Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Costume designer Sandy Powell talks about the film in two recent interviews:
BTL: It’s cool that you also did Snow White, as I’ve known Marc Webb for quite some time. Did you have to recreate costumes like Snow White’s iconic outfit from the original animated movie?

Powell: I don’t know how much we can talk about this, but it’s not about recreating something from the original. Obviously, there is a nod to the original, and the character has to be recognizable as Snow White, but it’s a new version. In the same way as I did Cinderella, it’s a nod to the original animation everybody knows, but it’s the new version. But it couldn’t be [a] more polar opposite to Living, with a six-week prep. I mean, that was 10 months of my life, and we made every single costume you see in the film, and there are thousands of extras, and every single costume, every single thing was made for all the principals and so it was fabulous. I mean, it’s a luxurious amount of time to actually get something done, and it’s great to be able to do that. I mean, I love designing and making everything from scratch, and that’s what I was able to do.
Source: https://www.btlnews.com/awards/sandy-po ... interview/

And I suppose it’s not like they just need one or two outfits, some of these films are two hours long.

In ‘The Irishman’ Robert De Niro had at least 50 changes. It might have been more actually – I’m bad with remembering numbers like that. But then there’s other ones, like the film I’m doing currently, ‘Snow White’, and she’s only got … No, I’d better not say, but it’s very few looks. I treat fairy tale films like children’s picture books where the main characters wear the same thing all the way through so that the kids know who they are throughout the film. But then you get stories like ‘The Irishman’ which is set over several decades, and then within those decades, years, months, weeks and days they’ve got to keep changing their clothes so that we know that the time is moving.
Source: https://blog.cutlerandgross.com/2022/08 ... dy-powell/
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

That is all very interesting! I always wondered why Cinderella only had four looks in her movie. But I heard the Queen got so many different looks. It's just like how the stepfamily in Cinderella had so many looks. She doesn't feel kids have trouble recognizing, or a need to recognize, the villains?! :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Also, in Mary Poppins Returns, Mary Poppins has several outfits. But they have a similar silhouette at least, so I guess that also makes the character recognizable. I think the main reason Snow White will have few looks is that a big part of the film will be about her fighting to regain the kingdom, and she'll probably wear pants or an armour for most of the movie.

By the way, here's yet another interview with Sandy Powell, though she doesn't reveal much new in it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yeah, you're right about Mary Poppins! I wonder if she thought even though that film is for children to be able to enjoy, it's a little more for adults than Cinderella or Snow White, thus those costumes.

Thanks for finding another interview! I enjoyed the part you marked it at!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:24 am Oh, yeah, you're right about Mary Poppins! I wonder if she thought even though that film is for children to be able to enjoy, it's a little more for adults than Cinderella or Snow White, thus those costumes.
Well, maybe you're right about that.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

So...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TxoXWqBCIg

When you hear about this stuff, you understand why the Disney execs make the choices they're currently making.

Some of you would reply that this has nothing to do with the Snow White remake while I believe it has A LOT to do with it.
The times we live in are confusing to put it mildly and that’s why I barely post on this site anymore even though I have some real affection for it.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Thank you, Megyn, for highlighting this.
And gracias, Red, for posting this.
Our precious 1st Amemdment is being slowly dismantled, and so many people, especially our younger generation, seem to be okay with that, judging from the comments I read.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

About "Some Day My Prince Will Come"--not to feed the fires just by bringing the song up, since I don't think it's going anywhere--I was thinking today that I doubt Zegler's version will be a patch on Barbra Streisand's version. :P When I heard that on the Platinum DVD years ago (one of my first DVD purchases), it was the first time I really liked the song. I mean, all the songs in SW are fine, I didn't hate them or anything growing up, but I was never overly fond of SW's voice, I admit. The way Streisand sings the song is just beautiful though.

Anyway, I thought they could possibly have Zegler sing it as a song that plays over a scene(s) or over the credits in a similar structure as the Streisand version.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This seems highly hypocritical of Zegler given how she has expressed nothing but disdain for the character as portrayed in the original film.

Source: https://twitter.com/rachelzegler/status ... 5366037505
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Maybe it’s because I’m not on Twitter and don’t understand the point of the platform but what is she even saying? She’s sorry she’s sobbing her eyes out? I bet she wrote that tweet while displaying no specific visible emotion.

She sounds like a drama queen. Or maybe Twitter incentivizes users to write nonsense to stay relevant and engaged?

Either way, kids have been dressing up as Snow White for decades. She sounds like she’s making that about her now. Rachel, your movie isn’t out yet ok.

Sorry I’m salty today.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I can’t stand her...pronouns and all!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I've found her unlikable in the past, but I thought that comment was pretty innocent? Yeah, Twitter sucks entirely.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:21 pmMaybe it’s because I’m not on Twitter and don’t understand the point of the platform but what is she even saying?
She's saying she gets emotional whenever she sees kids dressed up as Snow White. But why? They aren't dressing up as her version of the character given there's not even a trailer out for her movie yet and she's previously expressed she doesn't respect the original character and considers it a bad role model for little girls. So, this comment of hers doesn't make any sense.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:38 pm
PatrickvD wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:21 pmMaybe it’s because I’m not on Twitter and don’t understand the point of the platform but what is she even saying?
She's saying she gets emotional whenever she sees kids dressed up as Snow White. But why? They aren't dressing up as her version of the character given there's not even a trailer out for her movie yet and she's previously expressed she doesn't respect the original character and considers it a bad role model for little girls. So, this comment of hers doesn't make any sense.
Yeah what I thought. Social media fuels narcissism. Classic case of ‘how can I make this about me’.

She’s a great actress and singer. I wish new talent like her could stay more humble. Just get off Twitter… ugh. So off putting.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Not all people use twitter to make deep and profound statements about themselves. They literally just post a thought they had. Although I understand how interpretations vary, I'm not convinced she thought that much into it. I read it as someone trying to share that she might be proud that the character is shown so much love. Not unlike any face character might be excited to be "friends" with a princess in the parks.

In the end of it, I'm not that much concerned about her personally but how well she plays the character on screen. These movies are a flash in the pan compared to the legacy of their films and the characters they're portraying. So much like all the other live-action remakes, a year after the film comes we wont even care anymore. :roll:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yes. I don't think I have watched a remake more than once or twice.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I’ve really come to the conclusion after agreeing with your comments about their “legacy” that these remakes are nothing more than a cash grab by Disney. That seems to be how the company is run these days. I may be naive and I know he was a capitalist ( not that there’s anything wrong with that, imo) but I like to think that Walt thought he was making art and something that was meant for the ages. I don’t get that feeling about contemporary Disney.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

In a new interview, Rachel Zegler reveals Snow White's big "I Want" song in the remake is a new song titled "Waiting on a Wish". She starts talking about Snow White at around the 10:35 minute mark of this podcast (via Disney Live-Actions Brasil).

Part of what she said is featured in this article:
As a Hunger Games fan, Zegler seems just as excited for the finished movie as she is for the role. “If I were sitting at home, having read Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, I would be so thankful that, 13 years later, I’m still getting a new Hunger Games movie,” she says. “No matter what they do with it, I’m just gonna love it.”

That’s how Zegler feels with Snow White too—her mother’s favorite Disney movie. Considering her closeness to her mom, there’s no world where she wouldn’t audition for the role. Now when Zegler goes to Disney World, she’s overcome with emotion seeing little kids dressed as Snow White. In fact, she can’t help but burst into tears when she spots them. In very “mirror, mirror on the wall” fashion, when Zegler looks at the children so connected to Snow White that they want to embody the fictional princess, she sees herself reflected back to her. Zegler was that kid. “I was just a kid who was singing at people’s weddings to make money,” she says. “Your dreams are so possible, and you don’t even know that they are. You have no idea what you’re manifesting in your childhood. My message has always been kindness first, and that is something that Snow White was really a beacon of when the cartoon first came out.”

As Snow White once said, “Remember, you are the one who can fill the world with sunshine.”
Source: https://www.whowhatwear.co.uk/rachel-zegler/slide4

In another interview, she comments on the leaked photos of her in the Snow White dress:
I did get paparazzied, and it was terrifying. I was like in the woods, in London, and all of a sudden a guy with a camera pops put, and I was like, ‘What are YOU doing here?’ And I was just chilling with my… I was wearing UGG boots, I was listening to music … and like, I had clips in my hair. I didn’t look very Disney Princess at all. But I was wearing the dress. And when I see kids in that dress, I just can’t. It’s so amazing. It’s such an amazing thing.
Source: https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/ ... hite-dress
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I was actually excited at first to see her in this part, but after reading what she has to say about the original, and seeing how full of herself she is, I'm kinda losing all the excitement. I will definitely watch this for Gal Gadot though. That leaked photo of her in the costume was okay, I liked how the costume resembled the original character's design.
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:04 am I was actually excited at first to see her in this part, but after reading what she has to say about the original, and seeing how full of herself she is, I'm kinda losing all the excitement. I will definitely watch this for Gal Gadot though. That leaked photo of her in the costume was okay, I liked how the costume resembled the original character's design.
My thoughts exactly. I liked her in the costume, but she's very "off-putting" in the interviews. Will watch for Gal!