Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by carolinakid »

It sounds like she has no love or respect for the original classic. It sounds like it’s just an old cartoon to her. I think this is going to be a bomb. At least I know I won’t be contributing one cent.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

carolinakid wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pmIt sounds like she has no love or respect for the original classic. It sounds like it’s just an old cartoon to her.
I have to agree. It sounds like she hates the character and the movie. Say what you will about the decision to race-switch Ariel, but at least Halle never attacked the original. In fact, she always says how much she loves the film and what an honor it is to play Ariel.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think it'll do okay as long as the Dwarfs are still in it, which I think they are considering one actor was hired anyway. The outfits and everything at least look pretty faithful unlike TLM, even if some story decisions are not. I don't think I'll see it in theaters though, but I am interested in seeing it for Gal Gadot and the new P&P songs. Probably the first day it appears on Disney+.

But I agree with you on Zegler v. Bailey, Sotiris. Zegler seems like a jerk stirring for drama with all her comments whereas Bailey is a sweetheart. Still, I think this film will be better than the Little Mermaid remake and Mulan 2020, although that's not necessarily a recommendation. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Disney began with Snow White and ends with Snow White?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I don't like the way Rachel talks about the original either. She admitted she only watched it once during her childhood and then a second time to prepare for this role, so it's probably true she's not a big fan of it. It's OK if she isn't and it's OK to defend the changes made for the remake, but I think she should show a bit more respect for it. Especially, since the film she's promoting is from the same company and she wouldn't have had the opportunity to play this character if the original didn't exist.

By the way, in the same interview I posted a link to, they talk about the film's costumes and Gal Gadot says she has 7 or 8 different outfits in the movie. That's a lot more than in the original where the Queen had only one (two if we count the old hag's clothes). Another thing that caught my attention from the video is that Rachel Zegler had a very short audition process.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I believe this interview with Rachel Zegler hadn't been posted either:
"Most of my character does not work for today's audience, I'll just say it," Zegler — who plays the lead princess in the movie opposite Gal Gadot as the Evil Queen — told PEOPLE at the D23 Expo on Friday, comparing their new version to the original. "We did a really deep dive into fixing and making a modern woman out of Snow White."

She and the filmmakers set out to "make a new version of the character."

"I think she's 13 in the original cartoon, so we started there and said, 'No, she's 18 in this one.' She's a bit more independent," Zegler, 21, continues. "She's also living in grief. I mean, there was a lot of complex emotion that we decided to deep-dive into. And understanding what it's like to be a teenager on top of all that."

The actress adds, "It was really incredible to watch the cartoon and see, there's no more waiting for a man, which is really nice. So a little bit more agency. We really see the journey she goes to become a really just and wonderful leader."

Zegler admits she feels "pressure" taking on the iconic role: "I can't seem to stop taking on things that are a lot of pressure. It's really bad for me. But I mean, after doing West Side Story and feeling that pressure for a really long time, I kind of felt aptly prepared for taking on something like Snow White."

She adds, "I had the best time, and I do feel that pressure creep in every now and then when I see little girls dressed as her, but I also think that it's something that's so important to see."
Source: https://people.com/movies/rachel-zegler ... exclusive/
Disney's Divinity

That makes sense to me. Where Snow White was the first feature, a lot of that character just feels sparce, almost like a short character (such as Betty Boop). Like she said, SW should be feeling something, whether it's grief or tiredness or sadness, she largely seems like she's not even human except when she's screaming at the trees. :lol: Being aged up was pretty much non-negotiable, it was going to at least be to 16 (they went with 18), and that can't help but make the character a little different, since she wouldn't be quite as child-like at that age. That said, I hope they won't go overboard and have her be like, I don't know, a warrior type, that wouldn't suit the character at all. And moreover, it would make this film too much of a copycat of Mirror, Mirror or Snow White and the Huntsman. They can make her strong while also not being a fighter type, sort of like Cinderella in the best versions of that story--there are different ways of being "strong."
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I think Snow White has a LOT of personality! I guess it’s to each his own!🤷🏻‍♂️

Although I adore her. Aurora is the princess I feel I know the least personality wise.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I agree that Snow White does have personality, but it's through history's lenses. It takes some reading between the lines to get a grip around her. At the time, it wouldn't have been entertaining, let alone a topic for the family, to address the obvious trauma Snow White endured. In that way, her endurance and persistent sweetness is a very admirable quality. I think it's also notable to acknowledge that she was a young girl primarily produced by grown men... which made it difficult to produce any relatable woman let alone Snow White.

You're right on Aurora though, she might as well be a cardboard cut-out. :lol: Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney film though, so I say its just because we spend so little time with her awake in the film. I've always found it jarring to see her animated in other projects or interact with her character in the parks though, because we get so much more character. I guess I just expect her to be pretty and nothing else.
Disney's Divinity

I always think of Aurora as the closest thing to a Disney Barbie. There's nothing there other than the beautiful design to latch onto--and it is quite beautiful, no denying, particularly when she's in the blue dress. I don't dislike Aurora as much as I once did--I think her being cardboard almost suits SB in a way, just the design of the film sort of makes me think of a pop up book at times.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:05 pm I think it'll do okay as long as the Dwarfs are still in it, which I think they are considering one actor was hired anyway. The outfits and everything at least look pretty faithful unlike TLM, even if some story decisions are not. I don't think I'll see it in theaters though, but I am interested in seeing it for Gal Gadot and the new P&P songs. Probably the first day it appears on Disney+.

But I agree with you on Zegler v. Bailey, Sotiris. Zegler seems like a jerk stirring for drama with all her comments whereas Bailey is a sweetheart. Still, I think this film will be better than the Little Mermaid remake and Mulan 2020, although that's not necessarily a recommendation. :lol:
Mufasa will be better than Snow White or Little Mermaid.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think Snow White is full of personality, too! Cutesy, kind, innocent, caring, loving, cheerful personality. And yet she commands the animals and the dwarfs, too!

That said, I don't mind ageing her up and making her grieve or want to become a leader. I do mind her losing her prince, her wish for love, and that iconic song!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

One of the many things that I’ve always loved about Snow White is that she is the only princess who, every night, kneels beside her bed and prays.

“Bless the seven little men who have been so kind to me and may all my dreams come true. And please make Grumpy like me.”

That impressed me growing up as I saw this beautiful and sweet princess as a woman of faith believing in God, and thinking of others. It’s a shame no other princess has been shown to pray, that I recall, but our culture has changed much since 1937.

Zegler’s Snow White is probably an atheist or satanist if she dabbles in the black arts like her stepmother.
Disney's Divinity

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm Mufasa will be better than Snow White or Little Mermaid.
Most likely. Gal Gadot is really the only thing I'm looking forward to about this one--well, and the original songs by P&P could be fun possibly. I do love "Speechless," "This Is Me," and "Never Enough" by them (and Menken on the first song).
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:52 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm Mufasa will be better than Snow White or Little Mermaid.
Most likely. Gal Gadot is really the only thing I'm looking forward to about this one--well, and the original songs by P&P could be fun possibly. I do love "Speechless," "This Is Me," and "Never Enough" by them (and Menken on the first song).
Me too.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

We got a Merry Christmas greeting from Rachel Zegler of Snow White on ABC’s Disney Parks Magical Christmas Day Celebration Parade.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yup, I saw someone added a snap on Instagram. It said her name, and Snow White underneath.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

To be honest, I don’t think I’ll be watching this film.

I haven’t watched the sequel to Enchanted among other titles that have been released the past two or three years.
I’m not even sure I’ll be watching The Little Mermaid anymore even though I still might because I would be curious to see how the filmmakers handled the first part of the story.
As for this Rachel lady, I can’t stand her nor the comments she made on the original film. She made it clear that I have no business watching it.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I kinda hate the comments she made about the original too.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

I’ll still see it.

But I think Mufasa: The Lion King will be the better movie since Barry Jenkins hasn’t insulted the original movie and holds it in reverence for when he was watching it on VHS with his nephews and nieces.