only released years later, it wasn't in the original release. The soundtrack as most people know it would still work without a romance.
Disney's Divinity

I had been thinking the other day who could play Frollo (based on looks more than anything else). I actually think Joaquin Phoenix would be a good Frollo, although he'd have to cut any facial hair for the role. He has a sort of wooden face like Frollo. Of course, he recently played an iconic villain in Joker, but Frollo is almost the opposite of Joker, and Phoenix is a very strong actor to pull off the depth of the character.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler wrote:It is still mindful to take it with a grain of salt, but now that Bob Iger is back in the driver's seat it is highly unlikely that the project will move forward as Iger is not the biggest fan of Hunchback of Notre Dame and a remake isn't in their list of priorities. Now things can obviously change, but this is the most recent information we have on the project.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Ht-cmFFtE
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Honestly, good, with how The Little Mermaid barely broke even and how Snow White is no longer guaranteed to be a hit, we don’t need anymore live-action remakes.
Disney's Divinity

This one would've only ever been a Disney+ exclusive anyway.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Great. Now all we need is for them to get bored with their "Moana" remake, and then this train might finally die.

This is obviously taking a lot for granted, but with Elemental summersaulting into one of their surprise hits for this year, is there some sliver of a chance that Disney might start to prioritize non-IP films as their tentpoles?