The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Post by Kyle »

It was already confirmed...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Was it? He just strongly hinted at it but we didn't get official confirmation. Technically, this isn't official confirmation either, but it's safe to say at this point that Josh Gad has the role.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I have no idea who the two men in between Josh Gad and Alan Menken are but I guess this basically confirms Josh Gad's involvement.
They are David Henry Hwang and David Hoberman, the screenwriter and the producer, respectively. I didn't know who they were either, but their names appear on the article that announced the film's production. Josh Gad hasn't been confirmed as the lead yet, he appears in the photo because he's one of the film's producers.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm happy if Josh Gad is very likely to have the role. That would be perfect casting.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I didn't realize Josh Gad was a producer as well. I still think it's likely he is the lead actor too, and I'd be quite happy with that. It's a different role from what he usually plays, but I can totally see him doing it justice and I love seeing him in Disney works. It might get the Frozen fandom reason to watch Hunchback as well and boost the box office numbers lol. And anyway, he starred in the last live-action remake set in France, so there's the spirit of continuity as well. :lol:
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Alan Menken talks a bit about the remake in a new interview. He also discusses the possibility of remaking Pocahontas:
The composer went on to clarify the next Disney live-action remakes which are in the works: "They're developing Hunchback, which will be complicated because there are dark aspects to that which we're going to have to navigate."

Speaking of complications with updating some of his back catalogue of Disney films, he went on to speak frankly about those which would be problematic to remake for modern audiences.

"I don't know if we'll ever be able to do Pocahontas, I think that story is going to be difficult. With modern sensibilities, it'd be hard – you're going to offend somebody – so I don't know," Menken explained.
Disney's Divinity

I would think the live-action film would be darker than the animated film.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Instead of navigating dark aspects...how about embrace them?
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I'm guessing this will land somewhere between the original and the stage show in terms of tone. I think if they do it straight for Disney+ that might give them the freedom to go a bit darker.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The live-action films are purely commercial products designed to appeal to all ages. I really don't expect that the remake for this will be any darker than the original.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

ChrisLyne wrote:I'm guessing this will land somewhere between the original and the stage show in terms of tone. I think if they do it straight for Disney+ that might give them the freedom to go a bit darker.
I hope it receives a theatrical release, personally... But, yes, I would like if it borrowed heavily from the stage show, particularly Esmeralda's death.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I really want them to keep Victor, Hugo and Laverne in this remake ! I liked them.

But i think in this remake they should make them less silly and they should only exist in Quasimodo's mind.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote:I really want them to keep Victor, Hugo and Laverne in this remake ! I liked them.

But i think in this remake they should make them less silly and they should only exist in Quasimodo's mind.
I agree. I don't mind the gargoyles being there as long as they acknowledge they're only in Quasi's mind.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, I always thought that Pocahontas had a better chance of getting a remake than Hunchback. Regardless of it's own controversy (and po-faced nature), at least Pocahontas doesn't have the radical and sexual undertones and that Hunchback had, so therefore it could be more appliable.
Yet what hampers Pocahontas is that it didn't have the crowdpleasing appeal that Disney usually has, so therefore it's less likely to be a candidate for being adapted.

But truth to be told, I've would loved if Disney actually dared to give Pocahontas a remake shot.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Alan Menken has mentioned the movie again in a new interview:
Well, “Hunchback” is at the very starting gate. I haven’t even seen a first draft of anything, script-wise. I have questions about it. What are we going to be able to put into a live-action version of “Hunchback” that will still go under the name Disney? That becomes a question that will be hard to answer without specifics.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:To be honest, I always thought that Pocahontas had a better chance of getting a remake than Hunchback. Regardless of it's own controversy (and po-faced nature), at least Pocahontas doesn't have the radical and sexual undertones and that Hunchback had, so therefore it could be more appliable.
Yet what hampers Pocahontas is that it didn't have the crowdpleasing appeal that Disney usually has, so therefore it's less likely to be a candidate for being adapted.

But truth to be told, I've would loved if Disney actually dared to give Pocahontas a remake shot.
Pocahontas is too politically incorrect which is a shame, because I'd love to see it remade as well. Q'orianka Kilcher would have been my first choice for the role but I'm not sure Disney would consider her young enough anymore, plus she's technically already played Pocahontas before so they might not want to draw parallels with Terrence Malick's film.

Interestingly enough, back when BATB and TLK first came out on Broadway, Pocahontas was the next choice to receive a stage adaptation. For whatever reason that never occurred, and I wonder if it was the political and social implications that have debarred the chance of it getting a remake now.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Deadline reported at the beginning of the year that Disney was developing the remake, to be titled simply Hunchback, with Josh Gad attached as producer. This led many to theorize that the Beauty and the Beast actor may also play the lead. Well, We Got This Covered has been told that this is indeed the likely scenario.

On the other hand, we’ve also heard who Disney is eyeing for another key role: Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is being considered for the part of Captain Phoebus. In the 1997 animated film, Phoebus – ally to Quasimodo and love interest of Esmeralda – was voiced by Kevin Kline. Coster-Waldau would certainly be a good fit for a tougher iteration of the character, perhaps slightly closer to the darker version from the original novel and other adaptations.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/gam ... me-remake/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, at least we've got some news. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is extremely warm and likable and would've been a nice Phoebus.
Disney's Divinity

With Gad and Coster-Waldau, this cast’s already off to a great start. Hopefully they’ll find actors equally good for Esmeralda and especially Frollo and Clopin/the Narrator.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Really good choice. :up: I wouldn't mind seeing other GOT actors in these Disney properties, like Peter Dinklage or Emilia Clarke (in a genuine Disney film). Even Maisie Williams or Sophie Turner would work.